• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo MCC patch out tomorrow.

Me so jelly. I wonder what factors into this? How far are you from your friend? Playing on the same network?

Hope a dev can give their input.

Just my personal experience, but I've only tried to play CE in online coop; and the experience is just weird to be honest. It's the same as it was for me on the 360, but it's like I'm having input lag with just the left stick movements. Jumping it seems there is some lag, but less than using left stick. Aiming feels like there is almost no lag.

I had the same experience with input lag in Halo 4. Never tried to do 3 or Reach online. Just from reading stuff over the years though it seams it's just something inherent with the netcode that can't be fixed without reworking the entire netcode.

I'm sure someone more knowledgeable than myself could explain it better; as I'm just vaguely paraphrasing shit I halfway remember reading ages ago. I remember people saying that it's because the netcode works in a way that the AI is synced to the host's console. That way enemies appear to be in the same spot for all people playing at one particular time, or so that one player with a faster connection doesn't happen to kill an enemy while a player with a slower connection will still have that enemy appear to be alive. So every time a coop player who isn't the host has a control input it won't register on their screen until the input is relayed to the host's box, and then the input comes back to their own console to be registered and displayed on screen.

I may be wrong on the matter so anybody who knows more feel free to correct me. It seems like it's not something that's gonna be fixed in a patch though seeing how it's something that's been present in all Halo online coop experiences.

p3tran

Banned
This update could make or break my weekend. I'm pumped though. LET'S GO.

my gametime schedule this weekend will definitely be changed drastically if mcc gets fixed,
but since I am provident, I already got unity and gta5 just in case....

ball is in 343 court

show me the money!

How often do the servers work properly?
in my case, very rarely. at launch day it was better than it was last time I checked.
so basically, not often at all, 'till now.

His post is about addressing the blame. I.E. Don't hate 343 because their publisher shipped a game before it was finished.

Jesus, he can feel whatever damn emotion he wants to feel regarding the subject.

The hell is this? Holy shit.

Halo brings out the worst in people, by the look of it.

What a dick

Do you people enjoy getting broken products? I just can't believe the amount of people that are "grateful" to the developer for fixing massive issues like HALF THE GAME NOT EVEN WORKING. When people like you just bend over and take it it only leads to more issues like this. Destiny, Forza Horizon, Drive Club, Halo MCC all in the last couple months have launched and had some massive issues. This is not an aberration, it's a trend and if more people don't let the publishers/devs know this isn't acceptable it will continue.

Do you people enjoy getting broken products? I just can't believe the amount of people that are "grateful" to the developer for fixing massive issues like HALF THE GAME NOT EVEN WORKING. When people like you just bend over and take it it only leads to more issues like this. Destiny, Forza Horizon, Drive Club, Halo MCC all in the last couple months have launched and had some massive issues. This is not an aberration, it's a trend and if more people don't let the publishers/devs know this isn't acceptable it will continue.

I understand what you're saying, but what are they supposed to do? They can't be happy a game that they paid hard earned money on is getting fixed?

Things I noticed while playing Halo 2 classic tonight that I'm not sure has been noted or addressed.

- Warthog turrets sometimes just don't deal damage for some reason. Zanzibar.

- Randomly dying from jumping on the ground. Suicide.

- Menu clicking sounds when host migration message is on screen. Maybe only split screen?

- Games start and then end immediately randomly.

- Games start with total black screen randomly.

- Uneven teams is way too common. Why do 10-cap lobbies sometimes allow 11?

- Voting system unfairly favors Slayer; objectives are last in line and rarely played. This may be a design decision.

- Stats in career pages are all wrong or data is missing.

- Post game stats dictate wrong players (killed most/killed most by).

- Halo 2 just gives everyone a bullseye emblem.

- There's no indication of who's speaking in-game. You have to guess.

- Players linger in roster post-leave.

- Post-game stats don't say who's on which team nor does it show the final score at all. Bad design.

Just a few annoyances.

derFeef

FH had massive issues??

rrc1594

What!

FH had massive issues??

On launch day when we had to wait 3 hrs for it to unlock, he had a bit of a freak out, plus the game had some issues for the first week with clubs and other server issues, nothing I would call major but an annoyance, unless you were in the dashboard beta there were some bigger issues. But even then you opted to be a beta tester for the OS that comes with the territory.

Pre-load system broke, some people were unable to play for a couple days after launch. DLC people paid and VIP status didn't work for a week after launch. There were online issues all throughout launch week.

Online issues will always be a possibility. I'm sorry but that's just how it is and will always be.

I would suggest you don't buy any games until a week after launch and you know what you are getting, as you seem very sensitive to things like this.

solid patch. looking forward to my roster filling up again.

does anyone know if they can patch the framerate drops in H2A? Most of the H2A maps dip at certain points (shrine dips at spawn, stonedips dips looking at the wheel), and several weapons cause drops (swords, sentinel beam, carbine reload). there's also a lot of framerate drops in forge related to the new terrain pieces and rocks.

hope it's possible to fix these.

Looking forward to the patch especially before a 3 day weekend. Managed to get my first match last night. Can't wait to jump into more matches.

