• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan Travel |OT| One does simply not visit just once

Use your Visa card and get yen at the 7-Eleven International ATM or bring cash and exchange at the airport in Japan.
Airport exchange rate is 103円 per dollar -_- plus a $8 fee per exchange.

Think 7-11 Japan will be cheaper?
Edit- brother who's been to a few countries a few things Jed agrees about 7-11 ATM guess I'll try that

Stuart444

They get you tickets, but they're really overpriced.

Yeah I know :/ 2 people is about 2000 yen if I read the Eorzea Cafe booking website correctly but I hear tickets have to be picked up within 3 days of booking so it'd be pot luck as to if the dates we want are available just before we go to Japan (since we'd be able to pop by lawsons before going to the hotel).

hmm...

Zoe

Edit- brother who's been to a few countries a few things Jed agrees about 7-11 ATM guess I'll try that
Airport exchange rate in Japan was 118 to the dollar two weeks ago for traveler's checks.

What I like to do is just get like $200 exchanged to yen at the airport, just to make sure I have money to get where I need to go. I've never had problems with a 7-11 ATM in Japan, but I just want to be sure I have some cash already when I arrive in case something goes awry.

Zatoth

7-11 works with my debit card again this time. In 2014 I could only get cash via MasterCard. When getting 30k Yen (~230 Euro) the fees add up to 3-4 Euros.

Zoe

Went to play pachinko in our last few hours and then couldn't find the exchange window. Oops.

You would think we would have learned our lesson after the last time we went to a place late at night in a city adjacent to our ryokan, but nope.

It seems like the rate for a US airport. I have read to never exchange USD at a US airport, and I presume the same goes for other countries and their airports.

Oh, yeah. Never do it at the US Airports or any other currency exchange places, their rates are terrible. Not sure if you've arrived in Narita already, but if you have some cash, just convert it there. They give pretty good rates with no fees.

Stuart444

On the subject of exchange rates and stuff, I'm looking at my bank online since it offers a service to order foreign currency using my bank account.

1 pound = 158.22 yen (and since I was planning on bringing 1000+, it would be around 158221. yen which I think should be enough for 2 weeks but my kind mum says she'll give us 500 pound extra which is very nice of her :) so I shouldn't have any money worries)

According to the exchange rates at Narita (from the link above)

1 pound = 160.31 yen

That doesn't seem so bad right? Seeing people suggest to exchange money in Japan made me think I would just do that but since the exchange rate from my bank seems pretty similar, I might as well just get the yen before I leave Scotland?

That doesn't seem so bad right? Seeing people suggest to exchange money in Japan made me think I would just do that but since the exchange rate from my bank seems pretty similar, I might as well just get the yen before I leave Scotland?

If you have a Visa card with low conversion fees it's better to withdraw from 7-Eleven or Post Office ATMs.

You can calculate the exchange rate here with fees:
https://www.visaeurope.com/making-payments/exchange-rates

If you got a 0% conversion fee card you get 170.70 JPY for each £ for example.

Stuart444

If you have a Visa card with low conversion fees it's better to withdraw from 7-Eleven or Post Office ATMs.

You can calculate the exchange rate here with fees:
https://www.visaeurope.com/making-payments/exchange-rates

If you got a 0% conversion fee card you get 170.70 JPY for each £ for example.

My card is a Visa debit card.

according to:

https://www.bankofscotland.co.uk/travel/using-your-cards-abroad/

It's 2.99% non-sterling transaction fee according to that. So not sure if that makes a big difference.

I also admit, one of my worries is that I tell the bank I'm going to be using the card abroad and they forget. (read stories about that) If my card got swallowed by the ATMs and I don't have much money on hand, then I'd be fucked.

My card is a Visa debit card.

according to:

https://www.bankofscotland.co.uk/travel/using-your-cards-abroad/

It's 2.99% non-sterling transaction fee according to that. So not sure if that makes a big difference.

I also admit, one of my worries is that I tell the bank I'm going to be using the card abroad and they forget. (read stories about that) If my card got swallowed by the ATMs and I don't have much money on hand, then I'd be fucked.

With 2.99% it'll be 165.75 JPY for each GBP. Looks like they also have a separate cash fee that's up to £4.50 as well though when withdrawing money.

