• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Half of I9-13900K and I9-14900K units are defective, according to tester

Draugoth

Gold Member
Intel-Core-i9-13900K-Raptor-Lake-Desktop-CPU-Performance-Leak.jpg

The tester is the owner of a studio that buys several CPUs for their own needs. In invoices shared by the tester, it is revealed that he has bought and tested at least 100s of Intel Core i9-13900K and Core i9-14900K CPUs and it looks like almost all of the chips he acquired had some sort of issue in terms of stability. Motherboards used by the studio include ASUS's Z790, B760, Z690 and B660 boards.

The software he runs requires each CPU and PC to pass through a certain variety of tests and at the Auto profile set in the ASUS motherboards, the majority of CPUs fail this test and have to be resold. Based on these tests, the tester determined a probability rate respective to the CPU's stability & it is shared below:

• Intel Core i9-13900K "AUTO -253W" - 40/50% (4/5 out of 10 units stable)
  • Intel Core i9-13900K "Reduced Loadline" - 50-60% (5/6 out of 10 units stable)
  • Intel Core i9-13900K "B760/B660 Board" - 60-70% (6/7 out of 10 units stable)
  • Intel Core i9-14900K "AUTO - 253W" - 20% (2 out of 10 units stable)
  • Intel Core i9-14900K "Reduced Loadline" - ~30% (3 out of 10 units stable)
  • Intel Core i9-14900K "B760/B660 Board" - 40% (4 out of 10 units stable)
via Wccftech

RhyDin

I uh..I have the 14700k. Between this thread and the other one about "oodle decompression failures", am I safe?

I uh..I have the 14700k. Between this thread and the other one about "oodle decompression failures", am I safe?

If youve been fine so far you have nothing to worry about. Ive been running my 13700k stock since November 2022 and not a single crash here.

StereoVsn

See if there is a BIOS update for your board. Motherboard vendors have been playing with fire on power limits.

manfestival

Is it the motherboards fault? or intels not forcing the motherboards to 'auto' correctly. Or is it just simply the processor itself that is messed up?
Technically Intel's fault. Even on their recent statement they effectively blamed the MOBO makers fault but also claimed that they did nothing wrong since it allowed their CPUs to remain within "spec." They allowed this to happen while trying to remain competitive against AMD.

ShaiKhulud1989

Gold Member
News like these along with Zen 4 mobo issues is the reason why I'm still rocking my 5800x3d and not in a hurry to upgrade in a year or two.

HL3.exe

Yeah.... I think I'll go with AMD next time.

Intel customer here since the 90's, but between the Spectr/Meltdown shit 6 years ago (losing performance due to brance prediction vulnerabilities) and this, combined with the high power draw compared to AMD with no performance benefits...

Think I'll go for a x3D chip next.

How Intel has fallen. When I was a kid "Pentium inside" was on top of the world.
Intel was Like a handsome college football player then an accident happened and Intel can’t play anymore no one cares anymore for Intel.
AMD was like the nerd who always sat by himself in the corner then he changed his life completely now he is the most valuable college football player the best he is about to win the championship
That’s what happened 😂

Intel was Like a handsome college football player then an accident happened and Intel can’t play anymore no one cares anymore for Intel.
AMD was like the nerd who always sat by himself in the corner then he changed his life completely now he is the most valuable college football player the best he is about to win the championship
That’s what happened 😂
Intel is now a shoe salesman.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Hmm, maybe continuously selling old chips and just jacking up the power requirements to get slightly higher benchmarks isn't a good idea, who knew?

Last edited:

Celcius

°Temp. member
This is really unfortunate but hopefully this causes Intel to stop this behavior now before the 15th gen and new platform come out. I’d much rather have a stable system that lasts for years than a system at the top of the benchmark charts but runs super hot and starts degrading after a year.

killatopak

Gold Member
This is really unfortunate but hopefully this causes Intel to stop this behavior now before the 15th gen and new platform come out. I’d much rather have a stable system that lasts for years than a system at the top of the benchmark charts but runs super hot and starts degrading after a year.
perfect post and name combination.

winjer

Gold Member

The 14th Gen Core K-series of unlocked desktop CPUs has been on the market for a few months now, representing a higher clocked version of the Raptor Lake chips known from the 13th Gen Core series. It appears that the finely-tuned clocks on the new series, combined with not necessarily default motherboard settings, have caused problems for many gamers in terms of stability.

