• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Humans of New York's Interviews with Syrian Refugees in Europe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Firestorm

Over the last two weeks, the incredibly popular Facebook Page, Humans of New York (HONY) covered stories from Syrian Refugees who had just entered different countries in Europe -- mostly Greece. Was anyone else following it? Some of the most heart-wrenching stuff I've read in the past little while :(

He starts off with this six-parter:

tumblr_nvay21mLKo1qggwnvo1_1280.jpg

I want to begin this refugee series with a post from the summer of 2014. This is Muhammad, who I first met last year in Iraqi Kurdistan. At the time, he had just fled the war in Syria and was working as a clerk at my hotel. When war broke out, he’d been studying English Literature at the University of Damascus, so his English was nearly perfect. He agreed to work as my interpreter and we spent several days interviewing refugees who were fleeing the advance of ISIS. As is evident from the quote below, I left Muhammad with the expectation that he’d soon be travelling to the United Kingdom with fake papers. I am retelling the story because I have just now reconnected with Muhammad. He will be working again as my interpreter for the next ten days. But the story he told me of what happened since we last met is tragic. (1/6)

—————————————

“The fighting got very bad. When I left Syria to come here, I only had $50. I was almost out of money when I got here. I met a man on the street, who took me home, and gave me food and a place to stay. But I felt so ashamed to be in his home that I spent 11 hours a day looking for jobs, and only came back to sleep. I finally found a job at a hotel. They worked me 12 hours a day, for 7 days a week. They gave me $400 a month. Now I found a new hotel now that is much better. I work 12 hours per day for $600 a month, and I get one day off. In all my free hours, I work at a school as an English teacher. I work 18 hours per day, every day. And I have not spent any of it. I have not bought even a single T-shirt. I’ve saved 13,000 Euro, which is how much I need to buy fake papers. There is a man I know who can get me to Europe for 13,000. I’m leaving next week. I’m going once more to Syria to say goodbye to my family, then I’m going to leave all this behind. I’m going to try to forget it all. And I’m going to finish my education.”
(August 2014 : Erbil, Iraq)

tumblr_nvaydcNWNb1qggwnvo1_1280.jpg

“Before leaving for Europe, I went back to Syria to see my family once more. I slept in my uncle’s barn the entire time I was there, because every day the police were knocking on my father’s door. Eventually my father told me: ‘If you stay any longer, they will find you and they will kill you.’ So I contacted a smuggler and made my way to Istanbul. I was just about to leave for Europe when I received a call from my sister. She told me that my father had been very badly beaten by police, and unless I sent 5,000 Euro for an operation, he would die. That was my money to get to Europe. But what could I do? I had no choice. Then two weeks later she called with even worse news. My brother had been killed by ISIS while he was working in an oil field. They found our address on his ID card, and they sent his head to our house, with a message: ‘Kurdish people aren’t Muslims.’ My youngest sister found my brother’s head. This was one year ago. She has not spoken a single word since.” (Kos, Greece)

(2/6)

tumblr_nvazpmFyIN1qggwnvo1_1280.jpg

“For two weeks my tears didn’t stop. Nothing made sense. Why did these things happen to my family? We did everything right. Everything. We were very honest with everyone. We treated our neighbors well. We made no big mistakes. I was under so much pressure at this time. My father was in intensive care, and every day my sisters called and told me that ISIS was getting closer to our village. I went completely crazy. I fainted in the street one day and woke up in the hospital. I gave the rest of my money to a smuggler to help my sisters escape to Iraq. Now I only had 1000 Euro left and I was stranded in Turkey. My father recovered from his operation at this time. He called me and asked how I’d paid for his surgery. I told him that the money came from a friend. He asked if I had made it to Europe. For the first time ever, I lied to my father. I didn’t want him to feel guilty about his surgery. I told him that I was in Europe, and I was safe, and there was nothing to worry about.” (Kos, Greece)

(3/6)

tumblr_nvcjn2yRrn1qggwnvo1_1280.jpg

“After I told my father that I’d made it to Europe, I wanted nothing more than to turn that lie into the truth. I found a smuggler and told him my story. He acted like he cared very much and wanted to help me. He told me that for 1000 Euros, he could get me to a Greek Island. He said: ‘I’m not like the other smugglers. I fear God. I have children of my own. Nothing bad will happen to you.’ I trusted this man. One night he called me and told me to meet him at a garage. He put me in the back of a van with twenty other people. There were tanks of gasoline back there, and we couldn’t breath. People started to scream and vomit. The smuggler pulled out a gun, pointed it at us, and said: ‘If you don’t shut up, I will kill you.’ He took us to a beach, and while he prepared the boat, his partner kept the gun pointed at us. The boat was made of plastic and was only three meters long. When we got on it, everyone panicked and the boat started to sink. Thirteen of the people were too scared to go. But the smuggler said that if we changed our minds, he would keep the money, so seven of us decided to go ahead. The smuggler told us that he would guide us to the island, but after a few hundred meters, he jumped off the boat and swam to shore. He told us to keep going straight. The waves got higher and higher and water began to come in the boat. It was completely black. We could see no land, no lights, only ocean. Then after thirty minutes the motor stopped. I knew we all would die. I was so scared that my thoughts completely stopped. The women started crying because none of them could swim. I lied and told them that I could swim with three people on my back. It started to rain. The boat began to turn in circles. Everyone was so frightened that nobody could speak. But one man kept trying to work on the motor, and after a few minutes it started again. I don’t remember how we reached shore. But I remember I kissed all the earth I could find. I hate the sea now. I hate it so much. I don’t like to swim it. I don’t like to look at it. I hate everything about it.” (Kos, Greece)

(4/6)

tumblr_nvcq2vvE0P1qggwnvo1_1280.jpg

“The island we landed on was called Samothrace. We were so thankful to be there. We thought we’d reached safety. We began to walk toward the police station to register as refugees. We even asked a man on the side of the road to call the police for us. I told the other refugees to let me speak for them, since I spoke English. Suddenly two police jeeps came speeding toward us and slammed on the brakes. They acted like we were murderers and they’d been searching for us. They pointed guns at us and screamed: ‘Hands up!’ I told them: ‘Please, we just escaped the war, we are not criminals!’ They said: ‘Shut up, Malaka!’ I will never forget this word: ‘Malaka, Malaka, Malaka.’ It was all they called us. They threw us into prison. Our clothes were wet and we could not stop shivering. We could not sleep. I can still feel this cold in my bones. For three days we had no food or water. I told the police: ‘We don’t need food, but please give us water.’ I begged the commander to let us drink. Again, he said: ‘Shut up, Malaka!’ I will remember this man’s face for the rest of my life. He had a gap in his teeth so he spit on us when he spoke. He chose to watch seven people suffer from thirst for three days while they begged him for water. We were saved when they finally they put us on a boat and sent us to a camp on the mainland. For twelve days we stayed there before walking north. We walked for three weeks. I ate nothing but leaves. Like an animal. We drank from dirty rivers. My legs grew so swollen that I had to take off my shoes. When we reached the border, an Albanian policeman found us and asked if we were refugees. When we told him ‘yes,’ he said that he would help us. He told us to hide in the woods until nightfall. I did not trust this man, but I was too tired to run. When night came, he loaded us all into his car. Then he drove us to his house and let us stay there for one week. He bought us new clothes. He fed us every night. He told me: ‘Do not be ashamed. I have also lived through a war. You are now my family and this is your house too.’” (Kos, Greece)

(5/6)

tumblr_nvcwc22VV21qggwnvo1_1280.jpg

“After one month, I arrived in Austria. The first day I was there, I walked into a bakery and met a man named Fritz Hummel. He told me that forty years ago he had visited Syria and he’d been treated well. So he gave me clothes, food, everything. He became like a father to me. He took me to the Rotary Club and introduced me to the entire group. He told them my story and asked: ‘How can we help him?’ I found a church, and they gave me a place to live. Right away I committed myself to learning the language. I practiced German for 17 hours a day. I read children’s stories all day long. I watched television. I tried to meet as many Austrians as possible. After seven months, it was time to meet with a judge to determine my status. I could speak so well at this point, that I asked the judge if we could conduct the interview in German. He couldn’t believe it. He was so impressed that I’d already learned German, that he interviewed me for only ten minutes. Then he pointed at my Syrian ID card and said: ‘Muhammad, you will never need this again. You are now an Austrian!’” (Kos, Greece)

(6/6)

Right after that he follow up with this:

tumblr_nveoalZIZO1qggwnvo1_1280.jpg

“My husband and I sold everything we had to afford the journey. We worked 15 hours a day in Turkey until we had enough money to leave. The smuggler put 152 of us on a boat. Once we saw the boat, many of us wanted to go back, but he told us that anyone who turned back would not get a refund. We had no choice. Both the lower compartment and the deck were filled with people. Waves began to come into the boat so the captain told everyone to throw their baggage into the sea. In the ocean we hit a rock, but the captain told us not to worry. Water began to come into the boat, but again he told us not to worry. We were in the lower compartment and it began to fill with water. It was too tight to move. Everyone began to scream. We were the last ones to get out alive. My husband pulled me out of the window. In the ocean, he took off his life jacket and gave it to a woman. We swam for as long as possible. After several hours he told me he that he was too tired to swim and that he was going to float on his back and rest. It was so dark we could not see. The waves were high. I could hear him calling me but he got further and further away. Eventually a boat found me. They never found my husband.” (Kos, Greece)

There's a lot more on both the Facebook page and Tumblr. It's a really insightful look into what people are going through as they try to find refuge and something I've kept in mind whenever reading about the crisis.

Jintor

“My husband and I sold everything we had to afford the journey. We worked 15 hours a day in Turkey until we had enough money to leave. The smuggler put 152 of us on a boat. Once we saw the boat, many of us wanted to go back, but he told us that anyone who turned back would not get a refund. We had no choice. Both the lower compartment and the deck were filled with people. Waves began to come into the boat so the captain told everyone to throw their baggage into the sea. In the ocean we hit a rock, but the captain told us not to worry. Water began to come into the boat, but again he told us not to worry. We were in the lower compartment and it began to fill with water. It was too tight to move. Everyone began to scream. We were the last ones to get out alive. My husband pulled me out of the window. In the ocean, he took off his life jacket and gave it to a woman. We swam for as long as possible. After several hours he told me he that he was too tired to swim and that he was going to float on his back and rest. It was so dark we could not see. The waves were high. I could hear him calling me but he got further and further away. Eventually a boat found me. They never found my husband.” (Kos, Greece)

remember this any time you hear anyone parrot some fucking line about they're not refugees, they're economic migrants

I love HONY. If only I could read his posts without all the comments though.

Edit: like the one about bread maker, 'I know what it feels like to have nothing'..

Walpurgis

Banned
It's really sad to see all the anti-refugee sentiment and the "they're not refugees, they're economic migrants" crap on NeoGAF. Hopefully this thread can open people's hearts.

pa22word

It's really sad to see all the anti-refugee sentiment and the "they're not refugees, they're economic migrants" crap on NeoGAF. Hopefully this thread can open people's hearts.

As an american in the southwest who has been dealing with that crap since literally the day I was born (my mother remembers my grandfather "bitching about the damned mexicans" as he was watching tv rather than paying attention to my birth), I will say there's a fucking fat chance of that.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
remember this any time you hear anyone parrot some fucking line about they're not refugees, they're economic migrants

You seem to have to missed the part where it said these Syrians worked fifteen hours a day in Turkey to make enough money to pay the human traffickers. That means they were already in a safe country but still they wanted to travel further.

That's what I call an economic migrant. There's no difference at all between Syrians who travel from Turkey to Greece and Mexicans who want to get into the US. Thousands of Mexicans have died in their attempts to cross the US border too.

You seem to have to missed the part where it said these Syrians worked fifteen hours a day in Turkey to make enough money to pay the human traffickers. That means they were already in a safe country but still they wanted to travel further.

That's what I call an economic migrant. There's no difference at all between Syrians who travel from Turkey to Greece and Mexicans who want to get into the US. Thousands of Mexicans have died in their attempts to cross the US border too.
This statement is simply ignorant. There's a goddamn multi-faction war in Syria going on right now, nowhere is safe. Mexico might have a lot of problems right now, but they don't have planes bombing them.

Exactly. It should be common sense and common knowledge that people will be willing to risk their lives, if there are significant financial or lifestyle incentives.

Nivash

It's not possible for Turkey to accommodate all the Syrian refugees and the refugees will of course realise this and move on. Escaping from war isn't just about finding the first rock to hide behind where you won't be killed, it's also about being able to get a new start in life and a future. Turkey can't do that for several million refugees. You can't seriously expect the refugees to live out the rest of their lives in squalor in refugee camps just so us Europeans can keep our continent white.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Okay, so I've done a fair amount of reporting on the refugees. People seem to be conflating two different groups and politicizing every angle of this thing. There are more than 4 million Syrian refugees at the moment. The vast majority of them are displaced due to the war.

But when it comes to Germany in specific and their estimated end of year 1.5 million refugees, that number is made up of a large mixture of people displaced from Syria and Iraq, but also bonafide economic migrants from the Balkans. These are two separate groups. They both do exist.

Merkel opened the doors to more than just the war displaced. For instance, at a shelter near where I live, the majority of the 75 refugees are from Albania. A dozen kilometers away and the majority are from Syria and Afghanistan.

The sad part is that while the attention is on the war displaced - as it should be - the other migrants are sort of overlooked. I spoke at length with a 20 year-old woman whose father was killed in Albania, her mother was paralyzed. She had to take care of herself and 5 other siblings, as she was the oldest female. Her older brother made enough money to get them Germany via traffickers. Some bad things happened to them along the way, but they got to Germany and her mother is getting medical care for the first time. They qualify greatly as economic migrants, but that doesn't mean their plight is any less worthy of attention.

And talking to the refugees, one thing is very clear. Merkel, for any faults she may have, is going to be seen very favorably by history.

That's true when people use economic migrant to cover up their dislike for refugees, but one must still remember a refugee and a migrant aren't the same thing. A migrant is practically an expatriate. A refugee is someone fleeing humanitarian crisis. The problem on NeoGAF (it's not just a problem here but elsewhere too) is that people refer to refugees such as Syrians as economic migrants. Syrians are refugees, as the Humans of New York shows explicitly - they are Syrians interviewed. An Albanian for example that is amongst the refugees is not a refugee. There is no persecution based on race, religion, politics, xenophobia, war, etc in Albania so they are a migrant just as if someone from South Africa is going to Europe for work or from the U.S for work in Europe for economic opportunities. They're fundamentally not the same thing. The issue is that amongst the Syrian refugees is a lot of actual economic migrants. These are two different groups being grouped together. This is why Albanians, Pakistanis, etc are not being granted asylum, they are not acknowledged as refugees because they are not, where as Syrians are being granted asylum because they are recognised as refugees. There is a distinct, legal difference and you will not be granted asylum status in Germany for example if you are not a refugee like a Syrian.

It's not possible for Turkey to accommodate all the Syrian refugees and the refugees will of course realise this and move on. Escaping from war isn't just about finding the first rock to hide behind where you won't be killed, it's also about being able to get a new start in life and a future. Turkey can't do that for several million refugees. You can't seriously expect the refugees to live out the rest of their lives in squalor in refugee camps just so us Europeans can keep our continent white.

Well, that didn't take long. 12 posts?

That first guy saved up €13,000, doesn't sound like he was living in squalor. Why not put that money down as a deposit on a house instead of paying some shady character to sail a plastic dinghy to Kos?

Kabouter

Okay, so I've done a fair amount of reporting on the refugees. People seem to be conflating two different groups and politicizing every angle of this thing. There are more than 4 million Syrian refugees at the moment. The vast majority of them are displaced due to the war.

But when it comes to Germany in specific and their estimated end of year 1.5 million refugees, that number is made up of a large mixture of people displaced from Syria and Iraq, but also bonafide economic migrants from the Baltics. These are two separate groups. They both do exist.
I think you mean Balkans here :p. People from the Baltics can come and go as they please thanks to their citizenship of an EU member state and all that good shit.

And talking to the refugees, one thing is very clear. Merkel, for any faults she may have, is going to be seen very favorably by history.
That's very hard to say, what leaders will be most remembered for is often very hard to predict.

Saying that criticism of the current influx of refugee must mean you are a racist is very low. Don't do that.

Firestorm

That first guy saved up €13,000, doesn't sound like he was living in squalor. Why not put that money down as a deposit on a house instead of paying some shady character to sail a plastic dinghy to Kos?
Did you finish his story...?

Nivash

He saved up that much money by working 16 hours a day illegally for a pittance. He said he didn't even buy a T-shirt so yeah, he was clearly living in squalor. Syrian refugees aren't even allowed to work in Turkey, forget about buying houses or anything like that.

http://uk.mobile.reuters.com/article/idUKKCN0QC1UH20150807?irpc=932

And yes, I'm going to keep pointing out that the European hostility to refugees is based on racism because it bleeding obviously is.

pa22word

Wow, did he get banned for that? I thought it was painstaking obvious what he was alluding to, and his last post ITT spelled it out rather clear.

Constant and unsubstantiated accusations of racism in these matters have utterly poisoned discourse. It's good to see it dealt with appropriately for once. If you want to discuss how you feel culture and race play a part in this, it might be better to come up with something more substantial than 'Europeans are racist and that is the end of it'.

pa22word

Constant and unsubstantiated accusations of racism in these matters have utterly poisoned discourse. It's good to see it dealt with appropriately for once. If you want to discuss how you feel culture and race play a part in this, it might be better to come up with something more substantial than 'Europeans are racist and that is the end of it'.

Bullshit. As someone in america who has dealt with immigration issues like this constantly, Europeans should be held to the same standard. They are developed nations just like we (according to some) supposedly are, and they should have to learn to cope with it in a timely fashion, as painful as it is for some, just like the US has done since its literal inception.

It's bullshit if he was banned for that. I'll not skip around it for the mod posting itt. I understand more than most that ethnicity and nationality are weirdly entwined in a way that it isn't here in the states, but as someone who's family literally lost its name in order to integrate to the US and not face backlash, such shit is unacceptable in the 21st century.

Kabouter

Bullshit. As someone in america who has dealt with immigration issues like this constantly, Europeans should be held to the same standard. They are developed nations just like we (according to some) supposedly are, and they should have to learn to cope with it in a timely fashion, as painful as it is for some, just like the US has done since its literal inception.

It's bullshit if he was banned for that. I'll not skip around it for the mod posting itt. I understand more than most that ethnicity and nationality are weirdly entwined in a way that it isn't here in the states, but as someone who's family literally lost its name in order to integrate to the US and not face backlash, such shit is unacceptable in the 21st century.

Saying that any criticism of and resistance to the coming of refugees must mean you are a white supremacist is about as harmful to discussion as it gets. And saying you will continue to do so even after having been told not to by a moderator is clearly banworthy. If you have a problem with my decision, feel free to send an e-mail to support@neogaf.com, but don't continue this discussion in the thread.

TarNaru33

Banned
Come again? There was a recent huge influx of Syrian, Iraqi, Albanian, and Pakistani refugees in America? How many? When was this?

He is talking about the U.S's immigration issue, which is kind of like the one in Europe. Large groups of people leaving their war-torn/unstable country for U.S through the southern border should be something everyone is aware of by now.

There is said to be 11 million illegals currently in U.S and that is on the low-end estimate. Though I would agree with anyone, U.S should take in more refugees and make the immigration process more streamlined.

TarNaru33

Banned
It's probably easier to go to the moon than it is to get a green card. Americans and immegration(that's mainly from Mexico) have really fuck all to say about anything or anyone. Im not even going to entertain the idea of explaining the nuance between cherry picking immigrants and having a refugee wave coming at you(with many people not from warring countries) while fighting austerity measures.

Since you feel so smug about your policies, might want to take those coming from Irak that seem to comprise 30% of all the supposed refugees in Finland.

He isn't even complimenting U.S's immigration system, he is clearly criticizing it as racism is a huge reason immigration reform is difficult to even agree on among the two political groups in U.S. The offense you took is quite silly considering it.

It is the reason why he is annoyed that Nivash got banned. Do not know how you mistaken it.

Devil

Eh, you should really read about the situation of refugees in Turkey. Safe from war? Probably. A life worth living, a life where you are welcomed by the governemt itself? No, not at all. The asylum laws in Turkey are a joke, Syrians are abused like hell because they don't get proper registration as refugees and are not legally allowed to work. From the perspective of Turkish laws, they are basically homeless or forced to work illegaly with the employers paying next to nothing.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!

The general feeling I get is that the Turks don't want them, so where are they supposed to go next? Back to Syria? Or should they continue living in Turkish refugee camps indefinitely?

I would blame Turkey and the GCC countries for the refugee problem before laying the blame on Syrian refugees wanting to come to Europe for a better life. They're the ones fueling the war for their geopolitical desires yet they're refusing to accept the repercussions of it by not taking in refugees(despite having more than enough money and resources to do so).

Jintor

You seem to have to missed the part where it said these Syrians worked fifteen hours a day in Turkey to make enough money to pay the human traffickers.

You're right but I'm not sure I agree with your other assertion. I'll do more reading.

But when it comes to Germany in specific and their estimated end of year 1.5 million refugees, that number is made up of a large mixture of people displaced from Syria and Iraq, but also bonafide economic migrants from the Balkans. These are two separate groups. They both do exist.

Merkel opened the doors to more than just the war displaced. For instance, at a shelter near where I live, the majority of the 75 refugees are from Albania. A dozen kilometers away and the majority are from Syria and Afghanistan.

The sad part is that while the attention is on the war displaced - as it should be - the other migrants are sort of overlooked. I spoke at length with a 20 year-old woman whose father was killed in Albania, her mother was paralyzed. She had to take care of herself and 5 other siblings, as she was the oldest female. Her older brother made enough money to get them Germany via traffickers. Some bad things happened to them along the way, but they got to Germany and her mother is getting medical care for the first time. They qualify greatly as economic migrants, but that doesn't mean their plight is any less worthy of attention.

Thanks for sharing dude. Do you have any more stories about other refugees you've spoken with?

It also makes me sick how much these smugglers are profiting off of peoples misery.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom