• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC Vive and SteamVR hands-on impressions

Alexlf

Obviously I'm kidding about putting my Vita in a box but since I've never demoed VR, no, I'm not. I don't get what's special or different yet.

You've probably seen the word "presence" being thrown around these topics quite a bit, and that's exactly what it offers.

All the features, head tracking, wide fov display, positional audio, etc run together enough that it tricks your brain into thinking you are actually "there", inside the game.

It feels unnerving when you first hold up your hands and don't see them lol.

People have been comparing it to the holodeck from Star Trek, and while it's obviously doesn't go that far, it certainly evokes a similar idea of "being there" that VR does give you.

If you have the chance, try and line up a demo. You won't regret it.

jediyoshi

Obviously I'm kidding about putting my Vita in a box but since I've never demoed VR, no, I'm not. I don't get what's special or different yet.

You mean if you literally had a Vita display up to your eyes? The screen isn't conforming to you and there would be no lenses, so it'd be a distorted 2D image that you could still make out the boundaries of instead of 3D and wrapping around your peripheral vision. Nothing would spatially be tracking you, so, assuming the gyro could possibly catch up to head movements, your view would still just pivot from a single point.

Nzyme32

I think Carmack puts it well, when it is done right "it is like religion on contact". The sensation of existing / being transported in a completely different space, that is not separable from reality, is massively compelling - the fact it's not real fades away, and it is real. It operates on all the same ways that you perceive reality so it is naturally engaging and immersive. Because it is so convincing, your natural reflexes are triggered in many situations such as standing on the edge of a cliff - fear, vertigo, trembling etc.

That is why people react in such crazy ways to VR

Seanspeed

Banned
See, this still matters a lot to me:

It’s tricky to compare Valve and Oculus’ headsets based on memory alone, but I think Crescent Bay has a slight edge when it comes to the screen. Both headsets refresh at 90Hz, but the Oculus’ screen is a bit clearer, with smaller pixels and a comparable (maybe slightly wider) field of view. SteamVR is still miles ahead of the Oculus Rift DK2, but the subpixels are noticeable, as are the gaps between pixels. Some combination of resolution and optics makes the Crescent Bay screen a slightly better experience, but both are high enough resolution to be comfortable to view and immersive with the right combination of sensory experiences.

As a sim racer, especially. All the standing up and walking around and fantastic motion controller tracking stuff sounds brilliant, I want it, but I really do want the best headset clarity as well as I feel most experiences will be seated. This is single-handedly going to keep Oculus an option for me going forward. Valve does have time to improve on their lens/display of course, too.

jmga

That's weird, Jimmy Thang, editor of MaximumPC said quite the opposite on reddit:

5Ic6jWL.png

http://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/2xzzie/i_tried_valves_vr_demo/

Seanspeed

Banned
That's weird, Jimmy Thang, editor of MaximumPC said quite the opposite on reddit:

5Ic6jWL.png

http://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/2xzzie/i_tried_valves_vr_demo/
That's the first I've heard somebody saying that its actually better than Crescent Bay. Most other places seem to be emphasizing that its the tracking and input solution that is giving the nod to the Vive in their eyes. Kinda like how when we were hearing about the comparisons between the DK2 and Morpheus, impressions were often split because while the DK2 had better screen technology, Morpheus' demos were more 'immersive' due to standing around and interacting within the experience.

But he's right, you'd really need to do a back-to-back to say which is actually clearer.

Nzyme32

CliffyB seems to have had fun:

"Valve's VR demo is a religious experience. I was nearly in tears at one point. Pure magic. Next level stuff. Mind blown. Also, funny too."

I got to try this today at Valve. Absolutely breathtaking; I'm still struggling to put into words what the experience was like.

To answer the questions about space, the developer told me that the cameras could track a space as small as the rug I was standing on, which was about 6x8 feet. He said he has it set up at his desk, and was talking very vaguely about a Counterstrike-ish game he was playing with a partner sitting at a desk in another room.

