• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Heavy Rain and Beyond: Two Souls coming to PS4 (pal only for now, US to follow)

Labolas

Beyond Two Souls gets to be GOTY a second time

giphy.gif

Shin-Ra

I know people hate the story in Beyond but the graphics looked good.

So on PS4 it must look godly? yes?
Only the parts that already looked godly

TrainArriving.gif

We'll be lucky to get improved rain trickle unless they've got it ready-made for their PS4 game

Crap.gif

But the train seat headrest texture may not look like shit now.

Shin-Ra

The hobo clothing and snow effects are the most in-need of an up-res from memory.

And the Navajo environment.

Slaythe

The story of Beyond isn't anywhere as bad as people claimed it is.

Pure david cage hate. Put his name on until dawn, that would have been funny.

Now that doesn't mean Beyond is flawless, but it s an improvement over the mess Heavy Rain was.

Problem is that it lost interactivity and paths :/.

Still a solid experience that I recommend.

I actually consider the story in Heavy Rain to be pretty good in video game standards. Sure it's not flawless airtight or without plotholes, but it does what it's supposed to. It makes you emotionally invested to the story and the characters that very few video games have. I also thought the mystery was fascinating and none of the plotholes bothered me a bit while playing it and I appreciated how it was influenced by some great films. Sure it's not masterpiece of writing like Casablanca, Chinatown or Silence of the Lambs or doesn't give quite as strong a gut punch like Se7en a film which I feel influenced some of the games storylines. I get the same feeling of people who complain about the plot in Heavy Rain who considers it a plothole in Dark Knight Rises how they didn't explain how Bruce got back to Gotham.

For me Heavy Rain has one of the most enjoyable stories in videogames and I've been playing a lot story based games since the late 80's. It pulls you in and creates an effective mood and atmosphere despite the plotholes, some awkward acting and other problems. Can't wait to play it again on PS4 and see if it still holds up as well for me.

Brofield

Don't know how I missed the announcement either, but this is fantastic. It means that at this point the only PS3 games I'd miss out on from not owning one are the Infamous/Resistance games, and Dragon's Crown

Don't know how I missed the announcement either, but this is fantastic. It means that at this point the only PS3 games I'd miss out on from not owning one are the Infamous/Resistance games, and Dragon's Crown
You and I are in the same boat. I never owned a PS3 and my list of reasons for buying one on the cheap has been shrinking by the day.

Still waiting for Soony and Konami to give me them Demon's Souls and MGS4 remasters tho.

Both stories are godawful examples of storytelling in general, even for video games. Both would be panned to hell and back if they were actual films and/or tv shows.

Regardless I found it more entertaining than many movies I have seen recently. Jurassic World comes to mind, which was basically a B-movie quality rehash resting on pretty absurd assumptions.

In games there a plenty with stories I consider worse, even if they may be relatively less garbled. Batman games have very poor plots with villains shoed in to the max. Good direction though. Assassin Creed games have a stinker of an overarching plot.

Regardless I found it more entertaining than many movies I have seen recently. Jurassic World comes to mind, which was basically a B-movie quality rehash resting on pretty absurd assumptions.

In games there a plenty with stories I consider worse, even if they may be relatively less garbled. Batman games have very poor plots with villains shoed in to the max. Good direction though. Assassin Creed games have a stinker of an overarching plot.
I don't see how anyone looking for good stories would play any game. Movies do it better in pretty much all regards. Games just aren't there yet in terms of good stories.

Even bad movies tend to tell stories better than good games.

vato_loco

Already played and enjoyed both of them but I'd love to replay them on the PS4, provided the enhancements are enough to justify another purchase.

me too. it's way better than heavy rain.

There's a lot that I prefer in Beyond, but I think the Heavy Rain DLC/standalone thing where she was investigating the house was the best thing they've done though.

Kinda dreading revisiting them after Until Dawn. That game streamlined a lot of the systems for the better. I know they're different things, but QD games have so much more downtime in comparison now.

Remember that Beyond Two Souls was censored in Europe, because that's what Sony likes to do.

I'll see what the double bundle costs on US PSN when it comes and buy if it's a good price.

That's pretty cool, I don't get the hate towards Heavy Rain, I loved it. Never got into Beyond, it just didn't grab me the same way but I'd still like to finish it.

I know people hate the story in Beyond but the graphics looked good.

