• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

House of the Dragon S2 |OT| Blood for Blood, Fire to Fire (no book discussion)

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
One thing I didnt think made sense was Aemond being the first target. The entire castle was awake so they can assume aemond would be too. Did daemon think the rat catchers would have stood a chance fighting him?
The one guy wasn’t a rat catcher he was part of the city watch I believe.

Hence why he fumbled with the trap which is partly why that maid girl knew he was trouble.

The one guy wasn’t a rat catcher he was part of the city watch I believe.

Hence why he fumbled with the trap which is partly why that maid girl knew he was trouble.
Yeah but even if he was captain of the guard or whatever surely he didnt think aemond would be an easy kill. Why would you make an assassination attempt if there was a 60% failure rate.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Rewatching Season 1 in preparation for this.

Viserys tried his hardest to be a good father, husband, grandfather and brother above all else.

He died alone in a nest of vipers who were only concerned with their own self interest.

Absolutely rotten and really sad.

IntentionalPun

Yeah but even if he was captain of the guard or whatever surely he didnt think aemond would be an easy kill. Why would you make an assassination attempt if there was a 60% failure rate.
It’s all a bit silly, I think everyone watching was thinking “these guys aren’t killing Aemond”, then of course they didn’t lol

Last edited:

BadBurger

Many “Whelps”! Handle It!
It’s all a bit silly, I think everyone watching was thinking “these guys aren’t killing Aemond”, then of course they didn’t lol

I got the feeling that even Daemon knew they weren't going to get Aemond given that smirk and pregnant pause. But he figured they'd be able to do some damage.

lol that end sequence is pretty silly. No guards around at all? She didn't scream, not once? not even after they let her go?? The maid didn't alert the guards either??

but yeah, I agree that the plan to kill Aemond with only one dude is just a poorly thought out plan. It's like Daemon wanted it to fail.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
lol that end sequence is pretty silly. No guards around at all? She didn't scream, not once? not even after they let her go?? The maid didn't alert the guards either??

but yeah, I agree that the plan to kill Aemond with only one dude is just a poorly thought out plan. It's like Daemon wanted it to fail.
They went out of there way to show the guards goofing off with Aegon and Cole getting off with Alicent.
I don't think she cared too much for the boy. She seemed disinterested in what he was doing and where he was earlier when Aegon was looking for him.

Hugare

Helaena is 100% on the autism spectrum

It's been shown every time she had some screen presence, since season 1. Speaking random stuff and etc.

So her reaction made sense when you consider this

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Not a fan of how that last scene played out. I might be getting too old for this shock and awe approach to storytelling game of thrones is famous for. Last year they did this hilariously over the top scene where they cut out a baby from a woman in labor, but beheading a 4 year old while hes still alive in front of his mother is a bit too much even for me.

Not sure if George R.R Martin wrote this or if they made this up but eh. this is too over the top even for me. hilarious how they just walked in to the queens room with no one guarding it. they took 2.5 years to write this show and this is the best they could come up with? just make it consistent, have them kill a few guards or escape while people are chasing them or something. this felt way too convenient.

rogr rogr

It's been shown every time she had some screen presence, since season 1. Speaking random stuff and etc.

Exactly. Wasn't this obvious for everyone yet?

IntentionalPun

Well she’s also clearly some sort of clairvoyant.

How is this show? I loved the first few seasons of GOT, but near the end you could tell it wasn't the author's work anymore and they injected "current day" woke shit into it (same time they were doing that to the walking dead as well at that time, and how most shows post 2020 are, sadly). How prevalent is that in this new series? Like why does seeing anything about this show bring me to think "girl boss feminist' shtick that gets a pass due to attractive characters (I haven't seen the show, only GOT mind you).

Last edited:

kikkis

Gold Member
How is this show? I loved the first few seasons of GOT, but near the end you could tell it wasn't the author's work anymore and they injected "current day" woke shit into it (same time they were doing that to the walking dead as well at that time, and how most shows post 2020 are, sadly). How prevalent is that in this new series? Like why does seeing anything about this show bring me to think "girl boss feminist' shtick that gets a pass due to attractive characters (I haven't seen the show, only GOT mind you).
Its not too bad, but frankly I stopped by S1 rewatch because in premiere, queen talks about wanting to be soldier.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

When you put it like that, it makes total sense, since Vaegon the Archmaester was hinted at that as well.

Last edited:

I can totally buy that. It's just the entire sequence takes too much suspension of disbelief that kind of ruins the shock factor they were going for.

The whole sequence could've been handled better. Two dudes can just walk right into the red keep with zero difficulty. Everyone who saw them did not question their presence. The maid saw them and did nothing. The dog disappears once they got into throne room. All the time wasted with the deliberation and the actual murder was done with the door wide open. This is approaching dumb and dumber levels of writing.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
I love HotD and I am looking forward to the rest of the series. But one thing that bugs me, and maybe I'm severely late to the party on this. But, HotD has a haze..which GoT did not have. Are they doing it this way to point out that it's happening in the past? I can understand it, but I'm not a huge fan of it..

jason10mm

Gold Member
Well she’s also clearly some sort of clairvoyant.
Yeah, she is speaking in prophecy, ir some scattered version of it, not just rambling.

I don't think autism gives you precognicience. She's also horribly inbred and I think they are trying to tie her into the "Targaryen madness" as an early sufferer of whatever it is.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Daemon came off a bit limp in his confrontation with granny. Skulking in the castle scene was ridiculous. Only 8 episodes, so S2 needed tp hit the ground running, but I don't think we're there yet.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
That first episode was weaker than expected, and that whole scene at the end with the "rat hunters" was very, very dumb.

Hope it gets better, really enjoyed S1.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Well, that was an episode of TV.

I'm glad Addam and Alyn called each other "brother" about every other sentence because they sure didn't act like it :p

And Ser Cole, proving that failing upward happens in Westeros as well :p

Thaedolus

The fight and falling on your own sword ending, JFC that’s some shit

Also I didn’t realize the dead kid was Aegon’s last week. I kinda like they let you figure that out but Jesus that adds some weight

IntentionalPun

I enjoyed episode 2. The “greens” are more interesting at this point though. Feels like characters who are developing vs. some repetitive scenarios for Rhaenrya and Daemon.

But the way in which things are going poorly for both sides is so well done. Otto and Rhaenyra would be so much better off with each other for instance. Otto was right about Daemon but wrong about Rhaenyra. Everyone would still have their children if they’d let Rhaenyra be crowned.

Last edited:

BadBurger

Many “Whelps”! Handle It!
That duel was heart breaking.

The difference between Rhaenyra and Alicent are so stark. Rhaenyra comforts her son, Alicent looks like a deer in headlights when she stumbles upon Aegon mourning - and instead of soothing him seeks out more of that Criston Cole juice.

jason10mm

Gold Member
I enjoyed episode 2. The “greens” are more interesting at this point though. Feels like characters who are developing vs. some repetitive scenarios for Rhaenrya and Daemon.

But the way in which things are going poorly for both sides is so well done. Otto and Rhaenyra would be so much better off with each other for instance. Otto was right about Daemon but wrong about Rhaenyra. Everyone would still have their children if they’d let Rhaenyra be crowned.
Ehhh, HIGHLY likely a series of accidents would have befallen Aegon and Aemond at least, if not Helaena and Daeron (depending on his personality) as the whole bastard thing would have been a constant thorn in her side and Viserys' natural born male heirs would be perpetual threats since that's basically the law of the land and Daemon would probably continue to make enemies regardless of how well Rhaenyra ruled. She was basically deep-sixed as soon as she started up with Strong and Alicent was spitting out boys left and right.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
And Ser Cole, proving that failing upward happens in Westeros as well :p
lol i was thinking the same thing. The Twin Assassination Plan is peak retarded but it gets him a promotion. I think it wouldve been better if he never got in the room with Rhynerys and got caught immediately and she wouldve been forced to kill both because she couldnt trust who's who. Or if he had fallen on his sword before being mortally wounded.

Still, this was a return to form for the show. Excellent writing and even better acting. So many great scenes. This is what i loved about Season 1 of Game Of thrones. No dragons, and over the top violence, just a good old fashioned medieval character driven drama between houses.

IntentionalPun

Ehhh, HIGHLY likely a series of accidents would have befallen Aegon and Aemond at least, if not Helaena and Daeron (depending on his personality) as the whole bastard thing would have been a constant thorn in her side and Viserys' natural born male heirs would be perpetual threats since that's basically the law of the land and Daemon would probably continue to make enemies regardless of how well Rhaenyra ruled. She was basically deep-sixed as soon as she started up with Strong and Alicent was spitting out boys left and right.
They’ve gone out of their way to show Rhaenyra isn’t like that. It’s sort of one of the main themes lol

jason10mm

Gold Member
They’ve gone out of their way to show Rhaenyra isn’t like that. It’s sort of one of the main themes lol
She may not be like that (so far) but DAEMON for sure isn't, nor Lord Corlys, or lots of the other folks around her. They would endeavor to act "on her behalf" lest the realm fall into civil war later, ESPECIALLY if Aegon and Aemond keep their dragons, particularly Aemond with Vhagar, the largest and most powerful dragon in existence at the time. But Aegon II's Sunfyre was no slouch, Helaena's Dreamfyre was ridden by Princess Rhaena herself 100 years prior, and even Daeron's Tessarion, while young, was of fighting size. Those 4 were a nuclear strike force and it's doubtful that all 4 could be bought off by Rhaenyra and I bet someone would try to off them all, semi-simultaneously to avoid alerting the others.

In general though, yes, if folks just squash their personal ambitions, "know their place", and let others tell them what to do, LOT'S of bloodshed could be avoided.

IntentionalPun

She may not be like that (so far) but DAEMON for sure isn't, nor Lord Corlys, or lots of the other folks around her.
In an alternate timeline where Otto didn’t plot against Rhaenyra the entire cast of characters surrounding her would be different. Hell Aegon would be unlikely to exist since having Alicent become Queen was all a means to an end of plotting against the idea of Rhaenyra.

Even if Alicent did marry and have kids with her Dad but Otto and fam still clearly supported Rhaenyra everything would be different.

Otto ending up with nightmarish grandchildren running the realm is all his own doing and ironically his mentality of wanting peace in the realm aligns with Rhaenyras wants (as she takes after her father who Otto loved)

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member
In an alternate timeline where Otto didn’t plot against Rhaenyra the entire cast of characters surrounding her would be different. Hell Aegon would be unlikely to exist since having Alicent become Queen was all a means to an end of plotting against the idea of Rhaenyra.
Well sure, but to think a young(ish) man like Viserys would just stop trying for a male heir once his first wife died is silly. If it wasn't Alicent it probably would have been another Velaryon girl like Laena Velaryon as that family is the "go to" for Targaryens when they didn't have a sister or first cousin handy :p Had Viserys wed Laena and had a male heir then Rhaenyra would undoubtedly had been passed over as well, and wouldn't have the Velaryons as allies this time assuming she was still wed to Laenor but knocking out Strong babies.

It's pretty understandable that in a hereditary system of government there needs to be clear rules to avoid things like civil war in the first place. Viserys didn't really do much to prop Rhaenyra up once Alicent became a baby factory, he should have had his sons married off to distant parts of the realm if he was thinking clearly, and his death wasn't really a shock to anyone, plenty of time to renew the lords vows to Rhaenyra since so many had passed on after the first time.

My point is that this whole situation was of his own making. He had a dangerous, unstable brother he never dealt with, he had a proud daughter that sabotaged herself, and he had legit sons. He himself was the....eldest son of a second son (IIRC) which is why the realm passed on Rhaenys as well in a massive vote. So he shoulda seen all this coming.

taizuke

There are times when they do inject "current day" stuff but the story and characters are so good that it overshadows it IMO.

I almost swore all things GoT after the tragedy that was S8 but HotD brought me back.

Got to be honest, second episode didn't do much for me.

Story-wise it seems a bit all over the place, like unfocussed. Not enough attention is given to anything sea-snake related, or the twins, for me to care about it much.

