• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hitman 3 VR: Reloaded Revealed, “rebuilt from the ground up” Exclusively for Quest 3

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

IO Interactive and UK-based studio XR Games announced they’re bringing a new version of stealth-action game Hitman 3 exclusively to Meta Quest 3 this summer.

Hitman 3 came along with VR support for the original PSVR at launch in 2021, later bringing Agent 47’s most recent exploits to PC VR headsets with the Windows version a few months later.

Now, a version called Hitman 3 VR: Reloaded is slated to arrive exclusively on Quest 3, which is described as have been “[r]ebuilt from the ground up for VR,” including a completely overhauled user interface and “enhanced movement mechanics” beyond the versions for PSVR and PC VR headsets.

It’s also set to include dual weapon-wielding (finally), enhanced interactive environments, more locomotion options, and other visual enhancements—chief of which is a new cel-shaded art style, which ought to help cut down on the extensive compute load that the game’s dense crowds and large maps were sure to cause on Quest 3.

In collaboration with IO Interactive, Hitman 3 VR: Reloaded is being overhauled for Quest 3 by XR Games, which is also known for having brought a number of titles to various VR headsets over the years, including the upcoming Zombie Army VR from Rebellion, as well as past titles Zombieland VR: Headshot Fever, Jurassic World Aftermath, Shadow Point, and Angry Birds Under Pressure VR.

“We are excited to partner with IO Interactive to bring HITMAN 3 VR: Reloaded to life on the Meta Quest 3,” said Bobby Thandi, Founder and CEO of XR Games. “Our teams have worked tirelessly to bring this huge AAA franchise to VR. We knew the HITMAN audience demanded the absolute best VR experience, and only the Meta Quest 3 could power such large environments, dense crowds and emergent sandbox gameplay. With dual-wielding, a stunning new art-style, new features and improvements, we believe HITMAN 3 VR: Reloaded will set a new standard for bringing AAA franchises to Meta Quest.”

Whatever the case, we’re hoping it does a fair bit to fix some of the porting issues we remember from the PC VR-supported version of the game, which players have ranked ‘Mostly Negative’ on Steam.

There’s no exact launch date for Hitman 3 VR: Reloaded yet, with the studios saying it should launch sometime in Summer 2024. In the meantime, you can pre-order Hitman 3 VR: Reloaded for Quest 3

They only show one snippet of gameplay in the whole trailer and the graphics look fucking terrible. Shit looks like Unit 13 on the vita. Why is this exclusive to Quest 3? I assume Meta ponied up?

tbLmfBo.jpeg

Last edited:

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
This looks like another shitty Unity engine game. The Quest 3 is capable of much better than this.

Edit: Apparently it's deliberately using cell shading. It's a no go for me.

Last edited:

StueyDuck

I hate vr exclusivity...

Hopefully some of these mechanics will find there way to the hitman3 vr that we have now. Because the vr while awesome to be immersed in, isn't a great conversion in the standalone game mechanically.

Reallink

No one is putting any effort into VR anymore.
Anymore? They never have. 99% of VR games have been made by 2 guy indies producing their first game ever. Even during the Rift window when Facebook was actually pouring hundreds of millions into games, developers/publishers just took the money and outsourced them to third rate support studios or D-tier intern teams. You can literally count every quality VR exclusive game in existence on one hand.

Last edited:

danklord

Gold Member
Hyped. Stealthing around in Assassin's Creed Nexus VR was super fun and it'll only get better with Hitman's deep reactive systems.

Romulus

Anymore? They never have. 99% of VR games have been made by 2 guy indies producing their first game ever. Even during the Rift window when Facebook was actually pouring hundreds of millions into games, developers/publishers just took the money and outsourced them to third rate support studios or D-tier intern teams. You can literally count every quality VR exclusive game in existence on one hand.

I would say this year is the upward swing towards standalone in terms of games at least.

We just got Asgard's Wrath 2 six months which is arguably one of the biggest VR games ever and rivals AAA games I've played on console. 10/10 on ign and 60+ hours long.

Assassin's Creed was recent and very solid, despite some terrible performance issues that have been cleaned up. Later this year we're getting Alien Incursion, Behemoth, Batman, and Hitman. Those are some pretty big titles in the span of a year.

On the PCVR side, UEVR injector is the best thing to ever happen to VR. I've played more AAA games in a month than 7 years total. At this point, only about 10% of them feel like a native VR game, but out of hundreds of options that's still more than I could ever play. Mechwarrior 5 has been my go to recently and absolutely feels incredible. I played Outer Worlds a few weeks about it felt probably 95% native VR and is improving daily. Ace Combat 7 is very close too.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
After playing proper vr on pc, i just can't with these underpowered wireless headsets, i used my quest 1 almost nothing because of the shit graphic but i thought quest 3 was a huge upgrade, but they still look terrible compared to the pc counterpart.

