• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I want AI to do my laundry and dishes so that I can do art and writing, not for AI to do my art and writing so that I can do my laundry and dishes

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
truth i want to be an artistic writer nort a dish doer

source.gif

MrMephistoX

But what about menial yet labor intensive art? Everyone wants to be a character or level designer in games but do you think anyone dreams of designing trees or soda cans or crowds in a sports game? I look at AI as a way to give artists tools to let them focus on the big picture like gameplay, characters and story instead of forcing them to spend 100s of hours and $ getting moss on a tree stump just right and then multiplying that by 1000.

Last edited:

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Some of the ai softcore stuff looks pretty damn hot now. Lot of it is bad and obvious but some it is grade A stuff

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Saw this come up on my feed, and I 100% agree.

AI should be created to handle our menial tasks, not be designed to take over our creative passions, be it writing, art or acting.

That's what a dishwasher, washing machine and dryer are for. It cant get much easier than putting shit into a big metal box, put in some detergent and press Start. How lazy can someone get?

bitbydeath

Gold Member
That's what a dishwasher, washing machine and dryer are for. It cant get much easier than putting shit into a big metal box, put in some detergent and press Start. How lazy can someone get?
You still have to clean the dishes before putting them in the dishwasher. It’s not recommended to leave food scraps on them.

And the purpose is to remove those additional aspects so your not spending any time on it so we have more time for other meaningful activities.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
You still have to clean the dishes before putting them in the dishwasher. It’s not recommended to leave food scraps on them.

And the purpose is to remove those additional aspects so your not spending any time on it so we have more time for other meaningful activities.
If rinsing off dishes before loading them into a dishwasher is too much effort in life, that person has to be the laziest person on earth.

Why anyone wants robots to do everything for them in life is puzzling. There's plenty of time to do stuff. It's like people saying they cant work out because they got zero time. If someone cant find 1 hr per week to exercise (out of 168 hours) they are lying.

feynoob

Gold Member
AI should be created to handle our menial tasks, not be designed to take over our creative passions, be it writing, art or acting.
That is what we said about robots, yet here we are with them doing most of everything for us.

The jobs that you described belonged to someone who was making money from it. Now they dont have that job anymore. So dont get angry, when the AI does the same thing to your job.

Soon, we will have AI that drives cars, airplane and carrier machines. AI that can do surgeries, AI that can teach kids.

bitbydeath

Gold Member
If rinsing off dishes before loading them into a dishwasher is too much effort in life, that person has to be the laziest person on earth.

Why anyone wants robots to do everything for them in life is puzzling. There's plenty of time to do stuff. It's like people saying they cant work out because they got zero time. If someone cant find 1 hr per week to exercise (out of 168 hours) they are lying.
It’s not about being lazy, it’s about freeing up time to follow your passions and excel at life, which may include having an extra hour become available for exercising.

bitbydeath

Gold Member
That is what we said about robots, yet here we are with them doing most of everything for us.

The jobs that you described belonged to someone who was making money from it. Now they dont have that job anymore. So dont get angry, when the AI does the same thing to your job.

Soon, we will have AI that drives cars, airplane and carrier machines. AI that can do surgeries, AI that can teach kids.
Servants haven’t ever been a big service where I live, unless you count colonial times / convicts.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
It’s not about being lazy, it’s about freeing up time to follow your passions and excel at life, which may include having an extra hour become available for exercising.
It's a give and take.

In life, a lot of the highest quality stuff comes from robots and AI doing stuff (putting a car or microchip together with laser accuracy). Then there's things using your hands will always beat a computer assuming they got the skill and time to do it (cooking great food vs premade packaged stuff or using a microwave to zap food).

For some people like the tweet, they want stuff like chores around the houses automated (even beyond washing machines and dishwashers already), while leaving time for artsy stuff.

Everyone is different. I prefer if artsy stuff is automated to hell best as possible with human tweaks because it looks like at some point ChatGPT and the gang can churn out stuff insanely fast in seconds. It's an extension of Photoshop where artists use it to do their work on PC instead of paint and canvas. And for lots of chores like mowing the lawn, washing dishes, washing my car etc.... I do it by hand as I can do a better job and enjoy washing my car on my driveway on a weekend instead of a car wash. And doing laundry is so automated already, I dont need it any more automated. The only thing left would be if an AI servant loaded the hopper and added detergent for me. I can spare two minutes doing that myself.