Ultimately, it seems that most vendors were eager to support the “Extreme” power profile, which not only has higher Power Limits (PL) but also allows higher current to pass through the CPU. Now, Intel reportedly mandating a new Default/Baseline profile by default, which would lock the CPU’s PL2 (Power Limit 2/Maximum Turbo Power) to 188W. This is a much lower value than the Performance and Extreme profiles, which allow up to 253W.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I read all the time in the PC thread about people refusing to buy AMD CPUs because of issues and bad experiences

Yet all I've been reading about these days are Intel issues. Asus had that issue with supplying too much power to X3D CPUs causing them to explode, but that seems to be have been completely fixed.

The blame for this screw up is on Intel and the motherboard manufacturers.

This is why I care so much about power draw and efficiency. Pumping that much power through a CPU will never be good for longevity. It can always lead to issues down the road.

Last edited:

Radical_3d

Intel-Core-i9-13900K-Raptor-Lake-Desktop-CPU-Performance-Leak.jpg

The tester is the owner of a studio that buys several CPUs for their own needs. In invoices shared by the tester, it is revealed that he has bought and tested at least 100s of Intel Core i9-13900K and Core i9-14900K CPUs and it looks like almost all of the chips he acquired had some sort of issue in terms of stability. Motherboards used by the studio include ASUS's Z790, B760, Z690 and B660 boards.

The software he runs requires each CPU and PC to pass through a certain variety of tests and at the Auto profile set in the ASUS motherboards, the majority of CPUs fail this test and have to be resold. Based on these tests, the tester determined a probability rate respective to the CPU's stability & it is shared below:

• Intel Core i9-13900K "AUTO -253W" - 40/50% (4/5 out of 10 units stable)
  • Intel Core i9-13900K "Reduced Loadline" - 50-60% (5/6 out of 10 units stable)
  • Intel Core i9-13900K "B760/B660 Board" - 60-70% (6/7 out of 10 units stable)
  • Intel Core i9-14900K "AUTO - 253W" - 20% (2 out of 10 units stable)
  • Intel Core i9-14900K "Reduced Loadline" - ~30% (3 out of 10 units stable)
  • Intel Core i9-14900K "B760/B660 Board" - 40% (4 out of 10 units stable)
via Wccftech
Cool. I didn’t know Fiat were making CPUs now.

StereoVsn

Intel is now a shoe salesman.
It did throw 6 touchdowns in one game back in high school though.

Picture of Intel CEO on hearing the news:

200w.gif

On a more serious note AMD had all kinds of shenanigans during AM4 launch and I was sweating bullets they my Asus board wouldn’t fry my 7800x3D.

Both Intel and AMD have been irresponsible and board makers keep pouring gasoline on the fire.

It did throw 6 touchdowns in one game back in high school though.

Picture of Intel CEO on hearing the news:

200w.gif

On a more serious note AMD had all kinds of shenanigans during AM4 launch and I was sweating bullets they my Asus board wouldn’t fry my 7800x3D.

Both Intel and AMD have been irresponsible and board makers keep pouring gasoline on the fire.
It's insane that you can't even trust stock settings these days.

Buggy Loop

Thanks man. It's my own fault. Hopefully this 13900KS keeps on trucking!

Looks like I'll be going for my first ever personal AMD build on the next round.

My daughters 7800X3D i got her is awesome.

current-microcentwr-7800x3d-bundle-v0-km62hwr0vzyc1.jpeg

How Americans aren’t all running to microcenter to jump on that deal right now blows my mind

From Canada, fuck you all with your amazing deals

current-microcentwr-7800x3d-bundle-v0-vxhyeq1r41zc1.png

Top Bottom