• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Have you learned any real life skills from gaming?

Have you ever learned any real-world skills from playing games?

• Total voters

kiphalfton

Gold Member
RE4 taught many people the importance of organization and resource management.

FCtIssyXMAIAjrB

Last edited:

Bernardougf

Gold Member
Playing COD I learned how to be very brave and talk whatever I want to whoever I want ... Im going to test this skill this weekend in the real world.. wish me luck

• LOL
Reactions: Isa

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Played a bunch of Gran Turismo 2 - 4 growing up and the first time I lost control of my car IRL I naturally pumped the brakes. That definitely came from playing GT.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
All I know is that if I ever need to grab a rifle and shoot something, grab one that has a red dot or similar scope.

Works wonders when shooting guns in Vegas compared to iron sights!

StereoVsn

Absolutely. Simply look at all of the posts ITT from non-native English speakers.

I'd say if something fun could help you to learn a new language, that would be life changing.
Yeah, on a serious note playing games (with dialogue, lol) helps with language acquisition. I did that with both English and Japanese.

Of course music, media in general and books also help a ton.

nkarafo

The English language because i was playing games in English, buying English game magazines, reading English gaming forums, etc.

My computer skills because i bought a PC to play games and by troubleshooting/optimising them made me learn a lot of the ins and outs.

Last edited:

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
Probably not in terms of specific applied skills, but definitely lateral thinking and problem solving.

Reactions: Isa
I learned that if I steal a fire truck and put out enough random fires in the neighborhood, I become fireproof, my thanks to GTA SA.

bati

I started in the early nineties, so I pretty much had to develop 'advanced' computer skills at an early age that would probably seem like black magic to kids today. Someone upthread mentioned editing .bat and .cfg files, and navigating dos, trying out the first file managers (NC), learning command line to pack/unpack files, etc. Then came the early days of internet and learning a host of other new things, which actually lead to a career in IT for a few years before I switched. I don't know if I ended up tech-savvy because of this or if it was the other way around, that I was drawn to technology due to natural affinity. Other than that, it helped me learn English, I never had to study it in school or university, it just came naturally. Also met a lot of cool people through games that led to real life friendships (and in some cases romances), one I'm still in daily contact with after more than 20 years.

Last edited:
Top Bottom