So on PS4 it must look godly? yes?

It's a great looking game, so I'm sure it would still look impressive on current-gen with just a little work.

As long as they fix the stupid
jason getting hit by a car when it was clearly the dad scene

Il buy it.

I assumed it was that they both
got hit and Ethan got injured too, but the injury was enough to kill Jason while his father recovered

Remember that Beyond Two Souls was censored in Europe, because that's what Sony likes to do.

I mean, this sounds pretty hyperbolic. Besides changing the prisoner in the cage of GoW1 from a man to an undead soldier, does SCEE really do this a lot?

fvng

Now that doesn't mean Beyond is flawless, but it s an improvement over the mess Heavy Rain was.

Nothing bores me more than David Cage hate. Yawn.

I would have loved additional missions like the African one she went on, several more chapters like that would have been an amazing stand alone game in its own right

zsynqx

For me, the problem with the game was that the story seemed to contradict the very purpose of the game (which is having an effect on the narrative) with the story always wanting to be one specific thing. Also, the fact that the game is ordered out of sequence means the action scenes lack weight as you know Jodie is going to be fine. Add to that , the notion that game over is a failure of the game designer is fine in principle and works in until dawn. But ultimately all that failing a prompt or something leads to a slightly different scene and the story just always ends up correcting itself.

That is some criticism I have and that is without even mentioning the David Cageisms of the story so I don't think it is just David Cage hate.

Pachimari

I really hope we get more information soon. Like a definitive release date and the boxart for the box. I wonder if they'll charge us a full $60 like the Uncharted set.

Skux

Awesome, I missed out on Beyond on PS3.

Heavy Rain is great too. Yeah there are some giant plot holes but the way it ends and merges all your character storylines is really nice.

Slaythe

For me, the problem with the game was that the story seemed to contradict the very purpose of the game (which is having an effect on the narrative) with the story always wanting to be one specific thing. Also, the fact that the game is ordered out of sequence means the action scenes lack weight as you know Jodie is going to be fine. Add to that , the notion that game over is a failure of the game designer is fine in principle and works in until dawn. But ultimately all that failing a prompt or something leads to a slightly different scene and the story just always ends up correcting itself.

That is some criticism I have and that is without even mentioning the David Cageisms of the story so I don't think it is just David Cage hate.

I agree and that is what I said myself.

I was referring to people claiming they played the game and how "horrendous and shitty" the story and writing was, blaming Cage for his inability to write.

Which is blatantly false.

Justified criticism was rare for this game. ("i d rather buy a movie" was also recurring)

And like you I mentioned how the out of chronology sort of killed any branching path and tension until the final chapters.

You were more of a witness than an actor. Which is the game's biggest flaw.

I still recommend it. Beautiful journey IMO.

THAT BEING SAID, it came out when walking dead was being praised as game of the year.

As passive as Beyond was, it played, looked, and felt more active about a trillion times more than TWD.

Ellen was really moving too.

Watch auto correcting boring cutscenes with ugly animations, effects,gameplay for brain dead people, mash that one button repeatedly for all action scenes... urgh. But hey it wasnt David Cage so "fantastic writing" and game of the year.

Twd was closer to a visual novel than it was to a game. Felt very hypocritical to see people in love with TWD shit on Beyond when the latter offered far more variety in its concept, at high production value.

I understand the appeal for zombies, but this is a game experience, while writing matters, execution is what is important in the end. That s why Heavy Rain is still better than both despite far worse writing.

I ll stop ranting now.

On another unrelated note :

Life is Strange and King s Quest are amazing and above telltale games.

Wolf among us and borderlands are great. But Twd s2 game of thrones back to the future etc.. are utter garbage.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting

Jurassic World is played for laughs. Heavy Rain and Beyond are not. You get more mileage out of a campy tale (e.g. Until Dawn) that isn't taking itself seriously, than a serious tale that turns campy. Add in the ridiculous amount of non-interactivity and you get the response to Beyond.

As for Batman. . .they have comic book plots. Those stories are easily something you would expect to find in the comics.

DieH@rd

Banned
Are this games good?

When are they coming to US?

Difference between the PS3 counterparts?

Yes they are good.

HR is a psychological thriller detective game with a linear narrative structure that follows 4 characters in search of a serial killer.

Beyond is "slice of life" adventure game about girl who has supernatural "friend" that is constantly messing with her life. Narrative structure is non-linear, game jumps to random moments in her life.

