• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hitman beta opens to PS+ members on 4th March

ZangBa

I don't know, I really liked the beta. A mix between Blood Money and Absolution. They at least toned down the disguise detection bullshit by just having specific people able to see through it. I had some hilarious glitches of bodies spazzing out, flying around all over the place, or choking someone out and falling through the floor, but I expected as much with a beta. Overall, I was really happy with what I got to play and finding different ways to complete both missions.

Lunar FC

I don't know, I really liked the beta. A mix between Blood Money and Absolution. They at least toned down the disguise detection bullshit by just having specific people able to see through it. I had some hilarious glitches of bodies spazzing out, flying around all over the place, or choking someone out and falling through the floor, but I expected as much with a beta. Overall, I was really happy with what I got to play and finding different ways to complete both missions.

I was hiding in a locker watching as this guard placed a person I killed in a body bag. But for some reason he walked outside of the room to picked him up through the wall. The body was going crazy. Was amazing.

Anybody play the PC beta? Because how this performed on the quad makes me nervous.

The shooting, the cover,and the movement feel clunky in a way that the Hitman games never did before. I hope it's a really old build, because it killed any excitement I had for the game.

murgo

Jesus, the framerate is atrocious. I played the PC beta as well at an almost smooth 60fps on my 3+ year old rig at almost max details. The PS4 version looks worse and can't even keep a locked 30 fps..

Harlequin

IIRC (and correct me if I'm wrong, I may well misremember it), the Digital Foundry analysis of the closed beta said that the PS4 framerate kept above 30fps most of the time but that it feels really bad and unstable because it's not locked at 30 so it keeps jumping around in between 30 and 60. Baffling why they don't just lock it.

ZangBa

I was hiding in a locker watching as this guard placed a person I killed in a body bag. But for some reason he walked outside of the room to picked him up through the wall. The body was going crazy. Was amazing.

Anybody play the PC beta? Because how this performed on the quad makes me nervous.

I just uploaded one of the glitches because of how hilarious the sound effects and yelling are. SQUISHHHH!

TeddyBoy

I played through it, it took about an hour or so. It feels like Hitman again and I'll be looking at buying either the starter edition or the complete pack.

I played the first level of the beta earlier today and played around a lot in the free play mode, finishing all the challenges. If they fix the framerate issues on PS4 and keep building on what they've got now, I'm pretty sure I'm going to love this game once the full version eventually comes out (as I'm done with playing games episodically).

Okada

The shooting, the cover,and the movement feel clunky in a way that the Hitman games never did before. I hope it's a really old build, because it killed any excitement I had for the game.

What are you talking about?

Hitman has never been about shooting and cover.

Moff

that's weird, I love all the hitman games, but up to blood money they all had terrible controls.
absolution was the first game that really improved them, and the new game has absolutions controls.

Pifje

Things I noticed in the first few minutes:

- Out of sync lip sync in the first cut scene
- Horrible framerate and performance. It is almost disorienting
- Graphics look just OK, nothing special in any way
- Ragdoll physics clipping through walls, stairs, objects
- Subtitles don't work
- AI is either blind or has got super eyesight and hearing

Not very cool.

Kaversmed

I know this is a beta but everything was just super janky and glitchy it destroyed the little hope I had left for this game. They shouldn't have released a beta in this state to the public, I have very little faith everything will be all smooth and dandy on release date.

I played the Uncharted 4 beta right before this...

Even tho they're very different games, the Polish in UC4 stuck in the back of my mind while I played this

Alot of clunky animations. But it's hitman so idc

Oneself

What are you talking about?

Hitman has never been about shooting and cover.
Indeed. And Hitman has never been not clunky and the fiberwire always felt janky.
Looks like some people here only played the worst but best performing Hitman (Absolution).

Jintor

so i didn't realise the beta was open for PC. Just ran through the opening missions, pretty small but felt like lots to do, multiple angles of approach.

Just wish there was a way to vary speed of movement on kb+m. Probably just play with a controller and switch to kb+m if I need precision aiming... which I shouldn't, but who knows

/edit also: hilarious bug where I shot the target in the head and he bugged out standing in the position but I could still 'drag' his corpse... except 47's arms were stuck to the corpse and just started stretching wherever I moved 47 around. I shrugged and left.

Things I noticed in the first few minutes:

- Out of sync lip sync in the first cut scene
- Horrible framerate and performance. It is almost disorienting
- Graphics look just OK, nothing special in any way
- Ragdoll physics clipping through walls, stairs, objects
- Subtitles don't work
- AI is either blind or has got super eyesight and hearing

Not very cool.

Any chance this will all be fixed for release?

Game seems exceptionally bland. Will reserve judgement for the final version, but my main concern is that situations feel artificial. I'm not figuring out my own way to solve a puzzle, I'm just discovering distinct/obvious paths that have been left open for me

Any chance this will all be fixed for release?

it was mentioned in this thread that IO said in a stream that tech issues will be/have been fixed by launch

also since this is the same build from the February beta which explains why stuff has not been fixed yet

Game seems exceptionally bland. Will reserve judgement for the final version, but my main concern is that situations feel artificial. I'm not figuring out my own way to solve a puzzle, I'm just discovering distinct/obvious paths that have been left open for me

except for the challenge menu which basically tells you what ways to complete the mission i don't see much difference from this to blood money

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Really didn't enjoy anything in my time with the beta. A poor way to sell the game. I'll try it again later to at least try everything in the beta but it would have to be a lot better than what I've seen so far to impress. Performance and controls are really bad and enemies all have super senses.

QaaQer

It does feel more like a puzzle game than an open world/level. You need to discover the ways the developers created to do the different objectives and challenges. The world isn't dynamic or real feeling.

Am I disappointed we aren't getting gameplay that is dynamic, unpredictable, and emergent? A little. But something like that would cost a boatload of money and might not even be possible on today's tech. I also don't know how many people would even enjoy that.

I do find it fun as a puzzle game though. I'm also hoping there are some creation tools so we can get a murder-sim version of mario maker.

styl3s

Don't understand the purpose of a beta for a game that's going to be out in a week.
Last minute stress testing for online connectivity maybe?

And most betas these days are just glorified demos and it gives a chance for people who are still on the fence to try before they buy.

Played it. Thought it was pretty boring. Felt like a PS3 game in many ways. Noticed lots of little graphical bugs, and also had the cutscene / audio out of sync problem. Staying away from this one.

What exactly are they stress testing ?
There is no live content, contracts mode or even leaderboards available in this beta.

Jarnet87

What exactly are they stress testing ?
There is no live content, contracts mode, or even leaderboards available in this beta.

so I can go offline and play through the level? If so will try that in another 5 minutes when this thing gives up searching.

Feels dated. This beta killed any chance of me picking it up, and unfortunately the beta is getting overshadowed by the Uncharted beta. Hopefully fans of the series like the game.

lantus

Does it usually take a long time to connect on the splash screen? Been sitting here for a couple minutes waiting to connect.

Top Bottom