• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How to brick an Xbone in six easy steps.

Wait, how is this weeding anyone out?
It isn't. This is just people justifying being dicks.

This is literally why we can't have nice things. Because there are plenty of people who get their rocks off of other people being manipulated or screwed over.

And then they come to forums and social networks to gloat.

I dunno. Seems fucking insane to me, but that's some kind of internet normal.

Why do I have a "not finished vibe with the Xbone ?

original.jpg

Starviper

This is literally why we can't have nice things. Because there are plenty of people who get their rocks off of other people being manipulated or screwed over.

Pretty standard 4chan activity. You apparently haven't gone too far in the rabbit hole we call 'the internet'.

Pretty standard 4chan activity. You apparently haven't gone too far in the rabbit hole we call 'the internet'.
Oh believe me, you'd be surprised at just how nestled I am within these dark dungeons and tubes. I walk with my eyes wide open.

Doesn't mean people should get a pass or a pat on the back for being reckless shitheads. It'd be a better world if we marginalized those folks, yeah, even online.

This thread title is good start for us here, but I'm trying to hope the people who want this to spread are just joking.

Jawmuncher

Why do I have a "not finished vibe with the Xbone ?

Yeah between this and the grammar on some of those error screens. MS really was pushing full sail to get it out of the door. Thankfully the stuff they hurried on can more than likely be fixed via patch. But regardless should've been fixed from the get go.

jay

What's so insane about trying to weed out the weak, slow, and dumb so that we can build a utopian future where only the best of the new race of super humans survives?

I don't understand this line of reasoning. I guess I should never be shocked or upset by anything again in life because slavery, the holocaust, and nuclear war happened.

Ichabod

Banned
"Xbox: off."
"Xbox:eek:n."
"Xbox: stop rebooting."
"Xbox: don't reboot."
"Xbox: Stop, ergh, don't..."
"Xbox: QUIT REBOOTING GODDAMMIT!!!"

tsumineko

Holy shit. So any moron could go up to his "friends" Xbone and brick it with a few simple menu selections? How in the hell was this shipped like that??

edit: Wait... why is Major Nelson in here blaming the consumer for this fuck up?? This is unbelievable...

Fearing for the future of humanity is more like it

Holy shit. So any moron could go up to his "friends" Xbone and brick it with a few simple menu selections? How in the hell was this shipped like that??

edit: Wait... why is Major Nelson in here blaming the consumer for this fuck up?? This is unbelievable...

Oh shut up. At no point did he blame the consumer for any of this. Just expressing disappointment that people would just blindly try this without researching it or using common sense.

CCIE

Banned
Originally Posted by CCIE
Actually, I believe anyone gullible enough to try this deserves what they get. Sometimes, you just have to weed out the morons or society cannot thrive.
Seriously? You sound like a sociopath.

Called common sense. Unfortunately many people lack it. I'm sure the teenager who bought an Xbox photo on eBay would try this

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
This is why there needs to be a factory reset function that you can get to without going into settings.

tsumineko

Yes, he totally said, "Man, it is totally our customers fault that the ability to do this was not protected."

Some people just read what the fuck they want to hear into anything fucking thing they want I guess.

No, he said he was "fearing for the future of humanity" because he has to "tell people this is a bad idea". That "bad idea" is executing a command they chose to leave in the software of their consumer product. I don't believe I have misquoted anyone.

Read into it what you will, I however will look at it how it actually is. Apparently people should not have to be informed about executing a command that Microsoft has left in the software of their system. It's up to the consumer to assume it will destroy their console.

Lazaro

That devkit menu layout looks just like the Android developer options,

In Original Xbox days, pressing random buttons brought up cool Easter eggs.

Like someone said before , that remembers me the Scale App for ipad.... :

SomeassholetoldmeIcouldusemyipadtoweighmyself.jpg

http://www.landcruiserclub.net/forums/showthread.php/43971-fake-iPad-app

tumblr_l1ntjdDJGN1qzl9k0o1_500.jpg

AtQ0VZk.jpg

Let's put aside the fact that there were people dumb enough to actually believe this. How much did these people weigh to shatter their screens THAT bad? I have a broken iPad 1 and I stood on the screen my no shoes on just to see if it would break that badly. I weigh 190 pounds and didn't do anything to the screen. Did they have boots on and jumped onto it from a table?

Klocker

Maybe "fearing for humanity" comment refers to the lack of humanity in people who enjoy making others suffer for being a bit gullible or naive.

its sad that someone actually tried to make an official document just to fuck with people

tsumineko

Maybe "fearing for humanity" comment refers to the lack of humanity in people who enjoy making others suffer for being a bit gullible or naive.

its sad that someone actually tried to make an official document just to fuck with people

That's possible, I hope so.

notBald

Let's put aside the fact that there were people dumb enough to actually believe this. How much did these people weigh to shatter their screens THAT bad? I have a broken iPad 1 and I stood on the screen my no shoes on just to see if it would break that badly. I weigh 190 pounds and didn't do anything to the screen. Did they have boots on and jumped onto it from a table?

I was wondering the same thing, but perhaps the screen had fractures already. My toddler nephew dropped an ipad 2 from toddler height, and the screen broke. I've dropped an iPad 4 once from my height, and dropped a Nokia Lumia with the same glass type several times, without any damage.

Chaeotic

Neo Member
Well, some people fell for iOS7 making your iPhone waterproof. The bar is pretty low.

Now this scares me - do we really live in a world with some people so far behind with knowledge of technology?

I mean, to some degree it is understandable, but making a phone waterproof?

I'm pretty sure MS can fix this easily for their costumers... However being able to activate devkit mode that easily... wow. With a little knowledge of how the tools work (you need the SDK but I'm sure you could get it from Microsoft's FTP servers) I don't even want to know how quickly this could go really bad :p

Top Bottom