• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon: Zero Dawn | Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
If you guys hate lens flare because it makes you squint then you're going to hate the HDR future as Sony and others have already shown off sets that can get bright enough you'd need to look away from the screen.

If you guys hate lens flare because it makes you squint then you're going to hate the HDR future as Sony and others have already shown off sets that can get bright enough you'd need to look away from the screen.
Lol re7 already makes me squint on a 1000nits tv and i dont even have it at max backlight.
And those dolby people want hdr tvs to have 10k peak brightness

Lol re7 already makes me squint on a 1000nits tv and i dont even have it at max backlight.
And those dolby people want hdr tvs to have 10k peak brightness

Do you also have my superstition where something doesn't feel right with HDR and max backlight? I also set it to 19, not 20. I don't know. Afraid it will burn out faster, or something.

I just listened to the bombcast last night and the way Jeff talks about the game....

He's rarely that glowing about video games. I absolutely cannot wait to play.

aravuus

My recommendation: Start on Normal and play half the game that way--until the story really starts picking up steam and the battles do, too. That first half probably wouldn't be too bad on the higher difficulties anyway, and by that point, I think a few particular fights will make it very clear whether you should bump it up (which you can do at any time).

You can change the difficulty level any time, right? I'd imagine the best way to approach the game would be to start on the hardest difficulty then, if you're looking for a challenge. Knock it down a peg if you run into a multi-hour roadblock and back up when it starts getting too easy again.

But very nice to hear there's almost none of that Witcher sense search-for-shit bullshit. It got so, so tiring in TW3.

Coxy100

Banned
I'm not normally one for being bothered about metacratic scores - but must admit in this instance I do find it a shame horizon didn't sneak into the 90's for Guerrila Games.

Don't get me wrong 88 is a great score (and I can't wait to play it) but a shame a couple of not so great reviews can drag it down a wee bit

When you say so many top scores - you expect to see it higher.

Tinúviel

I didn't know there was a version without the Aloy figure just pre-ordered this.I definitely need this artbook.

27521821175_fba7601a00_b.jpg

Shredderi

Jesus fuck! Didn't expect to see an open world game that looks better than Witcher 3 on console.

I mean Shadow Fall wasn't the best but it wasn't a disaster.

Yeah I found most of it enjoyable. Amazing visuals as well. Then again I got it for 10e.

reKon

Banned
GAF tends to favor games with strong gameplay so I'm sure that this will be a popular one here, even if there are higher rated games.

I know the assumption is that games like Mass Effect and other franchises will probably score better, but I can already tell this is going to be a legitimate favorite here. The combat looks amazing, the performance is top notch, and the visuals are stunning at all times.

Portman

Tinúviel;230800978 said:
I didn't know there was a version without the Aloy figure just pre-ordered this.I definitely need this artbook.

There is a full sized artbook if you're interested. It's up on Amazon for pre-order too. I started to get the CE because I love the setting but then I saw the full sized release of the art book and switch to it.

You can change the difficulty level any time, right? I'd imagine the best way to approach the game would be to start on the hardest difficulty then, if you're looking for a challenge. Knock it down a peg if you run into a multi-hour roadblock and back up when it starts getting too easy again.

But very nice to hear there's almost none of that Witcher sense search-for-shit bullshit. It got so, so tiring in TW3.

Sure, I think you could go either way. My instinct would be start Normal and go up because I always like to play the developer's "intended" experience first, and it results in less frustrating, cheap moments.

At the end of the day, all I can say is, Normal is a legitimate challenge that brought back a lot of leg-slapping nostalgia for me. And I think a lot of reviews have echoed that (with that Kotaku exception, of course). I genuinely think "Very Hard" would be a Souls-type challenge. I'm going to clean up the Platinum trophy then perhaps start over on that.

VanWinkle

Lens flare is just as garbage as chromatic aberration and many other effects like film grain.

No way. CA is something that is constantly in your frame. It doesn't go away. Lens flare like the one on the gif is only when you're looking at the sun. It also doesn't permeate the whole frame like CA does. In addition, it's actually an aesthetically pleasing effect even if you don't like how it affects gameplay.

Unknown?

Holy shit at those scores. Really glad for Guerrilla after the disaster that was Shadow Fall.
Well it may not have helped their reputation but ShadowFall did do over 4 million. That made them money!

GAF tends to favor games with strong gameplay so I'm sure that this will be a popular one here, even if there are higher rated games.

I know the assumption is that games like Mass Effect and other franchises will probably score better, but I can already tell this is going to be a legitimate favorite here. The combat looks amazing, the performance is top notch, and the visuals are stunning at all times.

I doubt mass effect will score higher. It'll probably be upper 80s as well.

Tinúviel;230800978 said:

The artbook isnt actually like that I'm pretty sure. In the collectors edition unboxing (with the statue) it looked like a normal square one that is pretty standard, rather than the book it looks like there.

Tyaren

The artbook isnt actually like that I'm pretty sure. In the collectors edition unboxing (with the statue) it looked like a normal square one that is pretty standard, rather than the book it looks like there.

The art book also isn't that thick in reality. It got 48 pages and is rather slim. ;)

Do you also have my superstition where something doesn't feel right with HDR and max backlight? I also set it to 19, not 20. I don't know. Afraid it will burn out faster, or something.
Yep, its ridiculously bright, almost unnaturally so. I don't like it. Lower brightness is more bearable as long as i have turned off most of my room lights and the blacks are much better

Kyne

Tinúviel;230800978 said:

is this NON-US? Otherwise where'd you find it?

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Fuck I'm honestly considering picking up a PS4 Pro after seeing this game in 4K. As in I'm tempted to get one this weekend before the game launches and get it set up and ready to go. I'm even thinking about calling into work on Tuesday as I no longer need to be on a job site. Damn its not been since Bloodbourne that I will do this...

Zedark

Tinúviel;230800978 said:

Doesn't the limited edition come with a digital version of the art book rather than an actual book? Will do some digging now.

Edit: I think there are two different limited editions, one digital (with digital art book) and one physical (with steel case and physical art book).

Garlador

Tinúviel;230800978 said:

I ordered this version. I'm baffled the US didn't get this choice, so I hopped over to the UK online stores to nab this. Didn't need the statue, but I wanted everything else. Perfect middle ground.

Gradly

If you'd have shown this to people at the start of the generation they'd have called bullshot. If you'd have told them it was an open world game than ran at a near locked frame-rate they'd have laughed you out of the thread...

They set the bar high for graphics, now I can't accept anything less than that

Tinúviel;230800978 said:

Don't pre order for the artbook, when it will be a smaller, cheaper, slimer version of the real deal :

CAGsjG5.png

releasing 2 days prior to the game

ckaneo

https://waypoint.vice.com/en_us/article/horizon-zero-dawn-is-a-roller-coaster?utm_source=wptwitterus

Not a review per se, but Austin Walker from Waypoint wrote up some (mixed) thoughts on the game. Wasn't sure whether to post this here or in the impressions thread.
Yeah, probably hit the games negatives that most reviewers won't hit. Lots of repetition of enemies and the world itself is pretty boring. That said, I shudder to think of the time spent to even add 1 new robot in this game. 26ish is pretty good in that respect

Fuck I'm honestly considering picking up a PS4 Pro after seeing this game in 4K. As in I'm tempted to get one this weekend before the game launches and get it set up and ready to go. I'm even thinking about calling into work on Tuesday as I no longer need to be on a job site. Damn its not been since Bloodbourne that I will do this...

I got my PS4 Pro off eBay (sold by Newegg) - it was $399 and came with Rise of the Tomb Raider and Deus Ex: MD bundled (actual discs). Well worth it. No tax or shipping IIRC.

I ordered this version. I'm baffled the US didn't get this choice, so I hopped over to the UK online stores to nab this. Didn't need the statue, but I wanted everything else. Perfect middle ground.

I want this as well, is there any cons of playing a UK disk in NA? I know it's region free

Tyaren

Don't know if this was posted here before but this video shows Aloy running through all the map in the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VIZF4DOW3Y

(Takes about 25 minutos from one end to another).

I usually soak up all preview and review footage like a sponge. I can't help myself when I am super excited for a game...but watching this...no, I can't. It'll ruin the excitement of discovering the map for myself. I have to stay away from that vid. It's so hard though. >__<

Lots of repetition of enemies and the world itself is pretty boring.

dont-believe-you.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom