• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jez on the future of Xbox (rumour)

midnightAI

This was all based on stuff Jez Corden said but now he is backtracking and deleting tweets. Jez being Jez.
Or Jez being silenced by Microsoft?

think from dusk till dawn GIF by The Paley Center for Media

onQ123

Aside from being a raving lunatic at times the man is definitely bipolar in terms of what he says and then later backtracks on.

Last edited:

DJ12

If Jez said this then this is just pathetic.

They want to blame everyone but Microsoft.
Sony have had a monopoly since kinect.

And yet they are the ones forcing xbox to release a console taking a $200 dollar hit.

I think everyone's going to be fine, and prices will remain in the same ball park.

People expecting Sony to suddenly up the cost are just butt hurt zealots from the losing brand.

Sadly this is the kind of thing we've been reduced to now is speculating in some wild future where Xbox takes on Ipads and Mac. Even though we know surface sales are cratering. Then I see speculation they are going to take on Steam.

I think we all just need to stop and come to the realization that Xbox is just going to be more of a pub with the hardware out there if you want it. They will maximize revenue and that's that. I have no idea why people want to try and come up with some 4d chess plan that Xbox has to take on some other industry.
I agree. Surface will not be able to take on Apple anything. But it becomes a “value add” to buy MS branded products. It could make young people think twice before jumping to Mac. I say this as a Mac user. But to sell wouldn’t change my mind. But, if I was a kid today, I would certainly think about it. Especially, high school and college age kids with limited income.

In all honesty, the future of Xbox was killed long ago. The future was the evolution of “Xbox Live” and it should have been shopped as the online gaming service across all platforms and pc/mac.

Xbox Live is MS’s main legacy.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Wouldn’t this mean they need some layer in windows to run previous gen Xbox games to preserve BC?

Letting people play their old console library on pc would be a slam dunk imo.

From what I understand, Xbox still runs on a version of Windows and it runs on x86 so there is already a lot of native compatibility between Xbox and Windows. This is all Microsoft's playground so they make their own rules whether it will work or not. I think the challenge here is merging open platforms with closed platforms while maintaining the security and integrity of the closed platform. I imagine there would have to be a secure space on the PC that is encrypted out the wazzoo to make that happen. So the question then becomes will the Xbox part of this PC run in parrallel with Windows or will it need to be booted into directly. Ideally, in my mind, Xbox games will run seemlessly without need for a reboot. Could be that both these environment run in containers of some sort on top of a hypervisor. Not really sure. I know of some of how this stuff works through my work, but I'm sure there are others more knowledgeable who can point out what I'm getting wrong.

“Future Xbox-Hardware gonna be for fans who want it“

As opposed to? Are they just not going to try to bring in new players, and only expect legacy Xbox owners to buy new hardware? I don’t get this comment.

I think he's basically saying that there will be no real reason to buy Xbox over the competition unless you are just a fan of the ecosystem and want to continue to play there.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Why?

Xbox could have a team that would optimise games to run on their fixed hardware.

Valve would be getting 30% cut, so they will benefit from it.

They would buy them so valve wouldn't suck away 30% of every game sold on the Steam store in perpetuity. Something ms doesn't like doing.

“Future Xbox-Hardware gonna be for fans who want it“

As opposed to? Are they just not going to try to bring in new players, and only expect legacy Xbox owners to buy new hardware? I don’t get this comment.
Selling million of units of hardware consistently is not a simple matter of announcing its availability. Unless it’s something essential like phone/pc etc.

I am guessing it will be priced high with little to no marketing. People who can’t live without it are only ones who will buy it.

I am guessing it will be priced high with little to no marketing. People who can’t live without it are only ones who will buy it.
This makes absolutely no sense, and is I'd say about the only outcome with a zero percent chance of happening.

If they put out new hardware they will be intending to sell it.

diffusionx

Gold Member
I bought a Steam Deck and installed Windows as sole operating system.

Can't play FIFA or Fortnite or Call Of Duty on SteamOS plus many more.

What games do the majority of users* play again???? (*Console and PC of course)

Sometimes we all need to take or nerdy glasses off and think ;)
I’d be shocked if 1 out of 100 people are doing this with Steam Deck. It’s so niche and comes at the cost of many advantages of the Deck. You’re better off just buying a ROG Ally or whatever.

Last edited:

THE DUCK

I agree it would have made more sense than buying ABK for more than twice that. But it seems like there's no offer Gabe would take, no matter how high it is. He's already got more money than he will ever spend, so this it about legacy for him. He's managed to achieve the reputation of a hero among millions of people. If he sold Valve to any company, he would instantly spoil that.

Probably true. Perhaps Ms would make a deal with them though for a cut of all steam store sales on thier boxes. Maybe that's why they are considering it.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
"Nobody wanted to give Xbox a chance, so this is what they get with a Sony monopoly"

What Sony monopoly? People who say this are thick as shit. Nintendo is still selling video game hardware. Are they also a monopoly? No. Also, Sony isn't stopping anyone else entering the console market.

Jeff is just bitter that Microsoft are changing course.

Last edited:

THE DUCK

I’d be shocked if 1 out of 100 people are doing this with Steam Deck. It’s so niche and comes at the cost of many advantages of the Deck. You’re better off just buying a ROG Ally or whatever.

And if they do this on console, ms will have fortnite/cod/fifa on the "console" os of the machine. Same might be true if they do the dual boot on a portable, though space might be more of a concern for two os on it.

DAHGAMING

Ah yes Jez the dirty greaser speaking shit again. Shit might be true but that cunt knows as much as we do and just guesses shit, stirs the barrel and wanks off anything xbox real hard.

Top Bottom