• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo:CE Anniversary Announced (MS Conf, Nov 15th 2011, $40)

Nutter

Good F'n god at the entitlement some people have. You waited 10 years to play Halo CE online, Holy F'n Crap. There is a PC version for you to play the game online. Hell it makes me wish it was just a up res version of the original without any online functionality just to see people in here blow up even further.

All I heard every where was Halo CE had the best campaign, or that Bungie keeps trying to bring that campaign charm back into their new Halo's, and its the reason why its considered a classic, but here ... holy hell some of you people act like MP was the only reason Halo got to be known as a Classic. 343 have taken the best aspect of original given you online functionality and MP that will be reflective of the old days and new days combined into the package and people still complain. No one is forcing you to buy this so please save your selves the headache and play Halo PC?

Nutter said:
Good F'n god at the entitlement some people have. You waited 10 years to play Halo CE online, Holy F'n Crap. There is a PC version for you to play the game online. Hell it makes me wish it was just a up res version of the original without any online functionality just to see people in here blow up even further.

All I heard every where was Halo CE had the best campaign, or that Bungie keeps trying to bring that campaign charm back into their new Halo's, and its the reason why its considered a classic, but here ... holy hell some of you people act like MP was the only reason Halo got to be known as a Classic. 343 have taken the best aspect of original given you online functionality and MP that will be reflective of the old days and new days combined into the package and people still complain. No one is forcing you to buy this so please save your selves the headache and play Halo PC?
except that Halo PC doesn't play anywhere near the Xbox version and has horrible netcode?

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
This is the song that never ends,
It just goes on and on, my friends.
Some people started singing it not knowing what it was,
And they'll continue singing it forever just because...

(repeat from top)

lamb-chop-puppet.jpg

I think we need to edit the HaloGaf argument circle picture to include this pointless debate about the remake not having the original multi. :/

Complain all you like, but it won't change a damn thing.

KageMaru

thezerofire said:
except that Halo PC doesn't play anywhere near the Xbox version and has horrible netcode?

Not that I'm taking sides in the topic of the lack of online MP, but doesn't the netcode issues kinda support the claim that the Halo CE engine does not play well with netcode in general?

Nutter said:
Good F'n god at the entitlement some people have. You waited 10 years to play Halo CE online, Holy F'n Crap.
Halo PC's aiming style is vastly different due to the netcode, that alone makes the xbox and PC version of the game a world apart for some people.

Yeah, PC is there, and I still do play it from time to time, but an XBL enabled H1 would be much better in my eyes.

KageMaru said:
Not that I'm taking sides in the topic of the lack of online MP, but doesn't the netcode issues kinda support the claim that the Halo CE engine does not play well with netcode in general?
From what I've read over the years, Gearbox could have implemented a netcode that was similar to H2/H3/H:R, but there was pressure from Microsoft for a 56k-friendly netcode.

KageMaru said:
I'm pretty sure Gearbox was forced to make the game compatible with Dial-Up connections, which may have had a hand in it.

Nutter said:

I don't feel entitled to anything. I really don't. And yes, Combat Evolved's campaign is my favorite campaign of all the halo games. It's simply amazing. But the fact is, I can play it right now. I can buy a disc or download it right now on my xbox. The need for a remake of the campaign has never existed.

HaloPC and XBConnect, however, are not the same thing as the original multiplayer experience, and it's not fair for people to suggest that it is. I don't have any friends close by that can LAN with me, especially enough to do 4v4 and 8v8 matches. Even if I did, the convenience of being able to play at any hour of the day at my own home isn't possible. I know my posts get out of control sometimes, but common sense should dictate that the only real reason to do a remake of Halo:CE would be for matchmaking on xbox live. That's it. That's all I'm saying and it boggles my mind that people don't agree or can't see this big obvious point.

I'm glad that people are excited for a campaign remake. Is it cool that it's being done? I guess so. Was there a need to remake it? Not really. Would bringing Halo:CE matchmaking to Live have been more special and more appropriate for a 10 year anniversary? Absolutely. No question.

