• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 5

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Is there anyway of transfering a iMovie projekt on my macbook air to the camera roll on my iPhone 5?

I cant understand why this is so hard to implement into the iOS. only way for me to transfer a imovie projekt is either to my iTunes, youtube, vimeo or media player on Macbook air.....

I need the video file to show up in the Camera roll as I need to be able to use it on instagram

iOS iMovie can import projects from iTunes.

Futureman

graphite 5S
possible 128 GB version
better camera, Larger LED flash.
who knows, maybe faster Wifi and other stuff as well.

meh. I hope they kept somethin under wraps. Seems pretty underwhelming, and Apple took a lot of shit last year for not changing things up that much even when they increased the screen size. I guess iOS 7 is the best part of this new phone.

mrkgoo

meh. I hope they kept somethin under wraps. Seems pretty underwhelming, and Apple took a lot of shit last year for not changing things up that much even when they increased the screen size. I guess iOS 7 is the best part of this new phone.

Pretty much.

Been listening to the discussion on this topic on MacBreak Weekly - the need to innovate often vs/ "they are, they just not showing it yet".

I'm extremely happy with my iPhone 5, but am excited for iOS7 asnd MAvericks this year.

Suen

So when I'm in the Messages app (or is it called iMessage? whatever) sending messages back and forth works pretty fine, sending pictures used to work fine as well. Right now whenever I try to open a picture in the conversation by touching it it shows the picture being loaded....and it just keep loading and loading and ends up doing nothing. I mean it can keep loading for five minutes without any result ......and this includes pictures I have on my damn phone that I'm sending myself. What's the problem?

kottila

Going to pickup an iPhone 5S in the next week. So I have to know iPhone5-GAF, are these reviews the truth? Is the lightning adapter a POS?

One of mine seems to have corroded as there is a green spot in the middle. It now only works if that side is up

Edit: Misread the post, it's my charger that's been acting up. The adapter is fine, but I don't use it that much

sangreal

Going to pickup an iPhone 5S in the next week. So I have to know iPhone5-GAF, are these reviews the truth? Is the lightning adapter a POS?

the adapter is a pos yes, but those reviews are for the usb cable which is fine

I actually much prefer it to microusb. It's easier to put in and doesn't fall out. I did have one die on me though (corroded or something). Now I buy the amazonbasics one for like $10

SuperPac

I have 4 of these cables and haven't had one crap out on me yet. Definitely not in the manner a lot of these reviews describe. I much prefer the Lightning adapter to any other dock/USB connector because it's a lot easier to hook in in the dark/without looking.

lupinko

I have 4 of these cables and haven't had one crap out on me yet. Definitely not in the manner a lot of these reviews describe. I much prefer the Lightning adapter to any other dock/USB connector because it's a lot easier to hook in in the dark/without looking.

I concur, not to jinx myself but the lightning cables I have have fared better than any of the old 30 pin connectors in terms of durability, though I've had so many 30 pins that I don't know how many of them were actually from Apple as opposed to random 3rd party cables. All of my lightning cables are from Apple.

Talon

Haven't had a single problem with either of mine.

Seems like a couple of these are "why aren't these $1 a pop" and "this is too short, I need to be able to charge from Canada to Mexico" sort of reviews, though.

So, I'm really leaning towards getting an iPhone 5s, but this will be my first phone on my own.

Anyone have any advice for what plan is the cheapest in the US (preferably unlimited data)? Virgin Mobile looks the cheapest but I don't think they'll be getting the 5s (and that upfront phone cost is yikes).

Husker86

So, I'm really leaning towards getting an iPhone 5s, but this will be my first phone on my own.

Anyone have any advice for what plan is the cheapest in the US (preferably unlimited data)? Virgin Mobile looks the cheapest but I don't think they'll be getting the 5s (and that upfront phone cost is yikes).

Either T-Mobile $30 plan or AT&T's AIO Wireless prepaid. Don't get anything that uses Sprint's network...do yourself a favor. I'd personally go AT&T since they have great coverage compared to T-Mobile, but if your area has good T-Mobile coverage and you don't travel much, go with that.

edit: All of those will have a "yikes" upfront cost since they are prepaid.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Random question, there isn't a way to fully clone an iPhone for the purposes of transferring the contents to a new iPhone is there?

I know that iTunes backup does not do music and apps if you don't use autosync (I can't for various reasons), but is there some third party solution that works? Or is that the purview of jailbroken phones?

jtb

Banned
I forgot to back up my phone since May when installing iOS7. Not really that big of a deal, transferred all my contacts, and my calendar/email synced... but I did lose around 3 months' worth of texts—I'm guessing there's no way to get all that back, right? Even if a ton of it was on iMessage?

Can someone help me import a contact list (CSV) to a iPhone 5? I have a notebook running Debian with a virtual machine running Windows 7. I do this for a friend (who has a native Windows PC with iTunes) but I would like to do as much work before as possible.

I already exported the contacts as vCards from the old phone (Samsung Wave) and tried importing them in the contact app from iCloud which did not work.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Can someone help me import a contact list (CSV) to a iPhone 5? I have a notebook running Debian with a virtual machine running Windows 7. I do this for a friend (who has a native Windows PC with iTunes) but I would like to do as much work before as possible.

I already exported the contacts as vCards from the old phone (Samsung Wave) and tried importing them in the contact app from iCloud which did not work.
Try via iCloud.com

Suen

Bought a new PC, downloaded iTunes, program want to sync my phone to the new PC and obviously erase all content. I don't want to lose any content. No music, no photos, no app data, no contacts, no conversation history, nothing. I want to keep everything as it is and still be able to transfer new photos/videos/music. What should I do?

mrkgoo

Bought a new PC, downloaded iTunes, program want to sync my phone to the new PC and obviously erase all content. I don't want to lose any content. No music, no photos, no app data, no contacts, no conversation history, nothing. I want to keep everything as it is and still be able to transfer new photos/videos/music. What should I do?

You'll want to double check since I did it on mac, but you'll want to makes sure your iTunes is authorised on your computer and I think either transfer your phone backup onto the new PC or make a new backup of the phone onto it. Once that is done I believe the association is made and syncing works as normal.

Suen

You'll want to double check since I did it on mac, but you'll want to makes sure your iTunes is authorised on your computer and I think either transfer your phone backup onto the new PC or make a new backup of the phone onto it. Once that is done I believe the association is made and syncing works as normal.
I've synced sensitive data with iCloud so as far as apps are concerned I should be fine there (game saves, contacts etc.). But my music and photos I only have on my phone. If I make a new backup will they be included?

Vyer

If you're still using iTunes to sync and back up your phone, you'll need to transfer your music library from the old computer. Contacts and the like you can back up through iCloud on your phone.

Pictures you can pull off the phone without iTunes. Plug it in USB and copy them off the phone like a digital camera.

mrkgoo

If you're still using iTunes to sync and back up your phone, you'll need to transfer your music library from the old computer. Contacts and the like you can back up through iCloud on your phone.

Pictures you can pull off the phone without iTunes. Plug it in USB and copy them off the phone like a digital camera.

Oh yeah, this too. Because media is synced, it needs to exist on the computer you're syncing from.

But yes, if you make a new backup, it will include every non-synced data.

Note I'm mostly going from understanding.

Suen

Right I forgot I could just pull out the pics. I lost all my music on my old PC so I suppose I'll have to find a 3rd party software to transfer it from the phone to the PC. Will I lose my conversation history or is this saved somewhere?

Oh yeah, this too. Because media is synced, it needs to exist on the computer you're syncing from.

But yes, if you make a new backup, it will include every non-synced data.

Note I'm mostly going from understanding.
Wait so is the music included in the backup or not?

edit: and it looks like I'll loose any photos (and videos) I transfered from my previous PC to my iPhone as they don't exist in any of the folders.

mrkgoo

Right I forgot I could just pull out the pics. I lost all my music on my old PC so I suppose I'll have to find a 3rd party software to transfer it from the phone to the PC. Will I lose my conversation history or is this saved somewhere?

Wait so is the music included in the backup or not?

edit: and it looks like I'll loose any photos (and videos) I transfered from my previous PC to my iPhone as they don't exist in any of the folders.

Generally no.

Music is supposedly applied by syncing from a computer, or bought from the iTunes Msuic store. So if you sync to a new computer, only THAT music will be applied to the iDevice.

There are ways to rip it back out first if it's your only copy, using third party utilities.

To my understanding.

It's different for apps - you can restore purchases from your iPhone to your computer.

edit: pictures, likewise are also 'synced' so you lose any that aren't in the camera roll, which are supposedly created on the device, so THOSE should be included in the backup.

And conversation history for iMessages is part of the backup. Personally, I get why people like to have it, but since there's no way to really look at it easily, I nearly don't see teh point. SOme third party apps available to scour your backup for the message content.

Note, I don't actually have any technical info - I'm just basing this all on my years of messing with these systems and my 'feel' for how it works. Some proper research would be prudent.

lupinko

I got my warranty replacement in a brand new iPhone 5 on Saturday, it's soooo awesome. Considering my launch iPhone 5 besides having the wonky sleep button (which is why I was able to get the warranty replacement in the first place) did have factory defects out of the box. It wasn't a scuff but a tiny cip on the front bezel rim which wasn't noticeable unless it was pointed out.

Still I'm quite content, and just as long as you are in the warranty period, Apple will treat you right.

I was in the bathroom handling business and the iPhone 5 fell on tile. I literally have one day left on my service plan. Going to head to the Apple Store to see what they can do.

mrkgoo

I was in the bathroom handling business and the iPhone 5 fell on tile. I literally have one day left on my service plan. Going to head to the Apple Store to see what they can do.
What actually happened to it? Did the screen crack?

I dropped my phone onto tile and it clattered with just some scratches to the chamfered edge. I guess I was pretty lucky.

dubc35

Gmail Push is not available for new iOS devices any longer, unless you have a paid Google Apps account (e.g. Google Apps for Business - and it's $5 per user per month or $50/user/yearly).

There are however some work-arounds one could use.

- Use the native "Gmail" app to solely push notifications but also set up your Gmail in the native iOS Mail client and use it to handle your emails (this would require you to have the Gmail app installed, not ideal).

The below method however is what I use on my iPad:

- Set-up auto-forwarding from your Gmail to another Email that supports push (e.g. your iCloud email). This will push all your emails seamlessly to your device. If you set up your Gmail in the native iOS Mail client in addition you can utilize your gmail.com address while using the iCloud account to reply to emails.

1. Go to Gmail web interface, then to Settings -> Forward Account and add your iCloud email to forward all your emails to. I also chose to mark emails forwarded to read, since I don't use the web interface much.
  2. Setup Gmail on your iPhone like you normally would (skip if it's already on there). But under Settings, do not have it sync emails.
  3. Setup your iCloud account to send using your Gmail address.
  4. Setting -> Mail, Contacts, Calendar -> iCloud -> Account -> Advanced Mail -> outgoing mail server -> TURN iCloud SMTP server OFF and turn other SMTP servers on, choosing your smtp.gmail.com settings associated to the appropriate gmail account. HIT DONE.

A few things about this setup... When you go to reply to a message, it will show as if it's sending from your iCloud account, it does not. It is just using the settings you just set that are associated with the iCloud account.

This only works if you don't really use your iCloud account and you only need to reply via one Gmail account. I had several Gmail accounts, but only respond from one, so this is not a big issue for myself.

This tactic shouldn't be limited to using an iCloud account however and should be possible with other types like Outlook.com as well.

Going way back to May here. I'm still using this process and it works great. My only concern is it seems like more spam is coming through since gmail is forwarding everything. I'm thinking the spam email is seeing that as it was opened and read so I'm starting to get more. I go into gmail every couple days and mark them as spam but it doesn't seem to be helping. :( Anyone have thoughts, ideas on how to cut the spam down?

Going way back to May here. I'm still using this process and it works great. My only concern is it seems like more spam is coming through since gmail is forwarding everything. I'm thinking the spam email is seeing that as it was opened and read so I'm starting to get more. I go into gmail every couple days and mark them as spam but it doesn't seem to be helping. :( Anyone have thoughts, ideas on how to cut the spam down?

I've been getting more spam recently. Don't know why.

dubc35

So, sorry, still an apple noob here. How do I delete "other"? I have like 5GB in it? I've googled a bit on it. I deleted all my apps, deleted all MMS/SMS threads and cleared out all of Safari data and it did not decrease it.

66NuLFf.png

mrkgoo

So, sorry, still a apple noob here. How do I delete "other"? I have like 5GB in it? I've googled a bit on it. I deleted all my apps, deleted all MMS/SMS threads and cleared out all of Safari data and it did not decrease it.
The best way is to do a restore, and them reapply your backup.

