• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Half of Great Barrier Reef coral 'dead or dying' due to global warming & 93% bleached

Status
Not open for further replies.

CornDogg

Final_Fantasy_VII_(PSX)_008.png

:(

You should read your own link...

Update: The researchers did not find that vegetarians or vegetarianism are harmful to the environment, or that producing vegetables is more harmful to the environment than producing meat.

What they found, in light of the data they examined, is that producing some vegetables and other foods results in high use of natural resources – and that eating more of those foods (as recommended for health by the USDA) in two particular scenarios results in higher energy use, blue water footprint and greenhouse gas emissions.

Other research suggests that eating less meat is a good thing for the environment. One previous study found that following a lacto-ovo vegetarian diet (no meat, fish, or poultry) would result in a 33 percent decrease in greenhouse gas emissions, and vegan diets go even further, with a 53 percent decrease in emissions.

All that study said is that it isn't efficient to eat a low-calorie dense diet of things like lettuce. So yes, if we all decided to try to live on lettuce and celery, it would be bad, but that doesn't mean that a proper vegetarian diet isn't more efficient than a meat based one.

All that study really does is point out yet another way that the USDA's recommendations are wrong.

Did you know that sun screen washes off and kills the coral extremely quickly as well.
So people having on holiday may not realize that a quick snorkel out to see the coral wearing SPF , may most likely have dire consequences on the coral!
If you are fortunate enough to live near coral then just a light wetsuit is a far better option.

Also as a scuba diver this is extremely depressing.
Coral are the lungs if the sea.

Darren870

The opposite is equally true though. When my parents were kids/young adults the local major river was so polluted that being anywhere near it made you smell death, animals simply left. Thirty years later and my parents are seeing things creatures that they thought they wouldn't see again because we cleaned our shit up and a lot of nature is coming back. Seeing eagles come back every year for nesting isn't something that happened 20 years ago.

Sure it's true to some extent, but no way will it be what it used to. We've pushr more animals and fauna to near extinction or extinction then is imaginable. A good chunk from habitat loss.

Hell they keep finding marine animals with plastic and even car parts in their stomachs.

However, while the West is starting to realize their fuck ups and restore the damage. The greed, corruption and consumerism we have are causing other countries to destroy their land. We fuel this, but it's all out of sight out of mind.

Well when the amount of plastic in the oceans outnumbers the amount of fish in the ocean, you know you've got a problem.

We've treated the ocean as our dumpster for at least a century and only now are we finding ways to clean it up. But that's not even related to the bleaching - the heating will continue until the nations of the world actually move on from oil and coal as the only source of energy.

Dryk

Ain't Australia ran by some climate change deniers? Maybe they'll change their tune when an economic feature is threatened.
No they won't because there's nothing to see here. They believe it.

"Of course the Great Barrier Reef will be conserved for generations to come. And we do not believe that it is in danger.

"In fact, the Australian government is making every effort to ensure that the Great Barrier Reef is preserved for generations to come and that was the point that I had made to the Secretary of the Interior and a point that we made to the White House after President Obama's speech, to reassure him that he can most certainly visit the reef, he can most certainly bring his family, that the Australian government takes most seriously our responsibility as the custodian of this magnificent environmental and tourism attraction."

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-polit...lie-bishop-20141120-11r5cu.html#ixzz46VHGZWJi

Moosichu

That study doesn't actually show anything. All it says is that "calorie per calorie, some vegetables use more resources than some meats", which is true. But you don't see a vegetarian replacing meets with things like lettuce and broccolli. It's usually Soy, nuts, meat-substitutes, eggs, cheese and other high-calorie substances (which probably are better for the environment).

The planet isn't dying. The planet doesn't give too shits. Life will go on, in some form or another, humans however wouldn't.

GorillaJu

How many of you in this thread have made changes in lifestyle to help reduce the effects of climate change?

I use public transportation, separate all my trash, buy only super low-energy models of electronics, eat a diet very low in meat and almost never eat beef, and I base a lot of my voting decisions on whether or not it would benefit the environment. I talked my parents into solar power for the house.

I can do more (everyone can) but I'm not just sitting back and consuming more and using more.

undu

No one cares.

You go to a new Android thread with people talking about buying another smartphone when they already bought one a few weeks ago or new PC thread with people talking about buying their annual graphics card upgrade.

You see threads about new consoles incoming or people complaining about cases/figurines. Get excited about more unrecyclable plastic.

People smoke and continue to eat tons of meat despite environmental concerns.

People dump meds/garbage down the sewers, and that affects the water quality over time.

People think their actions don't affect the present now, then the problem doesn't matter.

LhWByIv.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom