• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jez Corden:never claimed to be a journalist. i call myself a blogger generally cus i was never trained in journalism, learning as i go.

Guys, you stat looking like a creepy stalkers, creating threads for every reply of him.

iac1oYm.jpeg

AlphaDump

Gold Member
The problem is they come out before Sony announce anything or have a show, only to undercut the fuck out of it. Creating fucked up expectations that don't come realized, or just take the sails out of the hype completely. It's blatantly obvious.

I'd love a real journalist to flex and shred that whole operation apart with just how loaded it is with kickbacks. Microsoft been poisoning the well for way too long.

Toots

Gold Member
Exactly why he was chosen as recipient for leaks, he’s not a journalist and doesn’t know when he’s part of a marketing campaign. But one can argue nowdays journalists are eager to be part of marketing campaigns, they are the watchdogs of the wealthy and powerful. So all in all he’s a better journalist, because he isn’t one.

Astray

These guys couldn't exist in the first place if they weren't shills. That's part of their access to Microsoft.

Microsoft benefited greatly from this relationship and its relationship with their online community, until that became less useful.

Now these guys are largely looking to pivot to be general "gaming journalists" and hoping that one solid reality remains true which is that people have a short memory.
It feels to me like some of them have begun to try and shift away from being purely about Xbox and into PC or multi-platform focused content creation.

I think that signals something, just not sure what that is.

It feels to me like some of them have begun to try and shift away from being purely about Xbox and into PC or multi-platform focused content creation.

I think that signals something, just not sure what that is.

It's kind of the direction the whole industry is going more or less.

When you see how quickly a company like Netflix has grown, imagine if Netflix was exclusive to working only on Samsung TVs. It never would have reached 200 million subscribers.

When you sell a game on one console and it sells 20 million units, but it could have sold 25 million if it was on PC as well, that's hard to stomach.

Nintendo largely works because they sell hardware for profit and their first party games generate significantly higher sales and cost less to develop. This works largely because they've been strengthening IP for 40 years.

Sony and Microsoft's longest running character based IP are barely 20 years old.

BbMajor7th

I mean, gaming isn't really a journalism space - it's an enthusiast space and by 'enthusiast', I mean career fanboys.

Lunarorbit

This is why I just refer to that whole industry as game media. There are very very very few actual gaming journalists out there and instead tons of text and video bloggers. Being that anyone can go online and publish content these days, regardless of their qualifications, gaming media is plagued with people with no integrity. Glorified mouthpieces for their platform overlords.

They adhere to absolutely none of the standards that any actual journalist (should) pride themselves on. And anyone dumb enough to take what any of them say seriously is just as guilty.

People ought to start taking these fucks to court for misinformation and fraud (yes, its fraud to spit out paid-for content but not declare that you are receiving some sort of payment), maybe only then would there at least be some integrity in gaming media.

Mind you, I think publishers/devs are just as guilty if they practice any form of false or misleading marketing. Eg.. CG trailers that look nothing like the actual game you play with no clear disclaimer that what you are seeing is not actual realtime footage.
Yeah there's no lines anymore for gaming media. I don't have anything against jez but I'm also not in the xbox gaming scene.

The real problem here is people's lack of critical thinking skills and media literacy. Im 42 and had a great educational system growing up in Massachusetts. People don't value education anymore and yelling everything at the top of your lungs is how you get attention. People are generally stupider now than 20 years ago.

Nothing against Alanah pierce but she works for Sony now but still portrays herself as an independent journalist. That's super shady. Having a character in a game based on you is fine but I'm going to be extremely critical of your analysis and take it with a grain of salt.

Plus they are all bribed additionally with free games to review and swag like the aforementioned cyberpunk/alanah and the cyber punk chair she got

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Jez and Tom Warren’s “inside information” is just controlled positive information provided by Aaron Greenberg that is shared to them anytime there is a negative news about Xbox to help change the narrative or at least distract. The are basically marketing tools of a fat, bald guy that are paid in a free Game Pass subscriptions and increased Twitter engagement.

BdyxcZ0.jpeg
disgusted not safe for work GIF

Pelta88

In Jez's defence... His underlying mistake is that he believed in a corp and their PR promises. He attached his proverbial wagon to it without understanding that they only care about their share price. The scope of gaming is vast but he's dedicated to reporting on a brand with no mindshare, momentum, and a string of bad decisions especially since the XB1 launch.

Top Bottom