• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

House Oversight panel: "No evidence" that Flynn complied with law in Russia dealings

Status
Not open for further replies.

RPGCrazied

Bradd Jaffy‏Verified account
@BraddJaffy

Chaffetz says it appears Mike Flynn took money from Russia: ”it was inappropriate, and there are repercussions for the violation of law"

This coming from someone like Chafftetz is pretty damning, now lets see what actually happens.

Surfinn

I'm also very surprised if Finn gets anything more than stern talking to about how he did naughty thing. Maybe fine and some home arrest for little while, but nothing that would register as hard time.

I just don't trust anything to come out of this.

The house oversight panel confirmed that he broke the law though. If it weren't a big deal, why did the WH initially try to withhold evidence?

I meant to have another not before that.

"So not nothing is going to come from this."

Lol

Haha nice

Tovarisc

Flynn’s Turkish lobbying linked to Russia

The former national security adviser’s client had business dealings in Russia and worked with an executive in Russian oil companies on Turkish lobbying projects.

The Turkish man who gave Mike Flynn a $600,000 lobbying deal just before President Donald Trump picked him to be national security adviser has business ties to Russia, including a 2009 aviation financing deal negotiated with Vladimir Putin, according to court records.

The man, Ekim Alptekin, has in recent years helped to coordinate Turkish lobbying in Washington with Dmitri “David” Zaikin, a Soviet-born former executive in Russian energy and mining companies who also has had dealings with Putin’s government, according to three people with direct knowledge of the activities.

Flynn’s lawyer, Robert Kelner, declined to comment. In a filing with the Justice Department, Flynn said he relied on assurances from Alptekin that he was not directly or indirectly funded by a foreign government. But shifting explanations and a web of business ties raise questions about the arrangement.

Flynn has offered evolving accounts of his lobbying work for Alptekin. In September, Flynn reported his client as a Dutch shell company owned by Alptekin. After being forced to leave the White House — reportedly because he lied to Vice President Mike Pence about his conversations during the transition with the Russian ambassador — Flynn filed new paperwork in March acknowledging that his lobbying work “principally benefitted” the Turkish government.

The revelation of Russian business ties to the man who hired Flynn — which has not been previously reported — threatens to complicate the White House’s struggle to escape the shadow of the FBI investigation into whether members of the Trump campaign coordinated with Russian agents.

and a lot more at http://www.politico.com/story/2017/04/25/michael-flynn-turkey-russia-237550

Flynn’s Turkish lobbying linked to Russia

The former national security adviser’s client had business dealings in Russia and worked with an executive in Russian oil companies on Turkish lobbying projects.

The Turkish man who gave Mike Flynn a $600,000 lobbying deal just before President Donald Trump picked him to be national security adviser has business ties to Russia, including a 2009 aviation financing deal negotiated with Vladimir Putin, according to court records.

and a lot more at http://www.politico.com/story/2017/04/25/michael-flynn-turkey-russia-237550

Ohahahahhaaaha

Tovarisc

Statement from Mike Flynn's lawyer
C-RzA9iXcAAVgFt.jpg

https://twitter.com/BraddJaffy/status/856936296241037313

OP, what the hell with that thread title? The CNN article title is "House oversight committee: Flynn might have broken the law", the NY Times title is "Flynn May Have Broken Law by Not Disclosing Russia Dealings, Lawmakers Say". My grad PI would have had a stroke reading how you worded that. It's not even an actual quote!

But did they ask about money? And what was on the official forms?

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
The house oversight panel confirmed that he broke the law though. If it weren't a big deal, why did the WH initially try to withhold evidence?

Haha nice

They are still withholding evidence.

OP, what the hell with that thread title? The CNN article title is "House oversight committee: Flynn might have broken the law", the NY Times title is "Flynn May Have Broken Law by Not Disclosing Russia Dealings, Lawmakers Say". My grad PI would have had a stroke reading how you worded that.

It's a reflection of Chaffetz' bizarre mealy mouthed phrasing. I did get a bit of a stroke tho. But it's an accurate portrayal of another layer of BS from the house.

Surfinn

They are still withholding evidence.

It's a reflection of Chaffetz' bizarre mealy mouthed phrasing. I did get a bit of a stroke tho. But it's an accurate portrayal of another layer of BS from the house.

I thought they finally gave it up?

Jesus. How can they just blatantly withhold evidence like this?

rambis

Banned
This was always assumed after he recently applied to become a foreign agent after the fact. Whats more pressing regarding Flynn is his possible Logan Act violation.

DOWN

Banned
OP, what the hell with that thread title? The CNN article title is "House oversight committee: Flynn might have broken the law", the NY Times title is "Flynn May Have Broken Law by Not Disclosing Russia Dealings, Lawmakers Say". My grad PI would have had a stroke reading how you worded that. It's not even an actual quote!

That's how the news alert was worded and is similar to the headline at the time I posted the thread. It mirrors what Chaffetz said.

RPGCrazied

Flynn was NSA for a week. How many calls could he have made in that time? You can fork over those calls, its not a lot. Jesus.

Mattenth

Let me rephrase: are you all seriously expecting the Trump administration to charge former officials within its own administration?

They're already withholding documents relating to Flynn that would prove he violated the law from Congress. It seems reasonable to think they'd also withhold those documents from the court.

I absolutely think Flynn should be charged, but I'm having trouble seeing a path in which that actually happens.

BlitzKeeg

Let me rephrase: are you all seriously expecting the Trump administration to charge former officials within its own administration?

They're already withholding documents relating to Flynn that would prove he violated the law from Congress. It seems reasonable to think they'd also withhold those documents from the court.

I absolutely think Flynn should be charged, but I'm having trouble seeing a path in which that actually happens.

How I see it happening is that the intelligence committee continues its investigation over the next several months and releases whatever dirt they can find on the Trump admin after the 2018 elections. I'm sure they can get more serious stuff then the House committee.

After that point Trump will have either done so little, or done nothing but fuck up the country and democrats will have the majority in congress again. Then the impeachment process starts.

We all no the republicans won't try to impeach Trump because they're party over country. Apparently even when it comes to treason.

So did he or did he not break the law. It's a fairly straight forward question. Did he break the law? If he did what evidence is there that he did? If he didn't break the law, okay. What procedures did he follow that had him in step with the law?

That's how the news alert was worded and is similar to the headline at the time I posted the thread. It mirrors what Chaffetz said.

My apologies, having watched the NBC video, it appears he did actually say that at the end.

So did he or did he not break the law. It's a fairly straight forward question. Did he break the law? If he did what evidence is there that he did? If he didn't break the law, okay. What procedures did he follow that had him in step with the law?

When asked straight up by the press if Flynn broke the law, Chaffetz said "There is no evidence that he didn't". Chaffetz is arguing that Flynn never sought permission from the Secretary of State or the Army for his foreign ventures, which is in violation of the law.

My apologies, having watched the NBC video, it appears he did actually say that at the end.

When asked straight up by the press if Flynn broke the law, Chaffetz said "There is no evidence that he didn't". Chaffetz is arguing that Flynn never sought permission from the Secretary of State or the Army for his foreign ventures, which is in violation of the law.

I will give Chaffetz a little credit here. He is doing an active investigation. It's not appropriate for him to just drop a verdict to a reporter. He actually pushed his rhetoric pretty far as it is. It was definitely a calculated shot across the White House's bow. He is asking the White House for more information while simultaneously saying that without more information Flynn is toast. It's a pretty tidy little threat, really.

Of course, the White House is so feckless and incompetent that Chaffetz's pressure will have little to no effect.

akira28

"after months of investigation, we have found no evidence that he followed the law. we are now debating on if any specific action should be taken"

some guys have all the luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom