• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Humble Bundle of PC software - 1 year of LastPass for BTA.

yatesl

EDIT - LastPass and VPN sub is for new users only

Lock topic if needed as it's not gaming relevant, but I figure I'd drop it here as a PSA due to the number of Playstation 'hacks' etc. Along with 2 factor auth, I really recommend LastPass for password security. The desktop version is free but the Premium sub lets you sync with Android and iOS devices. No longer will LinkedIn breaches give someone the same password you use for your e-mail and Xbox Live account.

https://www.humblebundle.com/lifehacker-software-bundle

$1 - Breevy, Fences + DeskScapes - Directory Opus 12 Light

BTA (currently $7.33) - DisplayFusion, 1 year of LastPass Premium, 1 year of CyberGhost VPN

$15 - 1 year of Acronis True Image 2017, 1 year of Bitdefender Antivirus Plus 2017

Pudge

It should be noted that the VPN and LastPass are set up for "new users" only, but it was pretty simple for me to start a new account and import my passwords within minutes.

Mindman

It should be noted that the VPN and LastPass are set up for "new users" only, but it was pretty simple for me to start a new account and import my passwords within minutes.

Shame. I wanted to extend my existing premium membership but oh well. Love LastPass.

yatesl

Yeah, there's an Import/Export feature built right in to LP. Worth picking up and keeping in your pocket for a rainy day.

cyress8

Banned
Would rather have WindowBlinds instead of Fences. Wishful thinking, but back when I was a young whippersnapper, I loved using gaudy skins.

yatesl

Would rather have WindowBlinds instead of Fences. Wishful thinking, but back when I was a young whippersnapper, I loved using gaudy skins.

wb-dec04.jpg

vlaktron

Neo Member
anyone know if the last pass or VPN keys have to be redeemed by a certain date? Have no need for them now, but probably would down the road.

dr_rus

Don't really see any point in using LastPass when every modern browser have the same functionality built into it.

CyberGhost VPN and BitDefender 1yr are the only two programs which seems useful in this bundle.

LAA

Anyone know if the Lastpass premium can be used for a free account that hasn't had premium before...?
I was going to to go for top tier until I saw True Image is for 1 year. I don't see why image backup software needs to be subscription based.

low-G

anyone know if the last pass or VPN keys have to be redeemed by a certain date? Have no need for them now, but probably would down the road.

Says redeem by May 2017 for the VPN, the LastPass must be redeemed by the end of the year FWIW

Rootbeer

Banned
too bad the lastpass is for new users only. i'd love to hop on this just to extend mine for a year.

btw, if any of you are thinking about using lastpass... just do it. it'll change your life and up your security way beyond the typical user. if you use it correctly you pretty much don't have to fret about websites you use getting hacked ever again. just change your unique pw for that site, which is all databased and autofilled on all of your browsers via lastpass, and move on with your life. lastpass will even tell you of sites that have been recently exploited.

Don't really see any point in using LastPass when every modern browser have the same functionality built into it.

I usually use it to generate long, randomized passwords to ensure that i'm not reusing passwords. It's also nice to have it be platform and browser agnostic.

Wok

I am pretty happy with KeePass. So unless the VPN service is really good, I won't bite.

The Boat

CyberGhost VPN and BitDefender 1yr are the only two programs which seems useful in this bundle.
Storing passwords in the browser is very unsafe.

Retsudo

Just got the second tier. My vpn was bound to expire in a few weeks, so might aswell have a new one ready. Thanks for the tip op.

I mean, it's a decent deal but it's only $12 annually normally. Not worth the trouble of having to import all of my saved logins and start a new account just to save a couple bucks over the next 12 months.

yatesl

I mean, it's a decent deal but it's only $12 annually normally. Not worth the trouble of having to import all of my saved logins and start a new account just to save a couple bucks over the next 12 months.

If the extra software is enough for someone to make the jump, then it's worth it.

Same functionality? Wut? Lastpass works on every browser, has a mobile APP, its own website, tons of two factor authentication options, secure notes/attachments in your Vault.

The functionality of web-browser based password managers is pretty basic.

styl3s

Picked it up for the VPN ill give the Last Pass to my sister since she seemingly forgets her passwords to everything.

I would rather pay the $12 then have to switch all my stuff to a new account.

T0h7mqB.gif

The new users thing for lastpass was pretty deflating. I wish that part was in the damn thread title.

Thanks anyway, I guess
Yeah i was excited until i read that.

Oh well $7 for a years worth of VPN service isn't bad i usually pay a few more dollars than that just for a months worth when i want a game to unlock early.

Pakkidis

What happens after the year with last pass. Does your account automatically switch over to the free version. How is Last pass? I have never used a password manager before.

What happens after the year with last pass. Does your account automatically switch over to the free version. How is Last pass? I have never used a password manager before.

I think the only reason to buy a premium account is to get Lastpass mobile app functionality. Without the sub, it's a reeeeeeal pain in the ass to access your passwords on mobile.

Anyone know if Fences will prevent Windows from juggling my desktop icons when one of my monitors wakes from sleep a little slower than the other?

I'd be willing to pay a buck for that.

I'm not sure about Fences, but I use DesktopOK for that. It's a small portable app that lets you save your current Desktop layout and load it back later. I use its command line options to save my desktop layout before switching to Big Picture (which also turns my TV into the main monitor, and my PC monitors off) and load it back when I exit. Without this, Windows freaks out and rearranges everything, as my desktop resolution changes from dual monitor, to single TV monitor, and back again.

It's free, and works pretty well. I'd recommend it, but it's not seamless (unless you set up something to save and load for you automatically).

desu

I disagree. I was also excited for Directory Opus 12 until I read the differences between Light and Pro.

Light can't be used as an Explorer replacement.

DO is really really awesome if you do a lot of stuff in the explorer, been trying it for a while now. None of its competitors like XYplorer come close to it in my opinion.

Compared to the normal retail price this package allows you to get the Pro version for 50% off (upgrade to Pro is 40AUD with the light version, compared to the normal full price of 89 AUD). If you have a little more patience you might wait for the next discount and likely get it for for 20 AUD (they had one last christmas), which would be a total steal for the amount of features it offers). Just saying :).

dr_rus

I usually use it to generate long, randomized passwords to ensure that i'm not reusing passwords. It's also nice to have it be platform and browser agnostic.

Don't see anything nice in that, most proper browsers are platform agnostic. And you can use any website out of a thousand out there to generate random passwords, including LastPass one's.

Storing passwords in the browser is very unsafe.
How is it less safe than storing them in a different software which essentially does the same thing?

Same functionality? Wut? Lastpass works on every browser, has a mobile APP, its own website, tons of two factor authentication options, secure notes/attachments in your Vault.

The functionality of web-browser based password managers is pretty basic.

Basic functionality is all you need in this case, it gets the job done, free, without installing something else which will hook into running applications. 2FA is the only thing which makes LastPass more secure.

Top Bottom