Visually, many scenes looked like they had vaseline smeared on the outer edges of the screen. Probably a stylistic choice, but I thought it made the whole thing look like a blurry mess. On the other hand though, the dragons look really good so far, so I'll give them props for that.

Sadly, the confrontation between Rhaenyra and Daemon just didn't connect with me emotionally and I was left feeling a bit unimpressed. Seemed like it was supposed to be a big moment for the episode, but I felt nothing.

I did love every scene involving Otto Hightower and his verbal smackdown of the king, and they managed to make me hate Cole even more than I already did. They did a great job conveying what a clusterfuck this whole situation is.

The set up to the twins fight was a bit goofy to me, not only the fact that the guy can just walk right in, but also the fact that there is like 1 guard around to protect the queen. The fight itself was well done, but again they did not give those characters enough screen time for me to care much about them.

For some reason, this episode highlighted just how tame this show is compared to early Game Of Thrones. Gone is the shock value, brutal violence and explicit nudity, instead what we get is very much toned down and, somewhat generic? Not sure why, but I really felt it this episode.

With so few episodes left, they better hit the next ones out of the park.

Spyxos

Gold Member
I liked the second episode even less. The scene with the 2 twins was once again too silly. With only 6 episodes left, I would have expected a lot more to have happened.

jason10mm

Gold Member
They're in a tough spot. They have enough episodes to flesh out SOME of the enormous cast of this tale, which is why we are getting scenes of what seem to be random people but who will become critical later on, as well as the need to have scenes of people who will die so the viewer gets to know them and care when it happens.

If this was a movie they would collapse all those kids into just 2-3 each and we could get just the highlights. If they had 6 seasons or 10+ eps per season to stretch this out they could really dive into each character or at least do the "split story" technique GoT did to juggle so many plot lines but keep each ep kinda focused.

But as it is they are kinda stuck needing to pay lip service to a lot of characters necessary to give meaning to the battles (most of which they can't afford to show).

Ambitious project.

The lead up to the fight wasn't that bad. At least there are guards and the twin thing seems a little plausible. There's even the bit where he removed his helm to blend in better. It's a stupid plan no doubt but given the context of the situation (cole was just trying to save his own ass) it makes sense in that regard. What I don't like is the end where Alicent slaps Cole several times before making out. So damn cheesy.

Otto coming to realization how much he had fucked up is pretty good though.

There are too many characters on the show, Why are they introducing more?? Why do we need scenes about some black sailor and his brother? Or the guy concerned about his sick daughter? Waste of limited screen time you have.

taizuke

Which one of the twins won the fight? Erryk or Arryk (team green)? I have to rewatch the fight but i get the feeling it was Arryk. I know he says something along the lines "forgive me, your grace" before killing himself leading me to believe it was Erryk. But, during the fight i believe Erryk gets injured in the leg and i think that's the one who dies first. So, if it was Arryk who won then why apologize to Rhaenyra? I like to believe that killing his brother may have made him realize his error in supporting Aegon and that's why he apologises.

HoodWinked

Which one of the twins won the fight? Erryk or Arryk (team green)? I have to rewatch the fight but i get the feeling it was Arryk. I know he says something along the lines "forgive me, your grace" before killing himself leading me to believe it was Erryk. But, during the fight i believe Erryk gets injured in the leg and i think that's the one who dies first. So, if it was Arryk who won then why apologize to Rhaenyra? I like to believe that killing his brother may have made him realize his error in supporting Aegon and that's why he apologises.

feel like you're overthinking it, the dialog is consistent with Erryk falling on the sword. Also matches the order they die in the book. But ya superficially they deliberately shoot it to be ambiguous to drive engagement.

checkpoint to scene bts

cormack12

Gold Member
That was my take, I was using the leg wound too. I thought it was specifically done for that reason, so we could track them in the fight

jason10mm

Gold Member
That was my take, I was using the leg wound too. I thought it was specifically done for that reason, so we could track them in the fight
If it was Arryk he knew the jig was up because the other knight wouldn't let him get close.

Thank god we were spared some contrived scene with Rhaenyra saying "kill him anyway, we'll NEVER KNOW which twin it is" as if a few simple questions wouldn't be enough to determine which twin it was.

Top Bottom