• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

It's The Indie Games Summer Uprising Thread: A Game A Day Aug 22 - Sept 2

Gowans

Xbox Indie Devs have came together to release a high quality indie titles each day over the next 10 days in a grass roots promotion.

Here's a thread for GAF to see if we can give Xbox indies a good try.

Week 1
Mon Aug 22nd - Raventhorne
Tues Aug 23rd – Battle High: San Bruno
Wed Aug 24th - Cute Things Dying Violently
Thurs Aug 25th - T.E.C. 3001
Fri Aug 26th - Doom and Destiny

Week 2
Mon Aug 29th - Take Arms
Tues Aug 30th - SpeedRunner HD
Wed Aug 31st –Train Frontier Express
Thurs Sept 1st - Chester
Fri Sept 2nd – Redd: The Lost Temple

Official Site:
http://indiegames-uprising.com/Default.aspx

Uprising Trailer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5zQiBC0HUc

Games:

Mon Aug 22nd - Raventhorne - OUT NOW Marketplace Link

raventhorne.png

rt1.jpg

Trailer
Genre: Action / Adventure
# of Players: 1
Price: 240
Description:
Milkstone Studios proudly presents an epic 2D adventure of glory and vengeance! Help Raventhorne, the fallen norse hero fullfill his fate and take revenge for his death! Clear your way through the 6 worlds of Yggdrasil, and reach Asgard before Ragnarok is unleashed. But you will not be alone in this task. Others will guide you in your journey through the breathtaking landscapes. But what are their intentions? Are you just a puppet in their hands? Time will tell. Battle fearsome enemies with the original and challenging combat system, which requires both reflexes & tactical awareness. Cast powerful magic spells while changing your combat stance to refine your style. Are you ready to challenge the gods?

Tues Aug 23rd – Battle High: San Bruno Rev2.0 - OUT NOW Marketplace Link

BattleHigh.jpg

BHScreenshot_3.jpg

Trailer
Genre: Fighting
# of Players: 1 - 2 (local)
Price: 80
Description:
Battle High is a 2D fighting game inspired by classic fighting games like those from the old SNK days. Choosing from one of eight elementally powered student, players battle one another in a variety of modes, whether it's a simple one-on-one match or seeing who can better destroy an abandoned vehicle. We listened to its fans and brought many of the requested updates such as widescreen and character balancing to this version in the hopes of pleasing current fans and possibly attracting new ones. Even after this release, we'll continue to make updates, and maybe one day, a sequel.

Wed Aug 24th - Cute Things Dying Violently - OUT NOW Marketplace Link

cutethings.png

cute3.jpg

Trailer
Genre: Platformer
# of Players: 1 - 2
Price: 80
Description:
Flick hapless Critters around to get them safely out of each level! Dodge all sorts of lethal goodies like spikes, buzzsaws, and fire, and use a variety of wacky items to pull it off. Play through 60 mind-bending, reflex-testing singleplayer levels, 6 bloodthirsty challenge levels, and 1 murderous bucket-headed robot! Want more? Try out the local multiplayer and the built-in level editor.

Thurs Aug 25th - T.E.C. 3001 - OUT NOW Marketplace Link

tec.jpg

tec1.jpg

Trailer
Description:
T.E.C. 3001 (Tesla Energy Collector) is 3D action single player game for XBOX. You are guiding a robot through a virtual space to collect leftovers of energy for human kind. There are 21 levels and each one of them brings unique challenge to the player. Player will master in guiding a robot (T.E.C.) on level through series of trials and repetitions. Levels are about 1 minutes long, if you don't make any mistakes. There is option for changing UI theme in game. You are given 3 basic commands - jump, charge or slide. Use the right combination to get over obstacles and try to collect batteries which represent energy. There are solid and breakable walls, jump platforms, objects which speed you up, objects which speed you down, etc. Often compared to Kanabalt, Snail Mail, Robot Unicorn Attactk, etc.

Fri Aug 26th - Doom and Destiny - OUT NOW Marketplace Link

dd.png

dd3.jpg

Trailer
Genre: RPG
Description:
Doom & Destiny is a conventional Japanese style RPG with an unconventional mood. It tells the adventures of four nerdy friends trapped in a fantasy realm populated by cliché, strange characters and weirder villains. Mistaken for heroes they will take a long journey through dangers and mysteries to reveal the evil plot of Unnamed and his shady lieutenant. Will our heroes be able to find their way home without losing themselves in laughs and bad jokes? Fight alongside Johnny, Nigel, Mike and Francis in many different locations from lava-filled dungeons to icy peaks : the new battle system encourages new game strategies giving the player the possibility to choose the party leader and simple battle tactics. Cast powerful fireballs with Nigel, quickly backstab unaware enemies with Francis, summon powerful Noodle Gods to heal your friends with Mike or slash your opponent to pieces with Johnny’s powerful sword. The fate of Destiny’s empire is in your hands.

