• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hitbox.tv | Switch from Twitch

Revven

So is everyone switching to this now?

I think streamers will switch to it eventually if Twitch implements scanning live broadcasts for copyrighted music. In the meantime, you can bet streamers are making accounts right now to claim their name as a backup in the future.

FWIW, though, Cosmo is considering it.

K.Sabot

Few people I know are mirroring streams on hitbox, is infeasible for those with sub-par upload rates (like me!)

Hylian7

Tried to test a stream there, couldn't do it. I'm guessing it's because of the server troubles?
sad.gif

Anyone having 401 issues logging in, trying to reset their pw and looking at their account page? the website is not agreeing with me and i've had my account since this thread was up.

Keeps saying I am not in the database when I am, and I get emails from them too.

*edit* I had log in issues about a week ago before this rush of new sign-ups.

Acccent

I got two questions:

1) why hitbox.tv, when ustream and livestream and heck even youtube exist? (not saying they're better, far from it, but I'm just surprised that for some reason hitbox.tv seems to be the default alternative to twitch)

2) is this finally a streaming website that'll allow me to set my channel to private? (if not, do you know of a service that offers that option, for free?)

syko de4d

2) is this finally a streaming website that'll allow me to set my channel to private? (if not, do you know of a service that offers that option, for free?)

i saw some streams that asked me for a password. So not 100% private but password protected maybe?

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Tried to test a stream there, couldn't do it. I'm guessing it's because of the server troubles?
sad.gif

Anyone having 401 issues logging in, trying to reset their pw and looking at their account page? the website is not agreeing with me and i've had my account since this thread was up.

Keeps saying I am not in the database when I am, and I get emails from them too.

As said, the site is working through the stress test. Hitbox team say they are looking into it: https://twitter.com/hitboxliveHelp/status/497150137933000705

Tons of people have said as much on the past page. The site is getting hammered and likely will remain so for at least the next few hours until they get some temporary additional server infrastructure in place. Just sit tight, they'll likely be in working shape by tomorrow once most of this initial ruckus is over.

Nokterian

I got two questions:

1) why hitbox.tv, when ustream and livestream and heck even youtube exist? (not saying they're better, far from it, but I'm just surprised that for some reason hitbox.tv seems to be the default alternative to twitch)

Hitbox has loads of futures you can do polls etc. Also the delay is between caster and audience is real time only 1 to 10 seconds at least unlike twitch with 60 seconds. Also runs great a pretty good video player there using.

And that i don't know off.

*edit* I had log in issues about a week ago before this rush of new sign-ups.

Had the same problem...just clicked "Forgot password" they emailed me to reset / create a new one & that worked for me.

Dusk Golem

I got two questions:

From using the site and many other streaming sites for a while, I can give my opinion.

1.) Ustream has a terrible chat system and delay, Livestream I used to use all the time for a year but it has gone down the shitter in the last year with constant downtimes, chat lag, video randomly stopping multiple times in even a two hour period, etc. YouTube has terrible ID system that risks your YouTube channel, worse delay than even Twitch, and a terrible chat system as it uses YouTube commenting. Hitbox has constant support and communication, gets new features multiple times a month and fixes, has fantastic stream delay (1-10 seconds from when you say it, your streamers get it), work for most people, and the chat system is solid, as well as the Hitbox Dashboard is useful.

2.) You can set your visibility to invisible so it doesn't pop up on the main page and doesn't email notify you are streaming, and can request your stream to be password protected.

Trickster

I can't watch any streams, every stream I'm trying requires a password?

Also, I can only assume/hope that the reason for the site running very poorly is because the servers are getting hammered due to a twitch mass exodus?

Had the same problem...just clicked "Forgot password" they emailed me to reset / create a new one & that worked for me.

reset pw sends me an email but the website says i am not there, it logs me in doing that but not to view my accounts and then kicks me off, i'll just wait out this big user rush.

Dusk Golem

The 'every stream needs a password' thing happens when the site is doing quick maintenance. You can enable it individually, but when it happens to all, it means their fixing something.

I can't watch any streams, every stream I'm trying requires a password?

Also, I can only assume/hope that the reason for the site running very poorly is because the servers are getting hammered due to a twitch mass exodus?

Yup, the reason is influx users and they're running maintenance to fix it. It's running super slow today, but the first time. I've been using the site a few days a week since February, this is a new situation but an understandable one.

Acccent

From using the site and many other streaming sites for a while, I can give my opinion.

1.) Ustream has a terrible chat system and delay, Livestream I used to use all the time for a year but it has gone down the shitter in the last year with constant downtimes, chat lag, video randomly stopping multiple times in even a two hour period, etc. YouTube has terrible ID system that risks your YouTube channel, worse delay than even Twitch, and a terrible chat system as it uses YouTube commenting. Hitbox has constant support and communication, gets new features multiple times a month and fixes, has fantastic stream delay (1-10 seconds from when you say it, your streamers get it), work for most people, and the chat system is solid, as well as the Hitbox Dashboard is useful.

2.) You can set your visibility to invisible so it doesn't pop up on the main page and doesn't email notify you are streaming, and can request your stream to be password protected.

Thanks for the comparison :) I'll try hitbox next time I stream something, let's see what this can do :p

Dusk Golem

okay i really do need to know did this, or did it not come from the own3d guy

cause thats kind of important

It came from one of the people and some other people from another streaming site.

Need to find it, the CEO let out a lengthy letter about his involvement half a year ago.

El Sloth

Banned
okay i really do need to know did this, or did it not come from the own3d guy

cause thats kind of important

They were not involved in management.

http://blog.hitbox.tv/an-introduction-to-our-management/

Hi folks!

This is Martin, CEO of hitbox. We have been online now for a few weeks with the beta of hitbox.tv, so I thought it was time to give you more insights into the management and the intentions behind hitbox.tv.

Our CTO, René, is our technical mastermind and has years of experience in the streaming business as he built up the core technology of own3D.tv and managed to create a platform which was considered one of the best at the time and delivered a service for thousands of streamers and millions of viewers. Being a hardcore gamer himself, his goal is to help eSports grow, to bring it in every livingroom not depending on where you are and to make it as big or even bigger than other sports. That was and still is his great vision.

Talking about myself, I bring a lot of financial experience to the table. I was working as a company auditor and as head of controlling in the headquarter of one of the largest financial institutions in Central and Eastern Europe. I was responsible for the whole planning and controlling processes, for the groups strategy and the competitive market analysis.

René and myself have been good friends for a long time. By the end of 2012 he approached me as he saw his life´s work endangered. He asked me to have a look into the figures of own3D and to restructure the company if necessary.

Being an eSports fanatic myself and given the opportunity to work in such a great project, I didn’t hesitate a second and became their CFO. However it didn´t take long to find out that the company was in trouble.

I think you guys know the main reasons why own3D failed. The company didn’t manage to scale its business and to grow with its viewers and size. What exactly does that mean?

Let me put it in simple terms: Having millions of viewers creating massive traffic brings you tons of costs. The company lacked funding and was stuck in bad contracts. That led to cost savings on the employers end and thus to a poor income management.
High costs + low income = a big problem

Given this situation the owners and investors of own3D tried their best to sell the company and to pay out all debts to its customers. We worked days and nights to get that deal done but our main target company surprisingly stepped away after 3 months of negotiations and due diligence. René lost his life´s work and a lot of streamers their money.

However, we still believe in eSports and our vision and just love watching awesome live content, so René and me decided to build up a new live streaming site putting together both technical know-how and business experience right from the get-go.

We believe that competition is good, even if we just give an impulse to the existing players to improve their service.

Still in beta and tons of tasks ahead, we love what we do and hope you give us a chance to prove that we know what we are doing. Having a great investor as partner and a super experienced infrastructure team on board, we are convinced that we can offer you a stable and reliable service, with great usability and some awesome new features.

They're just dudes who decided to work for the wrong people.

This seems to work much better than twitch on a glance. That I'm able to watch all streams and archieves natively on my ipad is a great plus.

You know what Hitbox doesn't have and most likely won't have? Viewers.

People cried and said they would leave YouTube when stuff like this rolled out, most of them didn't. You go where the money and viewers are.

Going to Hitbox from Twitch is like leaving a Beatles concert to play guitar on the corner of the street. Only 10 deaf people who hate the Beatles will show up.

K.Sabot

You know what Hitbox doesn't have and most likely won't have? Viewers.

People cried and said they would leave YouTube when stuff like this rolled out, most of them didn't. You go where the money and viewers are.

Going to Hitbox from Twitch is like leaving a Beatles concert to play guitar on the corner of the street. Only 10 deaf people who hate the Beatles will show up.

Outside of around probably 300 people who have 1k views regularly, twitch is a 0-2 viewer wasteland of streams that haven't been discovered.

I think the people who make the switch would be happy with the possibility of having 10 frequent viewers.

WillyFive

Outside of around probably 300 people who have 1k views regularly, twitch is a 0-2 viewer wasteland of streams that haven't been discovered.

I think the people who make the switch would be happy with the possibility of having 10 frequent viewers.

If they don't know how to make the jump right, they will fail. But, at the same time, Hitbox is a whole new market, a wild west. Less competition can help startups gain viewers simply by being there at the time the audience is interested. A lot of the infrastructure is already there.

A good way to do it would be to dual stream, having your stream air on both Twitch and Hitbox; and if Twitch doesn't fix their stuff, the streamer can gradually carry viewers over to Hitbox (especially since Hitbox would have the quality advantage of having a significantly smaller delay).

G-Fex

I don't give a crap cause despite having 350 followers I had 1-3 viewers at best.

Is it working now? Can I stream?

Indignate

I think people will like the lessened latency since that makes it easier to carry a conversation with people in the chat.

I'm mainly going to jump on it for this.

I typically talk to the people I'm streaming for, so it would be nice if they weren't so far behind.

Top Bottom