• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How Actors and Filmmakers Cope with Enacting Rape on Screen - LA Weekly

An insightful discussion from various perspectives on the impact of rape-simulation in film:

MacNair is blond-haired and blue-eyed, with an easy smile that could convince you to sign a petition. She's also a reluctant expert in staging sexual assaults on television and film. An independent pro wrestler (character name: Fire!) and trained actor, MacNair made her way to L.A. to work as a stunt double in comedies. She loves Buster Keaton–esque physical comedy, "almost Three Stooges with seltzer water" stuff, she says, but she rarely gets that kind of work. Shortly after she got to Hollywood, she was introduced to the macabre career of rape choreography by a male mentor who abruptly quit coordinating fights, because she says "he found himself exclusively choreographing rape scenes." The intensity took its toll on him.

MacNair might prefer to be working on Disney and kids projects, but a job's a job, and men still get the best stunt-doubling gigs (even for female characters). So she picks up the phone when producers call with a potential scene. She has continued to pick it up — rape scenes are everywhere. MacNair is grateful, always positive, ready to do what's asked of her. At the same time, she — and others — hope the industry might stop to consider the toll of the number of rapes it depicts on screen.

While narratives of sexual assault are nothing new — everything from early Old West films to the various Renaissance-era depictions of The Rape of the Sabine Women and Japan's 19th-century ukiyo-e prints (an art form that influenced anime today) depicts gendered violence — these storylines have become particularly common in film and TV lately. In the last few years, there's a laundry list of media involving rape: The Handmaid's Tale, Westworld, The Magicians, The Revenant, The Salesman, The Birth of a Nation, Nocturnal Animals, The Innocents, Don't Breathe, Palo Alto, Jamestown, Room and even Your Highness. The list goes on and on. Some of the rape storylines tell us something new and pertinent, such as Paul Verhoeven's film Elle, in which sexual assault is a defining moment that is the central core of the narrative. Some do not, like Game of Thrones, which — like the 1970s Italian giallo shock films — seems to use rape as a way to get naked women (and men) on screen.]

This feels particularly unfortunate:

Billy Jack (1971), Death Wish (1974), The Last House on the Left (1972) and A Clockwork Orange (1971) all featured their own brutal rape scenes, the latter driving away at least one actress who called the filming "too humiliating." For the press of Alejandro Jodorowsky's El Topo (1970), the director-star even claimed that in filming his rape scene, he "really raped" his co-star, Mara Lorenzio, who was also the victim of rape in real life. You might take his claim with a grain of salt as another of Jodorowsky's hype experiments. Still, that a director would brag about raping his co-star to publicize a film is mind-boggling. That critics don't seem to care is worse.

On portraying rapists in film:

On set, male cast and crew members probably are more affected by the production of rape scenes than one would expect. When filming Jodie Foster's gang-rape scene for The Accused (1988), Foster said that the mostly male crew became insomniacs and lost weight, stressed out over the four-day shoot. Foster cried so hard in the scenes that she popped blood vessels around her eyes but quickly eased into an upbeat attitude afterward. "At night, I'd watch the dailies of the rape scene and make jokes," she told Vanity Fair. The men? Their recovery was not so quick. Witnessing a rape over and over, as the production crew and editors have to do, takes its toll.

http://www.laweekly.com/film/how-actors-and-filmmakers-cope-with-enacting-rape-on-screen-8415330

Volimar

Honestly, with the fetishization of rape scenes today, it would give me a lot of pause if I had to take part in a graphic rape scene. Maybe you just have to tell yourself that you can't control what people do with the footage and just concentrate on giving your best performance.

Edit: Fuck that Game of Thrones diss. How many rape scenes has the series shown? Most of them don't even show nudity let alone the graphic nature that a lot of films pursue. And they have no problem at all showing naked women without looking for rape as a reason.

snacknuts

we all knew her
Nothing makes me more squeamish when watching a movie than rape scenes. Like, I haven't even read this article yet because the idea of it makes me uncomfortable.

Honestly, with the fetishization of rape scenes today, it would give me a lot of pause if I had to take part in a graphic rape scene. Maybe you just have to tell yourself that you can't control what people do with the footage and just concentrate on giving your best performance.

Based on the vision the article gives, it doesn't appear like there's a big line-up to do rape scenes among actors. The article down the line goes into how actors cope with playing rapists, and the shit sounds pretty fucked up. Watching movies now, a director better have a damn good reason to put their performers through this.

Wait

There was a rape scene in Your Highness?

Like, the James Franco comedy?

I think the implication isn't a rape scene, but a scene dealing heavily with rape/implied rape. They list "Don't Breathe", but technically there isn't an actual depiction of rape in it.

Shaanyboi

Banned
Had to do a scene once where my character attempts to sexually assault his former prostitute ex-gf. I remember feeling disgusting for hours every time we rehearsed it.

Fuchsdh

One would imagine the number of rape scenes only further heightens the perception of a rape epidemic.

This:

men still get the best stunt-doubling gigs (even for female characters).

Is pretty surprising.

I'm surprised the article doesn't bring up sexual assault with child actors, which has always seemed particularly skeevy. But the article also doesn't really actually elucidate what these people mean by "lazy" rape scenes versus ones "with purpose". The details about some of the production crew suffering from filming and editing was interesting, though, and not usually something that gets talked about.

