• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGA: How to make Symphony of the Night (GDC Talk)

rjc571

Banned
Ha. I love how people present their opinions as facts. Guacamelee is close. So very, very close. Like, right behind you close.

If SotN had the difficulty of Guacamelee it would be perfect. Fact.

Guacamelee gets difficult? I'm about a third of the way through and I've found the complete lack of challenge to be off-putting.

Guacamelee gets difficult? I'm about a third of the way through and I've found the complete lack of challenge to be off-putting.

Yup. The first part of the game introduces you to the mechanics, one at a time. Then it basically gives you free reign, and expects you to know how to use them.

Do the
extra missions to get the good ending
as well.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Symphony of the Night is not even his game, and the Castlevania metroidvania games he produced were inferior to SOTN and to the 2D Metroid as well.

Father and S.O.N.: IGA talks Metroidvania

Koji Igarashi is not the father/creator of Metroidvania style games.

Symphony of the Night is not even his game, and the Castlevania metroidvania games he produced were inferior to SOTN and to the 2D Metroid as well.

Koji Igarashi is not the father/creator of Metroidvania style games.

I'm sure a lot of Iga fans will disagree and/or will dismiss the comparison of the two games.

It's not as hard as many posts would lead you to believe (I've read many where people just rage quit the game at certain points), but it has an excellent difficulty. There are some tricky platforming sections later on that demand fast reflexes and a good handle of the controls, as well as a 'puzzle' element where you have to figure out how to navigate the area. Also some fights and boss fights are pretty tough, but are never unfair in the slightest. Basically as long as you have a handle on the controls and mechanics, it will never be too hard or too easy. There are some side challenge things that are pretty difficult though. It's a great game though, stick with it and you will be pleasantly surprised by the challenge I think, as it absolutely gets tougher.

On the topic of SOTN, I've only tooled around with it for a little bit, but I've actually sort of gotten myself stuck. I think it's right after the first proper boss fight of the flying bird guy who drops the spear dinosaur, and I can't seem to survive long enough to make it to the next checkpoint after it. The music is great though, and the combat is fairly fun. But all in all it seems like a much more simplified version of Guacameele, even the platforming seems like it's just hopping around little platforms in a castle whose architecture makes literally no sense. Hopefully I can get past this part though, maybe I'll like it more once I've gotten further into it.

I just love people stating opinion as cold, hard fact in threads like these.

I, personally, love IGA's games and hope he managed to go back to making them as long as he feels inspired to do so. Many have tried to make Metroidvania games since but very rarely do I come across one as expertly designed as his works. By "his", I actually mean his team's efforts, of course.

It's not as hard as many posts would lead you to believe (I've read many where people just rage quit the game at certain points), but it has an excellent difficulty. There are some tricky platforming sections later on that demand fast reflexes and a good handle of the controls, as well as a 'puzzle' element where you have to figure out how to navigate the area. Also some fights and boss fights are pretty tough, but are never unfair in the slightest. Basically as long as you have a handle on the controls and mechanics, it will never be too hard or too easy. There are some side challenge things that are pretty difficult though. It's a great game though, stick with it and you will be pleasantly surprised by the challenge I think, as it absolutely gets tougher.

On the topic of SOTN, I've only tooled around with it for a little bit, but I've actually sort of gotten myself stuck. I think it's right after the first proper boss fight of the flying bird guy who drops the spear dinosaur, and I can't seem to survive long enough to make it to the next checkpoint after it. The music is great though, and the combat is fairly fun. But all in all it seems like a much more simplified version of Guacameele, even the platforming seems like it's just hopping around little platforms in a castle whose architecture makes literally no sense. Hopefully I can get past this part though, maybe I'll like it more once I've gotten further into it.

What? There's a save point a floor up just beyond the boss room. Then there's a save point not too far into the long corridors, if you drop down a floor.

silenttwn

Gamasutra said:
An early significant decision was to remove death by falling, a standard of the fairly grueling earlier Castlevania games. ("we hated, hated falling to your death") he says. The game's

Interesting, I never kne

What? There's a save point a floor up just beyond the boss room. Then there's a save point not too far into the long corridors, if you drop down a floor.

Oops I wasn't clear, I made it to the save room just beyond the bossfight but I can't get to the one after that! I can get past the marrionette ladies and get the item that shows how much damage I do, but I either can't make it much beyond the long ass corridor with all those monsters, or go the downwards path where there's some dude that's way too powerful for me to fight. And I can't go backwards to the save point to get more health either.

Oops I wasn't clear, I made it to the save room just beyond the bossfight but I can't get to the one after that! I can get past the marrionette ladies and get the item that shows how much damage I do, but I either can't make it much beyond the long ass corridor with all those monsters, or go the downwards path where there's some dude that's way too powerful for me to fight. And I can't go backwards to the save point to get more health either.
It's been a while since I've played SOTN but this sounds very familiar. I think the next save room is near the other end of the castle? just have to toughen up and play skilfully I guess.

rjc571

Banned

Oh yeah, I've run into some difficult platforming sections already, but they lose their sense of challenge because they're so short and failing them just sends you to the start of the challenge with no negative repercussions. That doesn't really count as "challenge", imo.

Oh yeah, I've run into some difficult platforming sections already, but they lose their sense of challenge because they're so short and failing them just sends you to the start of the challenge with no negative repercussions. That doesn't really count as "challenge", imo.

I actually liked that it just sent you back to the start of the challenge, because I think it would be too frustrating to have to slog through something only to fuck up halfway through a platforming section only to have to go through something again just to get back to that point again where you will probably fail again (because a lot of the platforming sections, at least for me, will have you failing over and over again).

It's been a while since I've played SOTN but this sounds very familiar. I think the next save room is near the other end of the castle? just have to toughen up and play skilfully I guess.

Yeah definitely. I'm not that great at reading the enemy animations quite yet, so I lose a lot of unnecessary health. Like fuck those jumping dwarf things, I have no idea how to get by/kill those things without losing tons of health.

Ha. I love how people present their opinions as facts. Guacamelee is close. So very, very close. Like, right behind you close.

If SotN had the difficulty of Guacamelee it would be perfect. Fact.

What else is it going to be. Do I have to couch every mention of games I like and dislike with IN MY OPINION?

Ludicrous.

An early significant decision was to remove death by falling, a standard of the fairly grueling earlier Castlevania games. ("we hated, hated falling to your death") he says.

This is likely the biggest flaw with the Metroidvania design. It erases any skill / challenge from platforming, which was one of the most important elements of the level design in the pre-IGA Castlevania games. I want a Castlevania game where skillful jumping counts, where jumping can sometimes be a life / death situation.

Also, IGA seems to have missed one of the key design points for Metroid games. That is, that the maps wrap around beautifully in such a way to keep back-tracking to a minimum.

kick51

Banned
between this and the Adam Orth thread, apparently Neogaf knows better than the people running GDC what speakers they should get. and anything that could possibly be negatively construed about a speaker or their history invalidates their worthiness to speak, so the person must be 100% flawless under a microscope.

Top Bottom