There was never any point where I got dizzy, or lost my place in the room. And while there were points where I could have walked over "the edge", my brain wouldn't let me do it. There's a scene at the end of the Portal demo where the floor falls away, and I felt myself backing up, so I didn't fall. When I was doing the undersea demo, I moved out of the way of the whale's fin, which goes right over where you're standing. Whoever mentioned presence is spot on-I could have "broken" the experience at any time, but it felt so real, I didn't try to.

There was one point during the Portal demo where I walked over to open a door, and I ran into the guy that was walking me through the demo. So while marking the walls is helpful, there are some issues if there's stuff in the space. The developer specifically mentioned moving things, like your couch and end tables and such.

I had heard some things about this device earlier in the week, but I didn't really pay attention to it. I've tried Occulus, and didn't really like it. But this? There are so many interesting applications outside of gaming that I could see this being used. I can't wait to see how it develops.

I got to try this today at Valve. Absolutely breathtaking; I'm still struggling to put into words what the experience was like.

To answer the questions about space, the developer told me that the cameras could track a space as small as the rug I was standing on, which was about 6x8 feet. He said he has it set up at his desk, and was talking very vaguely about a Counterstrike-ish game he was playing with a partner sitting at a desk in another room.

There was never any point where I got dizzy, or lost my place in the room. And while there were points where I could have walked over "the edge", my brain wouldn't let me do it. There's a scene at the end of the Portal demo where the floor falls away, and I felt myself backing up, so I didn't fall. When I was doing the undersea demo, I moved out of the way of the whale's fin, which goes right over where you're standing. Whoever mentioned presence is spot on-I could have "broken" the experience at any time, but it felt so real, I didn't try to.

There was one point during the Portal demo where I walked over to open a door, and I ran into the guy that was walking me through the demo. So while marking the walls is helpful, there are some issues if there's stuff in the space. The developer specifically mentioned moving things, like your couch and end tables and such.

I had heard some things about this device earlier in the week, but I didn't really pay attention to it. I've tried Occulus, and didn't really like it. But this? There are so many interesting applications outside of gaming that I could see this being used. I can't wait to see how it develops.

Cool.

Maybe that CS game is that Time Crisis-esque game Barnett mentioned in the Kotaku article.

What other demos did you try? Was the headset comfortable? Image quality?

Durante

It's interesting that most people who've tried it don't even talk about the display quality, or tracking accuracy, or all that other stuff geeks like me would love to know.

They mostly just describe the experience of being there. Presence achieved.

Froli

Cool.

Maybe that CS game is that Time Crisis-esque game Barnett mentioned in the Kotaku article.

What other demos did you try? Was the headset comfortable? Image quality?

A full Time Crisis-esque game.. this should be included when VR space is launched.

I wish we have a thread about possible games that would be available for VR in it's early stage.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
It's interesting that most people who've tried it don't even talk about the display quality, or tracking accuracy, or all that other stuff geeks like me would love to know.

It's by far the biggest impact that a VR set had on the people trying it since the original Rift. Although on paper it doesn't seem that far ahead, the new tracking method and the quality of the equipment is just enough to achieve its purpose.

Seanspeed

Banned
It's by far the biggest impact that a VR set had on the people trying it since the original Rift.
I don't know about that. It feels to me like each successive improvement in VR tech we get tons of hyped up responses about it being a game changer and whatnot. Which is cool. I think it goes to show how fast things are improving and how much more room there still is for improvement despite the heights of the amazingness of the technology already being quite high to begin with.

Tregard

Soothsayer
One of the things I can most easily imagine making things more immersive in an FPS such as L4D3 is the potential for independent gun movement, the idea that your weapon is not always in the same fixed position in your field of view, and you can move it around using your arms, I think that will be a little going that makes a huge difference.

Seanspeed

Banned
One of the things I can most easily imagine making things more immersive in an FPS such as L4D3 is the potential for independent gun movement, the idea that your weapon is not always in the same fixed position in your field of view, and you can move it around using your arms, I think that will be a little going that makes a huge difference.
Yes, decoupled aiming is definitely going to be one of the game-changers that VR brings.

