• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The PlayStation VR2 PC adapter launches August 7

THE DUCK

Banned
Gonna be interesting too see how it does now. Some huge added value being able to use it on PC as well.

It doesn't matter. Even if it starts to sell, pretty much guaranteed Sony won't produce another unit. What's in the stores will eventually sell and that will be it.
Considering the price tag, cost of adapter, and missing features, I don't expect this to suddenly sell out. It will help once the fire sake pricing hits.

Ogbert

Nah, I get to spend 60 and enjoy both psvr2 exclusives and pc exclusives. Best of both worlds. If I bought a pcvr or meta, I would have had less options.
Er, if you purchased PC VR you would have access to Steam and Meta is cable free.

PSVR2 is a bust. It’s an now an overpriced PC headset that gives you access to a couple of PS5 VR games that you need the console for regardless.

They won’t produce another unit. This is Sony done with VR.

R6Rider

Gold Member
Er, if you purchased PC VR you would have access to Steam and Meta is cable free.

PSVR2 is a bust. It’s an now an overpriced PC headset that gives you access to a couple of PS5 VR games that you need the console for regardless.

LMAO you got shut down immediately after your lame ass attempt at trolling and now are attempting to double down.

Sad Gordon Ramsay GIF by Hell's Kitchen

Ogbert

LMAO you got shut down immediately after your lame ass attempt at trolling and now are attempting to double down.

Sad Gordon Ramsay GIF by Hell's Kitchen's Kitchen
Double down?

Are you seriously so deluded that you think this is some genius Sony move? Sure, if you *have* a Sony headset now then this is a nice addition. But it’s not going to suddenly make the PSVR an attractive proposition for someone looking for a headset. That’s still clearly the Meta or any cheaper PC headset. Plus, it’s gimped the one benefit of the PSVR, being eye tracking.

You wouldn’t have access to ps5 vr exclusives

If you don’t care about the cable, it’s a better headset anyways

sendit

This is going to breath new life in to this for me. It's been collecting dust since a month after launch.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
For folks that have a Meta Quest 3 and a PSVR2. How do they compare visually?

Minsc

Gold Member
HDR is hardware dependent. There are one or two other headsets for PC VR (high end mostly digital collaboration/BIM reviews). One of the PiMax headsets support HDR, but other than that there are no other consumer models that do.

I think Apple's headset supporting HDR (and Dolby Vision on top of that) is definitely something that will influence more PC VR to have it going forward. I'd be surprised if there's not any newer PC VR headsets announced with HDR support later this year to be releasing next year.

Last edited:

Calverz

“PS VR2 was designed from the ground up specifically for PS5 – so you’ll notice that some key features, like HDR, headset feedback, eye tracking, adaptive triggers, and haptic feedback (other than rumble), are not available when playing on PC.”

and £50 for the pc adaptor?

Do Sony want this thing selling or not? Absolutely hopeless.

You pay Sony £60 for the privilege of realising you should have purchased PC VR or a Meta.
Lol wut?
I'll be paying $60 so that I can have what is for me the best of both worlds. I get to play stuff like RE Village, RE4, and Gran Turismo (which is the main reason I bought it in the first place combined with the ridiculous deal on PlayStation Direct right now), and I get to play PCVR stuff like Half Life Alyx which I've never gotten to finish all on a beautiful OLED panel. Counting in the Netflix I would have ended up paying for anyways I will have paid roughly $400 for the PSVR2, a Logitech G29, and the adapter.

What is with the recent hate boner for anything Sony/PlayStation lately?

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
To oversimplify it:

PSVR2:
+ Perfect blacks
+ HDR (well not so much for this adapter), better colors/contrast
- Mura issues

Quest
+ Much more in focus (nearly no weird visual issues) / larger sweet spot
- Bad blacks
+ Better motion clarity
Thank you. Given how much I love dark VR games then it seems like PSVR2 might be a good choice. I still keep my original Quest 1 which is OLED but the resolution is quite low.

dotnotbot

“PS VR2 was designed from the ground up specifically for PS5 – so you’ll notice that some key features, like HDR, headset feedback, eye tracking, adaptive triggers, and haptic feedback (other than rumble), are not available when playing on PC.”

and £50 for the pc adaptor?

Do Sony want this thing selling or not? Absolutely hopeless.

These features in order to work have to be supported by games and platform.

Three

Quest ecosystem seems healthy IMO and games like AC Nexus and Asgard Wrath 2 are what you describe. Sony basically released one game and was like, "welp, that didn't work" and abandoned it. Worse than Vita.
It wasn't one game. AC nexus and Asgard Wrath was 2 is that an abundance of full length experiences in comparison? PSVR2 had GT7, Horizon COTM, Resident Evil 4, RE Village, Switchback etc. It had more big games. It just didn't get mainstream appeal like Quests lower price and that's OK. It wasn't a lack of games or support in comparison though. They'll sell hardware without the loss and continue on with the multiplatform releases but the VR market isn't getting the support that regular games get. No escaping that.

Three

You pay Sony £60 for the privilege of realising you should have purchased PC VR or a Meta.
What if I told you PSVR2 is now "PCVR" and "PSVR" at the same time. Who manufactures and sells this "PC VR" hardware anyhow that you're comparing it to and at what cost?

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
I think Apple's headset supporting HDR (and Dolby Vision on top of that) is definitely something that will influence more PC VR to have it going forward. I'd be surprised if there's not any newer PC VR headsets announced with HDR support later this year to be releasing next year.
It would be nice and I think the effect works if you have enough horsepower driving it. Using the PiMax Crystal (or whatever its called) for 15 minutes at an expo event felt like I was sunbathing.

The Original Series GIF by Star Trek

The Somnium VR1 is also a great piece of hardware as well...coming in around $2200 USD or so (whey they are available). I think it outperforms the PiMax as well.

I do not know any casual (the public consumer) users who have AVP. Several of our clients use them but widespread adoption for this headset at least is looking dire.
I think their next iteration will be a much better value prop and I hope we get one.

nemiroff

Gold Member
I would assume it's because there are no PCVR games that currently support those.
That's not true though. Multiple PC games support eye-tracking, some headsets are and will support HDR. But the thing about the PSVR2 is that once Sony transitions from the PS5 to the PC domain, they lose control over the loop, making it impossible for them to guarantee support for these features. ..Unless they partner up or something. Idk, perhaps there are even proprietary challenges, or licensing agreements in play.

The Somnium VR1 is also a great piece of hardware as well...coming in around $2200 USD or so (whey they are available). I think it outperforms the PiMax as well.
Not only great, but arguably the best "consumer" type headset, and yes it outperforms the Pimax Crystal (well, idk about the Super version). They both have aspheric glass lenses, but the total throughput and optical clarity (and sweet spot) in the VR1 is supposedly superior. I want one..

Last edited:

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year

Why you mad? Comparing $60 with a completely new headset? This will be a no brainer for everyone the PSVR2 and pc.

They will also sell more headset with this news.

Well that was a bit pointless, why would anyone care if it don’t support all features of the headset lol.

Last edited:

Mindman

Can't we just force HDR like we can with any Windows game with RTX HDR or Auto HDR? It seems like Windows will see this as an another monitor essentially, right?

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
I have no idea why some people actually think previously you need a PS5 as part of the equation for this to work. Like seriously thinking that you will just connect a PC to a PS5 to play PCVR games on PSVR2, which part of that makes sense?

Minsc

Gold Member
I have no idea why some people actually think previously you need a PS5 as part of the equation for this to work. Like seriously thinking that you will just connect a PC to a PS5 to play PCVR games on PSVR2, which part of that makes sense?

It's not that hard a concept and been explained. The exact same PS5 that currently decodes and outputs data to the PSVR2 could do that exact same thing from an app that streams video the exact same way the Quest 3 does without the need of a single adapter. I'm not sure what you don't understand. Logically this is the better solution for Sony as it ensures everyone using the PSVR2 is forced to buy a PS5, which is their goal.

Last edited:

Neofire

It's not that hard a concept and been explained. The exact same PS5 that currently decodes and outputs data to the PSVR2 could do that exact same thing from an app that streams video the exact same way the Quest 3 does without the need of a single adapter. I'm not sure what you don't understand. Logically this is the better solution for Sony as it ensures everyone using the PSVR2 is forced to buy a PS5, which is their goal.
People think that Sony shouldn't push individuals to buy their platform which is baffling to me. Sony is in the business to sell their hardware and software. I know some want Sony to just completely abandon the PS5 just to prop up the PC community fully and that just isn't going to happen.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch

No offense but that lacks common sense. it drastically increase the price, more complication in terms of process and setup, more latency, physical space and electric power. No sane person will think having both PS5 and PC running concurrently just to play PCVR games on PSVR2 hardware is a feasible idea, when PC users can streamline the process by using a headset that can connect directly to the PC.

ReBurn

Gold Member
It's good that people have the option to use their PSVR2 headsets on PC. It's an expensive device and this provides more value. I'm not a fan of the price but maybe it's something that could be copied and sold cheaper by a third party.

Kilau

No offense but that lacks common sense. it drastically increase the price, more complication in terms of process and setup, more latency, physical space and electric power. No sane person will think having both PS5 and PC running concurrently just to play PCVR games on PSVR2 hardware is a feasible idea, when PC users can streamline the process by using a headset that can connect directly to the PC.
It sounds very "sony" which is probably why a few people expected it. Still, this isn't a perfect solution but better to be sure.

Minsc

Gold Member

I mean it's almost exactly how it works on the Quest 3. It's cheaper, I'd be able to do it without spending anything. There's no latency involved that would make any difference, it's a fully wired loop. PC > Ethernet > PS5 > PSVR2. Physical space does not change for me. Nor does electricity really, the PS5 would provide the power for the PSVR2 and running a video decoding app isn't going to send the system in to overdrive. Using your fan to cool you down would likely draw more power than adding the PS5 to the equation.

Why do you feel the need to bring this up again when it's been discussed to death and wasn't the outcome? I'm not sure what your goal here is, other than proving your incapable of understanding this would be a solution that ensures Sony sells a PS5 to anyone who intends to use a PSVR2 for PC VR. Which is Sony's goal here, they want people buying games on a PS5.

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit

So, if I bought a PC VR headset I would have less choice for games... like I just said.

With a PSVR2 headset I get both PC VR games AND PSVR2 games. Not really seeing the downside, but keep on console warring little buddy.

Top Bottom