• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indie Game Development Discussion Thread | Of Being Professionally Poor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Team shopkeepers assembled:
qbX7uMf.gif
Whoa whoa whoa... Nsfw buddy. Seriously though, looks fantastic. Tons of character, great style.

F-Pina

Thanks! We're a team of 3 people for Hollow Knight: myself, william the coder and rohan, who's another artist we're hoping can join the project if the kickstarter is successful.

i've done the art and animation that's in the trailers so far, but i should note even william is a pretty great animator as well! it means he can implement a lot of stuff without having to come to me for additional assets. i just tidy things up a bit afterwards.

it also helps that he understands timing really well, so he gives everything a very nice feel.

Fantastic. It really looks like you guys have been working hard on this.
And it seems like the Kickstarter goal will be met.
Good luck with finishing and getting it on sale.

AriEX2

Fantastic. It really looks like you guys have been working hard on this.
And it seems like the Kickstarter goal will be met.
Good luck with finishing and getting it on sale.

Thanks F-Pina! Here's a new promo image:

The Hollow Knight overlooking Hallownest. Look at that tiny little guy.

_machine

Team shopkeepers assembled:
qbX7uMf.gif
Haha that looks hilarious!
Bit of a #screenshotsaturday for our game Shattered. Short description: It's a twin stick shooter with lots of weapons and puzzle solving (puzzle solving not shown!)

Let me know what you think!
I really like the look and the colours and the UI looks really beautiful, though I think the movement looks a bit jerky and sudden. And as Blizzard said, the name could be a bit of an issue in terms of visibility.

Curious if anyone knows if a game combining mario galaxy physics and planets with counterstrike style multiplayer shooting? It's something I am messing with as a prototype , I have no idea how it will turn out but the idea might be just crazy enough to work :)

I have decided that rather than make a game I think could be popular or following the latest ios trends I am just going to build a game for myself. Since I am primarily a fps player that's the area I want to focus on.

I have learnt a lot of the last few years through the help of some amazing assets and starter kits, and I have explored tons of different genres, but I tend to find I just don't find them fun enough. From turn based to tower defense to small ios mini games i always get burn out and realise these are not typically the game a I have fun with in real life.

So lesson to everyone , make a game you want to play and don't follow the trends :)

I don't consider my time wasted in anyway as this is just a hobby to me and I have learnt so much from trying all these different genres. Here's hoping my next one will go beyond my prototype stage :)

Curious if anyone knows if a game combining mario galaxy physics and planets with counterstrike style multiplayer shooting? It's something I am messing with as a prototype , I have no idea how it will turn out but the idea might be just crazy enough to work :)

I have decided that rather than make a game I think could be popular or following the latest ios trends I am just going to build a game for myself. Since I am primarily a fps player that's the area I want to focus on.

I have learnt a lot of the last few years through the help of some amazing assets and starter kits, and I have explored tons of different genres, but I tend to find I just don't find them fun enough. From turn based to tower defense to small ios mini games i always get burn out and realise these are not typically the game a I have fun with in real life.

So lesson to everyone , make a game you want to play and don't follow the trends :)

I don't consider my time wasted in anyway as this is just a hobby to me and I have learnt so much from trying all these different genres. Here's hoping my next one will go beyond my prototype stage :)
That concept sounds amazing, i think you should go for it even if someone else is doing it. Doing something original might be riskier, but i feel youll gain more respect in the long run.

GulAtiCa

Does anyone here to graphic work or know anyone that might? I'm looking for someone to redo my game's assets on the Wii U's store to help better represent what the game is like. Talking about my game, http://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/M2nD8pUolC4l5ktUCawdaZ3C1p5dJEHe on the Wii U.

Here are some examples of what I need re-designed. (a lot of them are of similar sizes at different widths/heights)

Gpd.jpeg
icn.jpeg
UnT.jpeg

As you can see, they are horrible. Cause I had no idea what I was doing when making these game assets for the eShop store, since I never did this before haha.

I'd like to find someone to make unique/better asset images that better represent what the game is. A Tower Defense game set in space. Wouldn't need to use the same game art/etc. Anything that just gets the point across or so.

Odd. So... yeah.. Android.

When I update my build through the Play store they crash on my Phone within 15 secs. Even in a blank scene. Tablet works fine, tho.

Now when I install the APK directly... works perfect. No crashes on any of my phones. Tablet works fine.

I have many confused :(

Edit: I'm about to start punching things.
Edit2: Apparently I'm not the only one with this issue, wow.
Edit3: After rolling through every crash log I just about threw my hands up. However, creating a new keystore and a new app com.x.x apparently fixed it.