Deputy Moonman said:
I don't feel entitled to anything. I really don't. And yes, Combat Evolved's campaign is my favorite campaign of all the halo games. It's simply amazing. But the fact is, I can play it right now. I can buy a disc or download it right now on my xbox. The need for a remake of the campaign has never existed.
I can play Halo CE right now via Xbox Classic games yes, but there are performance issues, no widescreen support and no online co-op. I have friends who have never played Halo CE and would like to join them in playing it in the best possible form.

I don't see how that is any less legitimate than any wishes about multiplayer.

KageMaru said:
Has this been posted before?

Someone at 343 seems to be looking into the 360 version of FXAA. Though I'm not sure if this applies to Halo CE Anniversary, Halo 4, or both.

Either way, if they are able to implement this, it should create a cleaner picture than TAA, without the ghosting.

I saw it at the Beyond3D thread about Fxaa.
Should be interested kinda stupid they didn't implemented it in Duke Nukem forever(360).
Atleast that is what i heard.

NullPointer said:
I can play Halo CE right now via Xbox Classic games yes, but there are performance issues, no widescreen support and no online co-op. I have friends who have never played Halo CE and would like to join them in playing it in the best possible form.

I think those are both legitimate, but you would be the only one getting what you want.

KageMaru

dragonelite said:
I saw it at the Beyond3D thread about Fxaa.
Should be interested kinda stupid they didn't implemented it in Duke Nukem forever(360).
Atleast that is what i heard.

With how unoptimized the 360 port was, I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't have any GPU time to spare. Man was that thing a mess (judging by the demo).

AlStrong

KageMaru said:

Someone at 343 seems to be looking into the 360 version of FXAA. Though I'm not sure if this applies to Halo CE Anniversary, Halo 4, or both.

Either way, if they are able to implement this, it should create a cleaner picture than TAA, without the ghosting.

Why haven't you posted this on the forum that cares about these things. ;)

thezerofire said:
I'm not really sure how, since the lack of CE online multiplayer is confirmed.
My personal jury I mean, regarding campaign. Whether I pick this one up or not will come down to performance improvements.

Rapture

Deputy Moonman said:
I can buy a disc or download it right now on my xbox. The need for a remake of the campaign has never existed.

I'm glad that people are excited for a campaign remake. Is it cool that it's being done? I guess so. Was there a need to remake it? Not really. Would bringing Halo:CE matchmaking to Live have been more special and more appropriate for a 10 year anniversary? Absolutely. No question.

I would have liked to seen is a custom games lobby to play multilayer with friends over Live. But full on matchmaking? CE matchmaking would be absolutely horrible, multilayer that is that unbalanced is only fun when you can turn and punch your buddy sitting next to you after he killed you ten times in a row with a pistol from across the map. Of course, this is all just my opinion. But doing a widescreen, HD, online co-op remake of the campaign is a way more fitting tribute to CE then dividing the Halo multilayer population between two games. And maybe i'm taking crazy pills but yes, that does make sense to me.

Since i bought an Xbox just to play Halo: CE when it came out i like to consider myself a Original Fan and i just checked, there's no foot up my ass. ;)

NullPointer said:
My personal jury I mean, regarding campaign. Whether I pick this one up or not will come down to performance improvements.

Agreed.

Rapture said:
I would have liked to seen is a custom games lobby to play multilayer with friends over Live. But full on matchmaking? CE matchmaking would be absolutely horrible, multilayer that is that unbalanced is only fun when you can turn and punch your buddy sitting next to you after he killed you ten times in a row with a pistol from across the map. Of course, this is all just my opinion. But doing a widescreen, HD, online co-op remake of the campaign is a way more fitting tribute to CE then dividing the Halo multilayer population between two games. And maybe i'm taking crazy pills but yes, that does make sense to me.
it wasn't unbalanced. everyone got a pistol, and the other weapons all had their place.

FyreWulff

thezerofire said:
people played settings where you didn't start with a pistol? news to me.

The fact that Halo 1 wasn't online nor had matchmaking means everyone's idea of how they played Halo with their friends varies wildly.

I only played MLG settings via XBC. Locally, we only played "No Sniping", which removed the Sniper Rifle and Pistol to make it so people would actually move around on the map and play.

Local experiences of Halo 1 LANs will differ.

FyreWulff said:
The fact that Halo 1 wasn't online nor had matchmaking means everyone's idea of how they played Halo with their friends varies wildly.

I only played MLG settings via XBC. Locally, we only played "No Sniping", which removed the Sniper Rifle and Pistol to make it so people would actually move around on the map and play.

so if those were balanced for you, what makes them unbalanced when put online?

ido

FyreWulff said:

lol Slayer Pro was what people usually played, sometimes without radar. Slayer Pro is basically a default, and everyone got a pistol.

And map control was a huge component to Halo 1.

ido

My point is that there is a huge difference between "having to do some tweaking" and "having to build an entirely new engine from scratch", which is what they would have to do to make it work. You can't just tweak CE to work well online, that's what happened with Halo PC - even with dedicated servers you have to lead your shots and the experience feels completely different.

This basically sums up the rest of your post, so I will just reply to this.

Now you're saying, tweaking is not possible and some actual real work would have to be done in order to accomplish the goal. Well, so what? Isn't that what we are paying for? If I wanted to play Halo 1, I can buy it for less than $10 and play it. If Microsoft wants people to pay $40 for a game that I can buy on ebay for less than $10(that actually has MORE content than the $40 game), then I kind of expect some work to be done on it. I love what they are doing with the campaign, but the actual experience is going to be identical to the $10 copy, with a new skin and thankfully online co-op.

I'm sorry, but, "it would be really hard to do" just isn't a very good excuse to me because I don't care about how difficult it is. It's not really my job to care about how difficult it is. I believe, personally, that if I am going to pay for Halo all over again, it should be worth it to me. Right now I'm seeing a visually improved campaign, and a removal of original MP replaced with a castrated map-pack for Reach that contains half of the map count that CE has.

statham

KageMaru said:

360 version? is this also coming to pc?

KageMaru

statham said:
360 version? is this also coming to pc?

I assume you're talking about FXAA and not the halo games right? lol

Yes FXAA is already available for developers to use on the PC, and at a higher quality to boot. In fact the Gaf favorite, Duke Nukem Forever, is the first PC game to use this form of AA. =p

Dani said:
Honest question: why the fudge have you been waiting ten years to play Halo CE online? Did Bungie make some promises? Did Microsoft? Did anybody? Why exactly were you ever expecting to play Halo CE#s multiple online over Live?

There's an inexplicable sense of entitlement from the bitterly angry CE multiplayer fans. You know what really killed off the chance of playing CE multiplayer over Live? The fact that Halo CE came out before Live even existed. It missed the boat. CE was a product of the period in which it was created. It was never meant to be played online ever.

Whilst there's nothing wrong with being disappointed with the exclusion of CE's multiplayer with CEA, folks have no place bitching about 343 letting down "patient" fans. No one should have been waiting ten years to play CE's multiplayer over Live. That's just absurd and stupid.

As much as I never exacted rallied and protested for the Halo 1 remake, it was something that I just really personally wanted to play over live. I understand your point about the fact that we arent entitled to it just for being Halo fans, but at the same time 343 are only remaking this to please the hardcore fans. As much as I dont feel entitled to multiplayer I do feel that 343 totally missed why a lot of people wanted the remake.

TL;DR - The shoe is on the other foot here, I dont feel entitled to multiplayer, but it was the only thing about a remake that I would be interested in, so seeing a remake happen without the one aspect I wanted is a little annoying.