Last edited:

DavidGzz

Wow, taking house keeper jerbs. How cruel. Either way, the shit is bad for the job market but there will be pros to it. A lot of cons as well. Probably even more.

Go_Ly_Dow

too late. for the first time in our history, a technological revolution will displace the white collars en masse before the blue collars.
Seems that way.

Service based economies and workers such as in the UK and a lot of the West may be in for a shit storm.

E-Cat

Gold Member
Sorry, but automating the neocortex appears to be easier than the automating the cerebellum, and there’s nothing anyone can do about that

SJRB

Gold Member
...but we have machines that do our laundry and our dishes? And they're quite efficient at it, too.

Or do you take your clothes and trot to the nearest stream to wash your dirty clothes on rocks alongside the riverbed?

Last edited:

E-Cat

Gold Member
...but we have machines that do our laundry and our dishes? And they're quite efficient at it, too.

Or do you take your clothes and trot to the nearest stream to wash your dirty clothes on rocks alongside the riverbed?
But you still have to manually load them in and take them out. Ain’t nobody got time for that

Puscifer

You thought AI was here to help you?

gotcha-bitch-dave-chappelle.gif

It's here to make the rich and powerful more rich and powerful.
Not to mention these robots with full intelligence. They don't need to exist, AI should be for menial task with the intellect of an ant. There's no reason for it be on the level of a human except to kill or control you, but that's borderline conspiracy speak so I'll stop there

You thought AI was here to help you?

gotcha-bitch-dave-chappelle.gif

It's here to make the rich and powerful more rich and powerful.
This is all it comes down to. I have not met a single person in real life who's excited for AI. Nobody asked for this, and unlike the industrial revolution, only a small amount of people will benefit or enjoy it while a vast majority suffers or gets a whole lot dumber as a result. It's amazing we're collectively just taking it up the ass, I wonder when the breaking point will be. It's no coincidence all the million and billionaires have been building bunkers in recent times...

GymWolf

Gold Member
We need robots inside every house to use ia for menial tasks, ia doesn't have a body to do physical stuff yet.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
I think there is room for AI to help with art still. I published a DND adventure last year. Im a writer, not an artist, so I used AI to help with artwork.
My take on that is:

Everyone thinks there's room for AI to help when the AI means they don't have to pay a person to do some work.

Nobody likes it when they're the person who isn't getting paid because the AI is doing the job. Could it be you next?* Should you be taking part in the AI revolution at all if you're involved in creative work?

*Rhetorical question, don't tell me if you're actually a plumber and you'd like to see Google Bard unblock a sink.

Edit: on topic, agree entirely with the sentiments expressed elsewhere. Why are we making ai engines that do all the things that we think of as being the best features of humanity, instead of getting it to manage the things that require people to act in a more machine-like way?

Last edited:

*Nightwing

AI is expensive, workin as an artist is enjoying being destitute

Want to make enough you can afford ai to automate your daily chores?

N2Y0Fvb.jpeg

…oh wait AI is taking those jobs too…. Looks like you are destined to do laundry and dishes

thefool

Human excel at labor and finding solutions to expand their outputs, not writing poems.
For her to associate such derivative tasks as some kind of human defining characteristic, only shows she's narrow minded, and easily replaced by an AI.

Last edited:

bitbydeath

Gold Member
Human excel at labor and finding solutions to expand their outputs, not writing poems.
For her to associate such derivative tasks as some kind of human defining characteristic, only shows she's narrow minded.
Almost every job where the human brain is involved could be replaced by AI, that’s what it’s built for, doesn’t matter if you’re an artist, a teacher or a lawyer. Everyone’s days are numbered.

bitbydeath

Gold Member

They don’t iron, fold and put them away.

Ownage

Sora will be a game changer for entertainment as well as IP law. Hollywood should be very nervous and begin prepping their franchises for DLC on platforms such as Sora. I can't wait for ST:TNG, Strike Back or Navy Seals DLC.

The PS8 should be a GenAI box with Sony licensed content for choosing your own adventure.

Last edited:

thefool

Almost every job where the human brain is involved could be replaced by AI, that’s what it’s built for, doesn’t matter if you’re an artist, a teacher or a lawyer. Everyone’s days are numbered.

