• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Have You ever been hospitalized?

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
5 days ago I was hospitalized because I had kidney stones.

In Friday on last week, I was on my way to work when I got intense back pain, I went to the emergency room and spent 5 days in the hospital this week.

It would be the third time I was hospitalized.

The first was from a left arm fracture when I was 3 years old... the second time when I was 5 years old because I cut off my left ear.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Last time was earlier this year for stomach pains, was diverticulitis. Before that caught a bad case of pneumonia after a trip to Japan, almost bought the farm. Really fucked up my lungs.

Last edited:

nush

Never, it's weird because it almost feels like everyone else has. Maybe I'm tough, lucky or smart to have avoided it.

Dark Star

nope. never even broke a bone. i grew up skateboarding and jumping off stuff too lol. maybe i'm just lucky.

ManaByte

Rage Bait Youtuber
because I cut off my left ear.
Mike Tyson Smile GIF

BadBurger

Many “Whelps”! Handle It!
Sure. I had surgery to remove a blood clot when I was like four or five. Another time a spider bite sent me to the hospital and doctors had to pump me full of anti venom or something and drain the bite - which had become a great big cyst (or whatever they're called).

Lasha

I caught typhoid in China once. Diagnosed at the border when I got home and I spent time in quarantine.

Ionian

Yes, 3 times last year. They basically told me to fuck off. I couldn't even walk. some tiny Asian wheeled me out to the taxi. My GP told me go.

The nurses were legends, watching people die though, it sucked balls. I saw many many terrible things. One dude had his Father die and he was in the same hospital, he watched him die. He had surgery on his leg, so had a mass on as the surgeon left a bit of scalpel in it. Got infected.

Another woman was an alcholic, lovely woman but couldn't move. Had to be serviced by nurses any time she wanted to go for the toilet, was in the bed across from me.

Girlfriend then dumped me and my Father gave out to me. I was powerless to stop it.

I only went as my Father said I wouldn't. I did and lost a bit of my soul thanks to the visit

Came back on a walker, he greated me at the door, said I looked worse. My smile dropped. Never been the same again. Lost my girlfriend and my Father, after watching people die. Point is avoid hospital if you can, it's no picnic.

Had a hernia surgery when I was a young'un, all my other hospital stays were related to my drinking.
Half dozen times for medical detoxes, one time for renal failure, and another for an esophageal hemorrhage (that one almost killed me).
Beware the booze kids!

Mahnmut

Yes, broke my arm and had surgery when I was a kid. Had to stay at the hospital a few days.
Got Zelda 2 and Metroid on NES from my parents thanks to that.
Everything went really fine but for some reason I hate hospitals since then, I don't know why. Every time I enter one, I just feel bad and I'm panicking. I'm really nervous about having to go back there when my girlfriend will give birth in a few months.

Mistake

When I was born I got a bad respiratory infection, and had to stay at the hospital for a month. Probably why I have asthma
Do you drink a lot of soda? I drink a large coke from McDonald's everyday and think maybe I should stop.
You absolutely should. Not only for your general health, but your teeth as well. Leave some scummy change in coke and see what happens, then imagine your mouth

Last edited:

Jayjayhd34

Have been sectioned multiple times so was in hospital for about month on a 136 then on ward for three months the last time.

Currently bad way again hearing voices and stuff not good but own fault for not keeping up my depo.

Last edited:

Kaachan

Many times for surgeries when I was a kid
I used to bleed randomly from my ears which caused my canals to shut. Oh, and I also broke my wrist once in PE class when I ran into a wall

CHEROKEEE

...last time was MANY years ago at age 13 in order to remove a Bullet from my Face

Was just an Airsoft Gun though... but ofcouse I make sure to always overexaggerate that story for dramatic effect when bringing it up during Dates with the ladies... :messenger_sunglasses::messenger_ok:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Many times. :goog_relieved:

Had surgery twice, one when I was like 5 y/o to remove my appendix and the other one last year because of my knee.

Also had a kidney stone once, and one of my balls has given me trouble a few times because of testicular torsion.

34 here. Never had surgery. Never spent a night at the hospital. Never had anything other than the occasional headache, flu or at worst tonsillitis.
Had tendinitis in my shoulder once. This is probably the worst thing i've ever had.

Now that i'm reading my post this sounds like a brag post...but maybe i'm just lucky or have good genes.

cash_longfellow

Gold Member
I’m 41 and have been to the hospital about 10 times or so. Mostly for kidney stones. I get them so chronically, that at this point I don’t even go to the hospital anymore unless it hasn’t passed on it’s own within about a week. I don’t take opiates. I have found that Ibuprofen, Flomax, and a natural remedy called Stone Breaker (chanka piedra?), tends to work for me. All of mine have either broken apart on their own and passed, or just passed. I haven’t had to have surgery for them. I hope those of you who haven’t experienced kidney stones, never have to. And OP, I hope you never get them again 🤞.

Tams

Yeah, got appendicitis when I was nine.

I was in an airport about to fly home, but was being sick and had a pain on my lower right. My mother was (and is) a 'tough it out' kinda person, so so am I, so I tried to tough it out (and I mean, we would have missed our flight - she was/is a frugal person/tight arse). The flight was cancelled (poor countries can't do shit sometimes) and the pain got worse so we went to a clinic. Only, we couldn't take taxi as it was the king of that country's birthday. Worse still, the rickshaw we took had to go past the royal palace. It couldn't though, so I had to walk the rest of the way. At the clinic things were speedy, and my dad popped by (gave me some orange juice, lol). The blood test was quick, so I quickly ended up at a hospital.

