• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jeff Grubb: Perfect Dark is in a rough state

BlackTron

Step 1, make the first ever AAAA studio. Step 2, announce what they're going to make before they make anything. Step 3, realize they suck at making games. Step 4, bring in a veteran studio to help. Step 5, realize that the AAAA studio is so bad at making games that even the veteran studio can't help.

Seriously how do you fuck up Perfect Dark? And they did that once already.

They got practice with the Halo franchise, just moving on to the next.

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
Indie developers making cool games like Balatro and Manor Lords.

Meanwhile, AAA studios with millions of dollars to back them after years of development: "we are not even sure of what we are doing! ha ha!"
Sounds like most of the talented AAA game developers moved on after the late 2000's and 2010's. Seems like very few games are really exceptional. (Except the Indie scene)

BlackTron

Sounds like most of the talented AAA game developers moved on after the late 2000's and 2010's. Seems like very few games are really exceptional. (Except the Indie scene)

Makes it real easy to shrug over AAA launch dates and grab the more-finished versions later on sale or for free from Epic or whatever. I'm accumulating more games than ever despite spending less than ever. At rental prices, you don't really give a shit if you don't even return to the game beyond a weekend anyway. No wonder everything is leaning MTX

Stafford

That part about the camera perspective. Are you fucking kidding me? This is starting to remind me of Rare with that ridiculous Everwild situation. In the middle of development after the first trailer they said they didn't yet know what kind of game it would be.

As a big Xbox guy......I can only say... What the FUCK!

BlackTron

The Indiana Jones thing kills me. Like, of all the IPs to go first-person with. "...but, but, we don't want people to think it's an Uncharted clone!" Then don't make a fucking Indy game.

Yeah I don't think it really has anything to do with it seeming like a clone. It's because it's a better fit for the studio because they already know how to put out first person Nazi games.

Maybe they should have swapped developers on these two projects.

K' Dash

Luckily we have a game for people that don’t want to wait for this terrible reboot, it’s called Perfect Dark

Perfect Dark Spy GIF by Rare Ltd

Man I fucking love Elvis ❤️

Magnificent game.

Last edited:

Fake

Perfect example of hell.

I mean, what are those people doing all those years? Are they even going to work?

Is insane.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
Cool setting
Cool storyline with lots of conspiracies
Tons of weapons
Great multiplayer suite
Hot chick protagonist

I think there's a lot of potential for this franchise these days! Except for the hot chick protagonist, maybe MS doesn't like this.

I think there is potential too, just not in the AAA space. It's hard enough to give an existing franchise and be successful, especially when Zero couldn't recapture the magic of the original. Granted the Rare that made that game was different than the Rare that made the original. I probably would have floated a trial boom and let one of the boomer shooter developers work on PD project and see what the reception was like before investing heavily into a big budget sequel.

clarky

Gold Member
Troubled development on a game based purely on nostalgia that has no reason to exist - shocking.
What? Perfect Dark is a classic.

FPS with cool gadgets, Aliens, and PVP? I can see why that type of game has no reason to exist in the videogame space.....LOL

Goldeneye was made by what? 5 people...

I honestly wonder how many millions of dollars, hundreds of people and years dev MS would need to put out a GBA game. I've seen more productive dole queues.

Initiative must have a great suite of pinball machines and book clubs to occupy the staff the past four years if these rumours are true.

Last edited:

clarky

Gold Member
Goldeneye was made by what? 5 people...

I honestly wonder how many millions of dollars, hundreds of people and years dev MS would need to put out a GBA game. I've seen more productive dole queues.

Initiative must have a great suite of pinball machines and book clubs to occupy the staff the past four years if these rumours are true.
Not that they get a pass or are due excuses but you can't compare a game developed 25 years ago to one today.

Last edited:

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
Devils advocate here on the whole "we dont know which perspective we're using" thing, when Suda was making Killer7 he had no idea how the game was going to play until the very last minute and then decided to make it a mix of on rails and first person. The years of development was spent on the visuals and story.

Via the IGN review from 2005:

At one point well into the project's creation cycle, we asked the producer how it played and he told us he didn't know because the studio hadn't yet decided.

So this stuff does happen, and hey, Killer7 turned out to be in my top 5 of all time so you never know how this stuff will end up.

Then again, I dont believe MS has even 1/4 of the talent of Grasshopper.

BlackTron

Cool setting
Cool storyline with lots of conspiracies
Tons of weapons
Great multiplayer suite
Hot chick protagonist

I think there's a lot of potential for this franchise these days! Except for the hot chick protagonist, maybe MS doesn't like this.

MS has been sitting on vast untapped potential for generations. PD is but one of many sad examples of their failure to manifest any of the gold they already have.

simpatico

Cut losses on this one right now. It was a terrible idea from the start. Perfect Dark was popular on N64 because it was effectively GoldenEye 2. These small but outspoken fanbases are really scrambling the antennas of publishers in situations like this.

This is the crisis of not just gaming, but the entire creative arts field, including movies, TV, books, comics, etc.
None of the major corporations involved in interested in creating art, they all just want to create “content”, they would be really happy if they could just release remasters and remakes of past games for ever and pump them out every year, to keep the content flowing. Don’t laugh but in 10 years SE will be making FFVII remake of the remake.
I can't speak for films, but self publishing has been amazing for books. So much good stuff is out there, unconstrained by the big publishing houses. Of course, it can be a bit rough...

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Not that they get a pass or are due excuses but you can't compare a game developed 25 years ago to one today.
We can and we should, because I bet that whatever they put out it'll be a worse game than Goldeneye on the 64.

And yes, I get it, games nowadays are more complex but the dev tools are also much better than those that were available in 97.

Banjo64

cumsessed
We can and we should, because I bet that whatever they put out it'll be a worse game than Goldeneye on the 64.

And yes, I get it, games nowadays are more complex but the dev tools are also much better than those that were available in 97.
You don’t even need to compare between decades (although your point is valid).

You can just look at a studio like Supergiant Games (23 employees) who put out games that are better than anything Microsoft has developed in-house over the past 15 years.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Perfect dark needs to be a AAA game at some point, Microsoft is running out of those.

I would trade a hundred goldeneyes even with poor graphics today for one redfall, with so many people if we were talking indie quality and scope and I was running gamepass I would consider investing that money in smaller indie / mod teams a much more viable and valuable proposition. How many mods / expansions to the 360 port of perfect dark could they have got for that cash? It goes without saying this is apples vs oranges when discussing modern AAA but there is a point when you have to ask what outputs are worth the investment and how broken the production line is when you get zero results.

Last edited:

kyussman

So this game will be cancelled and The Initiative shut down before ever releasing a game.There was a time I thought I would need an Xbox this gen because there was going to be so much good stuff coming.......what a fucking fantasy that ended up being.

I can't speak for films, but self publishing has been amazing for books. So much good stuff is out there, unconstrained by the big publishing houses. Of course, it can be a bit rough...
Just like the Indie gaming side is where the creativity is thriving.

Honestly is there a freaking more insulting thing than a company market their "content" for me to consume. That's like a restaurant telling me that their goal is to make edible substance for me to consume.

clarky

Gold Member

I was speaking about dev time and resources not the quality of the game.

Last edited:

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
I wonder what it’s like working there? Stroll in around 10.30, fart on the desk, browse social media, have a quick look at what crystal dynamics have sent over, say it’s great whatever it is, go to lunch, a afternoon shit in the facilities, 10k steps around the building, home by 5.30.

Yeah exactly. Must be nice. Im sure the salary aint painful either.

Yearly bonuses just to sit on your ass mildly contemplating which perspective would be ideal for your probable shitty experience.

Last edited:

clarky

Gold Member
I would trade a hundred goldeneyes even with poor graphics today for one redfall, with so many people if we were talking indie quality and scope and I was running gamepass I would consider investing that money in smaller indie / mod teams a much more viable and valuable proposition. How many mods / expansions to the 360 port of perfect dark could they have got for that cash? It goes without saying this is apples vs oranges when discussing modern AAA but there is a point when you have to ask what outputs are worth the investment and how broken the production line is when you get zero results.
Again see my post above.

MS strategy is if we can’t win. We will buy and close everything .

Clowns at work
Worked for Nokia, they set back the development of phones for years.... Wait.

Don't worry, when MS fucks off from gaming, no one will remember them in a few years as the industry flourishes like no one has ever seen LMAO

Top Bottom