Man I keep getting dragged into this. At the end of the day its pretty clear now that its not happening, but I dont understand how people can justify hating on people who hate on the lack of multiplayer lol, do you guys like having less options in your games? :p Its pretty sad that 10 years on we are getting a game with technically less content. At the end of the day im not a graphics guy and so the new textures dont excite me. I am very excited to have an excuse to play the campaign again, but its just not value for money considering I still have my original disk. I loved Halo 1 too much to pass it up, but I am just a little gutted that its already looking like a weak package.

DimetappWUT said:
Gearbox could have implemented a netcode that was similar to H2/H3/H:R

H2's netcode isn't that much better than Halo PC's. Players don't tend to teleport anywhere near as much (not having to cater for dialup helps a lot there), but it still suffers from the exact same problem with needing to lead targets.

It's only in H3 and especially Reach that the netcode took huge leaps forward.

Without redoing the engine it would be very difficult if not impossible to get CE to play well online, because that functionality simply wasn't there when the game was being built. I doubt many players would be too accepting if the quality was less than Reach's netcode either.

Put it this way, I'd imagine it was quite hard for 343i to get online co-op implemented, and it should share quite a bit of the functionality already present in the CE engine, since CE's LAN networking also uses lockstep.

zethren

Banned
I don't know, maybe it's because the campaign has always been what has been special to me, but every time I come back into this thread I find myself surprised by how many people are utterly upset.

I understand that the multiplayer mode is special, hell I spent hours and hours day after day at LAN parties back in the day, but the campaign mode is the biggest part of the game. What would you have had them done? Simply release an HD skin for Halo CE with LIVE matchmaking? That would be great, but I'd much rather have a remake of the campaign as I feel that is the entire point of the celebration.

Just reskinning the multiplayer and not releasing a campaign wouldn't have been enough, either. Would you have had them completely ignore the largest part of the game? Maybe the best case scenario would have been that they include both the campaign and multiplayer completely redone, but that would have taken even longer to accomplish.

You say you can just go buy a copy of the game and play the campaign as is, so you'd rather them have simply provided multiplayer with LIVE support. But how would that have been a satisfying celebration of the 10 year anniversary? There are currently 2 other Halo games that I can play over LIVE, so if I want to play Halo online I go to them. I feel like if Halo CE was released with LIVE multiplayer only a fraction of the Halo multiplayer community would play it in lieu of Reach or Halo 3, and I feel like it would wither even more shortly after release and especially when Halo 4 comes out. I guess I mean to say that there is simply no point.

I don't know, there's not much use arguing over this anyway. Unfortunately not everyone can get what they want, so you have to try and please as many people as you can. I feel like a large portion of the hardcore Halo community will appreciate a Halo CE remastering.

The more I play Reach lately the more I prefer the Halo:CE maps being released for Reach. The bloom, armour lock, double melee issues are there of course, but I feel it's the strongest Halo game thus far in terms of weapons and netcode. I played a match last night, there were 7 Australians (including myself) and a Bungie employee who was red ping every match - and the game played perfectly. There were a couple of issues where a sword lunge went a little funky when observing from a distance, or a grenade seemed to be a little behind - but otherwise I wouldn't have guessed he was from overseas at all.

I'd definitely like the option to play a dedicated Halo:CE MP experience - but inserting the maps into Reach with the Reach sandbox is something I am increasingly okay with.

GavinGT

Banned
ncsuDuncan said:
XBC takes "host advantage" to the extreme, and it's unacceptable for any serious gaming. It might be fun just to screw around on occasion, but even with the fastest internet connections available today you're going to run into latency issues that are orders of magnitude greater than what you would get over LAN.

It's strange, though. I had better experiences nine years ago playing on the peer end of XBC than I do now playing on a dedicated server in Halo PC. Also, my internet connection has gotten a lot better since then. Sure, hosts had a crazy advantage on XBC, but at least peers didn't have to lead their shots ridiculously far ahead of their targets like they always do in Halo PC. I suspect that either Gearbox did a substandard job with the netcode in Halo PC or the need to accommodate 56k users meant they had to make compromises in how the network data was exchanged between players.

