• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Graphical Fidelity I Expect This Gen

miklonus

Looking at Max's preview of Monster Hunter Wilds, the faces of the characters look Devil May Cry 4 era to me, even PS3 era. They need to look more like the faces in the RE remakes. I like the graphics on the monsters, even though I hate the way they animate, 'cause they have those 30 frames per second, almost stop-motion animation to them. They look like they run at a 60 frames per second clip, or a higher clip than 30 fps, but they are being displayed in a 30 fps container and it makes it come off wonky.

I never tucked with Monster Hunter as a series, even though I downloaded the iceborne game for free, but this game has my interest. The desert environment is fuckin' with me though, 'cause I've been triggered from Stellar Blade's boring-ass and totally misplaced desert environments that have no business being in a so-called "action" game. You're an action game but you got Assassin's Creed-style side quests/fetch quests? Fuck kinda game design is that? And why would you have a bimbo bitch juxtaposed with all that dour gloomy death? Who the fuck chose this, ha ha ha.

GymWolf

Gold Member
Looking at Max's preview of Monster Hunter Wilds, the faces of the characters look Devil May Cry 4 era to me, even PS3 era. They need to look more like the faces in the RE remakes. I like the graphics on the monsters, even though I hate the way they animate, 'cause they have those 30 frames per second, almost stop-motion animation to them. They look like they run at a 60 frames per second clip, or a higher clip than 30 fps, but they are being displayed in a 30 fps container and it makes it come off wonky.

I never tucked with Monster Hunter as a series, even though I downloaded the iceborne game for free, but this game has my interest. The desert environment is fuckin' with me though, 'cause I've been triggered from Stellar Blade's boring-ass and totally misplaced desert environments that have no business being in a so-called "action" game. You're an action game but you got Assassin's Creed-style side quests/fetch quests? Fuck kinda game design is that? And why would you have a bimbo bitch juxtaposed with all that dour gloomy death? Who the fuck chose this, ha ha ha.
Don't worry about the desert thing dude, monster hunters games always had varied locations and this one is open world so probably even more variety.

And every location in wilds has a 2 phase thing so they transform into something else.

But yeah graphic is whatever, hopefully the animal ecosystem is gonna be super strong, i wanna see if they can make something better than world, rdr2 or even far cry primal.

miklonus

Don't worry about the desert thing dude, monster hunters games always had varied locations and this one is open world so probably even more variety.

And every location in wilds has a 2 phase thing so they transform into something else.

But yeah graphic is whatever, hopefully the animal ecosystem is gonna be super strong, i wanna see if they can make something better than world, rdr2 or even far cry primal.
Oh no no no I won't. I won't worry about it. I'm sure Capcom are much more capable developers than first-timers Shift Up. But, I am 45 years old, and I have seen far too many barren open worlds, mainly deserts, in my time, with the most boring and life-draining side quests that you can imagine. Stellar Blade should have played more like Devil May Cry, and Bayonetta, or something totally original altogether, instead of God damn side quests that make you think of a fucking Assassin's Creed game. I see a desert and get shook.

Edit - There are things I like about Stellar Blade, but there is too much jank in it. People giving it a 90% at MetaCritic in the users' category, as well as thinking it should be a game-of-the-year candidate, and third-world gas huffers. They need to knock that low-rent shit the fuck off.

Last edited:

ChiefDada

Gold Member
Lol, the Jamir Blanco "developer" should be embarrassed and ashamed of himself. How do us forum dwellers know the distinction between "real-time" and "in-engine" but he doesn't? I'd be ashamed to employ him. Please stay over at Xbox.

This also highlights Microsoft's penchant for deceiving people with the "in engine" capture. Say what you will about Sony, they're always up front by saying straight up "Not Actual Gameplay" for any pre rendered marketing they push out. The in engine caption means shit nowadays especially for UE5 since it is used in actual movie asset production.

Alex11

Couldn't disagree harder. From what I've seen so far this honestly has some of my favorite visuals in quite a while. The color, contrast, and stylized character and environment design is just gorgeous.
We agree to disagree, nothing wrong with that. I am all for art style or stylized games, but here for me is hit and miss.
That was really only the first game though. 2 and Inquisition were both very stylized and continually less gritty. I do get that that continually shifting visual design is hard for fans though. I played a bit of the previous games but never got super into them so I don't have that attachment.
Yeah, that is true, but even if 2 and 3 were stylized and a bit more colorful, they still didn't go overboard, you can't tell that when you compare the demons you don't see how much of a shift it is, to the point that it contradicts with the serious story.
And Origins is the best one, and one reason is that "gritty" look, if they really want that big of a change, why not make a new IP, wait..., this Bioware isn't capable of that.

Imagine if Elden Ring 2 or Bloodborne 2 or whatever From game did that, it wouldn't fit.
But seriously though, if you want a "gritty dark fantasy world", you've got... everything else. The Witcher, Baldur's Gate, every souls and soulslike game... Personally I'm super tired of that. It's overdone and boring. Give me a unique stylized design any day of the week.
I don't want other games to have the "gritty stuff", I want DA, if not, it's fine, it's not for me and I won't buy it, nothing to cry about.

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
Lol, the Jamir Blanco "developer" should be embarrassed and ashamed of himself. How do us forum dwellers know the distinction between "real-time" and "in-engine" but he doesn't? I'd be ashamed to employ him. Please stay over at Xbox.

This also highlights Microsoft's penchant for deceiving people with the "in engine" capture. Say what you will about Sony, they're always up front by saying straight up "Not Actual Gameplay" for any pre rendered marketing they push out. The in engine caption means shit nowadays especially for UE5 since it is used in actual movie asset production.

Let's not pretend Sony doesn't do the same thing here. Sony has regularly mislead their customers with their trailers. Just off the top of my head, look at Killzone 2, or Uncharted 4, or The Last of Us Part II.

miklonus

Um...........Spider-Man's puddles? Are we "sure" Sony is always up-front? Analog (_future) already pointed out the other examples of Sony's misleadings. This board sure loves them some Sony.

GymWolf

Gold Member
Oh no no no I won't. I won't worry about it. I'm sure Capcom are much more capable developers than first-timers Shift Up. But, I am 45 years old, and I have seen far too many barren open worlds, mainly deserts, in my time, with the most boring and life-draining side quests that you can imagine. Stellar Blade should have played more like Devil May Cry, and Bayonetta, or something totally original altogether, instead of God damn side quests that make you think of a fucking Assassin's Creed game. I see a desert and get shook.

Edit - There are things I like about Stellar Blade, but there is too much jank in it. People giving it a 90% at MetaCritic in the users' category, as well as thinking it should be a game-of-the-year candidate, and third-world gas huffers. They need to knock that low-rent shit the fuck off.
I thought stellar blade was a nice 7\10.

Hunnybun

The animations are wonky as shit. Everything was great until the characters started moving within actual gameplay.
Edit - It's in 4k60, yet the characters move like they're in 30 frames per second. It's off.

I think it's just that the video is encoded at 60fps.

I'm almost certain the actual gameplay is just at 30. I mean, that's WHY it looks jerky and shit. It's not off, it's just 30fps.

Msamy

The animations are wonky as shit. Everything was great until the characters started moving within actual gameplay.
Edit - It's in 4k60, yet the characters move like they're in 30 frames per second. It's off.
I am sorry for bad quality video but i found that those original extended gameplay videos was provided to youtubers in 1080p quality expect for the following video which present the open world of the game it's provided in 4k

Msamy

Couldn't disagree harder. From what I've seen so far this honestly has some of my favorite visuals in quite a while. The color, contrast, and stylized character and environment design is just gorgeous.

It seems lately we've had a lot of impressive tech with mediocre art direction, along with some really nice art direction with mediocre tech. It's rare to get them both together, but I feel like Dragon Age really nails that. It really looks unique - you're not going to confuse this with The Witcher or any of the other generically realistic games. And for once it seems like they have some really strong tech to back it up. Assets for the most part look top-notch, and that hair! Oh my gosh. I seriously can't get over that.

