• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GTA V PS4/XONE Downgrade - Version 1.00 Vs 1.08 Comparison [edit: BUG]

If this improves the stability of the frame rate then I'm all for it. Cutting back on a few minor graphical bells and whistles, that most people wouldn't even notice, makes sense if the game runs smoother as a result.

LeleSocho

Banned
DQNo1Ws.png

As long as the framerate is better i really don't mind.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Not thrilled about this. I don't care to play Heists, and if that's the culprit for this downgrade I'd happily remove online functions from the game for a graphical upgrade.

It's a shame we don't have an option to turn down patches.

bj00rn_

Banned
I don't know the exact reason. But this wouldn't be the first time the console version was downgraded to make room for expansions. The Fallout console versions was infamously downgraded every time new DLC was made.

glaurung

If they did in fact disable tesselation or POM (I have no idea what POM is) in favor of having better multiplayer performance, they'd better include a setting to re-enable that in single player.

Blastoise

Banned
Frame rate still dips when driving around with a lot of traffic. Not sure what R* actually improved. Pop ins also seem more frequent, but it could be that I'm just more conscious of them.

We need a proper DF analysis.

DryvBy

The PC version ran better and had much higher quality graphics options. You posting some silly google search which leads to uninformed postings does not mean a thing. You cannot alter history mate. I am sorry that you turned up the quality sliders and expected 60fps on machine that was not capable.

GTAIV on console is low res, and runs below 30fps constantly. If you want, the PC version was able to turn down to the extremely low levels avilable on the console version and ran just fine. You do not need to max the sliders.

I had no idea you could optimize your PC game to settings appropriate to your system. This is news to me. I've just running ultra on everything, no wonder I'm not getting 4k/60fps.

The PC version had problems. There's a number of reviews that mention it. I'm sorry that sometimes PC games have problems but it happens.

Angel_DvA

This is Next Gen !!!

Seriously, WTF Rockstar ? who cares of tiny frame drops when you have to downgraded that much your game for a minimal improvement, fix this now.

I had no idea you could optimize your PC game to settings appropriate to your system. This is news to me. I've just running ultra on everything, no wonder I'm not getting 4k/60fps.

The PC version had problems. There's a number of reviews that mention it. I'm sorry that sometimes PC games have problems but it happens.

The PC version had problems on the CPU side if you maxed the sliders (every light cast shadows, massive draw distance, etc..). That was about it really. Uninformed people had problems, that is it.

This is Next Gen !!!

Seriously, WTF Rockstar ? who cares of tiny frame drops when you have to downgraded that much your game for a minimal improvement, fix this now.

This is current gen. Seriously we're already more than a year and a half in it, we can stop calling it "next" gen.

DryvBy

The PC version had problems on the CPU side if you maxed the sliders (every light cast shadows, massive draw distance, etc..). That was about it really. Uninformed people had problems, that is it.

Lol, ok. As long as you didn't have problems, it was fine.

I'm not a moron when it comes to PC gaming as I've been a PC gamer since Wolfenstein 3-D. I know how to tweak my games. I had issues getting the game stable in traffic and I had issues with it crashing due to the social club. The thing about PCs is that not everyone is going to have the same experience. Calling all who had problems "uniformed" is really laughable.

Basically this. People keep claiming how it was a bad port because it asked a really good PC... but for what settings ?
The truth is, GTA IV can even run on a tablet nowadays... the truth is, if you wanted to run GTA IV on console levels, aka sub-HD, lower draw distances and such, you could do it on a modest computer.

Derp

Perhaps it was a bug? It just doesn't make sense to me. I personally don't own the game on PS4/XB1, but how was the performance before the downgrade for those who play the game? Did it need improvement?

I don't understand why they would do something this significant (especially the vehicle damage downgrade). I mean, why not do that to the PS3/360 versions as well? They don't run well at all.

My money is on a bug, or bugs.

I am ok for the most part with the downgrade, I did notice it was running much better. I am bothered about the changes to the car damage though....

Lol, ok. As long as you didn't have problems, it was fine.

I'm not a moron when it comes to PC gaming as I've been a PC gamer since Wolfenstein 3-D. I know how to tweak my games. I had issues getting the game stable in traffic and I had issues with it crashing due to the social club. The thing about PCs is that not everyone is going to have the same experience. Calling all who had problems "uniformed" is really laughable.
It isn't laughable because your impressions are uniformed. It was the performance metrics at the time showed the game was CPU limited... and for obvious reasons. I do not wish to insult you btw, but there only way one can claim otherwise (beyond perhaps a driver problem?) would be a level of ignorance. The game scaled high and low... and the highend options were hard on PCs of the time. That is all.
Basically this. People keep claiming how it was a bad port because it asked a really good PC... but for what settings ?
The truth is, GTA IV can even run on a tablet nowadays... the truth is, if you wanted to run GTA IV on console levels, aka sub-HD, lower draw distances and such, you could do it on a modest computer.
Indeed. My friend ran it on a gaming laptop in 2009 on higher than console settings and it was above 30 fps. You just had to keep your graphical options in mind.

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
I did think something looked odd the other day when I took a screenshot. The AF was pretty bad compared to how it had been.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Forget finally diving into Bloodborne tonight, now I have to pop this in the Bone to see if I can notice any difference in performance and visuals.

Personally I think the game felt fine to begin with.

Kimosabae

Banned
Worst generation.

But hopefully, console users realize how subjective "optimization" really is. There should be toggle options a la PC for this stuff.

I mean, to me, it doesn't look that huge of a downgrade and I would have never noticed if while playing.

Crappy as it may be to Graphics Queens I don't think I can realistically throw up my arms for this.

Heist is fun and it's working moderately. I think that's what matters mostly right?

Eos

Doesn't look like I'd notice it while playing
Not that I would care anyways, the game would still be fun

Z3M0G

I'm not happy about this, but I'm sure while actually playing the game, none of these are noticeable, except for the pop-in which really does blow.

Fuck me, the mental gymnastics by some people on here are incredible.

People reason that R* downgraded the console version because it had some extremely sporadic framerate drops, limited to high-traffic in cities and huge explosions. The drops are far fewer and further than those experienced on the previous-gen consoles. This makes the game 'broken', a downgrade this severe 'justifiable', and is evidence that devs can't release good looking games for this generation of consoles. Ignoring that it ran fine on launch, looking far better!

On the other hand, the abomination that was GTA IV day one on PC is now said to have 'run fine'. Absolute revisionism.

Want to know why console gamers and PC gamers just don't get along? Shit like this. Get off your high horse.

(This doesn't apply to all, just a specific few, too many however to quote all of them. Also, let it be said that I think this is all just incompetence from R*, and will be reverted in the next patch.)

Cavalier

Banned
watch the video if you have not already, it also affects the awesome car damage and tones it down a lot.

What. The. FUCK!?

What is the point of this other than making their PC version better than it seems? I haven't had severe frame rate issue so it can't be that.

On the other hand, the abomination that was GTA IV day one on PC is now said to have 'run fine'. Absolute revisionism.

Want to know why console gamers and PC gamers just don't get along? Shit like this. Get off your high horse.
It is not historical revionism.
GTAIV on PC isnt the prettiest game, but its options made it scalable. Unfortunately this is the same time period where people complained about crysis being so heavy all day without realizing that you do not need to run the game at Very High. A very similar situation happened with GTAIV.

Top Bottom