You know what? I have an unlikely solution! 343 could simply bundle up the original Halo multiplayer into its own executable and stick it on the CEA disk. No graphical improvements, no netcode, not one ounce of work involved. It would appear on the main menu, or even tucked into the "Extras" menu so as not to be confused with the main Reach-based multiplayer feature. Then, and here's the unlikely part, Microsoft removes the 50-ping limit for LAN games on 360 that renders XBC unusable (which is easily done and something I personally did on my Jtag 360). Then people would have the ability to play LAN games with their buddies on the original maps, and they could also seek out how to play the maps online through tunneling software if they so wish. I would consider that a tremendous gesture to Halo's oldest fans. Even if Microsoft weren't to budge on the ping limit issue (or even make an exception to the rule only for this game), just having those maps on the disk, that measly 500 MB of data, would make me feel a lot better about purchasing this package.

FyreWulff

.. you could do that by just buying Halo 1 Games on Demand for 15$. The ping thing isn't in effect when in emulation mode for OXbox games. You can definitely use that version on XBC because I've done it myself.

GavinGT

Banned
FyreWulff said:
.. you could do that by just buying Halo 1 Games on Demand for 15$. The ping thing isn't in effect when in emulation mode for OXbox games. You can definitely use that version on XBC because I've done it myself.

That's news to me. Are you sure? I have to try it again.

When I last tried it years ago, I was unable to stay in games due to minor ping spikes.

FyreWulff

That's probably your router or the host being a douche. I've played 30 minute CTF games on XBC via H1 Originals with no issue.

Played Halo 2 via the 360 over XBC too

edit: alternately, try Xlink Kai. It might work better for you.

NullPointer said:

I admit that those are legitimate wishes. But you're comparing performance issues, no widescreen support, and no online co-op to a complete lack of online multiplayer. Your wants seem like very minor issues considering that the campaign can be fully experienced when played alone. It's the difference between being able to still enjoy something in its current state, despite some minor performance issues, versus having no real options for playing multiplayer.
Rapture said:
I won't get into the whole balance argument other than to say I disagree. But I respect your opinion.
Rapture said:
Since i bought an Xbox just to play Halo: CE when it came out i like to consider myself a Original Fan and i just checked, there's no foot up my ass. ;)
Touche!

Photolysis said:
H2's netcode isn't that much better than Halo PC's. Players don't tend to teleport anywhere near as much (not having to cater for dialup helps a lot there), but it still suffers from the exact same problem with needing to lead targets.

It's only in H3 and especially Reach that the netcode took huge leaps forward.
I played H2 extensively and I know that you didn't have to lead your shots in multiplayer, except with plasma weapons, and maybe with the sniper at huuuuuuuge distances. H2's netcode at times could be horrid, but it was nothing like PC's.

DimetappWUT said:
I played H2 extensively and I know that you didn't have to lead your shots in multiplayer, except with plasma weapons, and maybe with the sniper at huuuuuuuge distances. H2's netcode at times could be horrid, but it was nothing like PC's.

Unfortunately I beg to differ; I was shafted by H2's netcode for years. My experiences with it as an international player are the very reason I learnt about Halo's netcode in the first place actually.

The leading situation was only worse on Halo PC because of the usual starting equipment (Pistol/AR), and lack of hitscan. Compare that to the usual SMG starts on H2 and inclusion of hitscan. If you play a medium-long range game on both as a client, the experience is almost identical; lead those targets or the host will tell you you're hitting nothing but air.

DimetappWUT said:

In Halo 2 if the reticle is red, it's hit scan. If it's not red you have to lead (depending on distance and connection)

The Real Napsta said:
In Halo 2 if the reticle is red, it's hit scan. If it's not red you have to lead (depending on distance and connection)
Derp, I forgot about that, haha. I was more thinking about close to midrange battles where you don't have to lead at all, but in PC you'd have to.

Photolysis said:
Unfortunately I beg to differ; I was shafted by H2's netcode for years. My experiences with it as an international player are the very reason I learnt about Halo's netcode in the first place actually.

The leading situation was only worse on Halo PC because of the usual starting equipment (Pistol/AR), and lack of hitscan. Compare that to the usual SMG starts on H2 and inclusion of hitscan. If you play a medium-long range game on both as a client, the experience is almost identical; lead those targets or the host will tell you you're hitting nothing but air.
I'm from Australia, so I feel your pain in regards to the lag :p I wasn't right about not having to lead at all, but I'd still have to disagree with you saying that H2's netcode wasn't much better than PC's, in terms of leading.

Oh well.

Booshka

FyreWulff said:
Is the emulation in MP still bad? Every time I try it there are issues with Camo bogging the frame rate down big time, couple other things that mess with the game as well. It was too frustrating to deal with it, but if it is fixed I'd give it another shot.

I was playing with the Disc version of Halo CE on my 360, maybe the Xbox Originals download is better?

FyreWulff

I haven't had any problems with that.. I know the 360 emulator has a problem with Halo 2's camo on Backwash.

It won't matter via disc or Originals as Originals is just essentially an .ISO of the Halo 1 disc being virtually mounted by the system.

Booshka

FyreWulff said:
I haven't had any problems with that.. I know the 360 emulator has a problem with Halo 2's camo on Backwash.

It won't matter via disc or Originals as Originals is just essentially an .ISO of the Halo 1 disc being virtually mounted by the system.
do you have a Slim 360? I'm trying to see if there is a way I can fix it. I have a 2009 360

TheDanger

Banned
framerate sucked in the trailer, but I will pick it up definitely due to the reason I simply love Halo, I was pretty disappointed from Reach but I think this one will be fun even though Bungie is not involved anymore.

zethren said:
I don't know, maybe it's because the campaign has always been what has been special to me, but every time I come back into this thread I find myself surprised by how many people are utterly upset.

I understand that the multiplayer mode is special, hell I spent hours and hours day after day at LAN parties back in the day, but the campaign mode is the biggest part of the game. What would you have had them done? Simply release an HD skin for Halo CE with LIVE matchmaking? That would be great, but I'd much rather have a remake of the campaign as I feel that is the entire point of the celebration.

Just reskinning the multiplayer and not releasing a campaign wouldn't have been enough, either. Would you have had them completely ignore the largest part of the game? Maybe the best case scenario would have been that they include both the campaign and multiplayer completely redone, but that would have taken even longer to accomplish.

You say you can just go buy a copy of the game and play the campaign as is, so you'd rather them have simply provided multiplayer with LIVE support. But how would that have been a satisfying celebration of the 10 year anniversary? There are currently 2 other Halo games that I can play over LIVE, so if I want to play Halo online I go to them. I feel like if Halo CE was released with LIVE multiplayer only a fraction of the Halo multiplayer community would play it in lieu of Reach or Halo 3, and I feel like it would wither even more shortly after release and especially when Halo 4 comes out. I guess I mean to say that there is simply no point.

I don't know, there's not much use arguing over this anyway. Unfortunately not everyone can get what they want, so you have to try and please as many people as you can. I feel like a large portion of the hardcore Halo community will appreciate a Halo CE remastering.
I wouldn't say the campaign is necessarily the biggest part. It varies from person to person, how much time they spent in either mode. Personally, I played campaign a couple times and then played the hell out of multiplayer, but I understand that people did the opposite of this too.

PooBone

GloveSlap said:
I just wish the Halo remake would have came out during Halo 3's reign. I would much rather have had the remake map packs in that game than Reach. I don't really like the gameplay in Reach and I don't have much faith in any tweaks making it good enough.

What exactly do you not have faith in being changed? Bloom? Weapon selection?

I've got a wait and see attitude. Halo Fest is next month after all.

Top Bottom