Mon Aug 29th - Take Arms - ON HOLD

takearms.jpg

TakeArms3.jpg

Trailer
Genre: Shooter
# of Players: 1 - 8 (online or system link)
Description:
Take Arms is a multiplayer evolution of the classic console platformer. Featuring stunning high-definition artwork and sound effects, the game aims to immerse you in its fast-paced world of 2D class-based shooting. Set in the near future, the world’s two remaining super powers are at war, and both sides are nearly decimated. With their cities charred and ruined, each side is down to the last of their soldiers. The best of the best. The only ones able to survive. Join the fight in the final battles of this last great war! Battle it out over Xbox LIVE or System Link with up to eight players. Play as three different classes: the quick and light Striker equipped with a sniper rifle, the slow and heavy Destroyer equipped with a belt-fed machine gun, or the middle-ground Grunt with burst-fire assault rifle. Dominate three diverse locales (Bridge, Forest Complex, & Trainyard) and three game types (DM, TDM, & CTF). Practice in solo mode with bots that support multiple difficulty levels and all game types. Track your experience as you gain ranks and earn badges.

Tues Aug 30th - SpeedRunner HD - OUT NOW Marketplace Link
SpeedRunner.png

SpeedRunner2.jpg

Trailer
# of Players: 1 - 4 (local)
Description:
Use your grappling hook, walljumping, doublejumping and other special abilities to speedrun as quickly as possible across action-packed platforming levels, in order to dismantle the bomb in time! Re-play levels with newly unlocked gadgets to find the best routes and get the highest scores. The singleplayer story lets you play through awesome hand-crafted levels, in which you have to run, jump and swing to avoid spikes and obstacles, while battling against the mad bomber and his diabolical machine. While the singleplayer story offers enough exploration and challenges to keep you busy for a while, the multiplayer is where this game really shines. So gather (up to) 3 of your friends and compete in a 4-player speedrunning spectacle! With all the players on the same screen, your goal is to out-run your friends so they fall off the screen. Do so by finding the best and quickest routes and by cleverly using weapons such as your grappling hook, homing missiles and remotely detonatable bombs. With gameplay reminiscent of Mario Kart and Micro Machines, you’re guaranteed to have a good time! The original browser game was developed in Flash, and released -to much sucess- on the Web in June 2011, while this HD version was built from scratch using XNA Game Studio 4.0 and DoubleDutch’s own Chameleon engine. It features more levels, hi-def graphics and an awesome multiplayer mode.

Wed Aug 31st –Train Frontier Express - OUT NOW Marketplace Link

TrainFrontier.jpg

TFE2.jpg

Trailer
Genre: Simulator
# of Players: 1 - 4 (online)
Description:
Train Frontier Express is a stylized landscape building and train riding game, focused on simulating the fun aspects of model railroading rather than complicated aspects of train simulation. Fill your scene with miles of track, hundreds of props, and train car setups. Enjoy a ride through your own creation, then share your maps and ride with friends online. - What-you-see-is-what-you-get world editor - Stylized pop art and funky props - Customized trains - Derailment and explosive effects - Play how you like, earn badges - Share your maps and ride on Xbox Live

Thurs Sept 1st - Chester - OUT NOW Marketplace Link

chester.png

Chester1.png

Trailer
Description:
Chester is a platformer I have been working on for approaching a year now. It's very old-school in feel but very unique in it's style. The majority of the game is hand-drawn but the user has the ability to switch between a number on unlockable stlyes including 8-bit, LCD, Sketch, Blueprint, and more. The game will span several themed worlds (Forest, desert, candyworld, city, and others) with around 50 levels and several unique boss fights. There will also be around 10 unlockable unique characters.

Fri Sept 2nd – Redd: The Lost Temple - OUT NOW Marketplace Link

redd.jpg

redd2.png

Trailer
Genre: Action / Adventure
Description:
Follow the adventures of Redd in his first top down, action/adventure game. The world is in eminent danger from an unknown physical phenomenon and only the archeologist Allie and the explorer-for-hire Redd can save us. Navigate through a huge dungeon avoiding sinister traps, time based puzzles, and massive stone creatures to unlock the mystery of the Royal Amulet of Konira and defeat The Lost Temple.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Played the web version of speed runner from the build thread yesterday. Really dug it. Like some other games listed here. Though admittedly some games look better to me than I'd probably like playing them.

I have 670 points chill'n though and might a couple of theses. Wonder how long that RPG is.

Gowans

I've just checked out Raventhorne, it looks great but I think due the fact you start low level and level up you don;'t get a full sense of the combat.

KAOS

Raventhrone gives me an Amiga game vibe. It reminds me of Targhan and Shadow of the Beast. I'm enjoying it!

Gaspode_T

Platformers/action games are the genre that everyone with 8-bit and 16-bit glossy goggle memories holds to the absolute highest standards. Any more reviews of Raventhorne? Almost all the games are 240 pts, so there really needs to be reviews to make people make the purchase.

I'm almost sure I'm getting Train Frontier Express and San Bruno, the rest I am going to play the trial at least!

Rlan

Sweet -- will be promoting on GSW. I also have an agreement with the devs to do an analysis on their sales for the month after the games come out :)

Galdelico

Definitely picking up Battle High... This revision 2.0 seems full of nice improvements.

Also, Train Frontier Express looks amazing, I'm really curious to give it a try (hoping it won't be another Rotor... I loved that game's graphics and appeal, but never really enjoyed its gameplay).

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I'm semi addicted to playing SpeedRunner the web version... makes me wonder if I should get that or if the web version is enough.... love the comic art style for that game too!

The backgrounds in Raventhorne are really pretty, it's a shame the puppet-like animation of the characters is so ugly and at odds with it.

Can't really say I enjoyed Raventhorne. It looks and feels like it should be a good hack and slash action game.... but then the main character gets winded after 3 seconds of you pressing attack buttons. Turns the game into a slow paced hit and run type game where I'm more fighting the stamina bar than the actual enemy.

Gaspode_T

I kind of wish they had gone for a homage to the classic Stormlord - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kiRs2ceDiYg

It would have needed more naked fairies to fit that bill, otherwise I didn't mind the stamina bar I thought it made it a little unique. Like I said people hold these particular games to the highest standards though so I guess it will never please everyone unless it uses pixel perfect Mario physics and Streets of Rage 2 beat em up mechanics.

Positive impressions:
+ Vikings!
+ I died in the trial mode
+ Nice enough music/art

Negative
- I died in the trial mode trying to cast a spell
- Can't cast spells without the blue meter being totally full?
- Not clear if there are weapon upgrades/etc to make combat interesting over time

Gaspode_T

If the devs are listening I think it would be better to allow magic if the bar is 50% full and then have it be a more powerful version if it's 100% full. Especially since the one I was trying to cast was the knock back one when I got surrounded by enemies and had low stamina...

Thank you for pointing that out Gowanas.

Battle High will probably be buried in the dash unfortunately, as it is a large update to the game which was previously released. Because of that, it stays where it is currently located in the dash, and does not move to the front.

It was the only title to make the Uprising which was previously released, as quite a bit of new content (and widescreen support!) was added.

Galdelico

DaveVoyles said:
Thank you for pointing that out Gowanas.

Battle High will probably be buried in the dash unfortunately, as it is a large update to the game which was previously released. Because of that, it stays where it is currently located in the dash, and does not move to the front.
That's a shame.

Getting the game tho, thanks for the heads-up Gowans.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Brettison said:
Any fighting fans try out Battle High? Just how good of a technical fighters is this game?

Best to look at the Shoryuken thread for the lowdown on that: http://shoryuken.com/forum/index.php?threads/battle-high-san-bruno-xbli-fighting-game.127187/

I was very impressed with it when it first came out, and this just improves on what was there. It's a very solid fighter, especially for only $1. It is very much like an old SNK fighter, or a KoF, in that it has depth, but much of that depth is based on universal systems and move timings.

I'd encourage you to try the challenge mode within the game. It shows you a lot of what the game's combo system can do, and how much imagination the developers had with the systems. Rush-canceling is a nice, fairly intuitive mechanic that give you nice unique movement, that really lets you capitalize on hitstuns and such.

If you have some local friends to play the game with, definitely give it a whirl! If not... the single player modes are fun, and have boss and miniboss conversations and endings! Plus this new release has 3 mini-games (one is 2p only, however), that call back to old SFII bonus stages.

Gaspode_T

Cute Things Dying Violently is out, anyone try it? Some positive impressions on Twitter at least and this blog -> http://xboxindiereviews.wordpress.com/2011/08/23/cute-things-dying-violently-first-impressions/

Pros:
–Once gotten used to, the controls are crisp, especially since you have time for every shot
–Great learning curve
–Great graphics and audio
–Humor in everything
–A good challenge for perfectionists, but you can beat the game without that route
–Bonus levels are a break from the normal gameplay and give you a way to hone your aiming skills
–Level Editor
–Same console multiplayer (haven’t tried it, but it looks fun)
–No timer on levels (explained below)

Cons:
–No online map sharing system (yet, apparently a future update might hold that, so fingers crossed!!)
–No subtitles, I would love to be 100% of what insults I am hearing

Wants:
–Achieve mints are cool and all, but we want more! They don’t even have to unlock stuff
–Online Multiplayer
–More levels!! (obviously)

I am playing this game like crazy, and I know anyone who tries it will love it too. It has the addictiveness of Angry Birds because you want to save all the critters you can, or get to that next level, but you aren’t rushed. The fact that there is no timer makes this game much more fun and relaxing to play., while games like Star Ninja are fun, but it becomes a pain to know the timer is there mocking you. So far, I love CTDV and it is climbing its way to the top of my favorite indie games.

I don't like the randomness of CTDV. In Angry Birds (for example) you can take two shots that are identical successively. In CTDV you can't really do that because you have to move your crosshair, or the critter's in a slightly different place, or various other small movements that mean if you miss one shot by a tiny amount, you can't just make a small adjustment for the next shot, you have to line it up from scratch and hope for the best again.

Gowans

Very Cool that they've gave up some dash space again.

Got to check out Chester & Redd then I'll write up my thoughts.

Any news on Take Arms?

Top Bottom