• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 Second Expansion: Path of Fire - September 22

SPOILERS Ranger New Elite Spec
The Ranger gets the Soulbeast which will merge you with your pet. You basically go Super Saiyan and get new abilities based on which pet you merge with. And yes that means you go petless so you don't have to manage the pet.
I just recently got back into GW2 after quitting post-HoT, and re-rolled as a Sylvari ranger, so that sounds great!
I hope it's a toggle without any time limit. I wanna be pet free!

Keasar

Will see if the Expansion seems fun to play, but is there any point at all to get back into GW2 now? I got to lvl 80 with some classes but whenever I looked at the endgame stuff all I saw was bothersome grind to do. Getting Legendaries was a grind. Just getting dungeon armour was a boring grind since unlike their promises "every time you run a dungeon, you get something", you get usually some tokens that is maybe a quarter of an item plus some worthless crap that doesn't sell for more than a few coppers. The only cool looking stuff I ever got was the stuff that you could buy through the Gem Store, everything else just took so much goddamn time to get.

Has the combat improved or is it still the whole "chaotic battles of whatever"? It was one of my biggest peeves with the game. While it sounded nice on paper, the lack of that class Trinity made combat just chaotic and trying to play roles of being able to take more damage or heal others felt pointless, was better to just go all-out-damage and try to kill the boss quicker. Or did I miss some layer of depth that isn't apparent?

Gonna start season 3 a few weeks before this releases. Almost up to my target of 15k gold so I can just buy what I want from the gem store when it comes out as well.

I could never get how people earned so much goddamn money in GW2.

I spent quite a bit of time in the game but all I ever found was always worth maybe at most 1-2 gold.

The reason I even have now around 150-200 gold is that I sold a ton of my materials I had gathered over the years because I never spent time crafting and it was just gathering dust, but then got yelled at for "wasting my materials" that I needed to build Legendary Weapons, which was ridiculous since what I needed was like 6-8 times more of all those materials I would never gather and the time I would never spend trying to get one of those stupid Legendary Grind Weapons, it would take forever plus my sanity to get even one and people have like 5 of those I've seen.

...it would take forever plus my sanity to get even one and people have like 5 of those I've seen.

I have twelve legendary weapons, six legendary armor pieces, and a legendary backpiece, and that's still small-time compared to the actually rich players, haha.

Keasar

I have twelve legendary weapons, six legendary armor pieces, and a legendary backpiece, and that's still small-time compared to the actually rich players, haha.

I still hate that Crafting was a must-do part of getting one.

Crafting have always been one of the least interesting aspects of a MMO since it's never lucrative, building items in a oversaturated market where everyone builds items and sells them at basically cost is a time waste. Like weapon crafting, why bother making a sword when a person can just do one or two quests and get one better for free? Who would ever buy them?

Plus in order to reach rank 400 of Crafting (was it 400?), people said I needed like 1200 gold, possibly more, of materials to do so. And like I said, it is a miracle I even have 200. My best bet is to buy a ton of gems and sell them to even stand a chance and I don't have that kind of money.

Mifec

I still hate that Crafting was a must-do part of getting one.

Crafting have always been one of the least interesting aspects of a MMO since it's never lucrative, building items in a oversaturated market where everyone builds items and sells them at basically cost is a time waste. Like weapon crafting, why bother making a sword when a person can just do one or two quests and get one better for free? Who would ever buy them?

Plus in order to reach rank 400 of Crafting (was it 400?), people said I needed like 1200 gold, possibly more, of materials to do so. And like I said, it is a miracle I even have 200. My best bet is to buy a ton of gems and sell them to even stand a chance and I don't have that kind of money.

I needed like 40 or so to max crafting last month when I got back.

Keasar

Hm, maybe time to look into it again. Will see after they announce the expansion, depending if it piques the interest to get back into GW2 at all to begin with.

Morokh

Yeah these days using a guide to cut costs you'll have to give around 40 gold to get to 400 and around 110 gold for the most expensive professions to go from 400 to 500.

150-200 gold isn't really hard to achieve these days.