Stuart444

With 2.99% it'll be 165.75 JPY for each GBP. Looks like they also have a separate cash fee that's up to £4.50 as well though when withdrawing money.

Yeah, heh. I wish things could be simple lol

My head is just filled with things that could go wrong though just now. I'm going to feel so much better when all of this is over with and I am in Japan.

Yeah, heh. I wish things could be simple lol

My head is just filled with things that could go wrong though just now. I'm going to feel so much better when all of this is over with and I am in Japan.

Seems like a bad card to use abroad if you pay for small sums as well since it got a £1 purchase fee unless you got a Platinum or Premier card.

And I'm sure everything will be fine ;)

Stuart444

Seems like a bad card to use abroad if you pay for small sums as well since it got a £1 purchase fee unless you got a Platinum or Premier card.

And I'm sure everything will be fine ;)

Haha, thanks and thanks for all the info as usual :).

I'll probably exchange the money here but take my card (and my partners who has a similar Visa debit card but with RBS instead lol) just to be on the safe side.

I'll have a budget but I don't trust myself not to overspend >.>

Yes the exchange prices I listed was for ICE, a US based money exchange inside a US airport.

Ok using a 7-11 ATM located inside the Narita airport (the money exchange has a yellow ATM 50m -> sign pointing to it) I got 3 fees using my debit card twice:

$1.00 failed transaction (trying to withdraw 100,000円 whoops)
$426.22 when withdrawing 50,000円
$1.00 withdrawal fee

Currently the rate is 50,000円 to $424.86usd so I think it's pretty good.

Yes the exchange prices I listed was for ICE, a US based money exchange inside a US airport.

Ok using a 7-11 ATM located inside the Narita airport (the money exchange has a yellow ATM 50m -> sign pointing to it) I got 3 fees using my debit card twice:

$1.00 withdrawal fee

Current problem is being too lazy to count coins when playing so I pay everything using 1000円 bills and now have a pile of coins in my pocket.

$1.00 withdrawal fee

Current problem is being too lazy to count coins when playing so I pay everything using 1000円 bills and now have a pile of coins in my pocket.

Get used to the change. I thought I made sure to use up almost all my loose change at the airport before leaving on ice cream vending machines, but when I got home I found a good 400-500 yen that I had stuck in a pocket in my luggage that I forgot about.

Zyzyxxz

I saved my coins for either convenience machines or ordering food from teh ticket machines outside certain restaurants.

I saved my coins for either convenience machines or ordering food from teh ticket machines outside certain restaurants.

Yep. 10 yen and above can be used for vending machines if you don't want to dump change on someone in a store. You should always keep 1s and 5s and use them whenever possible in stores (like if something costs 244 yen and you can't pay exact, give them a 500/1000 plus 4 yen so you get some usable coins back), else you're coming home with a mountain of them.

Trevelyon

I always fumble with 1/5s when I'm going to check out. So I tended to just dump them or put them in charity buckets or toss at shrines.

Darksol

CfHV4qc.png

35j69ex.jpg

:(

Bullza2o

Last time I went to Japan in 2012 I think the exchange rate was $1 for 80円. I hope when I go there in 3 months the rate will still be good...

Zoe

This time was soooo much better than our last time which was like 78 yen to the dollar.

Should have bought more stuff...

Last time I went to Japan in 2012 I think the exchange rate was $1 for 80円. I hope when I go there in 3 months the rate will still be good...

I'm trying to get a job there right now so the part of me that thinks I might find something is hoping for more of this. Sorry guys.

I was also thinking about looking for work in Canada but I guess that's out for now. Hope you guys can turn things around though!

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
If this has been answered before, just tell me to search. I only checked the last page.

The Robot Restaurant in Shinjuku. What's the cheapest way to buy tickets? I've found beauty of Japan to sell cheaper tickets but I'm unsure if it's legit. Also, is it awesome? It looks pretty crazy and a must do.

If this has been answered before, just tell me to search. I only checked the last page.

The Robot Restaurant in Shinjuku. What's the cheapest way to buy tickets? I've found beauty of Japan to sell cheaper tickets but I'm unsure if it's legit. Also, is it awesome? It looks pretty crazy and a must do.

Same price on Japanican and they're legit.

JEKKI

ayo wazaaaaaaaaaap it's ya boy JEKKI up in here~!!!

shout outs again to http://www.eataku.com/ for holdin it down!!

I'm going to Japang soon~!! 3rd time there but 2nd time in Tokyo and I got lists! lists on lists I say!!

so if anybody wants to know my food list for the trip, feel free to read on!!!

Ramen checklist:

Ichiran.
https://www.ichiran.co.jp/english/
Yelp
I dont think I needa say much about this place, it's a staple ramen spot enjoyed by all! saw it during my first trip there and unfortunately they do not have locations in northern country, so now it's finally time to try this!

Kyushu Jangara
http://www.kyusyujangara.co.jp/
Yelp
recommendation by famous gamer and friend Markman! Supposed to be the favorite ramen of famous gamer Daigo!

Ebikin
http://ebikin.com/
http://www.eataku.com/post/113527459586/ebikin-ramen-tokyo
First of my eataku recommendations! I mentioned this one earlier asking for translation advice, but its feature appears to be a shrimp broth so it's sounding super good and something I'm looking real forward too!

Kagari
http://www.eataku.com/post/76667079407/kagari-ginza-tokyo
Yelp
Chiken Paitan ramen. There's a place in NY (Totto ramen) that serves this dish and it's supposed to be one of the most popular ramens there, and unfortunately we do not have anything similar here in CA, and since I've been wanting to try it in NY figure I may as well get it in Japan instead!

Tsuta
http://kotaku.com/this-could-be-japans-best-ramen-restaurant-1745437422
Yelp
That new Michelin Star ramen spot, I'm currently stressed out worrying how early I needa wake up to get a ticket >_< how sad would it be if I dont get to try it??

Curry checklist:

Ethiopia
http://www.ethiopia-curry.com/
Yelp
don't kno anything about this place. I was curious about curry and asked my roommate for recommendations and this is one he gave me.

Kitchen Nankai
Yelp
TripAdvisor
another recommendation from the roommate. This looks like a katsu curry spot so shuold be a great alternative to Cocoichi or Gogo.

Moyan
http://www.moyan.jp/
Yelp
just a random yelp recommendation; figured I may as well add it to the list.

Miscellaneous checklist:

Blacows.
http://www.kuroge-wagyu.com/bc/top.html
http://www.eataku.com/post/50899608856/blacows-burgers-tokyo
omg I really wanna go here! got dang~!!!

so that's basically the plan for me! if anybody else has some great recommendations please feel free to share!!

Just got back from my first trip to Japan.

Friday: Narita Airport, Nakanosakaue, Akihabara
Saturday: Nakanosakaue, Shinjuku Station breakfast, Nakanosakaue, Akihabara
Sunday: Nakanosakaue, Ikebukuro, Akihabara, Nakanosakaue to pick up checked luggage, Narita Airport.

Time: 52 Hours
Reason: 4th of 4 people representing Americas in English Weiss Schwarz Bushiroad World Championships. Free trip and hotel.
Where: Nakanosakaue

I placed second. So I'm second best anime card game player in the world~

Sunday: Nakanosakaue, Ikebukuro, Akihabara, Nakanosakaue to pick up checked luggage, Narita Airport.

Everythingday was Akihabara

SKINNER!

Banned
This is going to be the first year I won't be traveling to Japan and words cannot describe how much I miss the place.

Japan feels like a second home to me now. First time in August 2013 I traveled alone. Tokyo > Kamakura Kyoto > Nara > Osaka. Wandered around the country in marvel. Attended Tokyo Game Show. Ghibli Museum. My first time there has to be one of the most unforgettable experiences I've ever had. 2nd time in July 2014, I woke up to the World Cup, traveled as far as Hiroshima. Visiting the Miyajima Island at 7am was so breathtaking and peaceful. Bought a new Vita and near mint second hand PS4 for a ridiculously cheap price. 3rd time round last June, I was lucky enough to take my girlfriend with me and witness her excitement of visiting a country she's always dreamed of visiting. Re-tracing the footsteps I took when I first went and trying new things. First time seeing Hakone, I forgot where I was because it was that tranquil. She now wants to go back so badly. We still got a lot more to see in Japan. Okinawa and Hokkaido for a start.

To the new travelers going for the first time this year; I envy you :)
To the frequent travelers going this year either for work or pleasure; you lucky bastards :p

Why so short? Was it a business trip?

Top Bottom