• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guide To Tell Asian Soulslike Action RPGs Apart

R6Rider

Gold Member
Hadn't seen some of these.

I still think most of them look good though. Would be better to have more setting and theme variety.

Why are there so many all of a sudden? It's not like the popularity of the originals is a recent thing. Did the CCP have some sort of ban in place that prevented Chinese studios from making games in the genre up until now?

Aion002

You didn't like Khazan? Really?!
Nexon is shady at best.

So I am really cautious about it, same thing with The First Descendant...

Also, Nexon games have a lot of monetization, p2w stuff and they shutdown games really fast.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Nexon is shady at best.

So I am really cautious about it, same thing with The First Descendant...

Also, Nexon games have a lot of monetization, p2w stuff and they shutdown games really fast.

UGH! Why did you have to tell me these facts? Life was better before I read your post. :p

Now I'm not excited for Khazan. :(

Didn't know Nexon was about that life. This sucks!

Last edited:

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
If it weren’t for the fact that you posted the videos, I would have 100% believed this was an AI-generated post with fake games.

TrebleShot

Gold Member
Lol look at this shite each one worse than the last I don't want to hear complaints about story driven third person games again.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
tumblr_mej0woW95Q1qk6wc3o2_500.gif

Thanks OP, this is a great guide, big help for everyone. I'm interest less in the ones that just souls clone, and more in the ones that are meaty RPGs. It's good see there's some interest here alongside the tired old frog in the well comments.

Why are there so many all of a sudden? It's not like the popularity of the originals is a recent thing. Did the CCP have some sort of ban in place that prevented Chinese studios from making games in the genre up until now?
No just like western AAA games these obviously take years to make. The explosion in game dev has coincided with the economic boom china experienced within the last 10 or so years. Entire megacities the size of New York have sprung up from basically scratch over there in this time period.

plip.plop

A tsunami of Chinese and Korean folk inspired action rpgy soulsy games is heading our way.

Since there seems to be no way to tell some of them apart, please enjoy this mid-tier effort post to help you all out making your bets on near to distant future bangers and stinkers.
What Do You Mean GIF by Strapped Entertainment

j/k nice guide.

kiphalfton

Gold Member
When we gonna get DMC ripoffs again (and before people say FFXIV, that's one game and had the same person involved as DMC).

Need more games without stupid stamina bar, that instead has a butt load of combos.

Maybe that's too difficult for devs to pull off.

When we gonna get DMC ripoffs again (and before people say FFXIV, that's one game and had the same person involved as DMC).

Need more games without stupid stamina bar, that instead has a butt load of combos.

Maybe that's too difficult for devs to pull off.
Don't worry the commies got ya covered, pretty good indie slash em up:

Top Bottom