Romulus

After playing proper vr on pc, i just can't with these underpowered wireless headsets, i used my quest 1 almost nothing because of the shit graphic but i thought quest 3 was a huge upgrade, but they still look terrible compared to the pc counterpart.

There hasn't been a single AAA game made for Quest 3 exclusively. Those come later this year.

And its definitely noticeable compared to a PC setup, but to me I'm more shocked how good something like Assassin's Creed can look or how massive Asgard's wrath 2 is considering the size of the chipset and having to run at high framerates. Within minutes of going from PCVR to standalone Quest 3 I'm already sucked into the experience, so we're getting closer.

Last edited:

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
There hasn't been a single AAA game made for Quest 3 exclusively. Those come later this year.

And its definitely noticeable compared to a PC setup, but to me I'm more shocked how good something like Assassin's Creed can look or how massive Asgard's wrath 2 is considering the size of the chipset and having to run at high framerates. Within minutes of going from PCVR to standalone Quest 3 I'm already sucked into the experience, so we're getting closer.
Exactly.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
Mixed reality is a huge bonus with the quest 3 too, and shouldn’t be forgotten.

Just last night I discovered the YouTube app lets me place the screen on walls and even my ceiling. My wife had White Collar on the tv, and I placed my YouTube screen over the tv. It was a really cool moment for me.

GymWolf

Gold Member
Yeah but the result doesn't change, they still look terrible compared to the pc version, and it's not like the pc version have hellblade 2 graphic, they already start from a worse graphic than a ps5.

I know that vr is more than graphic, but the difference is still staggering between mobile and pc/console.
I guess i'm gonna wait for quest 4 to see if they can get a bit closer because this ain't.

GymWolf

Gold Member
Mixed reality is a huge bonus with the quest 3 too, and shouldn’t be forgotten.

Just last night I discovered the YouTube app lets me place the screen on walls and even my ceiling. My wife had White Collar on the tv, and I placed my YouTube screen over the tv. It was a really cool moment for me.
I just can't use vr for anything that is not gaming.

Having an heavy headset in your head with worse video quality than a proper oled tv is just to much for me to enjoy movies or desktop work etc.
My brain can't wrap around the fact that people actually enjoy watching a 2 hours movie with that fucking thing in the head without having a migraine, or use desktop vr to work instead of just using a normal monitor for long periods of times.

Light glasses form factor is what would make all of these things feasible for me.

Last edited:

Romulus

I know that vr is more than graphic, but the difference is still staggering between mobile and pc/console.
I guess i'm gonna wait for quest 4 to see if they can get a bit closer because this ain't.

But you don't even know yet. As I explained earlier not a single AAA game has been made for Quest 3 yet without being anchored to Quest 2. It literally just came out 8 months ago.

Last edited:

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
Yeah but the result doesn't change, they still look terrible compared to the pc version, and it's not like the pc version have hellblade 2 graphic, they already start from a worse graphic than a ps5.

You’re in a super small select niche of niche situation though. Most people that buy a Quest 3 won’t be able to compare to PCVR. And most the buy a Q3 likely don’t even have gaming PC’s.

I played Asgards Wrath 2 last night on my Q3 and I thought it looked amazing, especially with the Quest Optimizer installed.

I guess when I go into VR on the Quest 2/3, my mind has already made the compromise of visuals for immersion. Same thing I do with Nintendo games on the switch. I’m ok with playing games with lesser visuals, because I’m playing them on a tablet with split controllers.

Romulus

I played Asgards Wrath 2 last night on my Q3 and I thought it looked amazing, especially with the Quest Optimizer installed.

Tbh, the scale of Asgards Wrath 2 smokes anything made for PCVR. You trade some textures and lighting, but I'm one of those people that does switch from standalone to high end PCVR gaming and the difference just isn't as big as what some would have you believe, especially comparing it to something like that.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
But you don't even know yet. As I explained earlier not a single AAA game has been made for Quest 3 yet without being anchored to Quest 2. It literally just came out 8 months ago.
And that change my point how exactly?
Having a couple of future titles in a sea of shit looking games is far from optimal.

And let's be honest, AAA vr game are often less fun than indie projects like beat saber, whip pistol, thrill of the fight, sword and sorcery etc.
And these devs don't even try to make a proper quest 3 version so you are always gonna play the far worse looking version of a lot of great games.

Last edited:

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
Having a couple of future titles in a sea of shit looking games is far from optimal.

And let's be honest, AAA vr game are often less fun than indie projects like beat saber, whip pistol, thrill of the fight, sword and sorcery etc.
And these devs don't even try to make a proper quest 3 version so you are always gonna play the far worse looking version of a lot of great games.
I bolder what matters most.

Romulus

And let's be honest, AAA vr game are often less fun than indie projects like beat saber, whip pistol, thrill of the fight etc.

You're saying you'll wait around for Quest 4 when no exclusive Quest 3 games have been made. That makes absolutely no sense.

I don't know what you're saying about "fun" either. That's subjective. I don't play beat saber or any of that other stuff much.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
You're saying you'll wait around for Quest 4 when no exclusive Quest 3 games have been made. That makes absolutely no sense.

I don't know what you're saying about "fun" either. That's subjective. I don't play beat saber or any of that other stuff much.
It make sense, if quest4 is way more powerfull than a quest 3, even a lazy port is gonna look better because the power baseline is higher.

The point is that indie games are the majority of vr games on the market, and a lot of them are not inferior to AAA vr games if not for production values, and all these indie games are not gonna waste money and time to make a proper quest 3 version.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
So why even quoting me when i'm talking purely about graphic? :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

Of course i know that you can still play a worse looking version of these games, it was never my point...
I’m not try to dispute your point. Just pointing out that stellar graphics aren’t needed for a standalone device. We all know the compromise we make doing so. Same with buying Nintendo hardware.

It’s the convenience that matters most. The exclusive Q3 audience is not the same audience that plays VR on PC. They are very different groups.

GymWolf

Gold Member
I’m not try to dispute your point. Just pointing out that stellar graphics aren’t needed for a standalone device. We all know the compromise we make doing so. Same with buying Nintendo hardware.

It’s the convenience that matters most. The exclusive Q3 audience is not the same audience that plays VR on PC. They are very different groups.
I get what you say, but tbh i also hate nintendo for going the gimmicky way with a fucking tablet instead of having a proper home console :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

Romulus

It make sense, if quest4 is way more powerfull than a quest 3, even a lazy port is gonna look better because the power baseline is higher.

The point is that indie games are the majority of vr games on the market, and a lot of them are not inferior to AAA vr games if not for production values, and all these indie games are not gonna waste money and time to make a proper quest 3 version.

Quest 4 will be more powerful. Is that what you're saying? I agree.

I get that indies are the majority, but outside of that I'm lost with what you're saying. They're not going to make a quest 3 version because of money?

Tbh, I've owned pretty much every iteration of PCs in the last 8 years, including the 4000 series. I'd say something like Assassin's Creed on Quest 3 looks like something running on a 1060-1070 PCVR. Especially considering its running at a resolution that headsets back then couldn't touch.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
I get what you say, but tbh i also hate nintendo for going the gimmicky way with a fucking tablet instead of having a proper home console :lollipop_grinning_sweat:
Ohhhhhhh

I see. You’re a no good graphics whore son of a bitch! I’ll leave you to your Hellblade 2 and Death Strandings. Enjoy your walks!

Just messin

GymWolf

Gold Member
Ohhhhhhh

I see. You’re a no good graphics whore son of a bitch! I’ll leave you to your Hellblade 2 and Death Strandings. Enjoy your walks!

Just messin
Dude i would not buy an experience like hb2 even if it was 5 euros and i absolutely despise ds :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

But don't tell me that you would not prefer tokt at 4k60 instead of 720p sub 30.

Last edited:

Romulus

I'd say Killzone Mercenary still blows most Meta Quest stuff out of the water:

killzone.jpg

large.jpg

kzm_screenshots_01292013_10.1359594541.jpg

large.jpg

The Quest 3 is probably close to 10x more powerful than the vita. It's not even remotely close. It's running the same games at higher resolutions than ps4 VR games could.
KZ is a corridor shooter running at 30-60fps designed for a very low resolution screen. Even then its mostly great art and optimization from top tier developers.

Last edited:

Perrott

The Quest 3 is probably close to 10x more powerful than the vita. It's not even remotely close. It's running the same games at higher resolutions than ps4 VR games could.
I know that. All I'm saying, is that this 2013 handheld game still produces more pleasing visual results than most Quest videogames, which to be fair suffer from having to target such high resolutions and framerates, as you mention.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Vr is okay most die hard vr players do anything I tend to play the resident evil 7 vr, firewall and dismiss the gimmicks. I’d like to see AAA vr embraced

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
Vr is okay most die hard vr players do anything I tend to play the resident evil 7 vr, firewall and dismiss the gimmicks. I’d like to see AAA vr embraced
It looks like we’re getting there. We’ve had two in the last 6 months with more coming this year.

But I love even the small gems, like Compound, that I randomly discovered.

