• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How Actors and Filmmakers Cope with Enacting Rape on Screen - LA Weekly

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
There's a long, graphic, very Steve McQueen ( meaning cold, almost docu)) rape scene in 12 years a slave and yep, it's as horrifying as you think

FyreWulff

I remember reading about how the infamous Seeing Red AR scene affected SMG and James Marsters during Buffy. Apparently it broke James rather hard and he couldn't even touch her for a long time after wards. Damn scene nearly broke me, I can't imagine how the actors and crew felt.

Another thing that bugged me: In Watchmen, everyone walked complaining about how traumatized they were by a big blue penis, and not the graphic rape scene.

I couldn't finish MGS Ground Zeroes because they put a goddamn rape scene in the audio tapes out of nowhere.

They do play it unexpectedly straight instead of as a cheap gag.

Yeah, I think that's it... like for instance Bojack Horseman gets really dark and depressing but they kind of ease into it to because sadness is kind of the milieu of the show. It's what the show is "about."

In R&M, and with how bizarre the characters and environment were, I was expecting them to twist it into something funny but then they don't. And I'm glad they didn't, but I just remember getting real whiplash from that part. I'm not saying it didn't work -- I just was realizing I recommend the show to a lot of people, saying how hilarious it is, and rewatching it I wondered how other people took that scene.

Thanks for the opinions, people :)

zeemumu

I remember reading that for the scene with Khal Drogo rape scene in GoT, Jason Momoa put a pink modesty sock over his dick.

I remember reading that for the scene with Khal Drogo rape scene in GoT, Jason Momoa put a pink modesty sock over his dick.

Just another one of those "there's not enough rape in the books so let's add it in here too" moments for the GoT show. Really disturbing.

Related subject, for those of you who have seen Rick and Morty:
Did the Jellybean attempted rape scene disturb anybody else? I rewatched that episode the other day and I felt a little weird about it.
This is what the writer had to say in regards to that scene:
I want to clear something up in regards to the controversial Jellybean bathroom scene. Everyone assumes that King Jellybean was attempting to sexually assault Morty by penetrating him with his genitalia which explains why the reactions to it have been so strong. However, King Jellybean has no genitalia. What he was trying to do was force Morty to lick the outer surface of his jellybean body where thousands of nerve endings are concentrated. Yes, he would have derived a tremendous amount of pleasure from it, but so would Morty because of the incredible flavor. King Jellybean had become addicted to the high he received from the enzymes entering his blood stream through alien saliva. Unfortunately, the high for him became weaker and weaker with repeated engagements of the same species, so he was constantly on the look out for new ones. That's why he spent time in places like the Thirsty Stair where a diverse multitude of inter dimensional beings congregated. Morty was his first human, so he was especially aggressive with him. To Jellybean, Morty was more like a big walking crack rock than an object of sexual desire and he was desperate for a hit. Over the years, the repeated inter-species body licking caused the depletion of a key chemical in the jellybean body resulting in a loss of color which is why King Jellybean was that grayish shade instead of a normal colorful jellybean hue. This is similar to what users of MDMA experience with depleted levels of serotonin.

Now, I'm not saying what Jellybean did wasn't wrong. He was an addict, plain and simple, and his behavior had become increasingly erratic and violent. However, we shouldn't make assumptions based on circumstantial evidence about who he was or the nature of his actions. For example, assuming that King Jellybean was a sexual predator because of his behavior in the bathroom towards Morty, the statue depicting him with a young boy, the box of photographs, etc. I'm sure everyone imagined the worst was in those pictures, but what we don't know is if the things that shock the people of Jellybean's kingdom are the same things that would shock us. Those could have been pictures of celery for all we know and the possession of pictures of celery may be illegal there. It's cultural bias. Jellybean was a good leader who needed a release from the pressures of his position and he lost control. Perhaps fans from the Toronto area can relate.

I hope this explanation helps understand the scene better and makes it less traumatizing to our viewers. Thank you.
Idk if I buy the explanation. It played out like a rape scene.

gatling

Just another one of those "there's not enough rape in the books so let's add it in here too" moments for the GoT show. Really disturbing.

Yeah, this actually really made me pause at the directors and show writers. Well, the first time anyway, heh. I didn't read that part in the book as a textbook rape as it was written. Outside of the hesitancy of her character and the whole marriage arrangement, the show totally stripped important dimensions away from both characters and their interaction as depicted in the novel.

Poldark books vs show did this as well.

T

Transhuman

Unconfirmed Member
In the movie Perfect Blue, the actress protagonist is in a rape scene scene and it captures some of the strangeness of having to film a rape scene. It's pretty fucked.

Top Bottom