• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Immortals of Aveum set to receive HDR and FSR 3 console frame generation (High dynamic range imminent, frame-gen "in just a few short weeks")

JimboJones

What AMD said was that there is a cost to rendering FSR3. Alex ran with it to claim it would require some ultra high end hardware.
He said that cost would mean it would be unlikely to be used which is what we are seeing playing out.

winjer

Gold Member
He said that cost would mean it would be unlikely to be used which is what we are seeing playing out.

It's not used because devs don't want to.
But on PC, there are many GPUs that work with FSR3 with great results.
What DF said about FSr3 being too heavy and requiring AI hardware, was complete bullshit.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not

FuemU1d.gif

You posted a video that doesnt back up your claims.

Last edited:

Zathalus

What DF said about FSr3 being too heavy and requiring AI hardware, was complete bullshit.
I don't recall them saying AI hardware is needed, just that it was heavy.

JimboJones

Yes, presumably because the trade offs arn't worth it or where not factored in during development. They just "don't like it" there is performance implications that would require budget resources for a most likely a subpar experience in most cases.
We still have to see the results here, just because it running doesnt mean kt will be good.

Last edited:

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
For real though, have we got FSR3 frame generation results with 6700/XT class cards? Those games don't feature Radeon's Anti-Lag by default as far as I'm aware so what do they do for the input latency?

winjer

Gold Member
Yes, presumably because the trade offs arn't worth it or where not factored in during development. They just "don't like it" there is performance implications that would require budget resources for a most likely a subpar experience in most cases.
We still have to see the results here, just because it running doesnt mean kt will be good.

Whatever the reasons are, the performance capabilities of consoles is not the real reason, as we can easily see plenty of people with mid range GPUs using FSR3 with good results.
That non-sense that Alex was peddling about FSR3 being too heavy for the PS5, is just that. Non-sense.

winjer

Gold Member
For real though, have we got FSR3 frame generation results with 6700/XT class cards? Those games don't feature Radeon's Anti-Lag by default as far as I'm aware so what do they do for the input latency?

Plenty of videos on youtube, using FSR3 with GPUs that are even lower performance.
And yes, Antilag works with RDNA2. And it basically evens out the input lag from FSR3.
So the 60 fps alone, will feel almost identical to 120 fps with FG. Because both render 60 real fps.
And the same thing happens with 30 fps.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
wym? He says PS5 is a 5700xt and FSR3 is recommended for RX 6000 series.

3pAJ04j.gif

AMDs rec spec is an RX6000+
That's their rec spec he is not wrong about that.

Either you aren't understanding what he is saying, don't understand rec specs or are just being obtuse.

Digital Foundry themselves even have a pretty lengthy video where they compare the PS5 to the RX6700 so clearly they dont believe its a 5700 come on man.

Last edited:

Gaiff

Literally haven't seen one measuring FSR3 frame generation with Anti-Lag+ on mid-tier or lower-end GPUs. The only legitimate tests were conducted early on and there was some fuckery with frame generation, VRR, and vsync.

Last edited:

winjer

Gold Member
Literally haven't seen one measuring FSR3 frame generation with Anti-Lag+ on mid-tier or lower-end GPUs. The only legitimate tests were conducted early on and there was some fuckery with frame generation, VRR, and vsync.

AntiLag+ has been temporarily discontinued.
The AMD overlay has an option to see frame latency.
AncientGamepkays did some tests with that.

Full patch notes:
We’ve got an exciting tech update coming to you in patch 1.0.6.4 on May 24, 2024. Immortals of Aveum™ is the first game to implement AMD FidelityFX™ Super Resolution 3 (FSR 3) on PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X|S! Console and PC players alike can now take advantage of FSR 3’s super resolution temporal upscaling, advanced frame generation, and built-in latency reduction technology to boost framerates and game performance. This update also extends FSR 3 support for Variable Refresh Rate (VRR) monitors and TVs on all platforms AND rolls out HDR (high dynamic range) on PC.

Now all Immortals of Aveum players can enjoy better quality visuals, improved framerates, and improved game performance on an even broader set of hardware thanks to AMD FSR 3 and our incredibly talented partners at Enduring Games. Read more about today’s update in this blog post.

