• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hideki Yasuda (JP Analyst) - Rise of the Ronin, Wild Hearts, Wo-Long Fallen Dynasty, Fate Samurai Remnant all fell short of Koei Tecmo's sales targets

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

A Japanese analyst, Hideki Yasuda, wrote about Japanese developers recently. What’s interesting for us (thanks @Oregano for finding this), is he wrote about which were games fell short of KT’s expectations. People in this thread definitely nailed it based on the presentation. https://s.kabutan.jp/news/n202406150141/

Google translate (emphasis mine):

Koei Tecmo Holdings (Koei Tecmo HD) <3635> reported an increase in sales and a decrease in operating profit for the fiscal year ending March 2024. The company's game business has not been blessed with hit titles since the previous fiscal year, and all of the titles released in the fiscal year ending March 2023, including "Wild Hearts" and "Warlon Fallen Dynasty," "Fate Samurai Remnant" and "Rise of Ronin," which it developed, fell short of their targets. In particular, it was explained that "Fate" was a 2 million unit title (as it covers the entire life cycle, the plan for the fiscal year ending March 2024 is unknown), so it is assumed that it fell far short of its targets.

The company's titles are highly rated by those who have played them, but they are not being purchased in the first place. In particular, "Rise of Ronin," which was developed as a 5 million unit title, fell far short of its targets. We interviewed PS5 (PlayStation 5) users, and many of them said that they found it difficult to get into the game because there was too little information about the game.

StereoVsn

All of them had technical mess. Hence why the masses avoid it.

We tolerate them to a certain degree.
You got to have a good game under it though. So-Long didn’t have that I would say.

Ronin could have done with better marketing and more realistic expectations, IMO. Well, and a PC release.

feynoob

Gold Member
Something to be said about bloated expectations. Ronin, despite being their fastest selling game, still fell under their projected expectations.
It's not 2010 anymore. Games are expensive to make these days. They have to make a return of their investments.

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
That's what I thought based on what I saw previously in other threads. Some people sure couldnt wait to give me shit for that.

I was so excited for Wo Long. Turned out to be the worst TN game I've maybe ever played.

Stanger in Paradise is still the best Nioh-like. Nioh 1 and 2 are amazing. Rise of the Ronin is average, better than Wo Long at least but worse than all their other games. You can definitely tell they targeted a much more casual audience with RotR so I guess they were hoping for a breakout hit.

Mr Hyde

Gold Member
I'm getting Rise of the Ronin when it's on sale. Curious about Wo Long but if it's too much like Nioh I think I'll pass since I thought it was repetitive and boring.

cireza

I loved Wo Long, but none of these games looked like they were going to be huge hits anyway. And I say this as a big supporter of Koei Tecmo.

Either they can be profitable with games like these and 2 millions sales, either they have to make other games.

Where are the new entries for Dead or Alive and Ninja Gaiden already ? At least Dynasty Warriors is coming back, locking forward to it.

Last edited:

thief183

I still don't understand the hate for wo long, I had a lot of fun with it, it was not nioh 2, but still a nice change of pace. Can't wait for ronin on pc

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
Why does exclusives still work for Nintendo?
Everybody else seem to get low sales from exclusivity but not Nintendo. Mario Kart 8 has sold over 60 million. Or are sales high just because the hardware has sold more and the percentage is roughly the same?
Nintendo’s’ brand power is the strongest by far and is right now stronger than it’s ever been. Their budgets are also probably much smaller.

Angry_Megalodon

Gold Member
Everybody else seem to get low sales from exclusivity but not Nintendo. Mario Kart 8 has sold over 60 million. Or are sales high just because the hardware has sold more and the percentage is roughly the same?

¿By "exclusives" you mean other than the 4 huge Nintendo IPs, like Mario, Zelda, Pokemon? Those are comparable to nothing else. Take Metroid or Bayonetta instead for a fair comparison.

Good exclusives sell well. Sony has had huge success like Helldivers 2 and a success like Stellar Blade this very year.

There's something wrong with this news, anyway:

Shut0wen

Wild hearts isnt that bad, again it was never gunna do monster hunter numbers but wolong and rise both suffered from being exclusives, third party publishers doing exclusives this gen seem to crush them

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69

Nintendo has the strongest first party and most popular IPs by a country mile. Switch is about to be the highest selling console ever and was nearly entirely carried by their first party output.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Because it's Mario

Fredrik

Sony has had huge success like Helldivers 2
It’s on PC too where it has sold the most going by earlier reports.
¿By "exclusives" you mean other than the 4 huge Nintendo IPs, like Mario, Zelda, Pokemon? Those are comparable to nothing else. Take Metroid or Bayonetta instead for a fair comparison.
Fair point, I googled on Metroid Dread and it had sold 3m copies. Was still the best-selling Metroid game.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
Splatoon, Animal Crossing, Smash Bros, Kirby, Fire Emblem, Pikmon, Ring Fit, and the list goes on.

Nintendo games don’t need to sell 10 million copies to recoup their $300M budgets.

Plus they actually give you a nice variety of genres. Sony hasn’t made a JRPG in like 20 years and Nintendo has kept Fire Emblem going all these years and made Xenoblade into a big franchise. Even when they take a swing and a miss like Arms it doesn’t really matter because as you said these games don’t cost 200M+ to make so they can afford to get weird. Nintendo rules.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I don't think it's surprising when their sales expectations are so high. They threw more money than usual to develop what's still, despite the nice window dressing, a niche game. This is the result.

I haven't bothered with any of them because of the price tag. They're on my wishlist, but I'm basically just waiting for a sale.

Lorianus

Let's make a Fate game but lets not make it take place in Fate Stay/Night or Grand Order, has to be really a stupid idea, who really in the masses cares about Fate if there is no Saber, Gilgamesh, Ishtar ect. ?

Kokoloko85

The only message at this point is make sure your game works and you have multiplatform release.

Pretty sure Playstation has multiple titles that sold 5-10+ million.
Exclusives still sell

Chukhopops

I don’t get the hate for WoLong. It was a bit too easy but had great build variety, cool boss fights and even a decent story (if you enjoy over the top heroism).

I feel guilty not buying RotR but there was just too much to play. Also KT needs to make more Musou games.

Perrott

Plus they actually give you a nice variety of genres. Sony hasn’t made a JRPG in like 20 years and Nintendo has kept Fire Emblem going all these years and made Xenoblade into a big franchise. Even when they take a swing and a miss like Arms it doesn’t really matter because as you said these games don’t cost 200M+ to make so they can afford to get weird. Nintendo rules.
Xenoblade isn't a big franchise at all. 1.5-3M lifetime sales aren't much given the popularity of the Switch and the overall commercial success of Nintendo first-party efforts, of which the Xenoblade games are some of the most ambitious and expensive to produce I'd say.

Fbh

Personally I'd like to see some more variety from them.
Loved Nioh 1 and 2 but a lot of their other stuff feels too samey not only in design but in setting too. Stranger of Paradise is the only one where they deviated a bit from the historical asian setting.

Give me Ninja Gaiden or something

Their tech also sucks. I don't need high end graphics, but if your game is going to look like it came out 10-15 years ago it should at least run smoothly with good IQ on modern hardware

Last edited:
Top Bottom