• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Infamous: Second Son Update Incoming: Change Time of Day, HUD Off, 30FPS Option

i-Lo

Unlocked frame rate increases response time of the controls....

Locked = Better image (no screen tearing) / Worst controller response time
Unlocked = Worst image (screen tearing) / Better response time

It is a trade in/out... advantages and disadvantages.

I prefer always unlocked even on PC.

Locked= Constant controller response time.
Unlocked= Variable controller response time that can be greater, same or less than locked depending on moment to moment framerate variation.

ethomaz

Banned
This update makes me happy, I was playing this two nights ago and the judder was driving me insane.

I'll never get why devs do variable framerates but at least include the option to lock it down from the start please.
Better response times from the controllers with variable framerates... better gameplay... that's why devs choose it.

Locked= Constant controller response time.
Unlocked= Variable controller response time that can be greater, same or less than locked depending on moment to moment framerate variation.
If it go below 30fps to have less controller response... it will go with locked framerate too.

If you have a game that is locked 30fps never going below it then you have only better controller response if you put it unlocked.

I prefer a game variable between 30-45fps than a locked 30fps but a long shot.

Shin-Ra

Second son doesn't have a dynamic lighting system, the whole thing is a cheat where they rendered a great deal of the way lighting and shadows occur in the world ahead of time, thus making a dynamic system impossible.
Well the next PS4 firmware update allows Twitch streaming. I was waiting for the 30 FPS locked patch, so now I think I am going to have to do my evil/expert playthrough live on Twitch!
I think these posts are April Fools'.

Better response times from the controllers with variable framerates... better gameplay... that's why devs choose it.
My experiences have been exactly the opposite. If the framerate is variable then I no longer know what the timing is for my button presses. The console version of C:LoS was incredibly frustrating for that exact reason.

Pimpwerx

Wow! Those are three of the most popular requests. Pretty cool. Will they also start making changes to the final power? Maybe flesh it out better? Hell, I'd also like a New Game+ feature. But this update would be awesome anyway. PEACE.

ethomaz

Banned
My experiences have been exactly the opposite. If the framerate is variable then I no longer know what the timing is for my button presses. The console version of C:LoS was incredibly frustrating for that exact reason.
Well I didn't tried C:LoS but Killzone and BioShock Infinite plays better unlocked.

Marvel

could never
Always wanted no HUD, I have so many awesome screenshots just ruined by it.

Sucker Punch doing work! gj.

psychotron

Well the next PS4 firmware update allows Twitch streaming. I was waiting for the 30 FPS locked patch, so now I think I am going to have to do my evil/expert playthrough live on Twitch!

I think these posts are April Fools'.

20 days ago.

"and will also be adding the ability for Twitch broadcasts to be archived"

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2014...pdate-to-add-share-enhancements-and-hdcp-off/

Skybald said "Twitch streaming", not "archiving". Shin-Ra responded to what was actually written, not what was meant to be written. Nobody is questioning that archiving is coming, but that isn't what was written, lol.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
Now this is a team that understands the power of the share button. Gamers are going to take about a million beautiful screenshots now and do all the promotion for them. All they have to do is sit back and watch.

Well I didn't tried C:LoS but Killzone and BioShock Infinite plays better unlocked.
It probably depends a lot on whether or not the game uses combos or timed reflex actions. SS isn't really that type of game either but it still was more distracting than I was expecting it to be.

I haven't played BI yet but I felt that Killzone looked better unlocked but played better locked down, at least IMO.

ChrisW

Holy crap this is amazing, please don't be an April fools joke!

I really hope this comes within the next month!

Theecliff

Banned
If this means the annoying aiming dot will ONLY be shown if i actually pressed L2 and aimed.. then YEEEEEEESSSSS :D !
You could make the reticule disappear by meleeing and then not touching the right stick. Did this for a lot of shots I've taken, but it was a bit fiddly to get everything into position.

Thank god they we can completely turn off the HUD for shots now though! Makes life much easier and landscape shots that much nicer.

tensuke

Oh, yay! I hope it's the entire HUD. Playing without it is glorious. Been saving another playthrough for when Paper Trail stuff is fully released, but I'll jump back in as soon as this hits if it comes first.

BigDug13

It's becoming harder and harder to justify to myself playing through a game on day 1 when there are patches that change or enhance the experience that come later. Still love this game, but I really hate this trend.

The $60 day 1 buyer gets a worse game experience in their playthrough than the guy waiting 3 months for the game to go on sale.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Will the time of day be a 'select from a few presets we've baked in'? Don't really mind, just curious.

And I hope that 30fps lock becomes standard on at least Sony first party games.

hohoXD123

It's becoming harder and harder to justify to myself playing through a game on day 1 when there are patches that change or enhance the experience that come later. Still love this game, but I really hate this trend.

The $60 day 1 buyer gets a worse game experience in their playthrough than the guy waiting 3 months for the game to go on sale.

This trend of listening to consumer feedback? I welcome it.

sajj316

Nice .. I like the option for capped 30 fps on KZ: Shadowfall. It made the experience for Remote Play a bit better.

Agent X

Gold Member
The time of DAT option should be a great addition. I'd like to see it implemented the same way as in Burnout Paradise, where you can choose realtime (24 hours) or accelerated progression, along with an option to match the actual current time.

BigDug13

This trend of listening to consumer feedback? I welcome it.

On that part I'm happy with. But after Killzone, was it not obvious to them that things like "frame limiter on/off" needs to be standard in frame unlocked games? Do they not realize until after a game releases that one of the most gorgeous games so far this generation needs to be able to lose the HUD?

I really hope Sony is getting the hint here. But the experience was still cheapened for the day 1 fan.

Listening to feedback from retail buyers and making big changes to your game. That means you were a $60 beta tester doing a job to enhance the experience for the $40 penny pinching gamer.

Owwww this is good for someone like me who hasn't yet purchased the game. (Waiting for a sale, don't judge me).

Sadly if this was available at launch, it probably would of affected a lot of reviews since stuff like this was at one point, deemed impossible.

dreamfall

Neon at night, that what I'll be most excited about revisiting!

I love that they're adding these options, this is brilliant.

I don't mind the unlocked framerate at all, I was pleasantly surprised at how smooth the game was and didn't experience any juddering.

Was the experience really that bad for the rest of you?

Vashetti

Banned
I don't mind the unlocked framerate at all, I was pleasantly surprised at how smooth the game was and didn't experience any juddering.

Was the experience really that bad for the rest of you?

It's really bad having an unlocked framerate when using Remote Play with the Vita.

Endo Punk

Excellent. Really fun game and I'm glad SP are listening. Will wait for the patch before I go for the good playthrough.

Vashetti

Banned
Can you guys all go over to the PS Blog and mention that the final power needs improving?

It's so half-baked. If enough of us make noise they will pay attention.

eso76

I can only imagine this will make the game hugely popular in that next gen screenshots thread.

Wait..

Top Bottom