• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Half Life: Alyx will be coming to PlayStation VR2 - Shpeshal_Nick

Makes sense otherwise what are PS gonna put on another RES VR title and some more generic on-rail BS.

Expect things like GT & Elite Dangerous Maybe even EA with a new Dirt Rally?

Last edited:

Putonahappyface

Gold Member
Sweet Jebus please be real.

I Hope Please GIF

carlosrox

Banned
Hmm, pretty damn interested if it's true and plays well/without major compromises.

Big HL fan but haven't touched the game cuz I wasn't about to shell out that money (plus other logistical reasons) for one game. And yes I'm aware I could get more than one game but you know what I mean.

Rivet

• Half Life Alyx to PSVR2 for launch
  • PSVR2 becomes a SteamVR compliant device and PSVR(1&2) games eventually ported to PC

It just makes too much sense for all concerned for it not to happen.

That would be good for everybody and it would fit Sony new PC strategy.

Edit : but porting psvr2 games which will include eye tracking and haptics could be nearly impossible

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
It really won't make much sense to console players who never got to play original games.
They could bring orange box to ps5 too.

Anyway - Alyx is incredible. I finished it two times and found it very NOT replayable. But it must've been the best gaming experience I've ever had. Like omg I've cried tears in my headset :p

FunkMiller

Gold Member
The absolute worst thing about Half Life Alyx is that there still really isn't a game that comes close to it, in terms of immersion and gameplay in VR. It's head and shoulders the best experience I've had in full blown VR. Here's hoping Sony are going to help push more triple AAA games like it into the VR space. We really need to start moving away from the short, 'oh, look at that' VR experiences we currently have far too many of. Alyx proved beyond all doubt that you can create solid 10 + hour games in VR, with proper narratives, characters, gameplay loops and interactive worlds.

Herr Edgy

If there was a partnership to bring PSVR2 titles to PC and vice versa that'd boost the VR market considerably, resulting in a net win for everyone.
The inside-out tracking of the PSVR2 will likely require tweaks to HLA given that it won't be able to do the over-the-shoulder actions as well, unless there are even cameras on the side of the headset.

Hugare

• PSVR2 becomes a SteamVR compliant device and PSVR(1&2) games eventually ported to PC

This is 100% happening (maybe not Alyx at launch tho)

PSVR being PC compatible is a given, considering all the PS exclusive ports

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
Good news

But wait a second, how trustworthy this guy is?
Yep that's the problem there.As much as I want this to be true, he is a far from good source.I think that in the last 4 to 5 months he has announced a new Infamous, Sly raccoon,Resistance and teased Syphon filter (I might be misremembering some and forgot lots of others).So maybe he'll be proven right in a few months but I wouldn't hold a lot of hope.

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
This has been a fan request turned rumor over the last year or so. Coincidentally this "rumor" begins to spread after PSVR2's been given new info...
Yeah, I put literally zero stock in this rumor. It came out the same day of the other PSVR coverage. Just total coincidence.

It could still happen of course, but I could have put out the same comment just as easily. Source: my ass.

Last edited:

bitbydeath

Gold Member
Yep that's the problem there.As much as I want this to be true, he is a far from good source.I think that in the last 4 to 5 months he has announced a new Infamous, Sly raccoon,Resistance and teased Syphon filter (I might be misremembering some and forgot lots of others).So maybe he'll be proven right in a few months but I wouldn't hold a lot of hope.
He also once claimed both Microsoft and Sony were in talks to buy Square Enix.

Rudius

This is 100% happening (maybe not Alyx at launch tho)

PSVR being PC compatible is a given, considering all the PS exclusive ports
They should release it at launch, it's when it will be needed the most and before Alyx becomes outdated.

Last edited:

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
That would be good for everybody and it would fit Sony new PC strategy.

Edit : but porting psvr2 games which will include eye tracking and haptics could be nearly impossible
Well I guess like any port, they would have to re-engineer to the common denominator for the PC release, maybe make some compromises when they do the port.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!

It also makes sense to not do it just like not every other Sony console add on has worked by default on PC. If it's sold at a reduced price, at cost or even loss leading, then they may want to keep it for their own ecosystem only so they benefit from every interested party's software sales rather than have it used for Steam/Oculus/Viveport games where they gain nothing. Unless they also intend to port all their VR games to PC then and think they will sell enough there to cover costs also (which may also be much more additional work as people will expect those to work on all VR kits and not just the Sony's, which don't all have the same features on their controllers and everything else, but that also boosts Sony profits since they don't "lose" profits from a PSVR2 in that case but still get money from the software sale, but in that case they can get the software sales benefit and never provide PSVR2 for PC either, unless they think that combined both together will yield even more profit). Or somehow ask for a cut from every non Sony PC VR game that is played using their VR kit, which would be ludicrous of course.

As for Valve porting Alyx and every other VR game they may be working on to PSVR2, sure, they can do that, or even let Sony do that if they trust them with it, if they care to do it at all, whether Sony does anything PC VR related or not. It would be great if either happens but I wouldn't say it's set in stone or a no brainer for it to happen. This guy probably doesn't know shit and is just getting his name out there thinking it's a 50/50 chance for all his future posts to be "from the guy that leaked Alyx PSVR2" vs people forgetting he was wrong at this point anyway so there's actually no real risk.

Last edited:
Who is Shpeshal_Nick? A trustworthy source?
No he isn't and idk why people keep giving him attention. Most of the time he just copies what some other source said saying he heard the same thing. Last year he claimed Sekiro would come to PS+, Nintendo and Microsoft would have some kind of big announcement in the fall, and that Sly and Infamous were coming back. None of that happened.

reksveks

but porting psvr2 games which will include eye tracking and haptics could be nearly impossible
Isn't most of the eye tracking going to be for optimising rendering so you can turn it off but have worst performance.

I think the Haptics will be like Dualsense aka optional and you will have the option to turn it off.

Top Bottom