That was really only the first game though. 2 and Inquisition were both very stylized and continually less gritty. I do get that that continually shifting visual design is hard for fans though. I played a bit of the previous games but never got super into them so I don't have that attachment.

But seriously though, if you want a "gritty dark fantasy world", you've got... everything else. The Witcher, Baldur's Gate, every souls and soulslike game... Personally I'm super tired of that. It's overdone and boring. Give me a unique stylized design any day of the week.
Aside from it's arts style and gameplay i really like the graphics in the first 10 minutes in it's trailer

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Next-gen consoles better have enough juice to have VFX that can keep up with the rest of the fidelity of the games. Tired of seeing goofy ass VFX on these current-gen games, the sand on SM2 for example was embarrassing af
Spiderman 2 targets native 4k in its fidelity mode. pretty much all other next gen only games target 1440p or below. The consoles have enough juice, Sony devs just waste it on chasing native 4k pixels. Or 60 fps at higher resolutions.

Msamy

As we keep saying SlimySnake SlimySnake
Bloomberg confirmed lacking of sony current gen big title's due to their strategy to focus in live service games , this article make be believe we won't get anything special in September only live service games like marathon
(Later this year, PlayStation will publish two marquee titles: Astro Bot, a colorful platformer, and LEGO Horizon Adventures, an adaptation of the sci-fi Horizon series that transforms the robot dinosaurs into Lego constructions. Astro Bot will be exclusive to PlayStation 5, while LEGO Horizon Adventures will also come to PCs and to the Nintendo Co.'s Switch.

It's a stark contrast from previous holiday seasons, during which the console manufacturer typically spends hundreds of millions of dollars on big exclusives such as Spider-Man and Ghost of Tsushima that tell adult-focused stories. But with some major titles delayed and fewer projects in the pipeline due to a pivot to "service" games that went awry, PlayStation will look to bolster holiday console sales by reaching a new audience. The PlayStation 5, released in 2020, has so far sold 54 million units.)

Last edited:

Lethal01

So now we are gonna say the piss filter era was good? They used it because it was popular, not because they wanted a "feel" for it....every game had it at that time and it looked stupid. MGS 4 was even worse. MGS 5 was set mostly in a desert area and no piss filter and the game looks 10 times better. No thanks, they can keep their piss filter, I prefer actual beautiful vibrant fidelity.

It was from a time when everyone used it and became unpopular. It was an artistic choice they commited to for the entire game so if you are gonna make a remake that actually captures the original it is needed. without it simply doesn't look like a remake of Metal Gear 3

Last edited:
Well, you're right lmao. This pisses me off so much ffs. It shoulnd't be too hard to have 10 fucking bamboos staying on the ground for at least 30 seconds. ^^

Let's not pretend Sony doesn't do the same thing here. Sony has regularly mislead their customers with their trailers. Just off the top of my head, look at Killzone 2, or Uncharted 4, or The Last of Us Part II.
You forgot ghost of tsushima

GooseMan69

I am sorry for bad quality video but i found that those original extended gameplay videos was provided to youtubers in 1080p quality expect for the following video which present the open world of the game it's provided in 4k

As I expected. Very nice looking environments, kinda meh everything else. A fancier, souped up version of what they’ve been doing for years now.

Draw distance looks nice though.

Last edited:

JCreasy

As we keep saying SlimySnake SlimySnake
Bloomberg confirmed lacking of sony current gen big title's due to their strategy to focus in live service games , this article make be believe we won't get anything special in September only live service games like marathon
(Later this year, PlayStation will publish two marquee titles: Astro Bot, a colorful platformer, and LEGO Horizon Adventures, an adaptation of the sci-fi Horizon series that transforms the robot dinosaurs into Lego constructions. Astro Bot will be exclusive to PlayStation 5, while LEGO Horizon Adventures will also come to PCs and to the Nintendo Co.'s Switch.

It's a stark contrast from previous holiday seasons, during which the console manufacturer typically spends hundreds of millions of dollars on big exclusives such as Spider-Man and Ghost of Tsushima that tell adult-focused stories. But with some major titles delayed and fewer projects in the pipeline due to a pivot to "service" games that went awry, PlayStation will look to bolster holiday console sales by reaching a new audience. The PlayStation 5, released in 2020, has so far sold 54 million units.)

This is such a gut punch.

Well, I’m excited for Marathon at least. I’ll be happy to see that.

Darsxx82

Great video compiling and demonstrating the beauty and level of fidelity of Hellblade 2. I really continue playing different chapters and I never cease to be surprised by the graphic level achieved.

It makes me very interested and eager in what they can offer in Project MARA.

platina

I'm sorry but should i be impressed by these enviromental details and character models in 2024?

DDx5gkW.jpeg
Yp5Z3NV.jpeg

How many dwarf dicks do i have to suck to get some tessellation on those fucking walls?
It’s like the same black character preset repeated on all three characters…they look eerily similar.

I don't doubt The Coalition.

I think there's reliable insider Shinobi who also stated that 'people aren't ready' for the new Gears of War. So I do expect a game that's visually up there.

GymWolf

Gold Member
Looks ok, graphics are unfortunately last generation. It's the HB2 effect I think, I'm currently playing Separate ways Resident Evil 4 DLC after finishing HB2 and it looks a gen behind (I originally thought RE4 remake looked good).
Do you expected for an open world to have the same graphic of a glorified tech demo.
Not even gt6 is gonna get close to hb2 when it comes to pure details except for things like water, fire, smoke, hairs and other minor stuff maybe.

Not saying that outlaws is incredible looking, i'm always been pretty cold about it.

Portugeezer

Gold Member

Sad but true. DICE were the worst when it came to this. Their "in engine" Frostbite stuff was a big step-up compared to their actual gameplay.

Portugeezer

Gold Member
Looks ok, graphics are unfortunately last generation. It's the HB2 effect I think, I'm currently playing Separate ways Resident Evil 4 DLC after finishing HB2 and it looks a gen behind (I originally thought RE4 remake looked good).
I just played R4make and no, it is very much a PS4 game. Although the 60fps is appreciated on current gen consoles.

Audiophile

Still so impressive to this day. This is right there the "oh shit this is nextgen" moment. I still remember watching this with my friend and we both were in awe
Crazy thing is back then and throughout the PS3 gen too. I was watching these presentations in 480-720p, heavily compressed streams on one quarter of my little laptop screen and I could still clearly see the difference or was regularly blown away.

It was obvious when the leaps were there, the compression resulted in lost detail and artefacts but you could still tell. There was something fundamentally different about the visuals on display.

Now I'm watching on a 55" 4K OLED with 4K60 streams and very little is jumping out and making me go wow like it did back then.

Last edited:

Msamy

Some people's share video's of Wolverine m13 build running on high end gpu and it looks really good and have better graphics than many current gen games which showed in june events, the first leaked video's from m13 build didn't give it it's justice , after those leakers release that m13 build to public and many test it with it's max graphics settings it looks really good, and considering this m13 are from October 2023 and the game are gonna release in 2026 with many of it's graphics features (which confirmed from leaked documents) not implemented yet i really can't wait for it, also i didn't like insomniac work in sm2 graphics but now i can see the huge difference in wolverine case.

Neo_game

It’s strange I used to find this game impressive looking but now I don’t see it

It is possible, once your eyes, senses get used to it. For me Black myth Wukong is a pretty amazing. I thought it was a vaporware.

Moreover I used to think that Unreal 5 has some inbuilt software RT. Wukong pretty much has all RT features except RTAO for some reason, according to this video:

nashman

Playing The Alters demo on steam. Damnnn first real UE5 game(demo) for me. Nanite and lumen in full glory. DLSS balanced , Ultra everthing, 100plus FPS on 4070ti. Very impresed.

peish

Gold Member
This sequence was just unbelievable 11 years ago, it still looks incredible today.

I recall this, one of the many things that made Xboxone DOA.

I hope 5090 has good PT acceleration. Today we have micropolygons for massive geometry and insta-loading, game worlds are large yet looks substantially loaded with details.

The next visual jump is PT imo. Nvidia save us all with Blackwell please.

Top Bottom