• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How's Arizona Bros

Coconutt

So my job is closing there office in the state I live in but they are offering to reimburse the cost of you moving to Phoenix, AZ plus a 5k bonus for working in Arizona for a year. I'm really tempted to take them up on their offer but was curious what life is like in Arizona. Thought I should add I do not currently own a home, I currently live in Reno, Nevada where it seems rent prices are similar. Not many friends and no family where I currently live.

If I choose to not move my job will provide a severance package worth 8 weeks of work so either way seems like a win win situation for me.

Last edited:

TransTrender

Gold Member
Look at the market and compare a shitty rental apartment against the total cost of ownership of a condo/house. If you can upgrade with both housing and utility costs for the same income, then consider it.
Also maybe look at car and home insurance as is may be crazy.

kunonabi

It is a dry heat.
Which means jack it's still hell.

During the off seasons it's very comfortable though. Aside from the heat and dust storms it is a pretty nice place. People do drive like maniacs though. They put in some pretty handy public transportation too.

Mossybrew

Phoenix is a sun baked shithole, a forsaken hellscape of endless suburbs and strip malls, neighborhood yards full of rocks instead of grass, but no one cares because the fucked up people who live there scuttle from one air conditioned interior oasis to the next. The only happy residents are the old fucks who know they will die before the place becomes truly uninhabitable by human life.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Life's an adventure, I say go for it.

By most metrics I've seen, Reno is a more expensive place to live than Phoenix anyway - so if you're not taking a pay cut for the gig, you're starting out ahead. The fact that your employer will help with your relocation expenses (and give you a bonus) is also a great way to move. Since you wouldn't be moving away from family, that's a plus too.

If you're single and have no other attachments to the area, I'd say go for it. In fact, the future Mr or Mrs Coconutt Coconutt might be waiting for you in Phoenix somewhere.

TransTrender

Gold Member
Hope you’re trolling. Aside from it being hot, none of those are true or real concerns.
Those were my impressions the last time I was there in the later part of 2022
Je2jlIQ.png

diffusionx

Gold Member
I once got verrrrrry close to getting hired by a company in Scottsdale and I was absolutely ready to pack up and move. Sometimes I wonder about the alternate universe where I did get that job.

SoloCamo

Personally, I'd take 115-120 (46.1-48.8C) degrees and minimal humidity over the 99 (37.2C) degrees with 82% humidity I'm currently dealing with. I can tolerate being hot as hell. Being hot as hell while feeling like I'm being suffocated with a wet blanket is so much worse.

Shade can always help you hide from the hot sun but it will never change the humidity.

Last edited:

Vyse

Gold Member
I once got verrrrrry close to getting hired by a company in Scottsdale and I was absolutely ready to pack up and move. Sometimes I wonder about the alternate universe where I did get that job.
Scottsdale is really nice. I live in Vegas and have responsibility for AZ. Housing market is crazy, so renting is a good option right now.

Like Vegas, 3 months (Jun-Aug) is really hot. Workout in the mornings and stay indoors most of the time.

Big thing I have always done is negotiate covered parking with my employer.

I say go for it. Lot of cool plays to visit, Flagstaff and Sedona are places I like to go to.

It's true that people drive like crazy people. Watch yourself on freeways and double-check before going if you're first in line at a stop light. You might get honked at, but fuck 'em, better safe than sorry. The dry heat thing is real, I sat on my porch in the shade for an hour the other day in 105 degree weather and was comfortable. November through March is paradise weather-wise, the tradeoff being that it gets really crowded. Now it's hot but no one is around, which is nice. The landscape, physically speaking, at times reminds me of the surface of Mars. We have some Monument Valley-type rock formations nearby, too, which is always cool to see. Electric bill is pretty bad this time of year but I like the house cold.

Do I particularly like it here, not really, but it'll do for now.

Raven117

Gold Member
If anything you are parched and dried out like a raisin in places like AZ. Here in FL it gets hot, but the swampy, humid weather makes it way worse. You can't cool off in it.
This. Mother of gawd you can’t escape the smothering hot humidity.

Dry heat… it’s somewhat easier to manage. Humidity is more invasive.

Lunarorbit

If its a year in Phoenix go for it. Any longer and I wouldn't

Lived in Tucson in 2004. Really liked it. No humidity but it's hot. But honestly the sun isn't as intense as say denver. It's hotter than denver but it doesn't feel.like your skin is melting off.

I don't like Phoenix or any of the other suburbs around it. Traffic like Houston but not as much fun

SpiceRacz

Great place to live. Almost always sunny out. No natural disasters. Tons of job opportunities if you decide to leave your current job and stay in Phx. A lot of people moved here during the pandemic and that drove up the housing market. The positive is lots of new businesses are moving here. Like Taiwan SemiConductor Manufacturing. Intel has a huge plant out here too. Traffic can suck sometimes, but we have a great freeway system and they're expanding it even further. We're on a grid system, so it's easy to navigate. If you're into the outdoors, there's tons of great hiking in and outside of the city. There's several lakes for kayaking, fishing, and whatever else. If you're not into that, the night life is great - Scottsdale, Gilbert, Chandler, Phoenix, Tempe, etc. all have downtown areas with plenty of bars, including lots of breweries. I say go for it.

Coconutt

Great place to live. Almost always sunny out. No natural disasters. Tons of job opportunities if you decide to leave your current job and stay in Phx. A lot of people moved here during the pandemic and that drove up the housing market. The positive is lots of new businesses are moving here. Like Taiwan SemiConductor Manufacturing. Intel has a huge plant out here too. Traffic can suck sometimes, but we have a great freeway system and they're expanding it even further. We're on a grid system, so it's easy to navigate. If you're into the outdoors, there's tons of great hiking in and outside of the city. There's several lakes for kayaking, fishing, and whatever else. If you're not into that, the night life is great - Scottsdale, Gilbert, Chandler, Phoenix, Tempe, etc. all have downtown areas with plenty of bars, including lots of breweries. I say go for it.
Which city do you recommend? Like top 2.

SpiceRacz

Which city do you recommend? Like top 2.

Phoenix Metro area is all of those cities combined with Phx. There's no separation between them. I'd recommend Tempe especially and Gilbert. You can drive in any direction from Tempe to those cities and get there relatively quick, like 10 minutes away. Another advantage - Rideshares are available everywhere. Unless you're way the fuck out there. Even then, you can probably still get an Uber/Lyft.

Another thing I forget to mention, Phoenix has a lot of music venues. Just about any band/singer you can think of rolls through here.

Top Bottom