As always, we’re grateful to each and every player who has spent time in Aveum. It’s your love for this game that fuels our studio. Please keep sharing your feedback, thoughts, and suggestions!
Key Updates:
  • Immortals of Aveum is now running AMD FidelityFX™ Super Resolution 3 (FSR 3) on PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X|S, and PC!
    • FSR 3 uses a combination of super resolution temporal upscaling technology and advanced frame generation to deliver smoother framerates, better image quality, and improved game performance.
  • On PC, AMD FSR 3 has been updated to a newer, better version which further improves visual quality and performance of its temporal upscaling.
  • On console and PC, the FSR 3 update also extends support for Variable Refresh Rate (VRR) monitors and TVs, which can improve frame pacing to help reduce judder or screen tears
  • HDR (high dynamic range) support is now available on PC to enhance players’ gaming experience with more detailed and realistic visuals. HDR arrived on consoles in the previous game update, patch 1.0.6.3.
    • Temporary Workaround: When relaunching the game, toggle HDR to ‘off’ > save settings > toggle HDR to ‘on’ > save settings
    • HDR is set to ‘off’ by default and can be adjusted in the Graphics menu.
    • Known Issue: After the user sets HDR to ‘on’, closing and relaunching the game causes HDR Mode to turn ‘off’ while the toggle button continues to display ‘on’. We’re working to release a hot fix for this as quickly as possible.
Console Updates:
  • New display settings have been added on PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X|S, allowing players to toggle frame generation and V-Sync selections.
PC Updates:
  • Fixed an audio bug when switching language settings in game. The game will now apply the correct audio voice over for the selected language.
  • Updated to NVIDIA DLSS 3.7 and NVIDIA Streamline 2.4 which can help further improve image quality and game performance for PCs utilizing the latest NVIDIA RTX GPUs.
  • Fixed a rare issue with NVIDIA cards that could cause the game to crash when using Alt+Tab.
Misc. Changes & Minor Fixes:
  • Addressed minor bugs and progression blockers
  • Addressed instances of occasional crashes
  • Minor addition of localized text

JaksGhost

Very curious to see how framegen performs.
It essentially doubles the frame rate but it’s still all over the place. If you have a VRR enabled TV you can tell the difference since it doesn’t leave the window during combat unlike before. My LG QNED85 is now reading 120fps from my PS5. I can’t tell you anything on image quality because I’m no expert there.

Last edited:

omegasc

It essentially doubles the frame rate but it’s still all over the place. If you have a VRR enabled TV you can tell the difference since it doesn’t leave the window during combat unlike before. My LG QNED85 is now reading 120fps from my PS5. I can’t tell you anything on image quality because I’m no expert there.
Nice that you can turn Frame Gen on and off on the fly. Standing still in a 64fps avg scene went up to 100, and I tested other scenes with similar results. But even without it, performance seems to be a lot higher than before, which might be due to UE5 optimization as pointed by the dev.
I'd say this is a great start, and would love to see it getting patched on other games.

Last edited:

Darsxx82

I captured the images after the update and compared it.
I don't know the cause, but the XSX version remains soft as before.
Are there any settings (resolution, texture, and Lod?) that are different?
Left: XSX, Right: PS5
dyKGCjC.png
eM4rlDH.jpg
5RldTQX.png
nZknJR5.png
OHcRGnV.png
RkMWMrw.png
There is a problem in XSX with LOD that is rare.

I tried the game update and at first I thought that situation had been solved but I went back to the area I retraced my steps and realized that the giant poster had lost its clarity and the same with the small posters..

You simply have to get closer and focus 2 second your vision and suddenly everything regains its clarity and remains sharp. There is no difference in textures, just in XSX something goes wrong inexplicably with the LOD.

The fact is that in the following areas it does not seem that this error is present or perhaps it is not appreciated as long as you do not see those advertising posters that remind you of it.

Last edited:

Skifi28

Gold Member
The latency increase is waaaay too obvious, it's not very playable for an FPS. The good news is that the regular mode seems much closer to 60fps than before. The bad news is that's it's still a terrible game, I gave up again after an hour or so. Everything about it feels like it was made by AI with minimum human input.

winjer

Gold Member
The latency increase is waaaay too obvious, it's not very playable for an FPS. The good news is that the regular mode seems much closer to 60fps than before. The bad news is that's it's still a terrible game, I gave up again after an hour or so. Everything about it feels like it was made by AI with minimum human input.

Are they using Frame Generation to go from 60 to 120 fps. Or to go from 30 to 60 fps?

Skifi28

Gold Member
Are they using Frame Generation to go from 60 to 120 fps. Or to go from 30 to 60 fps?
From 60. Well, more like 45-60. Now that I think about it Vsync could have also made things worse for me, but PS5 doesn't recognise my monitor as VRR so I can't do much about that unfortunately.

winjer

Gold Member
From 60. Well, more like 45-60. Now that I think about it Vsync could have also made things worse for me, but PS5 doesn't recognise my monitor as VRR so I can't do much about that unfortunately.

That is strange.
On PC, we can use Antilag. And this mitigates the increase in latency, as long as the base frame rate is the same.
And we can also force r.OneFrameThreadLag in UE games.

Skifi28

Gold Member
That is strange.
On PC, we can use Antilag. And this mitigates the increase in latency, as long as the base frame rate is the same.
And we can also force r.OneFrameThreadLag in UE games.
Can't say I've played any game with FS3 on PC, but with DLSS 3 at least the latency increase is almost unnoticeable unless you drop to below 70fps and even then it's not as terrible as I expected. Cyberpunk with PT would sometimes drop to 55fps and while the latency was noticeable, it was still quite playable.

winjer

Gold Member
Can't say I've played any game with FS3 on PC, but with DLSS 3 at least the latency increase is almost unnoticeable unless you drop to below 70fps and even then it's not as terrible as I expected. Cyberpunk with PT would sometimes drop to 55fps and while the latency was noticeable, it was still quite playable.

DLSS FG has Reflex, that also reduces latency.

I'm not sure why the devs didn't implement AntiLag, or something similar for the console version.

Gaiff

DLSS FG has Reflex, that also reduces latency.

I'm not sure why the devs didn't implement AntiLag, or something similar for the console version.
I imagine it's a different ballgame. If I'm not mistaken, anti-lag is implemented at the driver level and Sony and Microsoft are very strict on what they do and do not allow. I recall reading somewhere a while ago that getting patches to be certified on consoles is much more difficult than on PC and there's even a limit to how many patches a dev can release in total or per year. I don't exactly remember.

Whatever the case, it probably has something to do with the implementation of the feature which is done at a lower level than frame generation. People were getting banned in Counter-Strike 2 for having anti-lag+ enabled.

winjer

Gold Member
I imagine it's a different ballgame. If I'm not mistaken, anti-lag is implemented at the driver level and Sony and Microsoft are very strict on what they do and do not allow. I recall reading somewhere a while ago that getting patches to be certified on consoles is much more difficult than on PC and there's even a limit to how many patches a dev can release in total or per year. I don't exactly remember.

Whatever the case, it probably has something to do with the implementation of the feature which is done at a lower level than frame generation. People were getting banned in Counter-Strike 2 for having anti-lag+ enabled.

Yes, AntiLag is implemented at driver level.
But it tries to do the same thing, which is to reduce the time between rendering stages, as to have less time between the player input and when a frame appears on screen.
Antilag is somewhat limited because it's only driver level, so it can't do as much as Reflex or AntiLag2.
These later solutions can affect the whole rendering pipeline and have better results.
But since these are just tweaks about how the rendering pipeline works, it can be implemented by any dev. Just not using the nvidia or AMD SDKs.
For example, try using the cvar r.OneFrameThreadLag=1 on any Unreal Engine game, and you will notice a significant improvement to input latency.

winjer

Gold Member

BTW, Daniel Owen said that he only noticed a significant increase in latency when he turned off VRR and the TV set to 60HZ.
Could this be what is causing your problems with latency?

Skifi28

Gold Member
BTW, Daniel Owen said that he only noticed a significant increase in latency when he turned off VRR and the TV set to 60HZ.
Could this be what is causing your problems with latency?
I believe I was running at 120 with Vsync on, but I'll check again later after work. Didn't really test it much to be honest.

Bojji

Every game that already have 60fps mode can have unlocked frame rate up to 120fps with fsr3. I hope more developers try this stuff on consoles.

It's better than I expected.

Darsxx82

What does this mean if we don't have a VRR TV? Do I see benefits from turn it on and should I disable vsync? PS5 version here.
You achieve a more solid framerate at 60fps when you activate FS3 framegen but with a little more artifacts in the image when moving and a very slight extra lag in controller response compared to normal mode.... In general it is preferable to activate it in my opinion.

Of course, without TV VRR only the Vsync on options are acceptable.

Top Bottom