• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan Travel |OT| One does simply not visit just once

cj_iwakura

I'll be doing Nakano Broadway today. If you see a tall bearded foreigner in glasses and a blue t-shirt, say hi! :)
Was there after 5pm. My legs ache, heh. Mandarake Galaxy was a joy. Found The Silver Case, Danganronpa 1's artbook, and Robotics;Notes' artbook for $25.
Also saw Kabukicho and Shibuya. Kabukicho was unreal. It felt like being in Yakuza.

Was there after 5pm. My legs ache, heh. Mandarake Galaxy was a joy. Found The Silver Case, Danganronpa 1's artbook, and Robotics;Notes' artbook for $25.
Also saw Kabukicho and Shibuya. Kabukicho was unreal. It felt like being in Yakuza.

We had left by then. I got Masterpiece Bumblebee at that awesome Mandarake place on the 2F. Also found a Queen's Blade figure and some small stuff. There's probably overall more stuff here than in Mandarake at Akiba, and it's not so cramped. I did find Rondo of Blood, but for 25000 yen I will have to pass. Still no luck with Suikoden for Saturn. Does this damn thing even exist?

We went to Tokyo Budokan and entered open training in naginata. The ladies there were surprised to see us but very helpful. Knowing martial arts language helped a LOT even though we understood very little else, and we ended up getting a thorough beginner training and had a great time. Now I want to start doing naginata-do too.

FlyingHugeMan

Neo Member
Hey guys !

So for my next trip to Japan, I plan to climb Mt. Fuji (at least try ;__;)

I aleady got a lot of basic informations through official websites (http://www.fujisan-climb.jp/en and such).
I am mostly looking for your experiences. Like which trail did you use ? Did you stay in a mountain hut ? How are you still alive ? That kind of stuff !

Thanks

Hey guys !

I aleady got a lot of basic informations through official websites (http://www.fujisan-climb.jp/en and such).
I am mostly looking for your experiences. Like which trail did you use ? Did you stay in a mountain hut ? How are you still alive ? That kind of stuff !

Thanks

There's like 9 stations and a bus can take you to station 5.
The rest is steeper and that's where the fun starts.
Going up took us 4 hours, going down 3 hours.
You should bring with you good shoes (no flipflops or shit like that), a good rainjacket that keeps you warm the higher you go, sunglasses, sun screen and maybe a hat and a surgicial mask (because of the dust). Also enough food and water. There are small houses and vending machines at each station, but they are quite expensive.

When you climb through the clouds you'll notice that the atmosphere is definitely getting thinner and you need to catch your breath more often. Also the sun will become stronger.

There's, at least when we were there, only one common trail you can use. There's lots of people going up and down there, including children and elder people.
When you start early (like before 10am) it won't be any problem.

Hey guys !

Thanks

A one day climb is possible, but if you're saying "try" I guess you don't have a ton of hiking experience, which means you'll want to stay in a bit overnight. Which also means you'll want to pay very close attention to when the huts start booking space. It fills up fast and I was late on it which meant the only place that had room was Goraikoukan, which is the hut nearest the summit.

I did it back in 2014 and took the Yoshida trail. I won't necessarily rehash what the websites say, equipment-wise just need to have clothes for cold.

Some advice:
-Three liters of water. I brought two and ran out during the descent. And that was rough.

-Bring a little money as there is food available on the trail and at the summit.

-JR East has a pass that covers the train to Kawaguchiko and then a bus from the train station to the 5th station and back.

-Sleeping at the hut is basically packed in shoulder-to-shoulder with other people which can get rough and everyone will get up at like 2 am to reach the summit by sunrise.

-You can by cans of oxygen at the supply store at the 5th station. If you're like me and have spent an entire life at sea level it might be helpful at the summit. They were like $8.

cj_iwakura

Okonomiyaki isn't that common, is it? First place I saw selling it was in Kabukicho. Maybe Tokyo? Also, thought BBQ would be more common for some reason...

Okonomiyaki isn't that common, is it? First place I saw selling it was in Kabukicho. Maybe Tokyo? Also, thought BBQ would be more common for some reason...

The first time we went to Japan, we spent a while looking for some. There was a vendor near Asakusa who sold it. Otherwise, I remember there being tons of signs on buildings that said お好み焼き. Especially in Shinjuku and Kabukicho areas as you said. We ended up deciding that it wasn't that great so we only got it in Asakusa though. Also keep an eye out for もんじゃ焼き. It's similar and I think it's supposed to be pretty common around Tokyo.