Cels

Please fix split screen performance once matchmaking works. Halo CE anniversary and halo 2 split screen are a long way from the locked 60fps they should be at.

YES!

I so hope this will be everything we expect it to be. If not

jaxs%2B2%2Bgif.gif

Thanks for keeping is in the loop Frankie, goes a long way...

image.php

Vein

Banned
I don't expect it all to be fixed here. But I am hoping this will boost performance a little in certain areas. Maybe that will take a bit though.

I don't expect it all to be fixed here. But I am hoping this will boost performance a little in certain areas. Maybe that will take a bit though.

If thats all this does then tomorrow will be an utter shit show.

I hope for 343 that you are wrong and all their claimed fixes in that oatch report are dead on.

Jesus Christ that list. How did this game ever make it to shipping like that? Even the pre load was broken.

Here is hoping the patch isn't something stupid like 10gb in size or something. At this point though, nothing would surprise me. :/

psychotron

The game has many problems. But the most important of them right now is the matchmaking, that is the main focus of this patch. If this stuff doesnt get covered tomorrow they will certainly give attention to some of these in the next patch (I would not expect frame rate improvements though).

But we should expect frame rate improvements. They went on and on about it being 60fps and that's absolutely not what we received. They lowered the resolution in Halo 2 which I was fine with if it meant getting the 60 they were promising. Just like a functioning multiplayer, we deserve the campaigns that were promised.

So they didn't fix random disconnects in Campaign and Matchmaking, they didn't make it so you can customize your emblem in Halo 2(which is the only way to call out teammates in that game), they didn't make Halo 3's forge functional, and they didn't add the ability to join custom games in progress. :/

Oh well, at least the game will actually work for the most part now.

Shito

The core SP games work fine (been replaying all of them myself). The multiplayer issues are being addressed rapidly (and rightly so). So no, it's not what I would call "garbage". Lighten up.
Aren't there reports of chapters being skipped and saves being deleted for some of the games in the collection?
I'd say those are pretty nasty SP bugs that should be adressed just as quick as the MP ones...

Can't blame him for being steamed. We goofed, to put it politely. Many of the little issues are connected to a single, bigger big issue that didn't expose itself till we were in the wild and cascade from that.

Fingers crossed.

We'll keep you posted tomorrow.

Will we be connecting to Dedicated Servers more consistently? I remember launch night it specifically said after finding a game "Connecting to a Dedicated Sever." But I haven't seen that in a while.

Aren't there reports of chapters being skipped and saves being deleted for some of the games in the collection?
I'd say those are pretty nasty SP bugs that should be adressed just as quick as the MP ones...

Yep. For me personally, the only thing SP has over MP is that I can play an actual game but outside of that the SP is a buggy mess.

BokehKing

Banned
I understand what you're saying, but what are they supposed to do? They can't be happy a game that they paid hard earned money on is getting fixed?
They should be mad at Microsoft for pushing out yet another game that was not ready or throughly tested. 4 different engines and they didn't think this would need a beta test?

Wow, that's a lot of fixes in this patch! I wonder if those that sold the game are going to come back now?

I am still waiting to buy it, I was with my friends in party chat when their installs vanished at release and started to re-download, then they couldn't even get in to games. I figured I would wait unil the weekend and buy it then, but the problems persist.

So now I still wait and use them as my test dummies to see if the game is in a state where I can purchase it yet.

I also have slow internet so it will take me about 2 days to download so I am apprehensive about buying it digitally until I know it's working, I hope this patch does the trick.

leng jai

The core SP games work fine (been replaying all of them myself). The multiplayer issues are being addressed rapidly (and rightly so). So no, it's not what I would call "garbage". Lighten up.

Except the SP doesn't work fine for a lot of people. That's not even taking into account the poor implementation of "60fps" in Halo 1 and 4.

Vein

Banned
Wow, that's a lot of fixes in this patch! I wonder if those that sold the game are going to come back now?

Honestly, who sells a game after a week or so of problems? Weird people or people that never had the game to begin with lol. I guess if you needed to play it in that week only then sure.... but it's a game. Let's see how it works after a couple weeks.

h3ro

The core game wasn't working fine for me. Halo 3 in 4 player online co-op was nigh impossible to play because of frame drops, non-spawning players and disappearing music/sound. Our connections were rock solid and we had no issues playing any other games (Destiny/Sunset Overdrive/2K15).
Hopefully this patch irons all out the issues as when it works, the game is fantastic.

Except thats not true.
Losing my progress twice across two different campaigns.
Split Screen being borked
Hard crashes out of the system.
Bugs galore.

I'm glad your having a different experience but thats just not a fact for a lot of people

im surprised by how huge this patch is and how fast its delivered
great job from 343i there, by reading the listed fixes it sounds like matchmaking could now run stable and smooth

i hope the next patch includes the party being splitted into different teams from time to time as thats pretty much the only issue left on my list for matchmaking :)

Why didn't the game just release like two weeks later with these issues fixed?

I'm worried they have done unfixable harm to the game's online population.

Top Bottom