• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon: Zero Dawn | Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gskyace

Are there any missable trophies?

Nope, as far as I know.
I like Horizon's trophy design,
it allows you to enjoy the game as you like.
No pressure on missing anything.

How long did it take?

It takes 60 hours for me.
Normally I guess people will get their platinum naturally around 70 hours.
But with guides, it could be 50 hours finally.

Really enjoy the photo mode, it's amazing.

So all the new reviews coming in are like 9s and 10s but none of them get added to MC...but that one low score just dragged the score below 90. Kinda unfair to include that low score in their algorithm. These outliers should not be included or should not have that much weight on the final score.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
So all the new reviews coming in are like 9s and 10s but none of them get added to MC...but that one low score just dragged the score below 90. Kinda unfair to include that low score in their algorithm. These outliers should not be included or should not have that much weight on the final score.

Eh that's how it works though. Would be weird if they just started dropping negative reviews because the majority of them are very positive.

I mean the world is pretty boring obvious you can fight enemies but other than that I can't think of anything particularly fun about the overworld, but realistically most worlds are boring. Just look at real life.

My opinion I guess.

That is actually a very interesting opinion that explains the whole "open world fatigue". Developpers like to make games with huge worlds because going anywhere is a great selling point, people can't travel anywhere anytime in real life so they do it in games. However, the reality is that videogames can't make the simple activity of taking a walk remotely as fun as doing it in real life. Tilting a stick to progress in a huge world isn't nearly as compelling as actually going outside. That is why games need much more reasonssuch as scenario, level design and gameplay mechanics to encourage the player to bare with the more passive elements of the game.

One of the most beloved/fondly remembered "open world" moments in all of videogames was getting to Hyrule Field in OOT. Now people may say it's small and empty, but the real value of this moment was leaving a secluded area and then discover the whole hub that had like 5 other points of interest that you could access and even see from afar. Most open world games settle on making huge worlds sprinkled with enemies, quests and loot but that can get very monotonous, those are very basic rewards. An area in a videogame needs a much more elaborate design to be memorable rather than simply being a huge/pretty landscape

Floody

Waste of time,arguing against a zelda's fan,not matter how empty and bland BOTW looks,will always be better in his eyes.

Yep, just a big waste of time. BoTW is a beautiful game, but it's all on down to it's art style, Horizon is arguably a generation ahead technically. It always gets a chunkle out of me when I see some trying to compare the two in this regard though.

Elandyll

Banned
I think they're banned, but dual shockers just gave a 10/10

http://www.dualshockers.com/2017/02...lla-games-finally-delivered-true-masterpiece/

Edit: guess not?

The development team delivered a game that simply has it all, and on top of that comes with a large content suite that will keep you entertained for ten of hours. In years past, they may have struggled to deliver a true masterpiece, but this is it.

Guerrilla Games has broken free from the claustrophobic limits of linear shooters and has spread its wings with a gorgeous open world RPG that sets itself as a strong contender for game of the year… and it’s only February.

And yes, they're on MC ;)

Eh that's how it works though. Would be weird if they just started dropping negative reviews because the majority of them are very positive.

That's not what I meant, that they should ignore all the negative scores. I was saying if a game gets scores of: 9, 9.5, 8, 8.5, 9, 5 ... then that 5 should not be weighted so much as its kinda an outlier. Similarly if a games gets: 6, 7, 5.5, 4, 4.5, 9.5 .. then that 9.5 should be considered an outlier and should be weighted lower in the formula. Not sure what their weird formula is but to me it just seems unfair that a few low scores have so much weight.

Wait, is this game just as eye engorgingly beautiful on a regular PS4? i don't want to be graphically disappointed when I pick it up; though, I'm already sure I will love the story and gameplay.

bombshell

I think they're banned, but dual shockers just gave a 10/10

http://www.dualshockers.com/2017/02...lla-games-finally-delivered-true-masterpiece/

Edit: guess not?

And yes, they're on MC ;)

Very, very nice score.

This part though:

Ultimately, Horizon Zero Dawn is an absolutely fantastic game. It’s very polished, and comes with a compelling story, relatable characters, an absolutely fascinating setting, and top-notch gameplay. On top of that, its visuals will make you wonder if Santa secretly sneaked into your room to replace your PS4 with a gaming PC while you were asleep. It simply looks that good.

Hooo boy, I hope not too many PC only players read that ;D

Floody

Wait, is this game just as eye engorgingly beautiful on a regular PS4? i don't want to be graphically disappointed when I pick it up; though, I'm already sure I will love the story and gameplay.

It looks good enough to were you doubt it's the regular PS4 whenever someone posts a picture from it, so you shouldn't be disappointed. Think it's mostly just resolution that get's greatly improved on the Pro, which I'm sure makes it look just extra ridiculously good.

Cudder

I think I`ll be picking it up, but two games I've been playing recently are Rise of the Tomb Raider and Witcher 3 (both of which I have yet to beat). I hope I don't get fatigued adding Horizon on top of those two given it borrows from the aforementioned games for its mechanics.

Well this page has been an embarrassment. Stop bringing up Zelda if you have no valid comparison to make. Both games look amazing for their respective platforms and scope...

Lemondish

I mean, I understand the idea of dropping the outliers, but you're absolutely right.

However, aggregates of total scores using multiple different types of scoring methods will never be all that accurate in the first place. For instance, outlets that use a 5 star rating without any steps in between will naturally drag down a game's score. A 4 out of 5 star rating would be considered an 8, when in actuality it could be anywhere between 8 and 9.49.

geordiemp

It's technically impressive and gorgeous but it looks super static to me. Nothing moves from afar, it's a bit lifeless in those videos.
Sorry to bring Breath of the Wild here (again), but its world seem more natural and lively.

Every BOTW video I have seen has no more than 5 things alive such as enemies on screen at any time.

5....................Its so damn empty. I keep looking...nothing, static, empty...use whatever, its the normal 5 enemies spawn in open world thing.....

At least Horizon I spotted a heard of more than 10 in a video = Yes I look , as aside from creed games so many open world games are empty. I will judge horizon similarly

BouncyFrag

Amazon prime has a $8 discount going on only for today cutting the price to roughly $40 when you factor in the prime discount for pre-orders. Details on the Amazon homepage. The purchase has to be at least $50 to get the $8 discount.

Edit: not good for games. Sorry :(

Amazon prime has a $8 discount going on only for today cutting the price to roughly $40 when you factor in the prime discount for pre-orders. Details on the Amazon homepage. The purchase has to be at least $50 to get the $8 discount.
It doesn't apply to video games for whatever odd reason.

Digital Foundry said it is a masterpiece on OG PS4 and Pro.

It looks good enough to were you doubt it's the regular PS4 whenever someone posts a picture from it, so you shouldn't be disappointed. Think it's mostly just resolution that get's greatly improved on the Pro, which I'm sure makes it look just extra ridiculously good.

Great to know! I am so excited to play this game. Ever since the first trailer I have been nothing but in love with it.

I'm confused about the type of game he expected to play.

he actually said something more along the idea that it was overly self serious and seemed concerned with letting people know how serious it was, (edit)but I could also be misremembering that as well. it's not as "I wish it was a comedy" as the other post seems to imply

KZObsessed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rPxiXXxftE&t=3m2s

More things are moving. Also the environment sounds are more elaborate I think.

On the third video, the grass is moving but beyond that everything is very static. The clouds aren't moving and so on. The footage from Zelda I shown earlier looks more alive for me.
Anyway, you're right, I won't be too noticeable during action, it doesn't matter too much. I just prefer Zelda's rendition of a living world.

You're not gonna be able to make out the movement of individual leaves on far distant trees during a breeze, mainly because they wouldn't even be fully rendered at that distance never mind the resolution not being high enough.

There's more examples of things not moving in that Zelda video to be honest. Very simply rendered trees for example quite close to the character with either no movement or very poorly animated movement. From the footage that's been released of both games Horizon clearly has way more movement in the environment than Zelda, I'm surprised anyone would think or declare otherwise to be honest.

And I've just had a realisation of what a strange conversation this is...

Raylan

Banned
Famitsu:

130ccc-1487792774.jpg

Horizon: Zero Dawn (PS4) – 9/9/9/9 [36/40]

joecanada

Every BOTW video I have seen has no more than 5 things alive such as enemies on screen at any time.

5....................Its so damn empty. I keep looking...nothing, static, empty...use whatever, its the normal 5 enemies spawn in open world thing.....

At least Horizon I spotted a heard of more than 10 in a video = Yes I look , as aside from creed games so many open world games are empty. I will judge horizon similarly

even though far cry has a lot wrong with it I'll give it props here.... it is pretty full of life, although I don't know if it counts if you are literally just killing everything lol. "life".

deoee

5?
That's pretty much, max I've seen is 4.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom