• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is the HTC Vive worth $500? If not, how should I upgrade my PC instead?

Izuna

Banned
not interested in supporting facebook/oculus.

atSlt6m.gif

So in which case, don't get the Vive because you'll miss out on many Oculus games anyways.

BIGWORM

Upgrade the pc. SSD, new monitor, new graphics card? All those are probably a better investment than the Vive.

Gonna have to agree, here. I may be more biased to this side because I just recently sold my Vive. Bought back in August last year, probably played, at the most, 10 hours. =/

So in which case, don't get the Vive because you'll miss out on many Oculus games anyways.

One, he probably doesn't want to play Oculus games because then he'd be buying them and supporting Oculus/Facebook in their ecosystem. Two, even if he did want to play those Oculus games, Revive works just fine to play basically anything.

Izuna

Banned
One, he probably doesn't want to play Oculus games because then he'd be buying them and supporting Oculus/Facebook in their ecosystem. Two, even if he did want to play those Oculus games, Revive works just fine to play basically anything.

You don't pirate games with ReVive though, you'd still support Oculus games. There just isn't enough to justify High-End VR if you're refusing anything that would support them.
*short of piracy

You don't pirate games with ReVive though, you'd still support Oculus games. There just isn't enough to justify High-End VR if you're refusing anything that would support them.

Right, that's why I said "even if he did want to play them." He would buy them and use Revive.

I own a Vive and I also refuse to support Facebook/Oculus. I don't feel like I'm lacking anything important at all from my library. I think I used Revive like once and it was for a free thing somebody made that had been designed for Oculus, haven't bought anything from their dumb walled garden. Vive is awesome with just what's available on Steam and is well worth the money, especially at $500.

I mean essentially what you're trying to say here is "anyone who owns a Vive is required to purchase Oculus games in order to have a good/justified experience." That's just ludicrous. There are 1,361 tagged VR games on Steam, and 1,265 of them are also tagged HTC Vive. It's so easy to ignore Oculus.

is a 970 really insufficient for VR if i've run the steamVR test and it said i was all set? i don't need supersampling to enjoy myself.

970 is totally sufficient. It's what was initially recommended for the current headsets, and not like "bare minimum" either, it's fine. Heck, my Vive arrived before my 1070 did and I couldn't wait to try it out...some stuff even worked great on a 750ti (Google TiltBrush, I forget what else I had tried).

I say go for it. Because on one hand you've got something you can buy anytime, on the other you have a one time offer for a really steep discount.

There's a newer, lighter version of the Vive?

https://www.vrheads.com/htc-vive-you-can-buy-now-very-different-original

atSlt6m.gif

I went on the Oculus subreddit the other day and they were discussing a tweet from Palmer Luckey. The thread had hundreds of responses, and none of them were about how maybe we shouldn't treat this guy like he isn't a prick.

QuantumSquid you're like my favorite user here, sucks you have such a dumb reason not to get the cheaper Rift.

1. why am i your favorite

2. i actually had a rift before and returned it because i wanted something designed for room-scale tracking. didn't feel like fiddling with "experimental" setups, even if they do work almost as well as the vive's lighthouse system. that, on top of not liking facebook/oculus's business practices, is why i'm not interested in the rift.

Vash63

It's definitely worth $500, I could give you a good list of games too. For a multiplayer shooter, Onward is pretty amazing. To The Top, Arizona Sunshine and Raw Data are all pretty good too and have much more than just 'early access wave shooter' to their names.

The only tricky part is that the 970 is aging a bit - you can play just about anything but you might not be happy with the level of anti-aliasing you'll need to have. For less realistic games like To the Top, Rick & Morty or Audioshield and such you should be OK but you might see a lot more jaggies than you'd like in some of the more graphically advanced games.

low-G

https://www.vrheads.com/htc-vive-you-can-buy-now-very-different-original

I went on the Oculus subreddit the other day and they were discussing a tweet from Palmer Luckey. The thread had hundreds of responses, and none of them were about how maybe we shouldn't treat this guy like he isn't a prick.

Guy doesn't work for Oculus anymore. He did used to be a regular on that forum though. Unrelated to Oculus itself.

I won't argue for you to buy a Rift though, you can do what you like.

(As much as I love VR, I'd probably sit on my money for a bigger PC upgrade (because what you have is decent now), then go VR if I were you)

1. why am i your favorite

2. i actually had a rift before and returned it because i wanted something designed for room-scale tracking. didn't feel like fiddling with "experimental" setups, even if they do work almost as well as the vive's lighthouse system. that, on top of not liking facebook/oculus's business practices, is why i'm not interested in the rift.
This is why you're my favorite

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
I'd sit on the current PC until Cannonlake and Volta have arrived, then do a full rebuild.

Buy an SSD now, though, because you're in the fucking Stone Age with that HDD only computer. This is 2017, not 2007.

Top Bottom