Zoe

Okonomiyaki is more of a western Japan thing anyway.

What do you mean by BBQ?

Hey guys, just finishing up my itinerary now.

Was wondering if you can buy suica cards at Narita Airport? I fly in at around 7pm if that makes any difference. Tried googling it and it seems that they do, but I can't find confirmation on the airport's website.

Won

Maybe someone here can help me out. My airline cancelled my return flight for my trip during the summer and replaced it with a flight that departs earlier, at 10:25 am from Narita. I spend my last night at Hakone though. Googling the crap out of the internet, checking all kind of busses and trains, that sounds close to impossible, am I right?

SKINNER!

Banned
Maybe someone here can help me out. My airline cancelled my return flight for my trip during the summer and replaced it with a flight that departs earlier, at 10:25 am from Narita. I spend my last night at Hakone though. Googling the crap out of the internet, checking all kind of busses and trains, that sounds close to impossible, am I right?

I briefly googled "Hakone to Narita" and found that there are trains that depart from 5am and the journey is 3 hours long. I think you'll be fine.

cj_iwakura

Saw the shinagawa aquarium today. Not as nice as I expected but worth seeing. Tokyo tomorrow and maybe Ueno Park. Is the temple in shinagawa worth seeing? I read that the 47 Ronin are interred there?

Won

I think the bus from the hotel takes at least half an hour to Gotemba, of course no idea how early they start doing their rounds. I think it's possible, I just wonder if it's not too stressful. I stay in Hakone to end the trip chilled out and with my previous flight it would have worked out perfectly.

I most likely just gonna cut out a night in Kyoto and stay the last night in Tokyo, hopefully not bored out of my mind.

cj_iwakura

I don't think being bored in Tokyo is possible.

Speaking of which, where the cat cafes at? I'm tempted to visit the MaiDreamin Cafe in Akihabara but I feel like I'll regret it.

I think the bus from the hotel takes at least half an hour to Gotemba, of course no idea how early they start doing their rounds. I think it's possible, I just wonder if it's not too stressful. I stay in Hakone to end the trip chilled out and with my previous flight it would have worked out perfectly.

Buses starts running around 6:30-7:00 depending on where your hotel is. Kinda cutting it close if you're not taking a taxi then.

If your hotel is close(r) to Hakone-Yumoto it's better to take the route through Odawara instead.

Won

Buses starts running around 6:30-7:00 depending on where your hotel is. Kinda cutting it close if you're not taking a taxi then.

If your hotel is close(r) to Hakone-Yumoto it's better to take the route through Odawara instead.

Yeah, I think I will try shuffling my bookings and stay in Tokyo the last night. Just gonna do some shopping and pick up some souvenirs. Thanks.

I showed Steins;Gate to my ex and she couldn't believe those were a real thing.

Go to the one from Steins;Gate and get Steins;Gate omuraisu like I did:
ep2-19m26s.jpg

cj_iwakura

Heh, feels like every time I spend a lot of money on a meal I realize the times I spent less money were actually more enjoyable. Katsudon with ramen for like $6 is a lot more enjoyable than $11 okonomiyaki.

Is it worth going across the bay on my final day to see the giant Gundam?

There's more than just the giant Gundam in Odaiba. Check out the Toyoto Museum if you like cars, there's the Leisureland arcade, the Miraikan science museum with that GameOn exhibit and Asimo + other robots, and the Tokyo Joypolis indoor amusement park. And there's all the shopping malls as well of course.

There's more than just the giant Gundam in Odaiba. Check out the Toyoto Museum if you like cars, there's the Leisureland arcade, the Miraikan science museum with that GameOn exhibit and Asimo + other robots, and the Tokyo Joypolis indoor amusement park. And there's all the shopping malls as well of course.

I'm adding that to my itinerary then.

Thanks for all of the advice and knowledge you share, man :)

cj_iwakura

Interesting, but I'm already dreading how I'm gonna get this Fate/Zero figure into my luggage, heh. Last thing I need to do is buy any more stuff.

PowerTaxi

Banned

I was not prepared for that mini roller coaster.

Darksol

Heh, feels like every time I spend a lot of money on a meal I realize the times I spent less money were actually more enjoyable. Katsudon with ramen for like $6 is a lot more enjoyable than $11 okonomiyaki.

There's ¥300 okonomiyaki that I like more than some of the most expensive meals I've ate in Japan :p

I'm adding that to my itinerary then.

