• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon: Zero Dawn won't be 'tutorialised'; RPG systems detailed

Alo0oy

Banned
Summer 2016 is the best release day for new IP. If they dont want to send it to die, avoid Holiday

Depends on the game's quality, word of mouth, & marketing. The first Uncharted released in December 2007, & it ended up being a 10+ million seller by the time UC3 released.

May 2016 - Uncharted 4

October 2016 - Horizon

November 2016 - The Last Guardian

Next year is going to be insane if all three of those games release.

If Uncharted 4 truly is a February or March title, I wouldn't be surprised to see this being released on May or June. It does make me wonder if that means Gran Turismo 7 and The Last Guardian will be the only ones gearing up for Fall 2016 or that also mean God of War will be leaving its comfortable Spring release window for a Fall release.

Then again looking at this Fall, Sony appears to have no problem having nothing from their first party studios for a holiday season now that they are dominating. Sure we have a lot of smaller games from their 2nd party partners and many PS4/PC titles, but you know what I mean.

I do hope Horizon comes out before next E3 though. I would be absolutely ecstatic.

Best wishes.

since Sony is the market leader now, they have less pressure to release games on holiday since third party games sold better on PS4 anyway, which is why Sony has been pretty lenient to let games delayed if the developer think they need it.

so I'd say Horizon will be released when GG felt they're ready.

Steel

Banned
You're right, of course. Napata says it was advertised as an action-RPG by some (?), though, and I can actually see how it could be spun that way ("open-world! skill trees! approach the combat with strategy and use your arsenal that you can level up! side-quests!" yadda yadda), but I'm confident enough that it was just a unique case of grossly misleading advertising, haha.

Shadow of mordor is totally listed as an RPG on Steam, so it was billed as an RPG in more than just marketing. There's nothing wrong with a game not being an RPG at all, but it's tacked on to everything nowadays.

Walpurgis

Banned
Perks?
:(

RPG system means NUMBERS, people. Let me craft bows with better attack.

Please.

There are numbers. IGN said they saw numbers popping up after hits in the behind closed doors demo it's like other RPGs.

Does anyone know if coop is still in?

Edit:
I was a bit concerned when we got 'white people in native dress' opening, to be honest. I'm sure that'll turn into a thing.
They were inspired by vikings but I know people will create outrage out of this in due time.

She's not using wooden arrows and rocks.

Yeah, and these are not dinosaurs of flesh and blood. Anyway, the established theme is that humans play second fiddle to the machines. Did she look like she was playing second fiddle to anyone?

Taking down one of the big ones should be a lot more intense and drawn out affair, otherwise it just doesn't fit so well with what we've told about the game so far.

kyser73

Yeah, and these are not dinosaurs of flesh and blood. Anyway, the established theme is that human's play second fiddle to the machines. Did she look like she was playing second fiddle to anyone?

Taking down one of the big ones should be a lot more intense and drawn out affair, otherwise it just doesn't fit so well with what we've told about the game so far.

It's almost as if they had to create a vertical slice of gameplay to fit into a slot during a conference presentation.

Then again looking at this Fall, Sony appears to have no problem having nothing from their first party studios for a holiday season now that they are dominating. Sure we have a lot of smaller games from their 2nd party partners and many PS4/PC titles, but you know what I mean.

Sony have what, 9 titles out between now and November and 'lead platform' marketing for Creed, CoD and Star Wars for Xmas.

Sure I'd like UC4 on Xmas day, but in terms of 'concern' about their holiday lineup...well...

Despera

Banned
Yeah, and these are not dinosaurs of flesh and blood. Anyway, the established theme is that humans play second fiddle to the machines. Did she look like she was playing second fiddle to anyone?

The person playing in that trailer seems to know exactly how to handle that type of dino. Not to mention that Aloy was level 12 and had access to some upgrades.

I'm sure if we were to encounter this enemy type for the first time without any prior knowledge the fight would take more time.

Jabba

Banned
I have one real fear about this game. I hope they don't ignore the fact that the dinos are supposed to be at the top of the food chain.

It looked terrible how the girl was able to hunt gigantic robo dinos like it was a walk in the park. It should mimic real human history and we should only be able to tackle the bigger ones if we have traps, nets and a numbers advantage.

She looked like she was no1 on the foodchain there.

This is one of my concerns. The two huge tail swipes she took from a huge hulking robot dino, looked out of place. Unless the tribes have armors, she should be broken up and killed. That said, Horizon is definitely on my list.

It's almost as if they had to create a vertical slice of gameplay to fit into a slot during a conference presentation.

Sure, that's possible, but I can only comment on what I've seen.

As you can see from my post history, this is the only game from E3 that I found interesting enough to discuss. I'm perfectly within my rights to express my hopes and fears just like everyone else. There's no need to get so defensive.

When they presented it, I pictured something like Lost Planet 2 combined with monster hunter in a more open world. So far I love the setting and the combat mechanics but it seems there won't be any co-op.

Also, be honest, were you ever scared or intimidated by the big dino in the same way as in Dark Souls or Monster hunter?

nib95

Banned
Also, be honest, were you ever scared or intimidated by the big dino in the same way as in Dark Souls or Monster hunter?

I think if I was playing, I would be lol. Especially if it was night time in the game…You'd just see those red lights it has for eyes, knowing it was massive, but not knowing exactly which dinosaur it was. Damn...

1298948751797032847.gif

I really REALLY don't want a media blowout for this game.

I want to experience it all for myself. I could go on a blackout, but I know damn well, it'll last for like two minutes.

haha

kyser73

As you can see from my post history, this is the only game from E3 that I found interesting enough to discuss. I'm perfectly within my rights to express my hopes and fears just like everyone else. There's no need to get so defensive.

When they presented it, I pictured something like Lost Planet 2 combined with monster hunter in a more open world. So far I love the setting and the combat mechanics but it seems there won't be any co-op.

I would have died half a dozen times trying to achieve that, so even playing at that level of competence intimidates me.

If I was playing It would definitely feel much more stressful. Not knowing how to tackle something that large would be enough for me to feel a bit intimidated.

Deschain

Neo Member
There are numbers. IGN said they saw numbers popping up after hits in the behind closed doors demo it's like other RPGs.

Does anyone know if coop is still in?

Edit:

They were inspired by vikings but I know people will create outrage out of this in due time.

Was there ever any official talk of coop having ever been in? That was all just speculation as it was only ever officially unveiled on Monday, so everything we've heard since then is the only official news. I've heard Herman Hulst say it's a single player only affair.

Red Hood

Banned
I think this is the game that sells me a PS4. I was already close with Bloodborne, but €400 for one game felt a little steep.

Kallor

Crafting sounds good but that "perk" sounds exactly like the type of ubisoft POINTS bullshit we see a lot of these tacked-on rpg systems doing these days. That kinda of perk should be apart of the game play automatically. Don't make this game a Ubi style rpg for the love of god GG. Hopefully other perks are a lot more interesting.

RibMan

No tutorializing = Excellent news. When open-world games start holding my hand (I'm looking at you Zelda) I instantly turn into "Mash buttons until this section is over" mode. Just make the tutorials optional and we're good to go.

Horizon sounds more exceptional with every new piece of info we get.

The press went gaga over behind closed doors demo and I want to see it so bad.

I love how GG have married their exceptional tech prowess with such an interesting world and gameplay mechanics.

Horizon E3 wall:

nl5F5LS.jpg

This pleases me greatly.

Have they talked about how the world will be set up? Is there one large, open world, or several large areas, etc+

Herman Hulst on a Gamespot stream said it's one seamless open world.

The classic "if you see it you can go there"

There's gonna be towns and stuff where you can buy stuff/get quests etc I imagine.

The game looked alright but I'm a little tired of how it seems like every game needs RPG elements. Please, just make sure they don't feel tacked on, please?

joecanada

I hope it'll sell well, but I am actually skeptical.

I'm really into it but no multiplayer or coop will cut into my time with it. Likewise it's why I ended up spending more time in borderlands than fallout, borderlands is king of coop really....
I think most games now should have at least a far cry level coop, doing side jobs but doesn't mess up story

I'm still waiting for them to confirm that there won't be constant inner monologuing going on, that's just another way of tutorialising content.

Greddleok

The constant talking from the MC in that trailer is really grating, especially as she has generic American accent #192.

"Ugh someone's angry" made me roll my eyes like 10 times.

Walpurgis

Banned
The constant talking from the MC in that trailer is really grating, especially as she has generic American accent #192.

"Ugh someone's angry" made me roll my eyes like 10 times.

I don't like it either. If she had a Scandinavian accent that would be cool but I'm sure all the focus testing they did would still result in this. I also don't understand why she is talking to the sentry robot like it's some kind of baby but maybe they have a different culture and view on these things in their world. I like the character but maybe she should take giant T-rex robots a little more seriously.

I don't like it either. If she had a Scandinavian accent that would be cool but I'm sure all the focus testing they did would still result in this. I also don't understand why she is talking to the sentry robot like it's some kind of baby but maybe they have a different culture and view on these things in their world. I like the character but maybe she should take giant T-rex robots a little more seriously.
In behind closed door look for this game, they show concept art of a city with crowded market place and there are pic of robot dogs as pets. So I guess that's just the how the world is. The robots are treated as if they're alive I guess.

valkyre

all the details we are listening are amazing really. The only thing that GG needs to do now is to confirm whether there is player choice and consequence during dialogues.

If that is also a check, then damn, put me in cryo sleep until the game releases!

Lol whut? Nothing about what we've seen sounds like destiny.

Fucking hell to everyone who's not picking up on it lol. The comment was tounge and cheek to begin with and its context was relative to the slew of failed pr and false hopes that so many bought into. Nothing to do with gameplay, genre etc. Bah, I say!! Bah!

Glad to hear the voice / talking is toned down. I felt it worked well enough and I liked the delivery for presentation context. Worked well to characterize her but I felt it would get really old, quickly. Though, the voice actress seems pretty stellar.

Yeah, I'll probably go on a media black out after some more info comes out.

Ugh, eight more hours till the stream.

Lakitu

st5fu
Everything is looking swell so far in terms of staff, graphics and content. Looks like we have a winner on our hands.

Denton

Is this an RPG (nonlinear story, choices and consequences, interactive dialogues), or is it an action game with stats ? I havent followed it too closely and from OP it us not clear.

Is this an RPG (nonlinear story, choices and consequences, interactive dialogues), or is it an action game with stats ? I havent followed it too closely and from OP it us not clear.

It will be a mix of both. They have the New Vegas writer working on the game for good reason (the story/choices I suspect) as well as some of The Witcher quest writers.

Top Bottom