• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hitman (Episode 1) - Review Thread

Foffy

Banned
Yeah, but Gamersyde say: http://gamersyde.com/news_what_we_think_of_hitman-17650_en.html

Is it every kind of Challenge? Lets say you are playing offline and killing the target in X way is a challenge. You pull it off but it won't unlock the challenge? I guess if there are separate offline\online saves then the only way to have it registered you completed that challenge is by playing online. I also understand you need to complete the mission in the same run for the challenge you completed during it to be saved.

Challenges are locked to being online because they want to get server-side information on what players are doing, and plan content around it.

I think the game saves offline progression between levels save for that and the Elusive Target jazz.

So what are we looking at pricing wise?

£39.99 for everything
---
£10.99 for tutorial and Paris in March
£10.99 for Italy in April
£10.99 for Morocco in May
£10.99 for Thailand in mid 2016
£10.99 for United States
£10.99 for Japan in late 2016
= £65.94

Hope the expansions are cheaper. Wonder if you'll be able to buy them and play them out of order if one of the episodes looks boring.

I appreciate they're keeping the last three episodes vague so they don't end up with inevitable delays. Even though Brad suggested 6 episodes over 6 months. I really don't understand why they're waiting until January for the disc release. I don't think they're confident they can get Japan done in good time which is weird.

They have confirmed an additional seventh episode in the works. We have no idea on what it is.

I'm not into the idea of episodic releases in general. And with this plan in particular, playing one level per month for 6+ months is real questionable. One month is like the max length I play a whole game for before I feel done with it. But gosh darn it, I want to play some damn Hitman. Think I'll at least get the first episode.

Ya a PS4 with an ssd cuts it down.

First time through 2. After that...well there is the contracts mode, the time sensitive hits, and a couple other situations. As a original Hitman fan I can say this is some of the most fun I have had in the series bar none.

Damn you Karak!

I was going to wait for the retail release since Im still deep in Garden Warfare 2 and Battlefront. The want is real now for Hitman....damn.

Foffy

Banned
I'm not into the idea of episodic releases in general. And with this plan in particular, playing one level per month for 6+ months is real questionable. One month is like the max length I play a whole game for before I feel done with it. But gosh darn it, I want to play some damn Hitman. Think I'll at least get the first episode.

I imagine they think the weekly live events will help ease the experience of holding onto locations a bit. If at the very least, this is their attempt at having players try and do everything in the locations, which even for a Hitman fan like me, I can't say I've ever done.

They have confirmed an additional seventh episode in the works. We have no idea on what it is.
January suddenly makes a little more sense then. Thanks! Still wonder if they're going to miss out on good Christmas money by not having a box on shelves.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
January suddenly makes a little more sense then. Thanks! Still wonder if they're going to miss out on good Christmas money by not having a box on shelves.

Maybe a Christmas themed level instead?

hitman-blood-money-agent-47-santa-thumb.jpg

Karak

Damn you Karak!

I was going to wait for the retail release since Im still deep in Garden Warfare 2 and Battlefront. The want is real now for Hitman....damn.

LOL. Honestly these months usually aren't that good for games for me. At least in the past couple years but just in these past few weeks. So many amazing games man. This one really surprised me. I wasn't too hot on the beta.

Can anyone confirm if contracts mode includes the tutorial areas?

confirmed.

This is exciting stuff, but the deets I really want to know are how Contracts is similar and different from Contracts in Absolution. I reeeally want to know how they mixed it up. Can you have more targets in a single contract than 3? Are there more/different conditions you can place? I need informations people! :D

LOL. Honestly these months usually aren't that good for games for me. At least in the past couple years but just in these past few weeks. So many amazing games man. This one really surprised me. I wasn't too hot on the beta.

Yeah, I didnt really click with the beta that much. The levels felt too cramped and the performance was pretty awful. Good to hear that the first episode has been pretty well received. Hopefully its a sign of the things to come in the future episodes.

DukeBobby

These were the reviews I was expecting.

A solid start, but the best is yet to come. Sapienza and Marrakesh look very promising.

justjim89

I'd much rather be playing chunks of Hitman now and throughout the year than have to wait until January for the full game. The beta was a hell of a lot of fun and I can't wait to check this out tomorrow. I like how throwing melee weapons is now a portable knockout instead of a kill.

The middling review scores and the complaints with them kinda just make me realize that Blood Money itself wouldn't review terribly well if it came out in this day and age. I'm not reading anything very troubling other than maybe some of the more Hitman-centric folks at RPS and PC Gamer intimating that the Paris level might actually be too big for its own good. Either way, it really sounds like proper Hitman is back.

I tried to record some footage to have up today, but my capture setup is troublesome.

I played the PC version, and here's my thoughts. Enemy sightlines are absolute bullshit, you'll get caught by people when you're nowhere near them, people can hear through anything, and 47 moves so stiffly. I couldn't make it past the "final test" because I had no clear indication of what the fuck I was supposed to do, and any time I tried to do anything creative, the game told me to fuck myself.

I'm gonna give it another shot, but man that shit pissed me off.

So what are we looking at pricing wise?

£39.99 for everything
---
£10.99 for tutorial and Paris in March
£10.99 for Italy in April
£10.99 for Morocco in May
£10.99 for Thailand in mid 2016
£10.99 for United States
£10.99 for Japan in late 2016
= £65.94

Hope the expansions are cheaper. Wonder if you'll be able to buy them and play them out of order if one of the episodes looks boring.

I appreciate they're keeping the last three episodes vague so they don't end up with inevitable delays. Even though Brad suggested 6 episodes over 6 months. I really don't understand why they're waiting until January for the disc release. I don't think they're confident they can get Japan done in good time which is weird.

I'm not confident they'll hit their dates. There's really no good examples of episodic games that have.

diffusionx

Gold Member
This seems like a cool game and it looks like IO tried really hard to deepen the simulation.

However I'm going to wait until a bit more content comes down, and see if IO addresses the complaints.

I actually in favor of the ranking system is out of 5 stars like RE4 Mercs or some shit. Instead of getting some random name like Maniac or Phantom Killer or all those other names that weren't Silent Assassin.

Foffy

Banned

They have not said a physical release will launch in 2017. So, this additional episode will be making the 2016 release schedule.

Ashtar

Mine
Rated it a Buy for ACG (Formally Angrycentaurgaming) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26MTiR-6GTg

I would say its one of the more enjoyable levels of Hitman I have ever played and adding in the challenges and other addons I have logged more time with that one level than 4 or 5 in past titles. There is something to be said for almost sliding through a level from point to point and then finding an opportunity you never heard before and having to decide which way to go. Sadly A couple issues exist in the PS4 version when it comes to frame-rate that even locking it doesn't fix.
Sounds really good, as always I love your reviews but my god man do they just chain you in a room to do reviews you pump out reviews for every game that drops!
I wasn't super sold on the beta but this sounds good, I'll wait for physical release though

DukeBobby

At the end of the Gamespot review:

THE BAD
- Missions rely too strongly on using disguises

Scratching my head a little at that.

Moff

I guess every mission will have the suit only challenge so this absolutely a good thing if there are many disguises around you can rely on

Bliddo

I'm fine with long loading times, but being kicked to the main menu when the connection is lost pisses me off. The beta also had the challenges locked behind the online mode (and if you go in rest mode, you wake up in permanent offline mode).
Anyhoo, pretty much what I expected from it, can't wait to play it tomorrow.

Oh wow, didn't know this was coming out already. I thought there was a few weeks yet.

Reviews aren't great, but aren't terrible either. Sounds like the gameplay should satisfy.

Foffy

Banned
Maybe they were going for no disguise run and it was too difficult for them?

The game actually expects you to be able to beat all missions without changing disguises, based on the Challenges we've seen so far.

Of course, like in Absolution, these will be the hardest tasks to do, especially when not bringing out your inner Max Payne.

I'm gonna hold off a few days to see what the PC optimization is like. It was very hit and miss in the beta.

Apparently very well, based on the video keltickennedy posted.

Karak

Sounds really good, as always I love your reviews but my god man do they just chain you in a room to do reviews you pump out reviews for every game that drops!
I wasn't super sold on the beta but this sounds good, I'll wait for physical release though

LOL. Its just me. So if I blame anyone...its myself. Nah all kidding aside I am just always up, and always playing games so I might as well review them.
Its nice they are doing the physical release for sure.

At the end of the Gamespot review:

THE BAD
- Missions rely too strongly on using disguises

Scratching my head a little at that.
Holy christ I just saw this lol. At some point someone has to stop the madness and ask them why clueless is pretending to be clued in.

pcbrown

Neo Member
LOL. Its just me. So if I blame anyone...its myself. Nah all kidding aside I am just always up, and always playing games so I might as well review them.
Its nice they are doing the physical release for sure.

Holy christ I just saw this lol. At some point someone has to stop the madness and ask them why clueless is pretending to be clued in.

Hey all, Hitman reviewer from GameSpot here. Just want to clarify that, while using disguises are part and parcel of Hitman, it doesn't mean that it's a mechanic that's above criticism.

Yes, you can accomplish some tasks without them, but by and large they are the key to resolving a lot of situations, and I grew tired of how much focus was placed on them here. I'm not condemning disguises in general, and frankly, my score was more influenced by the rushed quality of the game, the sometimes questionable AI, and of course, by the elements that I enjoyed.

Hey all, Hitman reviewer from GameSpot here. Just want to clarify that, while using disguises are part and parcel of Hitman, it doesn't mean that it's a mechanic that's above criticism.

Yes, you can accomplish some tasks without them, but by and large they are the key to resolving a lot of situations, and I grew tired of how much focus was placed on them here. I'm not condemning disguises in general, and frankly, my score was more influenced by the rushed quality of the game, the sometimes questionable AI, and of course, by the elements that I enjoyed.

The thing is, the disguise system is a series staple. It's not unlike criticizing a traditional stealth game for its emphasis on hiding in shadows. The whole point of the Hitman franchise has *always* been hiding in plain sight.

Top Bottom