• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

July 2015 NPD (U.S. Hardware) Predictions - Closes August 11th

I think MS will win August, September is still undecided and depending if Sony does a price cut or not MS has the rest of the holiday on lock down.
(They still won't close the gap though)

Welfare

I think August will go to Xbox.

September is just straight up PS4's month. MGSV and another Destiny bundle are going to a lot. MS has Forza 6. I can see another big deal for the One, but like last year and this June, it won't push it past the PS4.

October is going to go to Xbox. Even if a PS4 price drop happens in October, it'll probably be at the end of October for November and December, and Xbox is going to have a full month of sales building up to the release of Halo 5.

November and December are the biggest ??? because so many things can happen during those months that we can't say much on yet.

Keep in mind that last year the third party bundles were announced closer to release. The AC Unity XB1 bundle was announced on October 15, and the GTA V PS4 bundle was announced on November 15. I fully expect more bundles to be announced on both sides (Sony's will probably be announced at Paris Games Week) before these games release.

The Halo 5 bundle being announced so early can probably be explained by the fact that they want as many Halo fans to pre-order that "collector's" bundle before launch.

I know there will be new bundles announced, I am talking more about limited edition consoles.

Mattenth

I know this thread is focused on hardware, but anyone have thoughts on software? Expecting a YOY improvement in retail software? Or decline?

Shenmue

Banned
I think Rare Replay will be in the top 3. Don't think there will be a YOY improvement in software.

Oh wait RR was August huh? Top 3 in August.

blakep267

I think Rare Replay will be in the top 3. Don't think there will be a YOY improvement in software.

Oh wait RR was August huh? Top 3 in August.
It's possible. Madden will of course be #1, and I'm guessing gears will be #2

Edit: doesn't Disney infinity come out this month? So I guess that would be #2 the

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
It's possible. Madden will of course be #1, and I'm guessing gears will be #2

Edit: doesn't Disney infinity come out this month? So I guess that would be #2 the

Does Disney Infinity sell that well? I'm going to assume Rare Replay will be in the Top 5 due to it being so cheap.

TomShoe

Banned
Shame I won't be there for the whole NPD fallout, going to watch Aladdin on Broadway, I bet this genie is a pro at stand up.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
Shame I won't be there for the whole NPD fallout, going to watch Aladdin on Broadway, I bet this genie is a pro at stand up.

Is there going to be any real fallout? PS4 will win, and it will probably the usual of CoD, GTA, Minecraft...and whatever else.

I think it was precisely for some of the reasons you outlined. The PS4 has been down in the months without a big game and I just didn't think the continued sales of the Batman bundle would carry over enough to be up over last year.

However, I went back and checked last July's numbers and PS4 was around 187k. And now I think given those numbers, the PS4 is bound to exceed them. I was going off trends but I should've checked the numbers earlier.

Yeah, sorry, I was looking at the numbers from last year as well, but forgot to include them in my argument.
187k should be fairly easy to beat this month. I think that part of the reason the PS4 has been selling under last year (first half of this year) is because of the lack of any prominent bundle/price drop after having been out so long (I am not really counting TLOU as a "bundle").

I think it did better last month, and will be up this month solely because of the fact that they now have a prominent bundle witch adds value in the customer's eye.

Anyways, not long to find out.

Boke1879

The basically free X1 at best buy sale. It's doing huge numbers at least going by the first day. When sales were already likely to be close a sale this amazing will make a difference.

Yup. This amazing deal at Best Buy would definitely be the reason in Xbox taking August. We'll see though.

Xbone had a Madden bundle last year and was still outsold by PS4.

not even that

Madden actually sold more on PS4 even with the xbox bundle sales included

but it will be interesting to see if it still sells more on PS4 in its launch this year

Hey, NPD/PAL threads may be dead but the alternative is worthless junk like in Media Create, look on the bright side!

pal charts :/

hopefully they pick up as we get into the busy season.

TomShoe

Banned
Microsoft is literally giving away free TVs if you buy an Xbox.

I know it's hyperbole but $70 is practically nothing, especially for a games console. I think Xbox has August very close to being in the bag, I'll have to look at last year's NPD to be sure.

Welfare

Microsoft is literally giving away free TVs if you buy an Xbox.

I know it's hyperbole but $70 is practically nothing, especially for a games console. I think Xbox has August very close to being in the bag, I'll have to look at last year's NPD to be sure.

2014 August results were 160k for XB1 and 190k for PS4.

rare replay is nothing that will jump the xbox one to number 1. I can see gears doing it for august, but not rare replay. nobody is buying a xbox one to play old nintendo games. get out of here with that. that is hilarious

Ends next week.

Not soon enough. I'm going through graph withdrawal.

The basically free X1 at best buy sale. It's doing huge numbers at least going by the first day. When sales were already likely to be close a sale this amazing will make a difference.

this.gif

Buy a TV, get an Xbox One? Yeah... that's pretty huge.

Abdiel

Rumour has it that at least 12k units were sold in the first day.

That's huge and seriously boosts XB1's chances of winning the July NPD.

What? The deal started Sunday. Sunday, August 9. This deal had no impact on July. July closed on the first.

Top Bottom