And there are some niche recipes in the game you can make money with since the expansion, mostly around Guild Upgrades and Raid Food.
Linseed Oil is also still somewhat profitable although far from what it was around launch.

Freeman76

Hm, maybe time to look into it again. Will see after they announce the expansion, depending if it piques the interest to get back into GW2 at all to begin with.

Its easy to make money if you can be bothered with TP flipping. Go to GW2TP.net and buy some of the more profitable items that are cheap.

I would usually put buy orders of around 40 for each of the runes/sigils for example. Ranger and trooper runes are pretty good, you can usually make around 10-20 silver per flip, often more than that. As you learn what items sell well and put in buy orders that fill quick, you end up with loads of possibilities.

My advice is to do this while playing though, dont make the game about flipping or it gets painful.

I used to make Berserker's Intricate Gossamer Insignia. they sold faster than the armor itself but once people realize this the greed tank the prices...still sells for 9g but it used to sell for more...17g at one point, even made the ascended one when they were like 89g now they are 69g..

Mifec

Yeah these days using a guide to cut costs you'll have to give around 40 gold to get to 400 and around 110 gold for the most expensive professions to go from 400 to 500.

150-200 gold isn't really hard to achieve these days.

And there are some niche recipes in the game you can make money with since the expansion, mostly around Guild Upgrades and Raid Food.
Linseed Oil is also still somewhat profitable although far from what it was around launch.

Was a less for me to max 400-500 tailoring thankfully.

MartyStu

I am very curious to see what the mechanic for the specs ends up being.

Engineer especially. That class has a really wonky core that necessitates some very out-of-the-box thinking.

Freeman76

I used to make Berserker's Intricate Gossamer Insignia. they sold faster than the armor itself but once people realize this the greed tank the prices...still sells for 9g but it used to sell for more...17g at one point, even made the ascended one when they were like 89g now they are 69g..

Yeah there is always a great money maker Im usually to LTTP though. People always say 10k is a lot but this is small change to most people who flip the TP. I was flipping precursors a few weeks back but its such a risk that I gave up on it lol

luulubuu

Buy the new expansion and you will get the old one free, their business model is different from other MMO companies, so if you are new to the game and you buy second expansion, you will get the GW2 free and Heart of Thorns expansion free...

You mean like World of Warcraft. The game which gives you every expansion minus the current one if you pursache the base game?

Reani

i skipped entirely on HOT but have base game since beta.

what are my chances to have hot content for free? i'd like to try it out and if its alright i might return and buy new expansion. is there any chance of that happening?

gw2 on release was a great game but bugged to death so i stopped playing after like 130 hours. and when HOT came out i had little faith in the game

Goldrush

How does other MMOs deal with increased mobility abilities? Trying to imagine how crazy a GW2 map in a far future expansions will be when they have to incorporate all the prior skills.

SPOILERS Ranger New Elite Spec
The Ranger gets the Soulbeast which will merge you with your pet. You basically go Super Saiyan and get new abilities based on which pet you merge with. And yes that means you go petless so you don't have to manage the pet.

ALSO FOR ALL SPECS
I have found evidence that every elite spec gets an entire new armor set for their class, not just a piece of armor this time around.

Liiiies! That is way too good to be true!

nataku

Still haven't played through HoT or any LS3 stuff. After being so disappointed with the previous expansion and the direction the game was heading I pretty much abandoned the game. I've always wanted to come back, but every time I logged in to play I'd log right back out after 10 minutes.

15 minutes left! Hyyype!

On a related note, you guys should check out the healthy Instagram community of Guild Wars 2 players. Some stunning screenshots there, just search #guildwars2 on the app.

Shameless plug: I run my own roleplay Instagram page. :D

yWEPyra.jpg

Grudy

I don't think I'm gonna see anything too crazy but all I'm hoping for is a good trailer here with their signature concept art style. Some good music too.

Nivert

I won't be able to watch live but I've been wanting to play again recently and the leaks looked pretty sweet so I'm excited

Doikor

Hype. Played a lot during the original release. Came back for a ~200h or so of HoT and had a blast. Will come back for this too.

Top Bottom