Thanks for all of the advice and knowledge you share, man :)

No problem :)

There's some more stuff on Odaiba like the Oedo Onsen Theme Park and the Fuji TV building and the Telecom Center that got observatory floors, but I've not been there so dunno how good those are. And there's some smaller stuff like a ferris wheel, the Statue of Liberty copy, the Panasonic center and a noitaminA shop if you're into anime. Oh, and the view of the Rainbow Bridge is nice at night when it's illuminated.

No problem :)

There's some more stuff on Odaiba like the Oedo Onsen Theme Park and the Fuji TV building and the Telecom Center that got observatory floors, but I've not been there so dunno how good those are. And there's some smaller stuff like a ferris wheel, the Statue of Liberty copy, the Panasonic center and a noitaminA shop if you're into anime. Oh, and the view of the Rainbow Bridge is nice at night when it's illuminated.

The Fuji TV building runs a light show at night too, so you should check that out along with the Gundam.

Stuart444

Don't go too early though, since most stuff doesn't open until 10 or 11.

THIS! We made that mistake and ended up sitting on a beach for a while (which was pretty nice, and quite. Looking out at the Rainbow Bridge and watching some of the early folks out doing stuff) at 8am or so before deciding to ride the Yurikamome around for a while. (before deciding to go to the Miraikan for the GameOn event that is. It even had some benches nearby that we could sit on while waiting for it to open)

Generally in Japan, you only go early if you know the place you're going opens early. (in Odaiba's case, most things don't open til 10 - 11am like Mike said) Otherwise, you'll be walking around for a bit aimlessly trying to waste time :p

Better book hotel rooms early if you're going:
http://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/20...-target-hotels-are-already-full/#.VxCg4lRXaVM
As more foreign tourists come to Japan, it has been increasingly hard to find hotel rooms.

According to JTA, the average occupancy rate of hotels and inns nationwide was 60.5 percent in 2015, up from 51.8 percent in 2011.

A prefectural breakdown showed that the so-called golden route between Tokyo and Osaka was in heavy use. Hotels in Osaka had 85.2 percent occupancy, Tokyo had 82.3 percent, Kyoto 71.4 percent, Aichi 70.9 percent and Chiba 70.7 percent.

I was thinking of going in the morning and spending the day at Akihabara.

Tip for Odaiba: eat lunch at the food court just behind the Gundam. They have a pretty western friendly way to order and there's a HUGE selection. Some portions are tiny though - what you see is what you get.

So my trip is in two weeks... we generally have everything planned but I was wondering if there were any general travel advice specfiically for Japan that I should be looking out for...

Travel SIM? Trains? Other customary things like that that we might have missed

cj_iwakura

So my trip is in two weeks... we generally have everything planned but I was wondering if there were any general travel advice specfiically for Japan that I should be looking out for...

Don't feel obligated to take the express train unless you're in a rush. Waste of $20. And bring yen.

Don't feel obligated to take the express train unless you're in a rush. Waste of $20. And bring yen.

I'm looking at the banks at the airport now. I'm assuming I should just take out money before I fly out there? It says that there are different exchange rates at each bank. I'm thinking of going to Bank of Tokyo because it's located at the same area as the post office where I can pick up my SIM

Rent a Wifi device from Tocoo or similar. Try to avoid rush hour on the busiest train and subway lines if possible, and don't eat while on normal trains :p

Oh, and be prepared for standing on buses and trains and lots of queues.

Rent a Wifi device from Tocoo or similar. Try to avoid rush hour on the busiest train and subway lines if possible, and don't eat while on normal trains :p

Oh, and be prepared for standing on buses and trains and lots of queues.

Cool. I think both our Air BnBs have pocket wifis. I just bought the travel SIM just for backup

cj_iwakura

I'm looking at the banks at the airport now. I'm assuming I should just take out money before I fly out there? It says that there are different exchange rates at each bank. I'm thinking of going to Bank of Tokyo because it's located at the same area as the post office where I can pick up my SIM
A local currency exchange in Florida did it for next to nothing.

Cool. I think both our Air BnBs have pocket wifis. I just bought the travel SIM just for backup

I'm going in two weeks with my friend as well, I was thinking of ordering one Pocket Wifi for pickup at the airport because the pocket wifi at the AirBnB is limited to 1gb per 3 days :p

I asked this before but didn't I'm still not sure. I want to see Civil War there when it comes out but I'm not sure which theatre or where I could go see it in English? And I google'd what the release date was for CW in Japan and it said April 29th, is that for sure? Lol pls help :(

Top Bottom