I think the implication isn't a rape scene, but a scene dealing heavily with rape/implied rape. They list "Don't Breathe", but technically there isn't an actual depiction of rape in it.

Not a depiction, although that could be argued with that one scene, but the character Lang plays is a rapist.

Kinyou

This:

Is pretty surprising.
There's that scene in Avengers where Scarlett Johansson seems to transform into carrot top

V9FjP.gif

Edit: Fuck that Game of Thrones diss. How many rape scenes has the series shown? Most of them don't even show nudity let alone the graphic nature that a lot of films pursue. And they have no problem at all showing naked women without looking for rape as a reason.

Yeah there is alot of implied rape. But rarely actual rape. And when it is shown it's taken very seriously and disturbing as it should be.

Fuck that Game of Thrones diss. How many rape scenes has the series shown? Most of them don't even show nudity let alone the graphic nature that a lot of films pursue. And they have no problem at all showing naked women without looking for rape as a reason.

It's a lame cheapshot. There's a good argument to be made concerning GOT and nudity, and GOT and sexual violence, but rape in GOT is one of the few places where GOT restrains itself RE: nudity.

Pretty much. The scene implies a rape is coming before veering into a different direction.

Rape can also be a woman getting manhandled and groped against their will. It's not just penetration. In Akira when Kaori is getting her shirt ripped off by the biker gang that's rape.

Edit: I forgot to say this also applies to a man.

I'm surprised the article doesn't bring up sexual assault with child actors, which has always seemed particularly skeevy. But the article also doesn't really actually elucidate what these people mean by "lazy" rape scenes versus ones "with purpose". The details about some of the production crew suffering from filming and editing was interesting, though, and not usually something that gets talked about.

It's not the best discussion on the merits of a good art and rape, but it does an excellent, if incomplete, job of examining the various people impacted when charged with filming rape.

I confess to my thoughts having wondered about stuff like this before. Like, this stuff is uncomfortable enough to watch, but to have to actually make it? Put one's self in that position of being victim or assaulter, again and again? You can say it's acting, but I imagine it's one of those subjects that, even if it's faked, can be disturbing as to simply touch on the borderlines of it.

A: "We need something bad to happen to our female character. Something she has to overcome."

B: "Rape?"

A: "Well, I guess I mean something like that, yeah, but it doesn't have to be rape. I gotta get out of here, but try to brainstorm some other ideas for this story."

(A leaves room)

B: "Soo.... everyone okay with just using rape and calling it a day?"

Group: "Yeah."

Carlius

Banned
i remember when borat got an nc17 rating and last house on the left, which has one of the worst rape scenes in modern cinema got rated r? yup.

also irreversible yes. man that shit was fucked.

I remember watching the making of Fincher's Dragon Tattoo and the actor that had to simulate the rape of Rooney Mara's character would break down and cry after a day's shooting.

Shredderi

I can't really stomach rape scenes. I actively avoid all films that have them and I don't really rewatch the ones I've seen with them in it. Makes me mad uncomfortable. My main motivation for watching movies/tv is for entertainment and rape scenes just leave such a bad taste in my mouth that I'd rather not watch them.

Related subject, for those of you who have seen Rick and Morty:
Did the Jellybean attempted rape scene disturb anybody else? I rewatched that episode the other day and I felt a little weird about it.

5taquitos

Did the Jellybean attempted rape scene disturb anybody else? I rewatched that episode the other day and I felt a little weird about it.
Yes, it made me uncomfortable, but that was part of its brilliance. It's hard to explain what makes it work in that sense, likely because it's a cartoon and a jellybean.

FyreWulff

rape as part of a character's backstory or as a plot device is one of the most creatively bankruptc and lazy methods of storytelling known to humanity.

I'm unable to stomach rape scenes usually. The last one I tried to sit through was one of the two in 13 Reasons Why. Once the character started to disassociate, I was out.

Just...meh.

Wood Man

Yes. That was a really weird scene. Part of me wanted to laugh but it was way too dark.

Media

I remember reading about how the infamous Seeing Red AR scene affected SMG and James Marsters during Buffy. Apparently it broke James rather hard and he couldn't even touch her for a long time after wards. Damn scene nearly broke me, I can't imagine how the actors and crew felt.

Another thing that bugged me: In Watchmen, everyone walked complaining about how traumatized they were by a big blue penis, and not the graphic rape scene.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.

it would be VERY WEIRD if you didnt feel unconfortable about it. Rick and Morty is a fucked up show, its not just "ha ha we so funny".

I usually don't get uncomfortable with movies that show graphic things, but that shit was just vile.

It's certainly hard to watch, but that's how you need to film rape scenes, or else you end up unwillingly (or willingly) eroticizing the rape.

That rape scene in the Jodie Foster movie, for example. When I was in film school, our teacher brought up that movie one time. He said that at some point after the film's release, some sociologists conducted an experiment on men who were watching rape scenes from movies. The men all had "wires" taped to them so machines could interpret their brainwaves and overall body reactions. When watching the rape scene from the Jody Foster movie, every man was aroused.

There are only three rape scenes I can recall that were well-done, in my book. The one from Irréversible, the one from Mourir à tue-tête, and the Sansa rape scene from Game of Thrones.

Don't even get me started on the rape scenes from shitty 70s movies like Deathwish. Christ. Those were super eroticized. And super racist.

Top Bottom