It can already be demonstrated in Half Life 2 VR with a Razer Hydra setup.

jmga

I think no one talking about display quality and tracking accuracy is very good news. It means they are there, work how they should and do not present any issue.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I don't know about that. It feels to me like each successive improvement in VR tech we get tons of hyped up responses about it being a game changer and whatnot. Which is cool. I think it goes to show how fast things are improving and how much more room there still is for improvement despite the heights of the amazingness of the technology already being quite high to begin with.

Hype is there for all the improvements, no doubt about it, Morpheus got also a lot of praise, but what I'm talking about is the type of response this got. Most of the comments were about how it felt, how the immersion was, how different it is (while being quite the same technically, besides the tracking method), not on how was the quality of the screen, how big the pixels are, the comfort of wearing the helmet etc.

Mabase

sounds very cool.

One question I have reg. "breaking" the experience: did clipping ever occur (i.e. between you in-game controller and other geometry) , and if yes did it disturb you a lot?

I think the key is the "room sized experience", it's different being "there" but just pivoting on a point seated or standing up and leaning around a bit, than being there in the room walking around with freedom. It's basically a little Holo-deck except you can't touch stuff.
I think it doubles the presence effect.

Which makes me skeptical of the whole thing a bit, as I won't make my own empty "VR room" where I live, not even "my empty 7x7 feet space" (half of what the hardware allows), like most people. It seems more a technology for arcades.

rabhw

VR amateur here. Can anyone explain to me how they handle an experience where the in game area you can explore is larger than the real life area you are in? Do they accelerate your movement so that every 1 real life step is 5 in-game steps? Do you use the analog stick to move when you run out of space to walk forward?

Having a hard time imagining solutions besides the ones above - that or one of those crazy VR treadmill things.

Edit: I've read that they highlight in blue when you reach the boundary of your real life space, but then what? How do you keep going forward if you wanted to?

Tregard

Soothsayer
VR amateur here. Can anyone explain to me how they handle an experience where the in game area you can explore is larger than the real life area you are in? Do they accelerate your movement so that every 1 real life step is 5 in-game steps? Do you use the analog stick to move when you run out of space to walk forward?

Having a hard time imagining solutions besides the ones above - that or one of those crazy VR treadmill things.

Edit: I've read that they highlight in blue when you reach the boundary of your real life space, but then what? How do you keep going forward if you wanted to?

I've heard some talk about tricking your brain into thinking you're walking straight when you're actually walking in a circle, but that's about it.

These all are room sized demos tailored for this experience. I take it for bigger games you just use the controller to walk. Dunno.

Out of these games Gallery is the only one that's bigger than a room, so they probably thought of something for this system. They'll also be using Oculus.

Ty4on

But he's right, you'd really need to do a back-to-back to say which is actually clearer.

We don't know what screen tech either use, but if the Vive has a display with three subpixels (like most HTC phones) then there will be 7,776,000 subpixels versus the 7,372,800 subpixels in the Note 4 display with just two subpixels per pixel. I'm assuming the Crescent Bay will use a Samsung 1440p AMOLED like the one in the Note 4.

BumRush

You've probably seen the word "presence" being thrown around these topics quite a bit, and that's exactly what it offers.

All the features, head tracking, wide fov display, positional audio, etc run together enough that it tricks your brain into thinking you are actually "there", inside the game.

It feels unnerving when you first hold up your hands and don't see them lol.

People have been comparing it to the holodeck from Star Trek, and while it's obviously doesn't go that far, it certainly evokes a similar idea of "being there" that VR does give you.

If you have the chance, try and line up a demo. You won't regret it.

Thank you. That actually helped explain it really well.

Nzyme and jedi, thank you both as well. I'll have to demo one

There are a million different ways to do movement beyond the physical space you have to work with but it will require game design based around the solution you go with.

Off the top of my head I can see something that involves 3 movement scales, I dub it the Macross Method.

a 1-1 you walking around a scene,
valkyrie-macrossf-4m2uaa.jpg

a 1-X multiplier with hybrid controller input for you traversing medium distances
valkyrie-macrossf-3zvu6y.jpg

and a full on controller driven movement system (like being in a cockpit) where the head is a camera analogue for traveling long distance.
valkyrie-macrossf-2jguk2.jpg

I wonder if using a real body movement + analog controller combination would be one of the more viable, more traditional movement methods in the first years of VR. A rail shooter like Sin & Punishment sort of scheme, but using a left analog stick instead of the automated on-rails movement. You would basically have control over two movement spaces simultaneously - your own body inside the boundaries of your room and the entire size of the room (with you in it) within the vast expanses of the virtual game world. It's like having an invisible cube around you the size of your room and being able to walk freely inside that space and move that cube around the game world.

It might be a terrible idea though, I don't know how well that would work in VR.

Zaptruder

Banned

From the valve demo - I believe they just have flip camera 90 degrees left and right mapped to the controller. So if you reach the edge, turn yourself and then flip the camera again.

People are also working on various redirected walking algorithms and techniques that fools your brain into moving around in a confined space while using your sense of vision to override your sense of balance (the latter is a weaker tool in sensing direction).

Ultimately though, I think confined 1:1 space (i.e. it tracks your movement completely in a confined space) + control stick + on the spot walking will have to be the solution most gamers employ... the redirected methods require larger spaces than most people have access to, while control stick + on the spot walking provides significant sensory (and fitness) benefits that can't be achieved by pushing on the stick alone .

Seanspeed

Banned
Hype is there for all the improvements, no doubt about it, Morpheus got also a lot of praise, but what I'm talking about is the type of response this got. Most of the comments were about how it felt, how the immersion was, how different it is (while being quite the same technically, besides the tracking method), not on how was the quality of the screen, how big the pixels are, the comfort of wearing the helmet etc.
I heard a lot of the same things about Crescent Bay, not too long ago.

The reason you didn't hear much about screen quality and whatnot with Vive is because its not a step up. Its still good, but the improvements came from other areas. One of the things about VR is that the experience can be improved in quite a few different ways. The days of just adding more pixels and graphics and then calling a game 'new and better' are over, at least as far as VR is concerned.

Its not going to be realistic for the vast majority of home VR content. Devs are going to have to focus on the seated/stationary experience for products they want to sell well.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
CliffyB seems to have had fun:

"Valve's VR demo is a religious experience. I was nearly in tears at one point. Pure magic. Next level stuff. Mind blown. Also, funny too."

Sounds utterly amazing. I cannot wait.

I wonder if using a real body movement + analog controller combination would be one of the more viable, more traditional movement methods in the first years of VR. A rail shooter like Sin & Punishment sort of scheme, but using a left analog stick instead of the automated on-rails movement. You would basically have control over two movement spaces simultaneously - your own body inside the boundaries of your room and the entire size of the room (with you in it) within the vast expanses of the virtual game world. It's like having an invisible cube around you the size of your room and being able to walk freely inside that space and move that cube around the game world.

It might be a terrible idea though, I don't know how well that would work in VR.
If you walk in one direction to the boundary of your room and the game still appears like you can walk further in that direction, you're suggesting that you could stop, make the game world rotate 180 degrees with the left stick, so that you can also turn 180 degrees at the same time, so that you can then walk back across your room while it looks like you're walking in the same direction in the game... I think it would be pretty disorientating to have a very convincing environment that you're physically walking around in that can rotate after every few steps. It's like manual redirected walking - and redirected walking only really works if you can't notice it happening.

From the valve demo - I believe they just have flip camera 90 degrees left and right mapped to the controller. So if you reach the edge, turn yourself and then flip the camera again.
Is that true? I thought all the Vive demos were just designed around the room volume so you wouldn't have any incentive to hit the boundaries.

Yes, decoupled aiming is definitely going to be one of the game-changers that VR brings.

It can already be demonstrated in Half Life 2 VR with a Razer Hydra setup.
You don't need to go so recently for "decoupled" aiming, this is featured in various Wii/Wii U shooters. Most people didn't want to adapt to that type and sticked with the dual analog style anyways.

Hopefully since VR is such a big deal, there won't be any other choice except for the gamers that didn't apreciate that type of aiming to adapt. XD

I am pretty sure you are encouraged to have an empty 15 x 15 ft of space. obviously you cant have tables and chairs within that space.
And Vive will fail with consumers if that's the case. In fact, ANY VR that expects people to have a huge swath of empty space for its use will fail with consumers. This will, in turn, crash software development and VR will just be a quick fad on everyone's radar.

If it can't be intelligently on a couch or in a single spot it will fail as games will NOT work without the main input as the controller. That is unless you embrace an all on rails future. Moving in 3D space is nothing more than a marketing gimmick for trade shows.

Lighthouse is cool but will it be very useful for games? Positional head tracking sure but will lighthouse separate itself from the competition in real world software uses?

Seanspeed

Banned
You don't need to go so recently for "decoupled" aiming, this is featured in various Wii/Wii U shooters. Most people didn't want to adapt to that type and sticked with the dual analog style anyways.

Hopefully since VR is such a big deal, there won't be any other choice except for the gamers that didn't apreciate that type of aiming to adapt. XD
True, there was some decoupled aiming with Wii stuff. But its going to be a lot more appealing when you're there in the game and your aim isn't limited to just this small cone of vision in front of you.

Zaptruder

Banned
Is that true? I thought all the Vive demos were just designed around the room volume so you wouldn't have any incentive to hit the boundaries.

I wouldn't bet on that information. It's just what I've heard from somewhere... and I can't recall the source or the location I've heard it from. Only that it was associated with Vive. Somehow.

Nzyme32

I am pretty sure you are encouraged to have an empty 15 x 15 ft of space. obviously you cant have tables and chairs within that space.

And Vive will fail with consumers if that's the case. In fact, ANY VR that expects people to have a huge swath of empty space for its use will fail with consumers. This will, in turn, crash software development and VR will just be a quick fad on everyone's radar.

If it can't be intelligently on a couch or in a single spot it will fail as games will NOT work without the main input as the controller. That is unless you embrace an all on rails future. Moving in 3D space is nothing more than a marketing gimmick for trade shows.

Lighthouse is cool but will it be very useful for games? Positional head tracking sure but will lighthouse separate itself from the competition in real world software uses?

So this interview kind of answers a fair few of the arguments you have. Basically you are not ecouraged to have a 15ftx15ft space. It's designed to be scalable way below that scale as just a seated experience, and way beyond that scale by using more base stations.

Let's see what Oculus have to say about Rift CV1. Both solutions presented so far are perfectly capable of delivering the 'seated experience', but both companies may want to push beyond that. Whether they push standing or sitting, there is no danger of VR being a 'quick fad'.

Why is some people thinking you'll need the 15*15 room space to work? This is just an implementation and one of the possibilities. You can probably just use the HMD for in game cam view and use the Valve (or other) controller for a more normal interaction with games.

rjinaz

The most important impression of all
for GAF
:

https://twitter.com/yosp/status/573987002325934080

Shuhei Yoshida ‏@yosp 12 hours ago

@CloudheadGames @chetfaliszek @OwlchemyLabs I would play the game for many hours! :)

Owlbert Einstein ‏12 hours ago

@yosp now the real question is: what job would you most want simulated, Shu?

Shuhei Yoshida ‏@yosp 10 hours ago

@OwlchemyLabs Ice cream parlor

Seems he really liked it then, and he must really like ice cream lol.

So this interview kind of answers a fair few of the arguments you have. Basically you are not ecouraged to have a 15ftx15ft space. It's designed to be scalable way below that scale as just a seated experience, and way beyond that scale by using more base stations.
Cool.

Top Bottom