The doctor at the hospital looked at it and felt it, and within half an hour I was going into the operating theatre. Obviously I didn't see it, by apparently my appendix had swollen to about the size of a fat sausage (it's supposed to be about the size of your little finger) and the doctor bounced it up and down on a surgical tray.

Now, being in a poor country my experience could have been terrible, but my parents paid a fair whack to get me a private room. It was nice other than the bed pan being rusty, thus making it look like I was pissing blood. Well that and my dad coming by to visit and bringing pizza, only to try not move from the sofa and try to get me to move out of bed for it; only I couldn't due to the pain (he wasn't mean, just being clueless).

I was out in under 72 hours.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
Do you drink a lot of soda? I drink a large coke from McDonald's everyday and think maybe I should stop.

No, in fact I only try to drink once a month 1 glass or every 2 weeks, it was because I didn't drink much water because of my work, I was dehydrated.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
A couple of times:

When i was 3 i felt down on the floor while keeping a glass of water in my hand, the glass broke and one big piece pierced my cheek, they had to remove it and close the wound, i still have a cool scar.

I broke my feet and hands a couple of times at work, so i had to put a cast, no surgery tho.

I had to remove a small cist close to my upper pec last year, another cool scar to add to the collection.

Something else that i can't remember now.

Last edited:
Yes, once after feeling a really good amount of pain near my liver and after throwing up for several hours I ended up being taken to the hospital for 4 days I believe, I don't know what it was, but they said that my liver has increased in sizes and that apparently was bad, I checked myself out afterwards.

12Goblins

Lil’ Gobbie
Yes, once after feeling a really good amount of pain near my liver and after throwing up for several hours I ended up being taken to the hospital for 4 days I believe, I don't know what it was, but they said that my liver has increased in sizes and that apparently was bad, I checked myself out afterwards.
Against medical advice? (⁠●⁠_⁠_⁠●⁠)

i've never been kept in hospital overnight if that's what you're asking.

the most serious visit to the hospital for me was about 3 years ago when i got really bad flu and ended up severely dehydrated. i was drinking water but ended up struggling to drink and that's when it got worse. i always thought flu was a worse cold but holy crap that was not fun. an ambulance came for me and paramedics had to carry me out of my bed into the ambulance. i wasn't in long. hooked me up to a drip for a few hours and gave me sugar tablets and strong painkillers. that was the only time i've been in an ambulance. at least for myself...

more recently i had covid and a nasty chest infection. paramedics came to visit me because i actually thought i was dying as i was struggling to breathe. they checked me out and reassured me. i did end up going to hospital but it was only for an out of hours service.

most of the time i go to the hospital it's for an out of hours service. basically if you take ill during the night when your doctors is closed. usually they just check you out and give you a prescription and/or some painkillers. a few times i've went because i got a migraine and had to get a jag in the ass :messenger_tears_of_joy:

as a kid i visited A&E many times. most severe injuries were
  • broken ribs (skateboarding).
  • almost breaking my neck jumping off a wall and hitting my chin off another wall. have a scar on my chin. not skateboarding related. just being a stupid kid jumping walls.
  • ripped my hand open with a glass bottle. i tripped and put my hands out to break the fall. there was a lot of glass and well you know the rest. got a nasty scar which still gives me bother as the muscle is damaged. thankfully i can still move my hand and have feeling in it.
  • running in my uncles house and tripping. let's just say he had a glass table and if i had fallen even just a centimetre more to the right then i'd probably have lost my eye! got a scar at the corner of my eye.

Last edited:

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
A few times yes. I had hernia surgery when I was a kid. Also I had shingles in my 20s, I tried to treat it at home. But the pain was too severe. So I went to the hospital and they put me under morphine. Best decision Ive made.

Mossybrew

Gold Member
Surgery last year to take out a chunk of my colon. I think I was in about 7 days total. Crohn's Disease is a bitch.

Last edited:

Aesius

I had bad croup as a baby and needed breathing treatments in a hospital, and I guess that counts as being hospitalized. Outside of that, never.

Ionian

Another time I was in hospital. My Father is a landlord and a tenants guest walked into my sisters flat, off his head on drugs. She had a young child. Had one of her smokes, was delirious.

So i'm sitting in my flat after the pub and I get banging on the door, my sisters. Watch my Father get bottled, I tried to stop them but apparently holding your hands up while doesn't work. Was too many. My father after been smashed in the head got up and followed them, all the while when my sisters swung and called police.

He got fucked out, Police were there to supervise it. They never noticed the coke on the table. Fun times!

Funniest part was the police asked were he lived during the eviction.

He answer was "I'm homeless!", I cracked up laughing.

levyjl1988

Banned
Was hospitalized when I was a kid at Sick Kids. They removed my gallbladder. I ate a lot of salty snacks when I was a kid. Smartfood Popcorn is so damn delicious.

sedg87

Banned
Yep, a couple of times. First time I was only around nine years old. I was playing football (Soccer innit) at school and I had both my arms placed on a wall, trying to hold the ball up, and someone came up behind me and pushed me into the wall and my left arm snapped.

The second time was back in 2007. I only had a one-night stay. Had all the symptoms of type 2 diabetes. I Had my blood sugar levels measured and I was told it should be between 4 and 7 mmol. Mine was...29.

Kenpachii

Yea once, they though i had a heart attack ended up being some stomach infection that with antibiotics was taken care off.

Mr1999

I used to get bad panic attacks in my 20s, was a phase, but yeah I just cant be inside a hospital unless im really hurt or dying. I just hate hospitals, the food sucks, it smells and its cold and bad memories with my mom. Be healthy everyone, or at least try to be.

Top Bottom