This is stupid. No code changed. Just a new signature and new com. Others also say that several other Google services are mysteriously vanishing or being reset somehow which would explain why my analytics flat out deleted itself last week which has been a thing for users for a few months now.

Does anyone here to graphic work or know anyone that might? I'm looking for someone to redo my game's assets on the Wii U's store to help better represent what the game is like. Talking about my game, http://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/M2nD8pUolC4l5ktUCawdaZ3C1p5dJEHe on the Wii U.

Here are some examples of what I need re-designed. (a lot of them are of similar sizes at different widths/heights)

Gpd.jpeg
icn.jpeg
UnT.jpeg

As you can see, they are horrible. Cause I had no idea what I was doing when making these game assets for the eShop store, since I never did this before haha.

I'd like to find someone to make unique/better asset images that better represent what the game is. A Tower Defense game set in space. Wouldn't need to use the same game art/etc. Anything that just gets the point across or so.

I could have helped but im busy right now :(
Still I can give you some tips.

Do you want to still use that font type or are you inclined to change it? I think much of the problem about the logo is the boring font you have used. Watching your game done by crayons is like a kid drawing a space adventure, something that the logo doesn't represent very well.
I would find a cool sace type font, but still simple enough, and instead of just using the font, I would draw it all by hand and with crayons, with some type of perspective maybe, and then scan it. Could look pretty cool.

Same with the fighters, try drawing a fighter with crayons like a kid would, instead of using the assets, and then scan it. Something like a kid trying to copy the fighter on the star fox 64 cover art mixing it with some star wars because he things its cool. Of course everything very simple, and using yellow only like the one in your logo.
The planet below I think needs to stay if it represents ZaciSa, even in the horizontal banner.

Would have tried making you something like that If I had more time, sorry :( but I hope at least I can help you with the tips.

Dewfreak83

Neo Member

F-Pina

So we did it, it's coming to mobile.
iPad, iPhone, tablets, smartphones, etc. We included a huge magnifying glass on this version so that it's easier to pick up items and search for them.

jN9HW1udIDJ87_xs.jpg

It supports Game Center and Play with achievements and leaderboards.
Right now it's waiting review from Apple which probably will only happen next year.

GulAtiCa

I could have helped but im busy right now :(
Still I can give you some tips.

Do you want to still use that font type or are you inclined to change it? I think much of the problem about the logo is the boring font you have used. Watching your game done by crayons is like a kid drawing a space adventure, something that the logo doesn't represent very well.
I would find a cool sace type font, but still simple enough, and instead of just using the font, I would draw it all by hand and with crayons, with some type of perspective maybe, and then scan it. Could look pretty cool.

Same with the fighters, try drawing a fighter with crayons like a kid would, instead of using the assets, and then scan it. Something like a kid trying to copy the fighter on the star fox 64 cover art mixing it with some star wars because he things its cool. Of course everything very simple, and using yellow only like the one in your logo.
The planet below I think needs to stay if it represents ZaciSa, even in the horizontal banner.

Would have tried making you something like that If I had more time, sorry :( but I hope at least I can help you with the tips.

Thanks for the tips. Though, given I made it bad in first place, I wouldn't trust myself for a redesign haha.

So going to put my feelers out there for someone that could possibly make something better.

Turfster

Unity can be such an infuriating pain sometimes.
Upgrading a 4.3.4 project to 4.6 for the UI, and apparently, between 4.3.4 and 4.5, enormous changes took place in the physics implementation, because with exactly the same project and exactly the same code, things that gently drifted across the screen with rigidbody.AddForce suddenly flash past always too fast to see... and the internet isn't giving me anything concrete to fix it.

Love the art style here. Interesting enough - when I looked at your pixel art, those characters also look like they are made out of stained glass - that intentionally?
Yup. I still don't know how Joe really manages it, but the whole game looks more or less like it's stained glass.

They look really great, and I love how well they correspond to the pixel art style. Great write up on your blog too!
Thanks for the read!

Unity can be such an infuriating pain sometimes.
Upgrading a 4.3.4 project to 4.6 for the UI, and apparently, between 4.3.4 and 4.5, enormous changes took place in the physics implementation, because with exactly the same project and exactly the same code, things that gently drifted across the screen with rigidbody.AddForce suddenly flash past always too fast to see... and the internet isn't giving me anything concrete to fix it.
Rigidbodies were horribly broken in 4.3. They were fixed to work in 4.5.x so code them like you are supposed to and all will be good. You'll have to go back and change any velocities to reflect the updates.

