• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ITT, We all have to agree on a game better than Super Mario 64

Vanadium

Portal 2 is a better game than Mario 64.

Also for no reason:

Mario Galaxie(s) is better than Mario 64 is better than Mario Sunshine is better than Mario 3D World is better than Mario 3D Land.

I just could never get into the 3D Land/World titles. Really just felt like DLC challenge rooms.

killatopak

Gold Member
There's tons of games that are better.

I'll just say the ones everybody could agree with.

Resident Evil 4
Super Mario Galaxy
Uncharted 2
Portal

V

Vader1

Unconfirmed Member
Galaxy also clowns 64 in straight platforming, and its level design alone is a testament of that.

Which level? The galaxy where you're running to specific patches of brown land so you can shake the Wii remote and drill to a different section? The galaxy where you're rolling around as a giant rock smashing into a bunch of Octogoombas, which involves shaking the Wii remote? The galaxy where you're literally being spun around in circles by different gravitational fields, or maybe the galaxy which involves flying as Bee Mario to different platforms--flying, not jumping--and more of, you guessed it, shaking the Wii remote to spin on those long vines?

If 64 had better controls it could dominate the 3D Mario titles, maybe even stake a legitimate claim at best game ever made. But anyway, 3D World beats them both in the pure platforming aspect of things. Galaxy and Galaxy 2 were made for casuals. 3D World was made for the people who grew up on platforming, 2D or 3D, and don't require any additional gimmicks besides running, jumping, and more running and jumping to enjoy a game.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
There's tons of games that are better.

I'll just say the ones everybody could agree with.

Resident Evil 4
Super Mario Galaxy
Uncharted 2
Portal

Pretty sure all of these were "turned down" already. The rules in the OP are just bad. If one person turns down any of these games twice, it means that SM64 is magically still the best game evar.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
My disagreements, I am ONLY posting disagreements to games that I personally have played and that have not been challenged before (because this would be redundant).

Super Paper Mario has super-redundant elements like this "walking on a treadmill" stuff. There are numerous scenes that are just there for a joke and have no gameplay value. Therefore it is considerably weaker than SM64.
This is true, SPM has several things that aren't fun, but to me they add a lot of charm to the game. I thought the treadmill part was genius, it's such a subversion of what a video game should be like. That said, I didn't enjoy Sammer's Kingdom, and thought that was too much. But then again, I also didn't like SM64's water levels at all.

Which level? The galaxy where you're running to specific patches of brown land so you can shake the Wii remote and drill to a different section? The galaxy where you're rolling around as a giant rock smashing into a bunch of Octogoombas, which involves shaking the Wii remote? The galaxy where you're literally being spun around in circles by different gravitational fields, or maybe the galaxy which involves flying as Bee Mario to different platforms--flying, not jumping--and more of, you guessed it, shaking the Wii remote to spin on those long vines?

Yeah, any of those levels clown 64's. And any of 64's clown most of 3D World's normal levels. The skill floor and ceiling of 3D World is significantly lower than any 3D Mario before it, treating Galaxy as a game for casuals only betrays any possibility you have.

killatopak

Gold Member
Pretty sure all of these were "turned down" already. The rules in the OP are just bad. If one person turns down any of these games twice, it means that SM64 is magically still the best game evar.

Can I turn him down as well?

There's more people that disputed sm64 already which means none are better than everything.

It all boils down to personal opinion anyway.

rjc571

Banned

If 64 had better controls it could dominate the 3D Mario titles, maybe even stake a legitimate claim at best game ever made. But anyway, 3D World beats them both in the pure platforming aspect of things. Galaxy and Galaxy 2 were made for casuals. 3D World was made for the people who grew up on platforming, 2D or 3D, and don't require any additional gimmicks besides running, jumping, and more running and jumping to enjoy a game.

Most of us are above the age of 4 and therefore do not automatically hate games that are played with the Wii Remote.

ascii42

You have to think about it for a minute. Your argument is basically "Transformers: Dark of the Moon" is better than "Jurassic Park" because the CG looks better and CG is why people like "Jurassic Park". That's wrong, because without "Jurassic Park", good CG in movies doesn't become a thing until later. It's a seminal work. Super Mario 64 is in the same ballpark.

The fact that Nintendo nailed 3D movement with Mario on the first try and delivered a game that is still playable today is incredible. That's why Super Mario 64 is in this type of discussion. There are better 3D platformers out there now, but that game should be respected for the time it came out and how innovative it was. Go play other 3D games in the years before Mario 64 came out, it's a nightmare.

This is what I based my nomination on. Halo: Combat Evolved is better than Mario 64 because it also created a genre (Console FPS), and that genre has been more widespread than 3D platformers.
Halo wasn't the first console FPS, it wasn't even the first FPS with 4 player splitscreen and system link.
edit: way beaten, and I see you also acknowledged Timesplitters's contributions.

CzOMrnMWgAEpfDn

V

Vader1

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, any of those levels clown 64's. And any of 64's clown most of 3D World's normal levels. The skill floor and ceiling of 3D World is significantly lower than any 3D Mario before it, treating Galaxy as a game for casuals only betrays any possibility you have.

Those were all stages involving gimmicks with the Wii remote, an accessory designed for casuals. So, to casuals, I'm sure they would "clown" 64's, or 3D World's, but for platforming fans, they feel ridiculous and annoying.

Edit: Saying 3D World has a low skill ceiling reveals that you've probably never beaten the full thing in single player, especially when you make the absurd claim that the Galaxy games are somehow harder. Champion's Road is testament to the mastery over the controls you need to have in order to beat it. As opposed to "mastery" over the action of shaking the Wii remote, very challenging and requiring an incredibly high skill ceiling to perform this action I'm sure.

Kirye

Super Mario Galaxy 2 is a better game than Super Mario 64.

The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker is a better game than Super Mario 64.

Super Mario RPG is a better game than Super Mario 64.

Mass Effect 2 is a better game than Super Mario 64.

I love Super Mario 64, but we can do this all day.

Indelible

Mario 64 was a revolutionary game when it came out but I think games like Banjo Kazooie and Rayman 2 perfected that 3D platformer formula.

BadAss2961

It's not though. God, I was bored to tears while playing SMG.
Same... SMG just felt like a collection of levels. SM64's maps, hub world, objective design, and overall advancement of this entire hobby at its time of release are forever embedded in my brain.

Both had good music, but I also give SM64 the nod here for having more memorable pieces.

Caronte

Not denying how influential the game was, but several platformers from that same era were already much better games.

VanWinkle

The fallacy is that you can't even get everybody to agree with how good Mario 64 is. So how are we possibly supposed to get everyone to agree that a certain game is universally accepted as better than it?

Basically, you can't get every person to agree that one specific game of subjective quality is better than another specific game of subjective quality, especially when they are both games that are generally highly-acclaimed.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
Everytime I try to start and play Super Mario 64, I get bored and lose interest after the first stage. People had been hyping it up in the forums I'd posted in over the years but I just don't see it @_@
Non the less I will one day play it to completion to give it proper judgement.

...but yeah SM Galaxy>SM64 is something I can stand behind, I loved SM Galaxy.

Mario 64 is a pretty mediocre game with a shit camera, awkward controls and boring, empty level designs. Almost all Nintendo published games since the SNES era are better than Mario 64.

It would've helped if you had played it in 1996 when it came out, but if you played it for the first time nearly 20 years later then it won't impress.

rjc571

Banned
It would've helped if you had played it in 1996 when it came out, but if you played it for the first time nearly 20 years later then it won't impress.

I played it for the first time not long after it came out and was not impressed. Of course, I had already been exposed to Crash Bandicoot, with its tight controls, perfect camera angles, and hardcore obstacle-based level design that harkened back to the best sidescrollers of the 16 bit era, so you can see how I wasn't taken by a game where you clumsily lumber through mostly empty levels with nothing but a small handful of trivial enemies, obstacles, or setpieces to interact with, as the camera struggles to get around every piece of level geometry.

ShowDog

The thing with Super Mario 64 it's that only if you subtract context it's possible to make an argument that there are better games.

And FFVII, yeah it did some things. But it's not at the same level. Nice try.

True. I can't think of anything I would definitively call better than SM64. The music, difficulty, control, moveset, momentum and raw 8-bit-gone polygonal graphics bake a cake that is still delicious to this day. I'm also pretty undeniably nostalgic about it too. But you had to be there, context is everything.

Updating OP with list of games that are said to be better than Super Mario 64.

Keep an eye out for nominations that have not yet been disputed.

Clarification: No disputing unless you've actually played the game (not briefly held the controller)

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Mario 64 is a pretty mediocre game with a shit camera, awkward controls and boring, empty level designs. Almost all Nintendo published games since the SNES era are better than Mario 64.
Pretty much. I'll give it credit for being the first proper 3D platformer. I'm sure it had the wow factor when it releases. But the game really isn't great. There were far better platformers even in its own generation, and there's a ton more now. There were also a ton of platformers way better than Mario 64 before Mario 64. They just weren't in 3D.

Top Bottom