• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jason Scheier: Hogwarts Legacy Director's Cut in the works

Draugoth

Gold Member
72ce0a17215521a167c3da579db4cc48a2f7a52eacc81ad985ba20fd6817fdc2

From his Bloomberg article about what went wrong with Suicide Squad: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...s-200-million-flop-haunts-the-gaming-industry

Many of the studio’s employees are now helping to develop a new “director’s cut” version of Hogwarts Legacy. At the same time, according to people familiar, the studio leaders are looking to pitch a new single-player game, which would return Rocksteady to its roots.

Last edited:
Interesting comment here from a redditor.
I think the article is burying the lede on this bit. Hogwarts Legacy had a LOT of cut content and mechanics due to the difficulty of delivering a fun game within the scope constraints. Stuff got cut because it wasn't fun and there wasn't enough time/resources to work out how to make it fun. There's a lot of stuff like curfew, morality systems, much deeper friendship systems with key NPCs, and stuff that were all cut. And a number of subplots were significantly trimmed.

I half expect the director's cut will be a paid upgrade, and people will absolutely pay for it.
This Director's Cut looks to be quite ambitious if they add in all those cut systems into the game.

Chuck Berry

Gold Member

This Director's Cut looks to be quite ambitious if they add in all those cut systems into the game.

There's no way that's going to be it. People seriously believe this? :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Its WB. It'll be the same game with all of the preorder DLC bullshit and console exclusive bonus mission(s) added along with whatever is in that itty bitty incoming Summer update.

What the redditor is describing sounds like stuff that's possibly being saved for the sequel. Or he's simply pulling it all out of his ass.

I go with the latter.

Sorry, but this makes no sense. It's not like they cut fully working stuff from the game.

How do you know? Other than the drama around the game, it felt an incredibly shallow experience. Hogwarts outside of visuals and details was boring as hell and I called it out when I played it, that this game felt like it had a TON of stuff missing from it. Actually, you can easily tell when playing the game. How the fuck do you make a Harry Potter game without quiditch and why are there like 3 enemy types the entire game? A ton of quests felt like they were missing choices and whatnot, exploration and puzzles were just copy pasted and you could tell they wanted to make more and so many many things that could've been day one.

Last edited:

Dazraell

Gold Member
Make a expansion to the game, or make hogwarts 2.
If I would have to guess Avalanche is already in pre-production stage of the sequel. Working on the Director's Cut thing to possibly bring cut content and address some of the issues mentioned by players at launch is a smart choice as while some of the team is busy with laying foundations for the sequel, devs who aren't needed at that time of the development can work on improving the first game and looks like Rocksteady is involved with it which means it may be something larger than just a small update

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Director's Cut, huh?

Well, first and foremost they need to get rid of boring af Destiny like loot, terrible exploration rewards, actually make an RPG and not Fallout 4, make characters and writing better, get rid of half of openworld puzzles most of which are exactly the same, throw into window half of enemy camps, make character progression better via complete overhaul (you can max out every skill very early in the game and then it's just an effin' cake walk), make the actual Hogwart's experience without fetch quests, potion making to progress the story etc, eradicate goddamn timers, etc. etc. Now that's what I would call a Definitive Edition which sound far better than Director's Cut.

Will they do all that? Fuck no.

Last edited:

Kenpachii

Well they released just a update

5 june 2024

Build Version – 1218405

Developer notes
This Patch unlocks the
Haunted Shop mission
previously available only to Sony platforms on all supported platforms, as well as all previously exclusive items and cosmetics, including:
  • The
    Onyx Hyppogriff mount
  • the
    Felix Felicis Potion
  • the
    Shopkeeper Cosmetic set

It also includes new, never seen before cosmetic items, AND a new broom:

• The
    Lavender Borealis
  • The
    Azkaban Themed gear
  • The
    Circular Taped Spectacles

A
Photo Mode
has also been added to allow players to capture screenshots of their Hogwarts Legacy experience and all their newly unlocked cosmetics. *Photo mode will become available after completing the mission to gain access the field guide.

In addition, this patch also provides players with a
talent point reset function
, to re-build your ideal Witch/Wizard without having to start a new playthrough. Multiple bugs have also been addressed (Details below).

Localization
  • Implemented several updated localized Voice Over retakes for Japanese and Spanish.
  • Fixed the Brazilian Portuguese translation of “Silver Rim Spectacles”.
  • Fixed a Typo in the “Wingardium Leviosa” French spell description.
  • Fixed several Voice Over cut-offs throughout the game.

Audio
  • Fixed several Voice Over cut-offs throughout the game.
  • Fixed instance where the SFX/Dialogue Volume would become louder than the music Volume while using stereo devices and being set to 50%. HL-12010

UI
  • Fixed instance that made player unable to select field guide pages’ options when accessing the menu while holding down the basic spell cast button. HL-1052
  • Fixed instance where loading a Manual Save or Fast traveling to certain locations would cause alohamora prompts to disappear from magical beast cages. HL-6258
  • Fixed instance where Dark Arts spells would become not equippable after equipping regural spells in loadout 1. HL-643
  • Fixed instance where the mission icon for the last arc of the Broom race would linger on screen after completion.

Gameplay
  • Removed butterflies misleading players to previously opened treasure chests. HL-10269
  • Fixed Instance where using the Swift talent on the edge of the map would cause mission progression to linger on the “Seach for the Rune Symbol” step. HL-15794

Achievements
  • Fixed instance where the Fountain on Hogwarts grounds flying field guide page wouldn’t count towards the Map Counters or The Bell Tower Wing Sector. HL-2376

NPC
Fixed instance where Lodgok would occasionally remain stuck inside the Hogshead in Hogsmeade instead of traveling to the Witch’s Tomb, preventing player progression. HL-15831

• Fixed instance where it wouldn’t be possible for the avatar to climb and reach a treasure chest in the High Keep. HL-15709
  • Fixed instance where the Legendary Masquerade Masks would clip within the avatar’s face when equipped. HL-4453
  • Fixed instance where swimming to treasure vault near Keenbridge would cause the avatar to fly into the air. HL-47

Navigation
  • Fixed instance where Professor Garlick and Professor Hecat could get stuck moving in the air after leaving the hospital.
  • Fixed instance where a loading screen would cause a cage door to lock up again without regenerating an alohamora lock on it in a bandit camp on the north end of the map. HL-16327
  • Fixed instance where loading a save and fast travelling to any location would make alohomora locks disappear from fixed cages. HL-6258
  • Fixed instance where bone clusters would lose collision and fall through the floor when interacted with.

Combat
  • Fixed Instance where Loyalist assassin enemies’ attacks would not damage the avatar. HL-16614

Lighting
  • Fixed instance where blinding lighting VFX would display when exiting the Hallway castle vault.
  • Fixed instance where light changes would be visible when the camera angle shifts while in conversation with Professor Garlick in the Greenhouse. HL-687

Accessibility
  • Fixed instance where setting left handed mode while in the vivarium caused the avatar to drink a potion or deploy combat plants while attempting to access the beasts’ menu. HL-8911

Miscellaneous
  • Updated Credits

PC
  • SDK Updates/Platform support
    • Razer Chroma SDK support
    • Streamline 2.4
    • DLSS 3.7
    • FSR 2
    • XeSS 1.3
    • DualSense/DualShock Controller 1.5.0 for improved PC support

• UI
    • Fixed instance where the Spell menu would become inaccessible after binding Spell Selection to the TAB key, preventing player progression. HL-16635
    • Fixed instance where game would freeze whenever two HUDS would overlap.
    • Fixed instance where the background of the menu would flash white when switching to a lower graphics preset.

• Lighting
    • Fixed instance where moving the camera while on a specific Merlin Puzzle platform in Keenbridge would cause a strobe effect on the lighting.
    • Fixed instance where ambient hues would change abruptly when moving the camera in Hogsmeade.

• Raytracing
    • Cleaned up rogue semi-translucent meshes in BVH.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Didn't that mission just come out as part of free summer update on all platforms?

As DLC, yessir. They can probably just slap it all on a disc, add a couple more items and re-release it as a new SKU priced $40 for a bajillion more sales.

Dazraell

Gold Member

Yeah, I've seen some datamined stuff in the past and that cut content included proper morality system, house points and even companions who can follow you and comment on side quests, enemies or locations. Not only the main three side characters from a main story were companions, but it had two more (Ravenclaw guy and a Slytherin girl from broom challenges)

Raven117

Gold Member
No way all of those systems are coming in. Hell, the article itself said they were either not fun or didn’t work.

I hope they are already well into Hogwarts 2 and working on implementing those systems.

I’m not a big HP fan, but I thought the game absolutely nailed the vibe with some quests being great (others not so much). Really enjoyed the game.

Let’s see what a sequel looks like

Hogwarts Legacy was Okay for what it was, but definitely lacked in the “Harry Potter” feeling of it. A sequel hopefully will work more like a Party based game, maybe similar to Mass Effect, where you can have two friends join you for the adventure, and have some Bully injected into it too, where you have to do stuff at night, but you have to sneak around and stuff and be back before the next day, while also having to attend school or fail the classes.

Sneaking around can become easier later in the game once you have a cloak of invisibility.

For the classes stuff, not sure how Persona works (hoping to start with 4 during the summer) but I guess maybe it can grab something from there too. Or maybe Majora’s Mask (or Elder Scrolls) where people have their schedules.

I think the combat was fine and the exploration was ok, although it was slow and unrewarding. But for it being the first attempt from this studio and this IP, I think the game was pretty decent. Like an 8/10. Given the success it had, hopefully we can have a more ambitious sequel.

Fredrik

Any reason why we should buy games day 1 anymore? No? None?
Maybe to not have a story spoiled? Other than that. No idea. Everything is better after a year or two. I’ve played 20 hours of this game on PS5, dropped out, rebought it on Steam but have only just installed it, and now they want me to buy it again? sigh

Last edited:

Fake

What on earth does this have to do with Rocksteady? Completely different developer.

This is about his article about Suicide Squad flop.

Despite the painful setback, Warner Bros. isn’t giving up on video games, a $262 billion global industry, according to PwC, that will grow to $312 billion in 2027. During the February meeting in London, Haddad said that Warner Bros. Games was looking to do more collaboration between its dozen studios and that the company was understaffed compared to competing publishers, so job cuts at Rocksteady wouldn’t make sense.

Many of the studio’s employees are now helping to develop a new “director’s cut” version of Hogwarts Legacy. At the same time, according to people familiar, the studio leaders are looking to pitch a new single-player game, which would return Rocksteady to its roots.

Saber

Gold Member

But it's stated that some "were not fun".

I'm all for cool and interesting mechanics to being put back, but if those are just annoying and serves no purpose whats the point? Theres too the chance of them inserting stuff that makes no sense with Hogwarts other than win brownie points.
Also I don't trust modern Rockystead touching the game either. These are the guys who brought Suicide Squad, I want distance from them.

Last edited:
Top Bottom