• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Honest question to souls games fans

To deal with the endless die-repeat cycle, I'm playing these games with an easy mod. And they are quite fun. Friends of mine argue that Souls games are designed around the idea of being difficult. My personal view is that if the game is good, it shouldn't rely on difficulty to be fun. So, I use the mods and enjoy the game, discovering that Souls-like games are great.

DavidGzz

How do you cope with frustration and tedious repetition?
How do you find time to grind and farm in these games?
Why do you like it?

Okay these are 3 questions, but somehow linked together.

Context:
WTX2KcO.jpeg

As you can see, I played like 7h Demon's Souls and uninstalled it afterwards.
It was my first and last From game.
The few first hours were fun, I admit, but after I realize that to level up any skill I need to grind for 1h, and I would still be nothing and considered low level shmuck, I said I quit. Where is the fun in it?
And, oh, I played as Royal, considered the easiest class to start in this game, I don't want to know how I end up being knight or whatever of that sort.

I am 42 going on 43 soon so I grew up with hard games. Original TMNT, Contra, Punch out, 1v1 in arcades against tough opponents in Street Fighter 2, Diablo 1 where you'd die and lose all your gear and had to do a naked run to retrieve it, etc. So Demons Souls struck a cord with me. Admittedly, I bounced off of it at first. Tried it again a few months later and fell into a deep love for the forumula. It was old school difficulty and grind I loved as a kid, back in a new form with great meaty combat. What's not to love, I say.

raduque

I don't play Souls games because at 42 my fast twitch abilities are all but gone. I can't get the pixel and millisecond perfect timing required to beat enemies in Souls games. Same reason the miniboss with the shield is the worst thing ever in Doom Eternal.

Hohenheim

How do you cope with frustration and tedious repetition?
How do you find time to grind and farm in these games?
Why do you like it?
The joy of victory makes the frustration well worth it.
The grind is Zen. Relaxing and fun.
I like it because of the atmosphere,design, perfect gameplay and the fact that it works kinda like meditation for me.
Nothing else works like that.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
There's no grinding required in DeS. You quite naturally grow stronger as you progress. It's also by far the easiest Soulsborne game.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Demon Souls is only difficult when its your first time and your very first Souls game.

But once you played later FROM games the enemies and bosses in Demon's souls feels like moving in slow motion

I work for the feeling of ultimate accomplishment. Beating the Lothric twins has been a feeling I've been chasing ever since. Mohg came close to it. You feel so badass after the struggle.

GymWolf

Gold Member
Almost every time i tried to grind in demons souls i eventually lost all the souls for some stupid death, i learned my lesson, i never purposely grind in these games, just exploring, dying and fighting a lot is enough.

Paasei

Learn, adapt, survive. It’s rewarding.

I did get tired of the combat system itself, though. Too many games with the same formula without there being too much different from the other to make it fun. Just taking a break of them.

Grinding is not really necessary I find. It’s nice to have a little more stamina and HP, but if you know a boss well enough (after several tries), you’re not going to be hit a lot anyway.
Weapons do the damage more than your stats. Just find a good one.

Calverz

in my younger days i wouldve loved "souls likes" but fuck that shit now, im in my 40s and have limited game time, give me narrative driven solo games any day of the week.
I’m 38 and I’m the complete opposite. I cannot be bothered with watching boring cutscenes over and over in a game that’s been bloated to 12-20 hours to playthrough. I’d far rather play a souls game where essentially you are given a short cutscene at the start and basically left to get on with it.

Top Bottom