• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GTA V PC Full Graphics Options Revealed

If 4K@60FPS on one 980 is possible, I think many here have little to worry about. SEEMS well optimized based on some of the latest reports. If you have anything above a 570, 1080p@60FPS seems very possible.

x3sphere

If 4K@60FPS on one 980 is possible, I think many here have little to worry about. SEEMS well optimized based on some of the latest reports. If you have anything above a 570, 1080p@60FPS seems very possible.

Seems too good to be true... even if it is well optimized I'd expect SLI would be required to hit those frames in 4K.

Glass Joe

It's great to read that they seem to be taking great care in porting the game over. Are there any tests yet for more modest set-ups? Will there be a benchmark tool in game? I'd hate to succumb to the hype and pre-order a $60 game only to find it chugging like LA Noire or GTA IV.

My PC I've been really happy with for the price, as I'm getting visuals between PS3-PS4 or sometimes better at 1360x768. Max Payne 3 runs great for me on High as does Sleeping Dogs with the High-Res pack, but my quad core AMD cpu doesn't seem great for open world stuff. The GTX 570 a friend gave me has been doing great for my needs which is 720p. Is running GTA V at 720p @30fps a realistic goal or is it going to be dipping into the low 20's (or worse) when racing around like IV did?

Kezen

Banned
It's great to read that they seem to be taking great care in porting the game over. Are there any tests yet for more modest set-ups? Will there be a benchmark tool in game? I'd hate to succumb to the hype and pre-order a $60 game only to find it chugging like LA Noire or GTA IV.

My PC I've been really happy with for the price, as I'm getting visuals between PS3-PS4 or sometimes better at 1360x768. Max Payne 3 runs great for me on High as does Sleeping Dogs with the High-Res pack, but my quad core AMD cpu doesn't seem great for open world stuff. The GTX 570 a friend gave me has been doing great for my needs which is 720p. Is running GTA V at 720p @30fps a realistic goal or is it going to be dipping into the low 20's (or worse) when racing around like IV did?

Your CPU will perhaps hold you back more than anything. A 570 should more than sufficient at 720p. It can do 1080p on many 2012-2013 games.
What's your CPU ?

Glass Joe

Ouch, it won't do miracles.
Your GPU is fine.

I would strongly advise you against pre-ordering.

Glad for the advice. My understanding is certain Rockstar games like Noire and GTA IV chug a little more than they should because they're not optimized for 4 cores. That's why Saints Row IV and Sleeping Dogs I can maintain a full 60fps in most situations. However I agree it may be smarter to wait even though my CPU is stronger than minimum requirements.

Kezen

Banned
Glad for the advice. My understanding is certain Rockstar games like Noire and GTA IV chug a little more than they should because they're not optimized for 4 cores. That's why Saints Row IV and Sleeping Dogs I can maintain a full 60fps in most situations. However I agree it may be smarter to wait even though my CPU is stronger than minimum requirements.

GTA 4 is well optimized for 4 cores.
http--www.gamegpu.ru-images-stories-Test_GPU-Retro-Grand_Theft_Auto_IV-test-GTAIV_intel.jpg

Glass Joe

GTA 4 is well optimized for 4 cores.
I read a lot of complaining about IV here back in the day. It actually runs pretty well on my computer, but it does dip to low-to-mid 20's when intentionally stressing it (driving as fast as possible). Maybe I was thinking of what I read about LA Noire and applying it to GTA since it was the same publisher. But regardless it's a reminder that GTA V could be an issue for me regardless of how well it's handled, even though I passmark bench 2x the min.

I'll see if any articles or chatter pop up after release to see if it's worth trying, assuming they don't make a demo or tool like RE6.

Kezen

Banned
I read a lot of complaining about IV here back in the day. It actually runs pretty well on my computer, but it does dip to low-to-mid 20's when intentionally stressing it (driving as fast as possible). Maybe I was thinking of what I read about LA Noire and applying it to GTA since it was the same publisher. But regardless it's a reminder that GTA V could be an issue for me regardless of how well it's handled, even though I passmark bench 2x the min.
La Noire was capped at 30fps. What settings are you using for GTA 4 ? You can make it run very well if you understand what sliders do.

Even a well optimized GTA 5 will not run nearly as good as you think it will, if I were you I would just forget about it until you can afford a gaming CPU.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
La Noire was capped at 30fps. What settings are you using for GTA 4 ? You can make it run very well if you understand what sliders do.

Even a well optimized GTA 5 will not run nearly as good as you think it will, if I were you I would just forget about it until you can afford a gaming CPU.
Why is the a10-7800 not a 'gaming' cpu?

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/amd_a10_7800_kaveri_apu_review,10.html

It should be fine for GTA V, then again it should be fine for GTA IV.

Yudoken

Get ready to max it at glorious 720p/30!

Or you can run it at a solid framerate with better detail than the consoles.

1080p/30 with normal/ high settings should be possible.
Don't forget the PS4 equals a 750ti with a lot of settings which aren't available on pc.

Nzyme32

ShadowWorks should have HBAO+

NVIDIA ShadowWorks consists of different technologies to provide cinematic shadows.

HBAO+ is a SSAO algorithm designed to achieve high efficiency on DX11 GPUs.
Advanced Soft Shadows provides a simple interface for adding high quality efficient shadows to games. It improves on PCSS to reach new levels of quality and performance, with the ability to render cascaded shadow maps, and multiple spot lights.

Key Features - HBAO+
  • State of the art SSAO (FullScreen, FlickerFree, ArtifactFree)
  • Interleaved rendering
  • Scalable
Key Features - Advanced Soft Shadows
  • State of the art soft shadows (PCSS, MVSS, ...)
  • Support for cascaded shadow maps
  • Simple but powerful interface

Kezen

Banned
ShadowWorks should have HBAO+

Key Features - HBAO+
  • State of the art SSAO (FullScreen, FlickerFree, ArtifactFree)
  • Interleaved rendering
  • Scalable
Key Features - Advanced Soft Shadows
  • State of the art soft shadows (PCSS, MVSS, ...)
  • Support for cascaded shadow maps
  • Simple but powerful interface

It says ShadowWorks and one of the large parts of that is HBAO+

When a game supports HBAO+ it's clearly stipulated, "shadowworks" here refers only to PCSS I think.

Guffers

I wonder what will be the optimal settings for a GTX 780, i5 4670K, 16GB of RAM. Hopefully we can help out each other when the game arrives.

This is my rig too (I only have 8GB of RAM but I doubt that will be too much of a factor) I have my 4670k clocked at 4.4.

I'm hoping for 1080p/30fps maxed or 60fps on cut down settings. Only a few days to go now!

dex3108

Be real HBAO+ is not in game. I just hope that somebody will find HBAO+ flag that works for GTA V (there wasn't one for GTA IV).

viveks86

Goddamn it! I caved and bought it again when I saw the discount on GMG :/

May be this time I'll actually play it longer than a couple of hours!

laxu

GeForce page mentions Nvidia ShadowWorks support and HBAO+ is part of that. It could mean only the soft shadows though.

Kezen

Banned
There isn't any HBAO+, according to PC gamer here are the shading options:

Soft shadows options: softer, softest, AMD CHS, Nvidia PCSS

Nothing in the option screenshots show HBAO+
PC Gamer alluded to "ambient occlusion options" but it's clear enough that we will only have the choice between SSAO and HBAO. :/

GeForce page mentions Nvidia ShadowWorks support and HBAO+ is part of that. It could mean only the soft shadows though.
The Witcher 3 supports HBAO+ and this is stipulated clearly on the page. Or games supporting both PCSS and HBAO+ like FC4 make that very clear on their page :
http://www.geforce.com/games-applications/pc-games/far-cry-4

Nothing to cry foul about of course. I hope their HDAO/HBAO implementation is solid.

Top Bottom