Both game have great production values, and they will look even better when they are freed from 720p30 rendering limitations.

robotrock

Banned
Is there going to be an option to remove the borders from Beyond? They didn't actually bother me, but it'd be neat to replay it without them.

I still haven't finished Beyond, but I feel pretty mixed about both Heavy Rain and Beyond. I didn't mind the silly plotholes in Heavy Rain much, and I felt like there were some really great moments where I was surprised at the effectiveness of the storytelling. Also, no other game has forced you to cut off your own fingers, and I though that was a great squeamish moment.

But the two problems I have are that the dialog is stilted and poorly written and everything is wrapped up in such a profound uncanny valley effect it's very difficult to push past and appreciate the good moments.

zsynqx

I agree and that is what I said myself.

I was referring to people claiming they played the game and how "horrendous and shitty" the story and writing was, blaming Cage for his inability to write.

Which is blatantly false.

Justified criticism was rare for this game. ("i d rather buy a movie" was also recurring)

And like you I mentioned how the out of chronology sort of killed any branching path and tension until the final chapters.

You were more of a witness than an actor. Which is the game's biggest flaw.

I still recommend it. Beautiful journey IMO.

THAT BEING SAID, it came out when walking dead was being praised as game of the year.

As passive as Beyond was, it played, looked, and felt more active about a trillion times more than TWD.

Ellen was really moving too.

Watch auto correcting boring cutscenes with ugly animations, effects,gameplay for brain dead people, mash that one button repeatedly for all action scenes... urgh. But hey it wasnt David Cage so "fantastic writing" and game of the year.
Twd was closer to a visual novel than it was to a game. Felt very hypocritical to see people in love with TWD shit on Beyond when the latter offered far more variety in its concept, at high production value.

I understand the appeal for zombies, but this is a game experience, while writing matters, execution is what is important in the end. That s why Heavy Rain is still better than both despite far worse writing.

I ll stop ranting now.

On another unrelated note :

Life is Strange and King s Quest are amazing and above telltale games.

Wolf among us and borderlands are great. But Twd s2 game of thrones back to the future etc.. are utter garbage.

I really don't people's dislike for David Cage games made them elevate the walking dead, that is kinda a silly assumption.

You can have all the production values in the world but badly written characters are badly written which reduces any emotional impact that Cage intended. Similarly, offering ambitious concepts with twists and turns doesn't elevate a story if they are poorly implemented and cliche as fuck.

Also your argument about interactivity being more passive in telltale games is kind of irrelevant imo. Maybe you don't have as much interactivity in them as Cage games but with the tools they used to tell their story they had far better results. Journey and Gone Home lacked any meaningful mechanics yet both were far more meaningful to me than any Call of Duty or Gears of War.

I think you misunderstand peoples dislike of Cage games with dislike for the medium, Just ignore people who come in to threads about these and say things like "I'd rather buy a movie" as you mentioned.

Lokimaru

I beat Beyond two Souls Twice, I played Aiden diffent each time, First playthrough Aiden was protective (a little overprotective) and helpful, Second playthrough Aiden was an abusive Troll who liked seeing Jodie suffer. Second playthrough was painful to watch.

FranXico

Yes, they are really good. Have you played UNTIL DAWN?
Something like that.

Like others have pointed out, Until Dawn is superior to these games, because it focuses a lot more on the impact of player actions. A lot of reviewers agree on this.

Wagram

Actually finished Beyond a few minutes ago on PS3 and i'm quite interested to see if QD's next title is Beyond 2 after that ending. It's a complete cliffhanger, but David Cage has said he doesn't like sequels.

I liked it (not nearly as bad as people say), but I think they were a little ambitious with the PS3. It ran like a turd at times, so hopefully this PS4 version runs better.

Any update on these ports? I know they are playable at Paris Games Week.

Going to guess they are missing the 2015 release but I really want to give Beyond a go. Kind of a missed opportunity not to have them available to buy with the Detroit announcement.

DOWN

Banned
Any update on these ports? I know they are playable at Paris Games Week.

Going to guess they are missing the 2015 release but I really want to give Beyond a go. Kind of a missed opportunity not to have them available to buy with the Detroit announcement.
Pretty sure we were told expect 2016 and they didn't miss out. They are fine just releasing before Detroit.

Top Bottom