KZ is a corridor shooter running at 30-60fps designed for a very low resolution screen. Even then its mostly great art and optimization from top tier developers.
Quest 3 is probably 47x more powerful if Gpt4 is to be believed. However, the ps vita has a resolution of 960x544 while the quest 3 is 2064 x 2208. Since the quest 3 has to render for both eyes, we're looking at an effective resolution difference of 522,240 17x between both machines. The quest 3 also has to run at minimum 72hz but many are at 90hz while most vita games were 30fps implying at an additional 2-3x cost in processing to hit that framerate. When you factor for the higher resolution, 2-3x increase in frame-rate, additional processing for hand tracking, boundary tracking, it's easy to see why the quest 3 games wouldn't look much better than a vita/ps3.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
Quest 4 will be more powerful. Is that what you're saying? I agree.

I get that indies are the majority, but outside of that I'm lost with what you're saying. They're not going to make a quest 3 version because of money?

Tbh, I've owned pretty much every iteration of PCs in the last 8 years, including the 4000 series. I'd say something like Assassin's Creed on Quest 3 looks like something running on a 1060-1070 PCVR. Especially considering its running at a resolution that headsets back then couldn't touch.
Maybe i wasn't clear.

most Indie devs are not gonna waste too much money and time to make a perfect version of their games for quest 3(optiomization, cutting the right corners etc.), of course they are gonna make a quest 3 version, but they are not gonna use 110% of the device like facebook first party AAA games do because believe it or not, making different version all super optimized for different hardwares cost money and time, so if quest 4 is a huge jump compared to quest 3 the baseline of power is gonna be much higher and even cheap ports are gonna look better because the device is much more powerfull, so even if they don't wanna waste too much time\money, the higher baseline power is gonna at least guarantee better res and framerate and maybe some better details, i'm not sure of this but with a much more powerful device you have to waste less time to get on par or close with the pc version, mine was more of a wishful thinking than something that is gonna happen for sure, quest 4, 5 and 6 are still gonna look miles worse than pc counterparts most probably.

Last edited:

Romulus

I know that. All I'm saying, is that this 2013 handheld game still produces more pleasing visual results than most Quest videogames, which to be fair suffer from having to target such high resolutions and framerates, as you mention.

I would argue it produced more pleasing results than some ps4 games. It was an anomaly and perhaps ps4 games targeting 1080p vs the low resolution display of vita was some of that reason.

Last edited:

Romulus

Quest 3 is probably 47x more powerful if Gpt4 is to be believed. However, the ps vita has a resolution of 960x544 while the quest 3 is 2064 x 2208. Since the quest 3 has to render for both eyes, we're looking at an effective resolution difference of 522,240 17x between both machines. The quest 3 also has to run at minimum 72hz but many are at 90hz while most vita games were 30fps implying at an additional 2-3x cost in processing to hit that framerate. When you factor for the higher resolution, 2-3x increase in frame-rate, additional processing for hand tracking, boundary tracking, it's easy to see why the quest 3 games wouldn't look much better than a vita/ps3.

47x more powerful you say, in a hitman thread? Lol

Yes I understand the metric quest has to push, I was partly responding to someone asking if the vita processor was close to the Quest 3's.

But as I've said, we haven't seen any quest 3 exclusive games yet. That comes later this year.

Last edited:

Romulus

Maybe i wasn't clear.

most Indie devs are not gonna waste too much money and time to make a perfect version of their games for quest 3(optiomization, cutting the right corners etc.), of course they are gonna make a quest 3 version, but they are not gonna use 110% of the device like facebook first party AAA games do because believe it or not, making different version all super optimized for different hardwares cost money and time, so if quest 4 is a huge jump compared to quest 3 the baseline of power is gonna be much higher and even cheap ports are gonna look better because the device is much more powerfull, so even if they don't wanna waste too much time\money, the higher baseline power is gonna at least guarantee better res and framerate and maybe some better details, i'm not sure of this but with a much more powerful device you have to waste less time to get on par or close with the pc version, mine was more of a wishful thinking than something that is gonna happen for sure, quest 4, 5 and 6 are still gonna look miles worse than pc counterparts most probably.

Not sure why Quest 4 would be any different from the jump from other Quest devices. 1, 2, 3 have all been pretty consistent. A very noticeable difference but not some console generational leap. The indie games will probably just continue to get small updates like you say.

But from what I've noticed, the AAA games are not even on Quest 2 anymore with a couple of exceptions. Less than 8 months after release, the devs making bigger games aren't even bothering with Quest 2, and that's considering it sold more than Xbox at one point.

They only show one snippet of gameplay in the whole trailer and the graphics look fucking terrible. Shit looks like Unit 13 on the vita. Why is this exclusive to Quest 3? I assume Meta ponied up?
This is the one thing that sucks about the quest, it uses shitty mobile hw and there's no way to make quest games run natively on PC since quest is android ARM and PC is x86 Windows.

Is the Quest processor much better than a Vita? With its increased resolution and framerate requirement.
Are there games that look much better on it?
It is way better the Vita is ancient. But the resolution and fps requirements are high for VR. HW power wise only PC is ideal for VR.

Top Bottom