• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jason Scheier: Hogwarts Legacy Director's Cut in the works

Nonehxc

Well they released just a update

5 june 2024
Lightning and hue problems when camera angles change during convos were sure one weird bug pre this patch, hope they have fixed it for good. Dunno if it had something to do with HDR. I finished it a few days ago before this dropped and every time I would talk with ANY professor and camera changed, it would go from the usual colorful, vibrant and great HDR to a somewhat muted version of it. Not like it was supermuted and ugly, but sure I was like 'where all my shiniez go' ☹️✨

Last edited:

Deerock71

lindsay lohan snl GIF

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
They didn't drop the ball, they're making a sequel and going right to it, rather than spending a bunch of time on DLC.

Leaving millions of dollars on the table with no good or interesting DLC that expands gameplay and fun for a year since launch qualifies as dropping the ball.

They probably did this because they were having a Suicide Squad circle jerk at all of their shareholder meetings.

Saber

Gold Member
Leaving millions of dollars on the table with no good or interesting DLC that expands gameplay and fun for a year since launch qualifies as dropping the ball.

They probably did this because they were having a Suicide Squad circle jerk at all of their shareholder meetings.

Theres also the possibility of internal fights over the game and all the J.K fiasco. I almost certain these guys have alot of envy and hate for her, but the game brings the money.

Again, *they’re making a sequel* which will earn far more revenue for them than paid DLC

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Again, *they’re making a sequel* which will earn far more revenue for them than paid DLC

Yes I know that, and this doesn't address the point I made. A good company would accurately anticipate the market demand for DLC and have plans in place to sell DLC and make money in the months and years after launch until a sequel or expansion is ready. A great company would make DLC that expands the base game in a very meaningful and fun way. Apparently WB fails at both of these tasks.

Not having any DLC plans in the interim between the first game and the sequel and missing out on all that profit and brand strengthening marketing is dropping the ball.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Theres also the possibility of internal fights over the game and all the J.K fiasco. I almost certain these guys have alot of envy and hate for her, but the game brings the money.

I'm not sure about that because there haven't been any leaks or rando twitter outbursts that indicate that, and the game respects the source material quite well. This doesn't feel like a development team that hates the source, or thinks that it can do better with its own stupid ideas.

Saber

Gold Member
I'm not sure about that because there haven't been any leaks or rando twitter outbursts that indicate that, and the game respects the source material quite well. This doesn't feel like a development team that hates the source, or thinks that it can do better with its own stupid ideas.

Thats why I said that the game brings the money. These kinda of social mental outbursts wouldn't do well for the image of the game that is doing incredibly well., they would be justing shooting on their own foots.
Think yourself what would happen to the game if they started spreading this shit during the development and release of the game. Too much risk of losing their precious propfit, since its one of best games as it hasn't fallen from top sellers until this day. Complete suicide, would be smarter to just let the steam goes down(which doesn't look like gonna happen anytime soon).

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Thats why I said that the game brings the money. These kinda of social mental outbursts wouldn't do well for the image of the game that is doing incredibly well., they would be justing shooting on their own foots.

But this was also the case before the game was released and anyone knew it would be a banger.

Think yourself what would happen to the game if they started spreading this shit during the development and release of the game. Too much risk of losing their precious propfit, since its one of best games as it hasn't fallen from top sellers until this day. Complete suicide, would be smarter to just let the steam goes down(which doesn't look like gonna happen anytime soon).

Low level grunts who don't receive a share of the profits and who are probably more likely prone to Twitter outbursts still didn't do anything publicly. And they still respected the source material more than a development team who is resentful of the author would.

nemiroff

Gold Member
I don't get it. What's the point (honest question)?

Edit: I mean, except obviously the investors want to make more money off it, but what's in it for people like me who already spent considerable time in it?

Last edited:

Saber

Gold Member
But this was also the case before the game was released and anyone knew it would be a banger.

Completelly irrelevant.

Low level grunts who don't receive a share of the profits and who are probably more likely prone to Twitter outbursts still didn't do anything publicly. And they still respected the source material more than a development team who is resentful of the author would.

It would still be the word of people working inside which could be aggravated by gaming sites. Even they wouldn't be that stupid to damage their own reputation over a silly thing like posting twitter outbursts. Not to mention Reera type of posts where doing this game more favors than damage, so why even bother?
I still see no valid reason to believe otherwise. Only time will tells me if there was any kind of internal dispute or not, seems too fishy that they didn't take the opportunity to milk this game further in their favor.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Completelly irrelevant.

Actually, it's very relevant. If your conjecture is that "these kinda of social mental outbursts wouldn't do well for the image of the game that is doing incredibly well", then there would be less resistance to these kinds of social media outbursts before the game is released and before it's a big success. The prime time to socially capitalize on performative outrage against the game would be pre-release when everyone else was doing it too.

It would still be the word of people working inside which could be aggravated by gaming sites. Even they wouldn't be that stupid to damage their own reputation over a silly thing like posting twitter outbursts.

I don't think these guys are any different from other employees in history who have trashed some aspect of their game for social media brownie points.

I still see no valid reason to believe otherwise.

The most valid reason would be because there's no evidence for your belief, just feelings. The fact is, nobody said shit, and they respected the source material. A dev team that hates the author doesn't respect the source material to the extent that Avalanche did.

Only time will tells me if there was any kind of internal dispute or not,

True

seems too fishy that they didn't take the opportunity to milk this game further in their favor.

Also true, but this makes the most sense in the context of executive stupidity because they ignored HL in favor of SS.

Yes I know that, and this doesn't address the point I made. A good company would accurately anticipate the market demand for DLC and have plans in place to sell DLC and make money in the months and years after launch until a sequel or expansion is ready. A great company would make DLC that expands the base game in a very meaningful and fun way. Apparently WB fails at both of these tasks.

Not having any DLC plans in the interim between the first game and the sequel and missing out on all that profit and brand strengthening marketing is dropping the ball.
It fundamentally does address the point you made. What they are doing is they are deliberately putting all of those resources directly into the sequel, rather than splitting their team and spending a bunch of time on DLC. You are trying to make an argument that they are handling their business badly by not making DLC. Just because you personally want DLC and demand it, doesn't mean they are somehow bad at running their business simply because you aren't getting what you want.

Honestly they are better off by fast-tracking a sequel and getting it going quicker, and thus releasing it sooner. There is far more money to be made from a $70 Hogwarts Legacy II, than inexpensive piecemeal DLC for the first one, that takes time and energy, & content, away from what would otherwise end up in the sequel.

I don't see any failure here, only someone who wants DLC and is disappointed they are not getting it.

Last edited:

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
It fundamentally does address the point you made.

No it doesn't. The point I made was that they had no plans for DLC, and thus are leaving money on the table. This is objectively true. The fact that they decided to go for a sequel after the fact has nothing to do with the point I made. Your point with the sequel is in the context of "oh shit our game is a success we should make a sequel!". My point is in the context of "Hey I'm pretty sure this HL game we're making based off of one of the hugest IPs in history is going to sell well, so let's queue up some additional things for the fans to buy in the months after release".

What they are doing is they are deliberately putting all of those resources directly into the sequel, rather than splitting their team and spending a bunch of time on DLC. You are trying to make an argument that they are handling their business badly by not making DLC. Just because you personally want DLC and demand it, doesn't mean they are somehow bad at running their business simply because you aren't getting what you want.

Honestly they are better off by fast-tracking a sequel and getting it going quicker, and thus releasing it sooner. There is far more money to be made from a $70 Hogwarts Legacy II, than inexpensive piecemeal DLC for the first one, that takes time and energy, & content, away from what would otherwise end up in the sequel.

I don't see any failure here, only someone who wants DLC and is disappointed they are not getting it.

Again, this isn't my point.

Answering the following yes or no questions will illuminate my point.

Does a company in a capitalist economy want to make money?
Does a company that wants to make money have plans in place to re-monitize its product after launch? (In the context of games, this would be DLC)
Would a company make more money overall by selling just a game and its sequel, OR a game, its sequel, and multiple DLCs in the 5 year interim between the game and the sequel.
Did WB fail to optimize their profits by not prepping DLC for the post-release window in addition to greenlighting a sequel that won't be out for years?

Top Bottom