It can be full of orphaned install files.

There are some third party apps that can browse the file system too (I've heard without jail breaking), but you should know what is necessary to leave behind and what isn't befor you embark on that journey.

dubc35

Thanks, I was thinking that was the case. I'm still on ios 6xx, when I clicked on restore it said the latest ios would be applied, does that mean ios7xx would be installed?

was able to decrease it a bit but still 3.2GB, seems like a lot IMO.

mrkgoo

Thanks, I was thinking that was the case. I'm still on ios 6xx, when I clicked on restore it said the latest ios would be applied, does that mean ios7xx would be installed?

was able to decrease it a bit but still 3.2GB, seems like a lot IMO.
Yeah a restore is likely to install the latest, although I've heard you can do an 'option' restore and select the firmware if you've already downloaded it or something.

My 'other' is around 3gb. It used to bother me, but after figuring out the best way to get rid of seemed to be full restores, I stopped worrying. Of course, I do have a 64 GB phone, so space isn't at such a premium.

I'm mostly riffing here, and don't have true technical info. Maybe someone else can chime in with clarification.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Yeah a restore is likely to install the latest, although I've heard you can do an 'option' restore and select the firmware if you've already downloaded it or something.

My 'other' is around 3gb. It used to bother me, but after figuring out the best way to get rid of seemed to be full restores, I stopped worrying. Of course, I do have a 64 GB phone, so space isn't at such a premium.

I'm mostly riffing here, and don't have true technical info. Maybe someone else can chime in with clarification.

It's 7.0.2, Apple doesn't sign 6.1.4 any longer so you can't option-restore to it any more.

dubc35

D'oh, that's what I was worrying about. I don't necessarily have anything against ios 7.xx; just want to stay with what I have. I guess I'll give live with it. I don't usually have a ton of stuff on my phone so it shouldn't be a huge deal. Thanks for the replies everyone!

lupinko

Does anyone know if the standard warranty covers scuffs still? Looks like my warranty replacement 5 suffered from the albeit nowhere near as bad as my original, no scuffs on that one but chipped instead. I got the replacement due to a malfunctioning sleep button. Unlike last year, I'm not as OCD about it, and googling the issue on warranty Apple's head of marketing attributed it to wear and tear. Think I should I bother the Apple store or don't bother since they won't cover it? I didn't cause the scuffs, and the irony is that I was more careful with this out of the box than I was with the original.

I did invest in birchwood casey metal paint pens awhile back which are temporary solutions.

http://i.imgur.com/fndQcRH.jpg?1

My warranty ends on the 24th of this month.

Edit: It's no big deal, it's not like it's a chip or dent or anything, it's amazing what a year can do.

jts

...hate me...
Hey I'm getting static shocks from my iPhone when plugged (to the USB of my AV. This is BS. Never got shocks from phones before, only computers. Anyone else?

Dis thread gon die on me tho? We need to merge iPhone threads for sure.

#notofragmentation

So what's up with this iPhone random crash/blue screen thing.

Happened to me then went into a reboot loop. Attempted standard recovery and DFU for a factory reset. Still nothing. 3 days after getting the phone. Kept getting errors on the restore attempts.

Use it for business too. Seems to be a somrwhat common issue on the 5s? What's up with the reliability.

Safari crashes have been common with iOS 7, but reboot loops are not I don't think. Might get it checked out.

Had to get a replacement through Verizon. Explained the troubleshooting I attempted before they had me do it again and they were like.... yeah we'll just give you a new one.

I searched online and it seems others are having the same issues. No clue what caused it originally. Sucks because that phone is for work and it is important to have it.

mrkgoo

Just for the record, some iPhone 5 models purchased at launch September 2012 through January 2013 have faulty/bad batteries, and Apple have identified the affected devices and will replace the battery for free until March 2015.

You can check your serial number on Apples replacement website.

http://www.macrumors.com/2014/08/22/iphone-5-battery-replacement-program/

I knew people have been having issues with batteries, even after calibration (my wife has an affected model), and it has a much poorer battery life than my own iPhone (which I got at the same time, although I returned mine for replacement due to dead pixels). Her phone would suddenly just die from around 20% charge or so, as well as exhibit unexpected drops in battery percentage.

Top Bottom