• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Greenberg "BIG Hellblade II global and regional Marketing starts next week"

Zheph

I have seen it on some social medias but I guess many here don't have any

The Muppets Laughing GIF

StereoVsn

Biggest would be Indy, but I think they overvalue the Indy brand. Indy hasn’t been big in like forever.
I mean last two movies were complete shit, so …. The only people wanting Indie would be probably Gen-X and maybe some older Millenials. However dev team and movie teams seem to be focusing on “Modern Audiences “ so good luck.

midnightAI

I know this is off topic, but has anyone ever explained the titling of this game?

The first one being Hellblade: Senuas Sacrifice
And the second being Senuas Saga: Hellblade 2

Why the switch of the title? Shouldn't it be Hellblade 2: Senuas Saga? It's like the Hellblade part of the title is now secondary to the Senua part.

Last edited:
I know this is off topic, but has anyone ever explained the titling of this game?

Why the switch of the title? Shouldn't it be Hellblade 2: Senuas Saga? It's like the Hellblade part of the title is now secondary to the Senua part.

It's a metanarrative thing, nothing makes sense, from the voices she hears, to the story or the game title.

~~~time warp back to 1999~~~

The first one being Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain
And the second being Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver

Why the switch of the title? Shouldn't it be Blood Omen 2: Soul Reaver? It's like the Blood Omen part of the title is now secondary to the Kain part.

midnightAI

~~~time warp back to 1999~~~

The first one being Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain
And the second being Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver

Why the switch of the title? Shouldn't it be Blood Omen 2: Soul Reaver? It's like the Blood Omen part of the title is now secondary to the Kain part.
I'd argue that one is even worse, they took the sub title and made it the title and gave it a new sub title.

Kssio_Aug

This game will bomb.....I cant believe they have no campaign for it. Its the biggest exclusive release of the year for Xbox. Right?
Yeah. With such an incredible marketing campaign, I think it's a given that the game has no chance to meet their expectations whatever it may be.

I think no one, outside of the gamer community, have a clue about the existence of this game. Maybe they saw it in the "coming soon" of the Game Pass section, but have no idea that it was supposed to be one of the biggest releases for Xbox in 2024, because it definitely has not been treated as such.

Last edited:

N30RYU

Isn't this digital only? Doesn't look quite wise to spend more money on marketing on a digital only game that doesn't look is gonna drive game sales... maybe some months subscriptions tho

Last edited:
I actually get that since that was my initial reaction when it first came out. I think I didnt understand what they wanted from the 1st or 2nd puzzle and bailed. But I played it about a month ago and completed it. I'll just say no normal person is beating this game in 3 hours and posting that like its accurate is totally misleading. The game is more story focused for sure and I dont think it will appeal to everyone, but I actually really enjoyed it once I got into it. Surprisingly solid combat system with more options than you would expect given how much people are exaggerating the lack of gameplay here. Multiple solid boss fights. Multiple puzzles.

There's room for improvement which I hope I see in the sequel, but acting like this is some 3 hour cutscene is just literally not reality.

Yeah, it's not a 3-hour game, more like a 6-7 hour one.

Played it and finished it on the ONEX before getting an XSX and... while I did enjoy the audio/audio production (which is binaural) and the desolate, decrepit world and atmosphere, there's really not much of a "game" in there to talk about.
Fighting/battle scenarios are...there just to prolong the already short game time.There's 2-3 different combos that you can perform which the game doesn't even tell you - not that it matters since you can just button mash your way through.
Rest of the game is listening to "voices" and doing silly "align the symbol" puzzles.

Its more of an "experience " than a game really, and while I don't necessarily regret "playing" it, I could have done without it and nothing of value would have been lost.It's just "mid" like the young'uns say as games go.

I don't see the sequel changing any of that, this is not a game with high sales potential aka "for the masses®" like the Uncharted, Halos, Forzas, Gears, Gods of war and what have you of the world.

Also - and with the fear of sounding warz-y - It's gonna be pretty... "interesting" seeing all those shitting on Death stranding, Uncharted, God of war etc by labeling them "boring 3rd person sims" all these years actually defending this man, if you know you know, I mean, there's already a defence force for this and it's not even out 😉

My prediction? this will tank hard no matter the good reviews due to "muh mental health problems, so brave" and Ninja Theory's days are numbered.

In fact, I'd go as far as to say that they never were any good to begin with, H.Blade on the PS3 was a mediocre and utterly forgettable product riddled with graphics problems, Enslaved was another movie-game with gameplay so automated that makes Uncharted look a hardcore game in comparison, Bleeding edge tanked hard and died prematurely and DmC - while their most gameplay heavy game - still didn't hold a candle compared to the Capcom ones.

Just a terrible, hipstery company all around, can't grasp how they managed to stay afloat all these years.

Also - and with the fear of sounding warz-y - It's gonna be pretty... "interesting" seeing all those shitting on Death stranding, Uncharted, God of war etc by labeling them "boring 3rd person sims" all these years actually defending this man, if you know you know, I mean, there's already a defence force for this and it's not even out 😉

Yeah, it's not a 3-hour game, more like a 6-7 hour one.

Played it and finished it on the ONEX before getting an XSX and... while I did enjoy the audio/audio production (which is binaural) and the desolate, decrepit world and atmosphere, there's really not much of a "game" in there to talk about.
Fighting/battle scenarios are...there just to prolong the already short game time.There's 2-3 different combos that you can perform which the game doesn't even tell you - not that it matters since you can just button mash your way through.
Rest of the game is listening to "voices" and doing silly "align the symbol" puzzles.

Its more of an "experience " than a game really, and while I don't necessarily regret "playing" it, I could have done without it and nothing of value would have been lost.It's just "mid" like the young'uns say as games go.
I'm looking forward to it. I don't think it's going to be some blockbuster sales trend. It's a short game with some interesting artistic ideas launching on the sub I already have. Will buy it down the road on sale. I agree it's more of an experience given the huge focus on graphics and audio, but I've played so many games that were less "gamey" than this one. It's still got puzzles, combat, and bosses. Took me about 9 hours and I missed some collectibles I didn't care to go back to get. I enjoy multiple visual novels as well with almost no gameplay.

Loomy

Thinks Microaggressions are Real

They're hoping - or were hoping - to grow the franchise and Senua's journey beyond the 'Hellblade' moniker.

Mortisfacio

Going to definitely be some beautiful photos.

I feel like I'm in the minority, but I'm actually excited for this game. I don't think it will be a GOTY type or some AAA blockbuster that it seems to sometimes be portrayed as, but I really enjoyed the first one for what it was. I also have a distorted viewpoint of the first, however. I played the game 100% with headphones and on an edible so it was just a really great experience.

Loomy

Thinks Microaggressions are Real
I feel like I'm in the minority, but I'm actually excited for this game.
Microsoft kind of sharted all over themselves the day the global marketing push was supposed to start for this game. People should have been talking about Hellblade last week, but they were instead talking about Xbox closing Tango, and then the next day saying they need more games like the last one Tango made for them.

ShaiKhulud1989

Gold Member
9q1vXcb.jpeg

👀. the confidence is massive and growing.
Lol, what a take. Reviewer actually need to find time to complete the game, record the game, replay the game, make some additional runs for raw footage, find time in an already busy schedule to actually make some additional media about it... There's a reason why even 7-10hr plot-driven games are usually provided by publishers well in advance.

This situation is not a red flag. It's a Kirov Airship hanging around the Liberty Island.

Last edited:
Lol, what a take. Reviewer actually need to find time to complete the game, record the game, replay the game, make some additional runs for raw footage, find time in an already busy schedule to actually make some additional media about it... There's a reason why even 7-10hr plot-driven games are usually provided by publishers well in advance.

This situation is not a red flag. It's a Kirov Airship hanging around the Liberty Island.
The game isn't even available for preload yet, probably some last minute optimization going on.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
This is the most game pass title to ever hit game pass.

Cannot fathom a game more made for the platform.

This is the game back in the day I would absolutely rent from block buster on Friday and bring back on Saturday to then rent something else.

I can’t wait to see the memes from this one.

ShaiKhulud1989

Gold Member
The game isn't even available for preload yet, probably some last minute optimization going on.
You do know that the review builds are usually pre-release, right? Especially considering that the game is on PC too and it's worth nothing to share a little bit rough build with the press with the disclaimer about 1.0 changes.

It's just less than a week away from the release after a 7 year dev cycle. If anything, it only raises more quiestions. And those are not good questions. At this point I fully expect even for DF to miss the release deadline with the tech review, let alone read some truly insightful critique about the game and it themes.

Orbital2060

Is saving money on expensive pr campaigns not part of the subscription economy? You save money on every point between digital delivery and consumer. Printing and packing discs and plastic, shipping. commercials, everything to activate a customer to pull out their card and preorder online or in a store.

With a sub service like game pass, all you need is to announce when the game is available. Ie «the show begins at this hour on this date».

Gambit2483

Going to definitely be some beautiful photos.

I feel like I'm in the minority, but I'm actually excited for this game. I don't think it will be a GOTY type or some AAA blockbuster that it seems to sometimes be portrayed as, but I really enjoyed the first one for what it was. I also have a distorted viewpoint of the first, however. I played the game 100% with headphones and on an edible so it was just a really great experience.
😂 Don't feel bad, I did the same thing (accidentally) with High on Life...that too was an...experience

DarthPutin

Wait, does Hellblade 2 wish it was Stellar Blade?
It would probably prefer to be Helldivers 2.

In seriousness, I'm glad artsy title like this exists, and indeed it's 'perfect for GamePass' - or it would be. Seems like it's coming out at most inopportune time. It should get great reviews and bring some prestige to GamePass as "videogames are art" kind of title, except MS changed boots while crossing the river and now is mega interested in sales potential, which is weak. Not for console warring, but in present circumstance they better release it on PS.

Top Bottom