Any output that put human's lives at risk will always be double checked against human reason, just like how it is today for our incredibly advanced tech society.
She doesn't understand why AI is going for these irrelevant stuff first, its because the output doesn't have a lot of value to the point you can fully replace a human.

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member
You know what's the problem with that? Physical realm.

Making a HARDWARE to do menial tasks is a lot more difficult to making SOFTWARE do the creative one.

Meicyn

Gold Member
You still have to clean the dishes before putting them in the dishwasher.
No you don’t. The dishwasher has a prewash and a wash phase. When you add detergent, you fill the dispenser and close it as you normally do, but you also add an identical amount of detergent outside of the dispenser. This ensures the prewash phase loosens up and removes the majority of gunk on the dishes, and makes the wash phase work better.

hyperbertha

It's a give and take.

In life, a lot of the highest quality stuff comes from robots and AI doing stuff (putting a car or microchip together with laser accuracy). Then there's things using your hands will always beat a computer assuming they got the skill and time to do it (cooking great food vs premade packaged stuff or using a microwave to zap food).

For some people like the tweet, they want stuff like chores around the houses automated (even beyond washing machines and dishwashers already), while leaving time for artsy stuff.

Everyone is different. I prefer if artsy stuff is automated to hell best as possible with human tweaks because it looks like at some point ChatGPT and the gang can churn out stuff insanely fast in seconds. It's an extension of Photoshop where artists use it to do their work on PC instead of paint and canvas. And for lots of chores like mowing the lawn, washing dishes, washing my car etc.... I do it by hand as I can do a better job and enjoy washing my car on my driveway on a weekend instead of a car wash. And doing laundry is so automated already, I dont need it any more automated. The only thing left would be if an AI servant loaded the hopper and added detergent for me. I can spare two minutes doing that myself.
So you prefer robots to do art but want to manually do car washing and lawn moving. There is definitely some angst towards artists somewhere in there lol.

I'm not playing a game or watching a movie without handmade carefully crafted shit.

hyperbertha

Any output that put human's lives at risk will always be double checked against human reason, just like how it is today for our incredibly advanced tech society.
She doesn't understand why AI is going for these irrelevant stuff first, its because the output doesn't have a lot of value to the point you can fully replace a human.
What do you do for a living?

Dr.D00p

When change comes after the lower classes, making millions unemployed, people like this don't give a shit, beyond a few platitudes.

...but when the professional middle classes and above begin to feel the heat of change, debates are started, laws are rewritten, the old boy network kicks in to keep them insulated from it all.

YCoCg

Gold Member
Stop complaining about AI and enjoy [current trend] by AI like (insert show) in the 1950s. Consume your AI slop content!

Alx

There’s no creativity in any of that, it’s all just recycling existing content.
Creativity is overrated.
Seriously, the sad truth that AI is showing us today is that you don’t really need creativity or even a true level of understanding for most of the tasks that people do everyday. Just like some people can go through their career just pretending they know what they’re doing and never get caught, now an AI can do exactly the same except we know it’s just regurgitating stuff.
Sure there is still a need for true creativity to improve the general amount of information available, but it’s minor compared to its exploitation. It’s like in the I Robot movie when Will Smith says to the robot « You can’t compose a symphony » and it answers « I can’t, can you ? »

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Get what you're saying but It's a slippery slope and there's no stopping it now.

I feel for the coming gen.

Jsisto

Disagree. Menial tasks keep us grounded and humble. While it may be a blessing for the most intellectually gifted of us, the majority of people, if relieved of their light duties, would probably just fill the time with things that are detrimental to them.

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com
Did some of you just pretend that laundry machine, dryer, and dishwasher doesn't exist? Soon AI will be just as common and integreted to our lives as seeing toilets in restroom.

*Nightwing

Did some of you just pretend that laundry machine, dryer, and dishwasher doesn't exist?
As a proper internet user, rather than dialog about how being born in softer easier times compounded with a culture of instant gratification breads the lack of perception you allude to, I’ll instead form my own erroneous assumptions believing you are a relic born from the 1870’s and manifest them as fact:
yhoyZQO.jpeg

Lambogenie

You have AI in smart machines that weigh your damn load and more. It's there for her, otherwise get a maid.

Top Bottom