Also, MAKE SURE YOU INSTALL NEW VERSIONS OF UNITY IN NEW FOLDERS AND NEVER DIRECTLY OPEN YOUR PROJECT IN NEW UNITY UNLESS IT IS A COPY. That is all.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
I've probably mentioned this already but if anyone would like to take the reigns on the new Indie game thread (as we're only a few hundred away from needing one), go for it, as a lot of the OP probably needs revising or a new type of layout or OP altogether. Just let me know. :D

Turfster

Rigidbodies were horribly broken in 4.3. They were fixed to work in 4.5.x so code them like you are supposed to and all will be good. You'll have to go back and change any velocities to reflect the updates.
Some kind of official acknowledgment and information about how to adjust your values to get the same result in one go without tons of experimentation would be nice =p

Some kind of official acknowledgment and information about how to adjust your values to get the same result in one go without tons of experimentation would be nice =p
You can write a custom script that searches for all pertinent values and reduces by a % during play mode then write a separate editor script that extends inspector functionality and allows saving during play mode (I do this for transforms). Would be faster to edit them by hand since you'd have to name all of them :p

BONUS TIP: Aside from keeping multiple installs of Unity - KEEP ALL THE INSTALLERS FOR EACH VERSION in case your HDD goes south.
bonus tip 2: Never update ANYTHING mid production unless absolutely necessary. You can get away with chop, audio programs but not IDEs. Stick with what you have.

My old programmer made that mistake early this year and jumped to 4.5. So I now only have 4.5 and 4.6.

Edit: I'm not being mean. Just welcoming you to my previous pain :D

I've probably mentioned this already but if anyone would like to take the reigns on the new Indie game thread (as we're only a few hundred away from needing one), go for it, as a lot of the OP probably needs revising or a new type of layout or OP altogether. Just let me know. :D
I'll bite if I can hop on it after Christmas. I can try getting it done earlier but its up to you.

Edit: I might squeeze a day or two this week, if needed.

Turfster

BONUS TIP: Aside from keeping multiple installs of Unity - KEEP ALL THE INSTALLERS FOR EACH VERSION in case your HDD goes south.
bonus tip 2: Never update ANYTHING mid production unless absolutely necessary. You can get away with chop, audio programs but not IDEs. Stick with what you have.
This isn't my first rodeo ;)
I'm just trying to quickly brush up an old published game to fix some of the horrifying problems old GUI caused with the various android resolutions.

Also, the Unity download page offers older installers up (down?) until 3.4

This isn't my first rodeo ;)
I'm just trying to quickly brush up an old published game to fix some of the horrifying problems old GUI caused with the various android resolutions.

Whoa - did not know that about the downloads!

I figured you'd been there but yeah - 4.3 was seriously broke with Rigidbody. At least I can say our main character used custom physics but we did use RB for a few projectiles so it wasn't that big of a mess - still frustrating - but if that was your go-to physics then yeah :(

I feel your pain :(

Unless they changed it recently, you could actually use the FTP directory (or just change the URL) and get versions as far back as 2.0. :p

I still keep my installers, though (especially beta versions) as they don't tend to keep older betas around after they push a new "approved" version.

Sàmban

Banned
Bit of a #screenshotsaturday for our game Shattered. Short description: It's a twin stick shooter with lots of weapons and puzzle solving (puzzle solving not shown!)

Teleporters are stupid fun. Especially when projectiles go through them!
GlTMSta.gif

Weapon Combos: Detonate Bombs + AoE
CKLQMJF.gif

This is an awesome in-game level select we did for our first live demo.
SR47eAt.gif

This is me stress testing the Splitter weapon. Maintains 60fps, as long as it's in release (and not debug :p )
6900peP.gif

Let me know what you think!

Looks very nice, but looks very similar to Hyperlight Drifter.

For the new thread:

OK, devs. I have a pretty solid grasp of what everyone here uses for their preferred platform and will be listing them ahead of not-as-popular tools.

For the record, the starting lineup (no particular order) looks like:
Stencyl
Unity
GameMaker
Construct2
RPG Maker

Any other notables on top?

Blizzard

Banned
For the new thread:

OK, devs. I have a pretty solid grasp of what everyone here uses for their preferred platform and will be listing them ahead of not-as-popular tools.

For the record, the starting lineup (no particular order) looks like:
Stencyl
Unity
GameMaker
Construct2
RPG Maker

Any other notables on top?
I would say Unreal Engine 4 is pretty notable and pretty cheap.

Awesome, just got Greenlit! :D

Now, time to not leave my computer for half a year while I make a game.
How did you get greenlit before making a game? Do you mean greenlight out of the concepts section? (I'm sort of unfamiliar with how it works)

Kritz

Banned
How did you get greenlit before making a game? Do you mean greenlight out of the concepts section? (I'm sort of unfamiliar with how it works)

I have a playable alpha of my game up on my site, but in my opinion, the game kinda sucks at the moment. Maybe it's not in the spirit of Greenlight, but I wanted to guarantee that I have a release platform before dedicating a lot of time and energy on a project. Which would have been a much harder sell if I didn't already have progress to show off, I think. But, yeah, I'm basically just rolling dice and seeing how they land. This whole process is still a mystery to me.

I would say Unreal Engine 4 is pretty notable and pretty cheap.

There's a list of tools on the first post. The FP should definitely be updated to add UE4 and how it's different from UDK. I've been using UE4; very good engine that's well on its way to become a fantastic one.

Snarge, your game looks sweet!

GulAtiCa

I'm just using HTML5. lol.

But, I'm not so sure how much of a web-based game store market there is outside of the Wii U (which allows for HTML5 games).

snarge: That looks awesome btw!

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
Just FYI, there's an (awesome) game on Steam already called "Shatter", and 3 other games that are "Shattered [something]", so you may end up with a bit of name conflict if you're selling there.

Not to mention that "Shatter" is trademarked, and the company in question has defended that mark at least twice now ;)

Though the bigger problem in my mind is the market issue with the other similarly named games out there anyway.

Hey, thanks :)
I only went into submission last night - really cutting it fine. I don't think I'll get through in time.

We submitted 7 iOS updates for games all through last week (the oldest 10 days ago). I expect some of it will get through but not all of it.

This is a really useful site for estimating your potential submission queue times, though in "special" times like now it becomes less accurate http://appreviewtimes.com/

Keep an eye on the raw data though day to day and you'll get a sense for what your chances are.

_machine

Awesome, just got Greenlit! :D

Now, time to not leave my computer for half a year while I make a game.
Congrats!

We're still quite some ways off from being Greenlit (next time we'll definitely think a bit more about reaching virality with the game), but I also think we probably should've built the community longer and gone there with a more complete game. Right now a lot of the game is still heavily under development, but I'm not sure we communicated that so well.

Anyways, if there are people haven't voted yet, feel free to do it so here: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=341125897 and comment/favorite/share/follow if you want to :)

Kritz

Banned
Congrats!

We're still quite some ways off from being Greenlit (next time we'll definitely think a bit more about reaching virality with the game), but I also think we probably should've built the community longer and gone there with a more complete game. Right now a lot of the game is still heavily under development, but I'm not sure we communicated that so well.

Anyways, if there are people haven't voted yet, feel free to do it so here: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=341125897 and comment/favorite/share/follow if you want to :)

The whole process feels like 90% luck, 10% more luck. I essentially contributed nothing to my greenlight's success, and in fact I'm probably still just cruising along thanks to the pewdiepie momentum from 3 months ago.

I feel like the only thing I consciously did with the greenlight was to make my gameplay video incredibly short. I don't expect users to hang on a video for more than a couple of seconds, so I wanted to make something incredibly punchy at the risk of being a little vague and messy. In 13 seconds of video I tried to show mechanics, the controls, and tone of the game. It's not much, but I felt like it probably helped a little bit.

I'm dramatically uninformed to be giving any kind of advice. But, still, your game looks amazing, and your release date seems to be far off enough that you have plenty of time to build an audience.

snarge

I just saw this pop up on my twitter: http://sortingh.at/

Wish you could make games but have no idea how you'd get started? Have you never coded a day in your life and feel overwhelmed trying to teach yourself? Can't draw anything beyond stick figures? Overwhelmed and don't know what questions to even ask? You're in luck!

Sortingh.at is a tool that will give you personalized resources to help you get started making your first game, custom tailored to what you're actually making.

Most people here are already blazing trails and experienced, but occasionally, I see a few posts asking "how to get started?" Looks like this may help.

UE4 added to my list for next OT.

I want to hear everyone's thread name suggestions! What should OT2 be named?

Indie Game Development |OT2|
Pixels for the Poor
Help for Making Thing
All Your Pixels Are Belong Inside
Making Dreams A Reality
Developer PvP Inside!
Hype Not Included

Give me more! Share your suggestions, thoughts, dreams and hopes so I can crush them!

AriEX2

Yo Indie GAF! Hollow Knight is now over its Kickstarter funding goal and heading through its stretch goals with 58 hours left on the campaign!

Just wanted to say a huge thank you to everyone in this thread who's supported the game, and I'm mega-excited to be able to make it!

No game pics today (more tomorrow!), but here's a design from one of the screen prints that a bunch of backers will receive:

print_example_smaller_zpsf4cb92b6.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom